Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hostage 22:26 - Jan 7 with 3167 viewsSaintNick

People think being a hostage is hard. I disagree I could do it with my hands tied behind my back.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Hostage on 22:37 - Jan 7 with 1712 viewsRon11

Walls or Richmond no problem.....oh sorry HOSTage.....
Hostage on 12:30 - Jan 8 with 1563 viewsNumber_58

Reminds me of the old joke from the 1980s:
What's green and six feet tall?
Terry Waite's lawn
Hostage on 12:54 - Jan 8 with 1554 viewsChesham_Saint

What’s old and rusty and chained to Lambeth Palace’s railings?

Terry Waites’ bicycle...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Hostage on 15:36 - Jan 8 with 1479 viewsRon11

I have actually been a hostage myself.
June 2001 in Nigeria at gunpoint for a week. It was great fun - not.
Hostage on 16:35 - Jan 8 with 1449 viewsDorsetIan

Hostage on 15:36 - Jan 8 by Ron11

What happened? Was there a ransom paid or did you escape?

(I met Terry Waite once, for what that's worth...although not in Beirut).

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Hostage on 17:27 - Jan 8 with 1419 viewsBerber

Gulp!
Hostage on 21:29 - Jan 8 with 1344 viewsChesham_Saint

What?! Don’t tell me you short-changed your housekeeper out of her ‘headache money’?

Hostage on 22:26 - Jan 8 with 1322 viewsRon11

Hostage on 16:35 - Jan 8 by DorsetIan

I was working on the Mobil Oil NGL Terminal on Bonny Island (off Port Harcourt) as a mechanical engineer and trainer, June 2001.
Apparently Mobil had not paid the local Youth Group funds they had been demanding so 40 plus of them stormed the site at 5 am and took several of us hostage at gunpoint. We were battered about, and subjected to the loaded/unloaded gun in the ear and pull the trigger routine and various other intimidation.
Mobil eventually paid 50,000 dollars for our release when the threatened to start knocking us off one by one. They got their money and left.
Before they released us, they came and apologised for their actions, and they did not steal a single personal item from any of us, or from our offices. They did trash and burn a couple of vehicles though!
Suitably traumatised, we were helicoptered out the next day.
Login to get fewer ads

Hostage on 22:28 - Jan 8 with 1319 viewsRon11

Hostage on 16:35 - Jan 8 by DorsetIan

I met Terry Waite in Libya. I said then, 'don't come back'....
Hostage on 00:09 - Jan 9 with 1298 viewsChesham_Saint

Hostage on 22:26 - Jan 8 by Ron11

I was working on the Mobil Oil NGL Terminal on Bonny Island (off Port Harcourt) as a mechanical engineer and trainer, June 2001.
Apparently Mobil had not paid the local Youth Group funds they had been demanding so 40 plus of them stormed the site at 5 am and took several of us hostage at gunpoint. We were battered about, and subjected to the loaded/unloaded gun in the ear and pull the trigger routine and various other intimidation.
Mobil eventually paid 50,000 dollars for our release when the threatened to start knocking us off one by one. They got their money and left.
Before they released us, they came and apologised for their actions, and they did not steal a single personal item from any of us, or from our offices. They did trash and burn a couple of vehicles though!

That’s a hell of an experience. Seriously, did you suffer any subsequent trauma? I think a few on here are ex services so may well be able to empathise. Anywhere, respect where it’s due Ron, well done being so sanguine about it.

Hostage on 10:24 - Jan 9 with 1228 viewsRon11

Hostage on 00:09 - Jan 9 by Chesham_Saint

That’s a hell of an experience. Seriously, did you suffer any subsequent trauma? I think a few on here are ex services so may well be able to empathise. Anywhere, respect where it’s due Ron, well done being so sanguine about it.

I've never been able to sleep behind an unlocked door since, because they shot the lock off my door as I was going out of the window! But apart from that I came out of it pretty unscathed. Exxon Mobil arranged for trauma counselling for us when we got back to the UK (and one Canadian). I had mine in Salisbury over a few weeks, before I went back out there...
One of the main issues was the lack of security on the plant. The local 'MoPols' were either asleep or stoned out of their heads.
When I did get back out there, the security on site was being run by British ex special forces guys, both SAS and SBS which of course made us feel a lot safer.
After a couple of years my missus wanted me out of there - so we took on the Pensioners in Carlton Place for a couple of years....one amusing story about that place was when a Nigerian came in and said 'give me a pint of Guinness'. I asked him if they ever said 'please' or 'thank you' in his country to which he asked me how would I know. I told him the story and he couldn't stop apologising for the disgrace on his country! He came in a lot after that.
And three of the ex SBS lads who still lived in Poole dropped in occasionally, Stella was their brew of choice.
It always amused me after they had gone - all the regular drinkers said, 'who the fu ck were they?'
Cheers.
Hostage on 10:53 - Jan 9 with 1225 viewsChesham_Saint

Hostage on 10:24 - Jan 9 by Ron11

I've never been able to sleep behind an unlocked door since, because they shot the lock off my door as I was going out of the window! But apart from that I came out of it pretty unscathed. Exxon Mobil arranged for trauma counselling for us when we got back to the UK (and one Canadian). I had mine in Salisbury over a few weeks, before I went back out there...
One of the main issues was the lack of security on the plant. The local 'MoPols' were either asleep or stoned out of their heads.
When I did get back out there, the security on site was being run by British ex special forces guys, both SAS and SBS which of course made us feel a lot safer.
After a couple of years my missus wanted me out of there - so we took on the Pensioners in Carlton Place for a couple of years....one amusing story about that place was when a Nigerian came in and said 'give me a pint of Guinness'. I asked him if they ever said 'please' or 'thank you' in his country to which he asked me how would I know. I told him the story and he couldn't stop apologising for the disgrace on his country! He came in a lot after that.
And three of the ex SBS lads who still lived in Poole dropped in occasionally, Stella was their brew of choice.
It always amused me after they had gone - all the regular drinkers said, 'who the fu ck were they?'
Cheers.

Thanks Ron. Very interesting and good luck - not sure sleeping in a locked room would appeal to many though..!

Hostage on 12:37 - Jan 9 with 1203 viewsBerber

Cap duly doffed.
Hostage on 12:44 - Jan 9 with 1196 viewsthissceptredsaint

You must surely have been aware of the risk of this happening
Hostage on 14:09 - Jan 9 with 1176 views1885_SFC

Hostage on 12:44 - Jan 9 by thissceptredsaint

What's the point you're trying to make?

Old School is Cool

Hostage on 14:45 - Jan 9 with 1160 viewsJaySaint

Wow,

Amazing story.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Hostage on 15:47 - Jan 9 with 1133 viewsSadoldgit

Wow! That is some story Ron. I have never watched The Deerhunter because of the Russian roulette scene. I just hope that you had your brown trousers on?
A neighbour of mine in his 70’s used to work in military intelligence and did a tour in Northern Ireland during “The Troubles”. To this day in pubs and restaurants he never sits with his back to the door.
I can’t imagine how terrifying that experience must have been for you. Glad that you were able to get support.
Hostage on 16:03 - Jan 9 with 1117 viewsRon11

Hostage on 10:53 - Jan 9 by Chesham_Saint

Thanks Ron. Very interesting and good luck - not sure sleeping in a locked room would appeal to many though..!

Hostage on 16:08 - Jan 9 with 1114 viewsRon11

Hostage on 12:44 - Jan 9 by thissceptredsaint

Not really.
We had heavy security on site. Unfortunately they weren't good enough.
Why do you make this suggestion?
Hostage on 16:10 - Jan 9 with 1112 viewsRon11

Hostage on 14:09 - Jan 9 by 1885_SFC

What's the point you're trying to make?

An understandable question....
Hostage on 16:15 - Jan 9 with 1111 viewsDorsetIan

Thanks Ron. Rather you than me, and glad you got out in one piece with your sanity intact!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Hostage on 16:19 - Jan 9 with 1111 viewsRon11

Hostage on 15:47 - Jan 9 by Sadoldgit

Wow! That is some story Ron. I have never watched The Deerhunter because of the Russian roulette scene. I just hope that you had your brown trousers on?
A neighbour of mine in his 70’s used to work in military intelligence and did a tour in Northern Ireland during “The Troubles”. To this day in pubs and restaurants he never sits with his back to the door.
I can’t imagine how terrifying that experience must have been for you. Glad that you were able to get support.

Yes sometimes you never know what's coming.
People could say what do you expect going to a place like that? Well, we trained a lot of locals as well as doing our job so I like to think we helped them to keep in employment and so made a difference.
Let's face it, you never know, just like all those youngsters who went to a pop concert in Manchester and never went home again.
And yes, I like to have view of the door when I'm in a pub!
Hostage (n/t) on 16:21 - Jan 9 with 1105 viewsRon11

Hostage on 12:37 - Jan 9 by Berber

Cap duly doffed.

Hostage on 16:22 - Jan 9 with 1103 viewsRon11

Hostage on 12:37 - Jan 9 by Berber

Cap duly doffed.

Hostage on 16:25 - Jan 9 with 1102 viewsRon11

Hostage on 16:15 - Jan 9 by DorsetIan

Thanks Ron. Rather you than me, and glad you got out in one piece with your sanity intact!

Yes, it was 2001, just moved here and became a Saints fan. I have questioned my sanity occasionally since then though!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024