Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFL Thread 18:57 - Dec 16 with 13775 viewsAtThePeake

Apologies to all the NFL fans but a technical issue with the other thread was stopping people from being able to read the later posts. We aren't sure what happened here so thought it was easier to lock the previous thread and start a new one. I won't delete the thread so people can go back and read it if needs be, but it's locked now.

(Really hoping someone starts an NBA thread when we get going in a week or so! Just me? Oh).

Tangled up in blue.

NFL Thread on 19:35 - Dec 16 with 5904 viewsDaleiLama

I prefaced this post with that because it's now looking unlikely we'll be involved in any post-season action come January.

We have 4 paths to the playoffs.

1: We win out
2: We win 2 games and the Ravens lose to either the Jags or Bengals
3: We win 2 games and the Colts lose 2 games
4: We win 2 games and the Browns lose 2 games

That’s it. The bonus scenario is if we win out, and the Bills lose out, we win the division.

Sorry Browns fans, but I have to say probably the most likely possible scenario is no. 4 but it's still a very long shot in my eyes. Big hopes for next year though.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 19:36]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

NFL Thread on 04:56 - Dec 17 with 5831 viewsNigeriamark

NFL Thread on 19:35 - Dec 16 by DaleiLama

I prefaced this post with that because it's now looking unlikely we'll be involved in any post-season action come January.

We have 4 paths to the playoffs.

1: We win out
2: We win 2 games and the Ravens lose to either the Jags or Bengals
3: We win 2 games and the Colts lose 2 games
4: We win 2 games and the Browns lose 2 games

That’s it. The bonus scenario is if we win out, and the Bills lose out, we win the division.

Sorry Browns fans, but I have to say probably the most likely possible scenario is no. 4 but it's still a very long shot in my eyes. Big hopes for next year though.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 19:36]

Your scenario 4 will probably be known this weekend/Monday when we play the Giants. We will lose to the Steelers and should beat the Jets so our season could well rest on this match ( as well as yours !!). The AFC is so strong that even with an extra play off spot, I think a team on 10-6 could still go out
NFL Thread on 10:10 - Dec 17 with 5779 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 04:56 - Dec 17 by Nigeriamark

Your scenario 4 will probably be known this weekend/Monday when we play the Giants. We will lose to the Steelers and should beat the Jets so our season could well rest on this match ( as well as yours !!). The AFC is so strong that even with an extra play off spot, I think a team on 10-6 could still go out

Think you are right with that 10-6 forecast. The scenario above (which I nicked off a Dolphins MB) requires us to beat the Pats and Raiders too. It's possible, but equally possible we lose one or both of those too. If the Bills have nothing more to play for in that last game that would suit us too as they may opt to keep their starters healthy for the play offs.

Like a lot of NFL fans on here, it's just good to have games with some relevance in December. I also heard on a recent broadcast that the Bills and Browns haven't won a play off game this millennium. Fins last win was 2000. I hope at least one of our hapless franchises turns that corner this year.

NFL Thread on 11:22 - Dec 17 with 5763 viewspioneer

NFL Thread on 10:10 - Dec 17 by DaleiLama

Think you are right with that 10-6 forecast. The scenario above (which I nicked off a Dolphins MB) requires us to beat the Pats and Raiders too. It's possible, but equally possible we lose one or both of those too. If the Bills have nothing more to play for in that last game that would suit us too as they may opt to keep their starters healthy for the play offs.

Like a lot of NFL fans on here, it's just good to have games with some relevance in December. I also heard on a recent broadcast that the Bills and Browns haven't won a play off game this millennium. Fins last win was 2000. I hope at least one of our hapless franchises turns that corner this year.

25 years sine a play off win for the Bills. AFC wild card game dec 30 1995 against a team with the opposition teams coach coaching his last game.

Any ideas who that could be DL?

37-22 at the frozen tundra of orchard park. Bills lost to steelers the following week. Many on the current roster werent born then.

Hoping we break the curse this season.
NFL Thread on 14:27 - Dec 17 with 5720 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 11:22 - Dec 17 by pioneer

25 years sine a play off win for the Bills. AFC wild card game dec 30 1995 against a team with the opposition teams coach coaching his last game.

37-22 at the frozen tundra of orchard park. Bills lost to steelers the following week. Many on the current roster werent born then.

Haven't Googled it but has to be Shula? Kick a man when he's down why don't you?
Should have been played in the balmy warmth of the Orange Bowl - far more convivial and no Long Johns needed!

NFL Thread on 19:38 - Dec 17 with 5661 viewspioneer

NFL Thread on 14:27 - Dec 17 by DaleiLama

Haven't Googled it but has to be Shula? Kick a man when he's down why don't you?
Should have been played in the balmy warmth of the Orange Bowl - far more convivial and no Long Johns needed!

To paraphrase the title of a classic cricket book “brightly faded the Don”.

Hall of Fame coach who set records that will never be broken

I miss the 1990s rivaly that led to the Bills v Dolphins being the games you looked out for when the fixtures came out. Kelly v Marino, Cox v Smith (you suck, cox!), Shula v Levy.

Good luck in the quest for the play offs
NFL Thread on 20:21 - Dec 17 with 5644 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 19:38 - Dec 17 by pioneer

To paraphrase the title of a classic cricket book “brightly faded the Don”.

Hall of Fame coach who set records that will never be broken

I miss the 1990s rivaly that led to the Bills v Dolphins being the games you looked out for when the fixtures came out. Kelly v Marino, Cox v Smith (you suck, cox!), Shula v Levy.

Good luck in the quest for the play offs

He was indeed a legend.

I also miss that rivalry. As does Marino - he's stayed in touch with Kelly and supported him in his fight against the big C (which I believe he's free from now)?

As you well know, the game was a lot more physical back in those days and it always felt like two heavyweights slugging it out when the Bills and Fins played and the winner was almost the last man standing. Truly gladiatorial. Obviously player safety is paramount, but it isn't the same game anymore. A lot of people are comparing X (9 ints this year), with Brent Grimes and even Madison and Surtain from back in the day. What a lot of people forget is CBs could get away with so much back then. Now it's literally non-contact after 5 yds - not the same game. Still love it though.

NFL Thread on 08:09 - Dec 18 with 5603 viewsDaleiLama

Spoiler alert - don't read further if you haven't watched Chargers-Raiders yet.

Carr off with a pulled groin and I thought the win would be in the bag, but Mariota backed up well and the Chargers got their first Div game win since '18. Herbert looks like he gets it already and his sneak with 1:29 left in OT effectively eliminates Da Raidaz from post-season action, which in turn will hopefully make our path easier. Having to beat the Pats is not something I ever relish though (unless we manage to pull it off).

Login to get fewer ads

NFL Thread on 16:01 - Dec 21 with 5499 viewsjonahwhereru

Strange how this game is sometimes. I enjoyed the Browns win over the giants more than many of their free scoring wins. They dissected this game and strangled the Giants. To win by more than one score was refreshing, to not concede a TD was unbelievable. To run so little and yet be in control was nice.
Don’t know if anyone saw the Garrett post game interview. It was painful to watch. He was like an asthmatic pit pony. Really doubt he should be playing. I would bench him next week. After all the Steelers game may yet be the most important.
Stanski is still impressive.
NFL Thread on 17:06 - Dec 21 with 5478 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 16:01 - Dec 21 by jonahwhereru

Strange how this game is sometimes. I enjoyed the Browns win over the giants more than many of their free scoring wins. They dissected this game and strangled the Giants. To win by more than one score was refreshing, to not concede a TD was unbelievable. To run so little and yet be in control was nice.
Don’t know if anyone saw the Garrett post game interview. It was painful to watch. He was like an asthmatic pit pony. Really doubt he should be playing. I would bench him next week. After all the Steelers game may yet be the most important.

I hadn't realised the Giants were only a game out of first going into last night's match-up. When they went for it on 4th and 2 instead of taking a virtually automatic 3pts under the shadow of the goalposts early doors I was staggered, but I also don't think it affected the outcome of the game either. Impressive win. Browns are playing well and as I alluded to in the locked thread, are also playing a style of football well suited to the play-offs, which does their chances no harm.

Perversely, the Browns remaining fortunes (or lack of) probably still represent the Fins best chance of getting in, as I would imagine the Ravens and Colts make it.

This season continues to confound. The Jets winning and potentially giving up their shot at Trevor is bewildering. They currently sit at #2 and the Jags will get him as things stand based on strength of opponent. Fins pick courtesy of the Texans improved to #6 so that brought a smile to my face.

In the end though, the only thing that matters this year is the Chiefs:

They have now faced a top-five defence on nine occasions with Patrick Mahomes as their starter. In those games, they are 9-0 and averaging 29.0 points per game. Pretty decent.

The only teams you think may have a chance to beat them are the Bills and Steelers (and possibly the Ravens if they get in) in the AFC and the Packers, Hawks and Saints in the NFC. They beat 3 of those 6 already. Still, every given Sunday and all that .......?

NFL Thread on 21:25 - Dec 21 with 5442 viewsisitme

Another good win for the Phins and an easy win for the Browns. Hopefully the Browns v Steelers game will be a good watch. Watching the Browns v Giants game it struck me that they have (when Teller is healthy) one of the best lines in football, probably the best collection of tight ends and the best pair of running backs. It's a shame they are in the same division as the Ravens and Steelers although I'm not sure what will happen when big Ben retires. Without a quarterback there is no team.

As usual the Chiefs game was strange. The Saints have a good defense, although the makeshift line kinda held apart from the fumble in the fourth quarter. Brees didn't look great but put up three scores. It's almost as if the Chiefs are just doing enough to win. Play well for a bit and then play soft defensively when up a couple of scores. Winning every away game is impressive especially as 5 of those teams have a winning record and the Raiders might by the end of the season. Mahomes record against the top defenses is crazy.

It's good to see with two weeks to go that there is a lot to play for. First round bye in both conferences, the AFC South, play off places and the worst division in football. It's crazy a team with a probable losing record will be a hosting a team with 10+ wins.

I can't believe the Jets won which means intact they lost in tanking for Trevor. I don't know what is worse for him Jacksonville or the Jets? I wonder if he pulls an Eli?
[Post edited 21 Dec 2020 21:27]
NFL Thread on 22:39 - Dec 21 with 5428 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 21:25 - Dec 21 by isitme

Another good win for the Phins and an easy win for the Browns. Hopefully the Browns v Steelers game will be a good watch. Watching the Browns v Giants game it struck me that they have (when Teller is healthy) one of the best lines in football, probably the best collection of tight ends and the best pair of running backs. It's a shame they are in the same division as the Ravens and Steelers although I'm not sure what will happen when big Ben retires. Without a quarterback there is no team.

As usual the Chiefs game was strange. The Saints have a good defense, although the makeshift line kinda held apart from the fumble in the fourth quarter. Brees didn't look great but put up three scores. It's almost as if the Chiefs are just doing enough to win. Play well for a bit and then play soft defensively when up a couple of scores. Winning every away game is impressive especially as 5 of those teams have a winning record and the Raiders might by the end of the season. Mahomes record against the top defenses is crazy.

It's good to see with two weeks to go that there is a lot to play for. First round bye in both conferences, the AFC South, play off places and the worst division in football. It's crazy a team with a probable losing record will be a hosting a team with 10+ wins.

I can't believe the Jets won which means intact they lost in tanking for Trevor. I don't know what is worse for him Jacksonville or the Jets? I wonder if he pulls an Eli?
[Post edited 21 Dec 2020 21:27]

Tbh I'm amazed Brees could even play so soon after getting 11 or so cracked ribs. Mahomes is able to do on a football field what Ronnie can do on the green baize. I've been watching the NFL since 85 and he's the most imaginative and talented player I've seen. I'd still day Marino was the best pure passer but Mahomes is more multi-dimensional. Amazing.

As for the Jets win, there is strong evidence the Rams D didn't turn up (see below)

NFL Thread on 07:58 - Dec 22 with 5396 viewsNigeriamark

NFL Thread on 16:01 - Dec 21 by jonahwhereru

Same here regarding the Browns game. 10 minutes in I thought we are not going to lose this one. The last few games has made me far more positive about Mayfield, although I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns are still looking out for an opportunity to bring in an experienced back up. amazing at 10-4 we are not through & only the Jets stand in our way ( still a bit nervous about Sunday)

Bills are absolutely superb at the moment and the Ravens/Jackson have also stepped it up a level. Massive shock last night with the Bengals beating the Steelers. I didn't watch the game but Big Ben & the offence seem to have hit reverse at the wrong time. If the Colts beat them & the Browns beat the Jets then all of a sudden the Browns are shooting for the AFC North title in the last game - what a game that would be

In the NFC it's the Packers to lose at the moment although they weren't great in the last game & the Titans game should be a high scoring affair. The NFC is so much weaker than the AFC but one of them gets to the Super Bowl.

As DL says plenty to play for at the moment
NFL Thread on 11:20 - Dec 22 with 5376 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 07:58 - Dec 22 by Nigeriamark

Same here regarding the Browns game. 10 minutes in I thought we are not going to lose this one. The last few games has made me far more positive about Mayfield, although I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns are still looking out for an opportunity to bring in an experienced back up. amazing at 10-4 we are not through & only the Jets stand in our way ( still a bit nervous about Sunday)

Bills are absolutely superb at the moment and the Ravens/Jackson have also stepped it up a level. Massive shock last night with the Bengals beating the Steelers. I didn't watch the game but Big Ben & the offence seem to have hit reverse at the wrong time. If the Colts beat them & the Browns beat the Jets then all of a sudden the Browns are shooting for the AFC North title in the last game - what a game that would be

In the NFC it's the Packers to lose at the moment although they weren't great in the last game & the Titans game should be a high scoring affair. The NFC is so much weaker than the AFC but one of them gets to the Super Bowl.

Big Ben was woeful last night. Absolutely all over the place. Gridiron just tweeted only the Jags (currently #1 in next years draft) have a longer losing streak than the Steelers. Certainly cause for hope for Brown fans if this streak doesn't get turned around.

Finfans analysing all sorts of scenarios - if the Bills beat the Pats, and the Chiefs beat the Falcons (both seem likely) all we need is Pitt to lose to the Colts next week and the Bills will be locked in the #2 seed and have nothing to play for in week 17. Trouble is, even if we manage to get in as #7 seed we got to Buffalo in mid Jan to play the Bills again. Not exactly licking my chops at the thought of that one. Unlike Pioneer?!?

The league is so wide open this year - the Kansas City Chiefs are the first team in NFL history to win 6 straight games by 6 points or fewer. As isitme alluded to earlier in the thread though, you always feel like they have at least one more gear and are saving lots of "trickeration" for the play-offs. One factor potentially against them, which I forgot to mention, was the injury to KEH in that game. I was only thinking just before it happened that Bell was getting more and more plays each game and improving as he gets more comfortable with the play book and his assignments and then KEH went down. Great bit of GMmanship getting Bell in when he was available - he'll be seeing a lot more of the ball for the rest of the season now through necessity.

Tbh, if the fins get in, I'll be delighted. We beat the Pats without our top 5 receivers and one of our top 3 RBs (from a weak field anyway). Anything else this season is gravy.

NFL Thread on 15:08 - Dec 22 with 5346 viewsisitme

The Steelers were dreadful against a third string quarterback where the play calling was totally vanilla.
NFL Thread on 20:05 - Dec 23 with 5267 viewsUSADale

NFL Thread on 11:22 - Dec 17 by pioneer

Spare a thought for those poor buggers from Detroit, me and a friend were discussing this a few days ago. Since 1957 they have only won 1 playoff game and that was in 1991, 1 in 63 years!

In regards to the Patriots lack of playoffs this year I won't know what to do with myself, been a long run since they last didn't make it, 2008 when they still finished 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB. I'm not going to complain though!

Steelers are on a slide and wouldn't really have the firepower to stay with KC I doubt anyway, can the Bills go toe to toe with them? It can be done, Patriots did it 2 years ago.
NFL Thread on 20:58 - Dec 23 with 5247 viewspioneer

NFL Thread on 20:05 - Dec 23 by USADale

Spare a thought for those poor buggers from Detroit, me and a friend were discussing this a few days ago. Since 1957 they have only won 1 playoff game and that was in 1991, 1 in 63 years!

In regards to the Patriots lack of playoffs this year I won't know what to do with myself, been a long run since they last didn't make it, 2008 when they still finished 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB. I'm not going to complain though!

Steelers are on a slide and wouldn't really have the firepower to stay with KC I doubt anyway, can the Bills go toe to toe with them? It can be done, Patriots did it 2 years ago.

Can the bills go toe to toe with the chiefs?..is the pope a Catholic?

You have got to Bill-eve it!
NFL Thread on 09:28 - Dec 24 with 5210 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 20:58 - Dec 23 by pioneer

Can the bills go toe to toe with the chiefs?..is the pope a Catholic?

You have got to Bill-eve it!

Someone's started on the egg nog early?

NFL Thread on 21:34 - Dec 27 with 5135 viewsNigeriamark

NFL Thread on 07:58 - Dec 22 by Nigeriamark

And just as I predicted, the Browns lose to the Jets & never really looked like winning. In fairness all the wide receivers + other players out with COVID, but we were poor. Now look like we have to win at the steelers to get through

Only the Browns can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory after such a good run

At least there is next season !!!!
NFL Thread on 21:40 - Dec 27 with 5133 viewsisitme

What a great game the Steelers v Colts was. It looked for all money a Colts win but a great second half on both sides of the ball by the Steelers. With no receivers the Browns are out and it may come down to Miami beating the Bills to sneak into the playoffs. Nice bit of Fitzmagic last night. Hopefully the Titans v Packers will be a good watch in the morning.

I see the Chiefs played down to the level of competition and snook a win and home field advantage. It was nice to see Kelce break three records today. Hopefully Schwartz is back for the playoffs and the other injuries get healed up. I'd wrap Mahomes, Kelce, Hill and Jones in bubble wrap next week. Sneed and Gay had good games.
NFL Thread on 10:45 - Dec 28 with 5057 viewswatford_dale

NFL Thread on 21:34 - Dec 27 by Nigeriamark

And just as I predicted, the Browns lose to the Jets & never really looked like winning. In fairness all the wide receivers + other players out with COVID, but we were poor. Now look like we have to win at the steelers to get through

Only the Browns can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory after such a good run

At least there is next season !!!!

The Jets, after a successful opening 13 weeks of planning for next season, have monumentally blown it by winning 2 games on the bounce and must now be out of the race for Trevor Lawrence (by all accounts is a generational talent who plays QB for Clemson Tigers and will be #1 draft pick, which is the second prize in the NFL this year after the Superbowl) barring a set of freak results in the final week.

Jacksonville will be the winners after turning in an outstanding solid 14 game losing streak, after winning their opening game against the Colts, in the race for Lawrence.

Jacksonville understand the value of Lawrence and the team has demonstrated that they mean business and have collectively played an integral part in ensuring that they have the #1 draft pick for next season and a generational QB for the future.

Jacksonville Jaguars are my NFL team of the season.
NFL Thread on 12:56 - Dec 28 with 5035 viewsisitme

Will Lawrence even sign for the Jags? If he pulls an Eli then there is no point in them even drafting him. Although Trevor is seen as being a generational talent I'm not sure how much he can do with the lack of talent surrounding him and the uncertainty about the front office and coaching staff.

Gase is the Jets biggest problem. If they had a decent coach they have some pieces in place. Darnold is a decent quarterback and Becton will help to keep him upright. Ransom the second pick to a team who wants Wilson and then target weapons like Chase.
NFL Thread on 18:58 - Dec 28 with 4973 viewspioneer

NFL Thread on 10:45 - Dec 28 by watford_dale

The Jets, after a successful opening 13 weeks of planning for next season, have monumentally blown it by winning 2 games on the bounce and must now be out of the race for Trevor Lawrence (by all accounts is a generational talent who plays QB for Clemson Tigers and will be #1 draft pick, which is the second prize in the NFL this year after the Superbowl) barring a set of freak results in the final week.

Jacksonville will be the winners after turning in an outstanding solid 14 game losing streak, after winning their opening game against the Colts, in the race for Lawrence.

Jacksonville understand the value of Lawrence and the team has demonstrated that they mean business and have collectively played an integral part in ensuring that they have the #1 draft pick for next season and a generational QB for the future.

Jacksonville Jaguars are my NFL team of the season.

Always disliked the notion of the bottom team getting the first pick (or the highest chance of the first pick as it is in NHL and NBA). The incentive for ‘tanking’ is obvious and happens on a regular basis. Id prefer to see the teams who dont qualify for the play offs be placed in order of their finishing position, highest ranked gets first pick etc instead of the opposite...keeps each teams season alive until the end, then play off teams ranked in reverse order.

Something very wrong when supporters want their team to lose and organisations do their best to ensure that happens.
NFL Thread on 21:49 - Dec 28 with 4948 viewsisitme

Owners may look to tank by trading away better players to create cap space and aquire draft picks to 'rebuild', but how many players actually go out to lose week in week out? They are putting tape out for every other team in the league and playing bad with a lack of effort for a poor team is a sure fire way of losing your job especially one laden with draft picks that are cheaper and younger. Next year with the projected large fall in the salary cap lots of veterans on mid level contracts will be flooding the market as teams cut their wage bill accordingly.
NFL Thread on 06:05 - Dec 29 with 4909 viewspioneer

NFL Thread on 21:49 - Dec 28 by isitme

Owners may look to tank by trading away better players to create cap space and aquire draft picks to 'rebuild', but how many players actually go out to lose week in week out? They are putting tape out for every other team in the league and playing bad with a lack of effort for a poor team is a sure fire way of losing your job especially one laden with draft picks that are cheaper and younger. Next year with the projected large fall in the salary cap lots of veterans on mid level contracts will be flooding the market as teams cut their wage bill accordingly.

When the prospect of play offs disappears players can easily lose that edge particularly when management note the advantages of finishing bottom. And the prospect of the next blue chip QB being acquired will likely make the entire team, or at least the offence better.

I think tanking is acknowledged to happen on a widespread basis in the last month of the season.

Even if it doesn’t , reversing the order of picks ensures there an additional incentive to wiinning among those teams eliminated from play offs. Why should mediocrity be rewarded?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024