Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scoring Direct From Corners 17:48 - Jan 23 with 1158 viewsChesham_Saint

JWP Came very close today and I remember MLT scored at least once direct from a corner (possibly twice - one being against the skates?). It’s obviously quite a skill, and I also remember him doing a variation where he hit it short to Simon Charlton with MLT running on to the return pass (to improve the angle) curled it into the net. Perhaps JWP should develop this one-two routine, or does he do it already and I’ve somehow missed it?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Scoring Direct From Corners on 18:02 - Jan 23 with 1146 viewsTimSaint

Jason Dodd scored against the Skates directly from a corner at the Chapel End. It was unfortunately given as an OG who tried to head it off the line - should be Doddsy's goal all day long and I'm sure the defender would rather not take the credit for it :-)

Le Tiss has done it a couple of times although I can't remember who against. Sheff Weds or Newcastle spring to mind ?
He has also scored from the short corner lay off but again can't remember who against - but it was towards the Archers though, like his goal direct from a corner.

TimSaint

Scoring Direct From Corners on 18:07 - Jan 23 with 1132 viewsDENZY

Wimbledon away Dellhurst Park.

"The Chapel Kop at Southampton is widely regarded as the most passionate and intimidating Kop in European football."

Scoring Direct From Corners on 18:27 - Jan 23 with 1095 viewsWints76

MLT also scored direct from a corner at home against Boro in 96/7.

I actually think JWP meant to score today as the way he took the corner and the position he played the ball in to was completely different to normal
Scoring Direct From Corners on 19:09 - Jan 23 with 1052 viewssaint22

I think he meant that, if You look at his body position after he takes the corner
Scoring Direct From Corners on 19:55 - Jan 23 with 1026 viewsdirk_doone

He'll have practised scoring directly from corners many times. It's the practice he puts in that makes him so good. Beckham was the same.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Scoring Direct From Corners on 20:24 - Jan 23 with 992 viewsChesham_Saint

Scoring Direct From Corners on 19:55 - Jan 23 by dirk_doone

He'll have practised scoring directly from corners many times. It's the practice he puts in that makes him so good. Beckham was the same.

Whereas perhaps Le God was just a natural or did he practice a lot too (seems unlike him to be that dedicated!)...?

Scoring Direct From Corners on 20:35 - Jan 23 with 985 viewsdirk_doone

Scoring Direct From Corners on 20:24 - Jan 23 by Chesham_Saint

Whereas perhaps Le God was just a natural or did he practice a lot too (seems unlike him to be that dedicated!)...?

I saw Le Tissier standing in the centre circle in a pre-match warm up, kicking the ball half the length of the pitch and deliberately bouncing it off the crossbar repeatedly so that it came back to him for the next kick. That is unbelievable accuracy and consistency so it was a combination of amazing talent and practice. I think Ward-Prowse aspires to the same level of perfection. When you reach that level, you are, literally, one in a billion because almost no one else in the world can do it.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2021 20:39]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Scoring Direct From Corners on 10:05 - Jan 24 with 864 viewsBerber

I am looking forward to witnessing the time that it comes off.
Login to get fewer ads

Scoring Direct From Corners on 10:13 - Jan 24 with 860 viewsSadoldgit

Scoring Direct From Corners on 18:07 - Jan 23 by DENZY

Wimbledon away Dellhurst Park.

I was there for that one. I don’t think anyone has ever scored from a corner kick deliberately. The chances are very slim so you are just wasting the corner if you try repeatedly. It’s another thing to swing it in to put the keeper/defence under more pressure.
Scoring Direct From Corners on 10:56 - Jan 24 with 844 viewsBison

Scoring Direct From Corners on 10:13 - Jan 24 by Sadoldgit

I was there for that one. I don’t think anyone has ever scored from a corner kick deliberately. The chances are very slim so you are just wasting the corner if you try repeatedly. It’s another thing to swing it in to put the keeper/defence under more pressure.

You must be the most negative person in the world. You remind me of that donkey off Winnie the Pooh .

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Scoring Direct From Corners on 12:03 - Jan 24 with 809 viewsChesham_Saint

Scoring Direct From Corners on 10:13 - Jan 24 by Sadoldgit

I disagree Sogs. If you have a player like MLT or JWP who can do it at will, the opposition will be wary and it increases our attacking options, not that it should be used every time, obvs.

Scoring Direct From Corners on 12:11 - Jan 24 with 807 viewsBison

Scoring Direct From Corners on 12:03 - Jan 24 by Chesham_Saint

I disagree Sogs. If you have a player like MLT or JWP who can do it at will, the opposition will be wary and it increases our attacking options, not that it should be used every time, obvs.

Totally agree I have seen interview with Matt where he categorically states he meant to do it.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Scoring Direct From Corners on 13:21 - Jan 24 with 767 viewsSadoldgit

Scoring Direct From Corners on 12:03 - Jan 24 by Chesham_Saint

You say they can do it at will Chesh, but how many goals have they scored between them directly from a corner?
Scoring Direct From Corners on 13:31 - Jan 24 with 763 viewsChesham_Saint

Scoring Direct From Corners on 13:21 - Jan 24 by Sadoldgit

You say they can do it at will Chesh, but how many goals have they scored between them directly from a corner?

How many penalties do forwards routinely miss? It’s a useful tool in the armoury. I agree if they did it every time keepers would get wise to it.

It’s a bit like the Delap long throw. We score one, maybe two as a result of his long throw into the box and defences are forever after worried about it, although it only sometimes comes off.

Scoring Direct From Corners on 13:58 - Jan 24 with 751 viewsTimSaint

Scoring Direct From Corners on 20:24 - Jan 23 by Chesham_Saint

Tiss practiced his penalties and free kicks religiously.

In one interview I also remembering him saying that he used to kick the ball straight up into the air as high as he could, to practice bringing it under control as it dropped. He went on to say that it was worth doing because in a game at home to Villa, Benali hoofed it high out of defence, Tiss took it down and rounded Spink to score in our 4-1 win.

TimSaint

Scoring Direct From Corners on 14:06 - Jan 25 with 634 viewsSadoldgit

Scoring Direct From Corners on 10:56 - Jan 24 by Bison

You must be the most negative person in the world. You remind me of that donkey off Winnie the Pooh .

Why? Has MLT or JWP said that they have ever tried to score from a corner deliberately? If so, fine. Why just stop at shooting from a corner then? Why not try a shot when you are by the corner flag instead of crossing it?
Scoring Direct From Corners on 13:52 - Jan 29 with 528 viewsTimSaint

Scoring Direct From Corners on 14:06 - Jan 25 by Sadoldgit

Why? Has MLT or JWP said that they have ever tried to score from a corner deliberately? If so, fine. Why just stop at shooting from a corner then? Why not try a shot when you are by the corner flag instead of crossing it?

In Matt Le Tissier's autobiography entitled 'Taking Le Tiss', the last photo in the book is of him taking a corner at St Marys. The photo has the caption 'I used to love trying to score direct from corners'.

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024