Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roy of the Rovers 13:39 - Jan 15 with 996 viewsdirk_doone

In the top picture he looks exactly like Billy Beaney did in his playing days in the 70s:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55150013

I must admit I was never a reader of the Tiger so didn't take much notice of Roy of the Rovers back then. My comic of choice as a boy was the Victor and my favourite character in it, Alf Tupper.

There must be quite a few other posters on here old enough to remember the anticipation of the day their weekly comics were delivered, which, as I recall was Wednesday. In most of them, there was usually a sports story and a Second World War one. They declined in the 80s and the internet finished them off.

I don't think you even hear football commentators saying, "It's a real Roy of the Rovers story" much any more.

I still remember the excitement of everyone who'd played football with him as a boy when Billy made his Saints debut. Nobody loved Saints more than Billy. A real Roy of the Rovers story.

https://medium.com/the-view-from-pompey/football-in-the-seventies-dd897d9e7ee
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 15:42]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Roy of the Rovers on 18:19 - Jan 15 with 847 viewskentsouthampton

For me, it was the Rover and Adventure and Wilson the cricketer in the summer and Wilson the footballer in the winter.
Also the inimitable "the wolf of Kabul" and Chung resplendent with clicky-ba
in the Hotspur.
Roy of the Rovers on 18:19 - Jan 15 with 845 viewsNumber_58

When I was a nipper I got Scorcher which was (I think) just about football. It merged with Tiger at some point and, as well as Roy of the Rovers, it also featured other sports such as wrestling (Johnny Cougar), F1 (Skid Solo) and even fishing (Rod and Line). Hot Shot Hamish was my favourite Scorcher character. He played for a struggling Scottish Div 2 club called Princess Park who had quite a big stadium which was invariably full. I was quite disappointed when I eventually discovered that most Scottish lower division clubs only get about 150 watching their matches at grounds that wouldn't look out of place in the Wessex League. Billy's Boots was good. Billy's antiquated old football boots had magical powers, but every storyline seemed to involve his boots being lost or stolen. If I had magical boots I'd definitely take more care of them.
Roy of the Rovers on 21:37 - Jan 15 with 773 viewsdirk_doone

Roy of the Rovers on 18:19 - Jan 15 by Number_58

When I was a nipper I got Scorcher which was (I think) just about football. It merged with Tiger at some point and, as well as Roy of the Rovers, it also featured other sports such as wrestling (Johnny Cougar), F1 (Skid Solo) and even fishing (Rod and Line). Hot Shot Hamish was my favourite Scorcher character. He played for a struggling Scottish Div 2 club called Princess Park who had quite a big stadium which was invariably full. I was quite disappointed when I eventually discovered that most Scottish lower division clubs only get about 150 watching their matches at grounds that wouldn't look out of place in the Wessex League. Billy's Boots was good. Billy's antiquated old football boots had magical powers, but every storyline seemed to involve his boots being lost or stolen. If I had magical boots I'd definitely take more care of them.

Yes, then there were the football magazines. My favourite was Football Monthly, which was a mine of information for the young football fan in the 60s. Hampshire's very own World Soccer was another worth reading and amazingly it's still going, unlike Football Monthly which died 50 years ago. Shoot took over at the end of the 60s where Football Monthly left off. With its glossier more modern 70s and 80s style, Shoot was the football equivalent of the Sun, whereas Football Monthly had been more like the Times.

At Christmas, every boy received a football annual, which was often published by the magazine company. I still give my grandsons football annuals but the contemporary ones have more pictures, less text and fewer pages.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 21:49]

Roy of the Rovers on 08:00 - Jan 16 with 707 viewskernow

Who were Melchester Rovers' local rivals?
Roy of the Rovers on 09:24 - Jan 16 with 693 viewsdirk_doone

Roy of the Rovers on 08:00 - Jan 16 by kernow

Who were Melchester Rovers' local rivals?

Melborough

Roy of the Rovers on 11:42 - Jan 16 with 668 viewsNumber_58

Roy of the Rovers on 09:24 - Jan 16 by dirk_doone

Melborough

According to my 'Roy of the Rovers - the Playing Years', Geoff Giles' transfer from Melchester Rovers to Melborough in 1981 broke a long tradition of no transfers between the rival clubs. He was replaced by 35 year old Nat 'Grandad' Gosden. I bet the Melchester message boards would have gone into meltdown if they'd existed back then and the whole thing wasn't just a figment of someone's imagination.
Roy of the Rovers on 11:46 - Jan 16 with 668 viewsdirk_doone

Roy of the Rovers on 11:42 - Jan 16 by Number_58

According to my 'Roy of the Rovers - the Playing Years', Geoff Giles' transfer from Melchester Rovers to Melborough in 1981 broke a long tradition of no transfers between the rival clubs. He was replaced by 35 year old Nat 'Grandad' Gosden. I bet the Melchester message boards would have gone into meltdown if they'd existed back then and the whole thing wasn't just a figment of someone's imagination.

I bet you that somewhere out there, such individuals exist. They probably have Melchester Rovers team pictures on their bedroom walls and wear red and yellow scarves on Saturday afternoons waiting to hear Melchester's result on Sky Sports News. Remember there are even people who believe that coronavirus is caused by phone masts. Maybe they are the same people.

I was joking but I just Googled Melchester Rovers and found this

https://royoftheroversofficial.com/news/1536

[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 11:56]

Roy of the Rovers on 12:19 - Jan 16 with 647 viewsNumber_58

Roy of the Rovers on 11:46 - Jan 16 by dirk_doone

I bet you that somewhere out there, such individuals exist. They probably have Melchester Rovers team pictures on their bedroom walls and wear red and yellow scarves on Saturday afternoons waiting to hear Melchester's result on Sky Sports News. Remember there are even people who believe that coronavirus is caused by phone masts. Maybe they are the same people.

I was joking but I just Googled Melchester Rovers and found this

https://royoftheroversofficial.com/news/1536

[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 11:56]

I preferred the classic 1973-1981 vertical stripe.
Login to get fewer ads

Roy of the Rovers on 13:06 - Jan 16 with 635 viewskingolaf

Roy of the Rovers on 12:19 - Jan 16 by Number_58

I preferred the classic 1973-1981 vertical stripe.

Loved Roy of the Rovers, Tiger, Shoot and Scoop.

Life is crap now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024