Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian St John 10:30 - Mar 2 with 989 viewskingslandstand1

Another one gone.

Everyone just had to watch him with Greavsie on a Saturday lunchtime, and not a bad player. Obviously well loved by the fans of our most loved team, but a great character
Ian St John on 10:36 - Mar 2 with 984 viewsSadoldgit

Sad news. Was one of the big names around when I started to get interested in football and then of course became legendary with the Saint and Greavsie show which was a must watch. RIP.
Ian St John on 11:09 - Mar 2 with 945 viewsTripleNiemi

Yep another one gone. R.I.P.

As others have said, this was my era of growing up as a nipper watching the Saint and Greavesie show on a Saturday when football contained proper fans, proper grounds, proper enthusiasm from clubs with regards to the Domestic Cups, and football being largely about 15:00hr kick offs on a Saturday. Has the game really improved for the betterment of the 'local' fan?!?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Ian St John on 11:32 - Mar 2 with 929 viewsDorsetIan

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Ian St John on 12:41 - Mar 2 with 892 viewssolent_toffee

Ian St John on 11:09 - Mar 2 by TripleNiemi

As others have said, this was my era of growing up as a nipper watching the Saint and Greavesie show on a Saturday when football contained proper fans, proper grounds, proper enthusiasm from clubs with regards to the Domestic Cups, and football being largely about 15:00hr kick offs on a Saturday. Has the game really improved for the betterment of the 'local' fan?!?

I was watching clips from the Everton Watford final the other week on you tube.

The enthusiasm, passion and humour from both Saint and Greavsie was brilliant, both of them having a great time and being part of the day. On the BBC you had Lawrie McMenemy and Brooking who were different but just as watchable. It brought back brilliant memories.

Now we have Jenas and Keown.
Ian St John on 15:22 - Mar 2 with 802 viewsBicester_North

Great presenters, and great theme tune as well!

They were the best part of the ITV FA cup final build ups when you watched it all day long, 87 Coventry v Spurs sticks in the mind

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ian St John on 15:30 - Mar 2 with 797 viewsbarry_sanchez

Sad news, as of that era I remember him most for Saint and Greavsie, trailblazers.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Ian St John on 15:42 - Mar 2 with 783 viewsSadoldgit

Jumpers as goalposts, isn’t it?
Gotta love Ron Manager who summed up that era perfectly. The golden days of football, like music, are well behind us sadly, but as an old git I would say that would I? Money spoils everything it would seem. Back when the sport was more amateurish their seemed to be a more innocent joy about it. Now it is big business. Where are all the big characters and personalities. Everything from the managers, players, physios down to the tea ladies is all “corporate”. So much for progress.
Ian St John on 16:15 - Mar 2 with 769 viewsbarry_sanchez

Ian St John on 15:42 - Mar 2 by Sadoldgit

Jumpers as goalposts, isn’t it?
Gotta love Ron Manager who summed up that era perfectly. The golden days of football, like music, are well behind us sadly, but as an old git I would say that would I? Money spoils everything it would seem. Back when the sport was more amateurish their seemed to be a more innocent joy about it. Now it is big business. Where are all the big characters and personalities. Everything from the managers, players, physios down to the tea ladies is all “corporate”. So much for progress.

I think I have said this many times and get called negative for it, unless you've a split personality SOG I'd maintain some continuity.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

Login to get fewer ads

Ian St John on 16:19 - Mar 2 with 768 viewsfranniesTache

Loved Saint and Greavsie and was having this chat with some mates earlier today. Saint and Greavsie, Football Italia and Standing Room only were the last of an era of tv that really spoke the language of the people that went.

Sadly they were replaced by the new breed of shows like Soccer AM that was utter gash.
Ian St John on 19:33 - Mar 2 with 691 viewsBerber

Ian St John on 16:19 - Mar 2 by franniesTache

Loved Saint and Greavsie and was having this chat with some mates earlier today. Saint and Greavsie, Football Italia and Standing Room only were the last of an era of tv that really spoke the language of the people that went.

Sadly they were replaced by the new breed of shows like Soccer AM that was utter gash.

Exactly right.
Ian St John on 20:30 - Mar 2 with 677 viewsSadoldgit

Ian St John on 16:15 - Mar 2 by barry_sanchez

I think I have said this many times and get called negative for it, unless you've a split personality SOG I'd maintain some continuity.

I was nostalgically talking about the days of Saint & Greavsie Barry so where is the lack of continuity?
Ian St John on 20:39 - Mar 2 with 673 viewsbarry_sanchez

Ian St John on 20:30 - Mar 2 by Sadoldgit

I was nostalgically talking about the days of Saint & Greavsie Barry so where is the lack of continuity?

Yes I get that but when I say it its perceived as negative, over on Pap's web you're fluffy and light and here you are more realistic, what gives?

I also sent you a message.

Ian St John on 21:16 - Mar 2 with 649 viewsSadoldgit

Ian St John on 20:39 - Mar 2 by barry_sanchez

Yes I get that but when I say it its perceived as negative, over on Pap's web you're fluffy and light and here you are more realistic, what gives?

I also sent you a message.

I have never said that I prefer modern football against what is perceived as “the golden age” but it is what it is and we are stuck with it whether we like it or not. I have said elsewhere that money has ruined the competitiveness in football. But you can’t put the genie back in the bottle so I will retain my fond memories of Ron Davies planting another header in the back of the net whilst also hoping that Danny Ings gets a hat trick against the Blades. You have a history of taking threads wildly off tangent Barry. Please don’t do it here.
Ian St John on 21:34 - Mar 2 with 639 viewsbarry_sanchez

Ian St John on 21:16 - Mar 2 by Sadoldgit

I have never said that I prefer modern football against what is perceived as “the golden age” but it is what it is and we are stuck with it whether we like it or not. I have said elsewhere that money has ruined the competitiveness in football. But you can’t put the genie back in the bottle so I will retain my fond memories of Ron Davies planting another header in the back of the net whilst also hoping that Danny Ings gets a hat trick against the Blades. You have a history of taking threads wildly off tangent Barry. Please don’t do it here.

I am not, I loved Saint and Greavsie, their camaraderie were great, its sad he's gone and Jimmy Greaves is the way he is, you haven't read that message have you on purpose?
Have some character.
Anyway its sad he's gone, a legend and a gentleman.

Ian St John on 21:47 - Mar 2 with 615 viewsSaintNick

Ian St John on 21:34 - Mar 2 by barry_sanchez

I am not, I loved Saint and Greavsie, their camaraderie were great, its sad he's gone and Jimmy Greaves is the way he is, you haven't read that message have you on purpose?
Have some character.
Anyway its sad he's gone, a legend and a gentleman.

It wont surprise many that I liked Ian St John as a young kid in the late 60;s although I have to say I preferred Roger Hunt.

Legend has it there was a big billboard outside a church near Anfield which had in big letters

What will you do when Jesus comes to Liverpool ?

Someone spray painted underneath

Move St John to Inside Left !

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Ian St John on 21:53 - Mar 2 with 612 viewsbarry_sanchez

Ian St John on 21:47 - Mar 2 by SaintNick

It wont surprise many that I liked Ian St John as a young kid in the late 60;s although I have to say I preferred Roger Hunt.

Legend has it there was a big billboard outside a church near Anfield which had in big letters

What will you do when Jesus comes to Liverpool ?

Someone spray painted underneath

Move St John to Inside Left !

Ha Ha yes I have heard of that, don't know whether its true but its a good story!

Ian St John on 09:45 - Mar 3 with 521 viewsRednWight

I remember when there was a big sign near one of the Liverpool cathedrals proclaiming
What will you do when Jesus returns
Someone wrote on it
Move St John to the wing

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Ian St John on 13:42 - Mar 3 with 473 viewsgeezershoong1

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024