Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don’t see the old girl listed here... 09:07 - Mar 23 with 2915 viewsMytchettSaint

How could this be?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56461184

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 09:14 - Mar 23 with 2893 viewsgrumpy

To those who supported Saints there the Dell will always be special to them.
I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 22:07 - Mar 23 with 2698 viewscocklebreath

Micah Richards hasn’t heard of the Dell. Excellent.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 22:22 - Mar 23 with 2687 viewsBicester_North

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 22:07 - Mar 23 by cocklebreath

Micah Richards hasn’t heard of the Dell. Excellent.

He would’ve been 13 when Saints moved to St Mary’s, you’d think he would have some idea.

Most football mad lads know all the grounds by that age, especially the top division.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 08:49 - Mar 24 with 2566 viewskernow

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 22:22 - Mar 23 by Bicester_North

He would’ve been 13 when Saints moved to St Mary’s, you’d think he would have some idea.

Most football mad lads know all the grounds by that age, especially the top division.

As a nipper I could remember the grounds and colours of all 92.

Wouldn't have a clue today?!
I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 09:02 - Mar 24 with 2558 viewsgrumpy

I remember going to Chelsea once in the 80s and watching a large space appear in the Shed End and then found large group stood behind us.
I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 09:02 - Mar 24 with 2557 viewsBicester_North

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 08:49 - Mar 24 by kernow

Same here, lost track of the name changes. Give me a Burnden Park or Valley Parade over a university of Bolton stadium or Coral Windows stadium any day. (I had to look the new names up)

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 13:24 - Mar 24 with 2463 viewsTimSaint

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 08:49 - Mar 24 by kernow

......and the nicknames of all 92 !!

.....but even some of those have changed now. Didn't Sunderland have a fans vote to determine their Black Cats nickname ?

TimSaint

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 06:46 - Mar 25 with 2268 viewsRednWight

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 13:24 - Mar 24 by TimSaint

.....but even some of those have changed now. Didn't Sunderland have a fans vote to determine their Black Cats nickname ?

Yes but to be fair they could hardly continue as the Rokermen once they’d moved grounds

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Login to get fewer ads

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 18:28 - Mar 25 with 2142 viewsBerber

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 13:24 - Mar 24 by TimSaint

Yes, but the black cat was in the first club badge, which influenced the vote.

"That name then became associated with the newly-formed football club and upon adopting red-and-white stripes as their strip, the first Sunderland badge featured a black cat, along with a ship, a football and party of the city's coat of arms."
I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 22:59 - Mar 25 with 2035 viewsdirk_doone

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 06:46 - Mar 25 by RednWight

Yes but to be fair they could hardly continue as the Rokermen once they’d moved grounds

Portsmouth kept their nickname of Pompey even after they changed their shirt colour from Pompadour pink to blue.

But, Reading changed their nickname from Biscuitmen to Royals after the Huntley & Palmer biscuit factory closed.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 08:25 - Mar 26 with 1958 viewsSaintNick

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 22:59 - Mar 25 by dirk_doone

Portsmouth kept their nickname of Pompey even after they changed their shirt colour from Pompadour pink to blue.

But, Reading changed their nickname from Biscuitmen to Royals after the Huntley & Palmer biscuit factory closed.

I think Pompey was the nickname for the City first rather than the football team, it was coined by sailors

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 12:02 - Mar 26 with 1917 viewsdirk_doone

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 08:25 - Mar 26 by SaintNick

I think Pompey was the nickname for the City first rather than the football team, it was coined by sailors

No, it wasn't, Nick. The nickname Pompey came from the Pompadour pink colour of their shirts. Since then, it has become a nickname for the city as well. Of course, Pompey fans have tried to come up with all sorts of myths about its origin but that is the simple fact of the matter.

In the nineteenth century, men who wore pink uniforms were known as Pompadours, which then became abbreviated to Pompey. The 56th West Essex Regiment of Foot were the first organisation to be given those 2 nicknames long before PFC was even founded.

Nicknames based on colours, like Clarets and Royals, are fairly common.

PFC's traditional colours were identical to these:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/785596728732087376/

As you can see here:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Portsmouth/Portsmouth.htm

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/266984/unofficial-club-

[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 12:44]

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 12:42 - Mar 26 with 1863 viewsBerber

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 12:02 - Mar 26 by dirk_doone

No, it wasn't, Nick. The nickname Pompey came from the Pompadour pink colour of their shirts. Since then, it has become a nickname for the city as well. Of course, Pompey fans have tried to come up with all sorts of myths about its origin but that is the simple fact of the matter.

In the nineteenth century, men who wore pink uniforms were known as Pompadours, which then became abbreviated to Pompey. The 56th West Essex Regiment of Foot were the first organisation to be given those 2 nicknames long before PFC was even founded.

Nicknames based on colours, like Clarets and Royals, are fairly common.

PFC's traditional colours were identical to these:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/785596728732087376/

As you can see here:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Portsmouth/Portsmouth.htm

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/266984/unofficial-club-

[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 12:44]

Interesting post, but actually, far more information than I want or need to know about them.
I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 12:54 - Mar 26 with 1844 viewsdirk_doone

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 06:46 - Mar 25 by RednWight

Leeds United's nickname was the Peacocks, not because of their traditional blue and yellow shirts but because they used to play at the Old Peacock ground. But, after Don Revie decided that copying Real Madrid's all-white strip might help improve their performance, they became known as the Lillywhites or just the Whites.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 12:54]

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 17:40 - Mar 26 with 1759 viewscocklebreath

Great facts Dirk

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 18:12 - Mar 26 with 1731 viewsDorsetIan

Modern stadiums and name changes - almost entirely rubbish.

I worked in Darlington for a while. Great old ground 'Feethams' replaced by the Reynolds Arena, named after Chairman and former safe-cracker George Reynolds who was subsequently sent down again for tax evasion. Ground now sexily titled 'The Darlington Arena' and Reynolds is punting vending machines out of an E-Cig shop in Chester-le-Street.

Not much luck down the road either. Ayresome Park swapped for The Riverside - what a sh!thole that is.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 23:08 - Mar 26 with 1651 viewskernow

Names you no longer hear.

Eastville (Bristol Rovers), Dean Court (Bournemouth), Goldstone Ground (Brighton), Ninian Park (Cardiff), Vetch Field (Swansea), Gay Meadow (Shrewsbury), Manor Hoad (Oxford), Elm Park (Reading), White Hart Lane (Tottenham), Highbury (Arsenal), County Ground (Northampton), The Old Den (Millwall), Boleyn Ground (West Ham), Layer Road (Colchester), Filbert Street (Leicester), Baseball Ground (Derby), Highfield Road (Coventry), Boothferry Park (Hull), Fellows Park (Walsall), Victoria Park (Stoke), Springfield Park (Wigan), Burnden Park (Bolton), Maine Road (Manchester City), Edgeley Park (Stockport), Haig Avenue (Southport), Gigg Lane (Bury), Peel Park (Accrington Stanley), Leeds Road (Huddersfield), Belle Vue (Doncaster), The Shay (Halifax), The Old Show Ground (Scunthorpe), Roker Park (Sunderland), Feethams (Darlington), Ayresome Park (Middlesbrough), Testwood Park (Totton).

Can any of you fellow anoraks think of any others?
I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 23:33 - Mar 26 with 1645 viewshedgeend61

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 23:08 - Mar 26 by kernow

Eastville (Bristol Rovers), Dean Court (Bournemouth), Goldstone Ground (Brighton), Ninian Park (Cardiff), Vetch Field (Swansea), Gay Meadow (Shrewsbury), Manor Hoad (Oxford), Elm Park (Reading), White Hart Lane (Tottenham), Highbury (Arsenal), County Ground (Northampton), The Old Den (Millwall), Boleyn Ground (West Ham), Layer Road (Colchester), Filbert Street (Leicester), Baseball Ground (Derby), Highfield Road (Coventry), Boothferry Park (Hull), Fellows Park (Walsall), Victoria Park (Stoke), Springfield Park (Wigan), Burnden Park (Bolton), Maine Road (Manchester City), Edgeley Park (Stockport), Haig Avenue (Southport), Gigg Lane (Bury), Peel Park (Accrington Stanley), Leeds Road (Huddersfield), Belle Vue (Doncaster), The Shay (Halifax), The Old Show Ground (Scunthorpe), Roker Park (Sunderland), Feethams (Darlington), Ayresome Park (Middlesbrough), Testwood Park (Totton).

Brentford - Griffin Park
Rotherham - Millmoor
MKDons - National Hockey Stadium
Chesterfield - Saltergate
Barnet - Underhill
Yeovil - Huish Athletic Stadium.
I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 00:32 - Mar 28 with 1472 viewsBicester_North

Just watching the programme on BBC, Richards is cringeworthy with his cliché ridden bantz and so is Lineker kissing his arse and coming up with no stories of any interest. What a bland character.

Shearer is the only one with anything interesting to say.

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 00:50 - Mar 28 with 1469 viewsBicester_North

Worst grounds for fans is difficult as in worst grounds for what reason.

Reading Madjeski- most boring to visit
Luton- biggest dump back in the 80’s
West Ham/Spurs- Most intimidating back in the 80’s early 90’s, but in Spurs case was more outside the ground than in it.
Best/loudest home atmosphere- West Ham, Leeds and Everton going back a few years very loud.

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 00:52 - Mar 28 with 1467 viewsdirk_doone

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 00:32 - Mar 28 by Bicester_North

Just watching the programme on BBC, Richards is cringeworthy with his cliché ridden bantz and so is Lineker kissing his arse and coming up with no stories of any interest. What a bland character.

Shearer is the only one with anything interesting to say.

I remember David Beckham saying that the Dell was the ground he hated playing at most. There was a season when he was public enemy No.1 and he had the misfortune to come to the Dell at the height of his unpopularity. The crowd were merciless. I felt sorry for him.

[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 9:50]

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 17:27 - Mar 28 with 1313 viewsericofarabia

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 00:52 - Mar 28 by dirk_doone

I remember David Beckham saying that the Dell was the ground he hated playing at most. There was a season when he was public enemy No.1 and he had the misfortune to come to the Dell at the height of his unpopularity. The crowd were merciless. I felt sorry for him.

[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 9:50]

Didn't a little kid chuck the ball at him whilst he was walking towards the touchline to take a throw in and get him in the nads? Also some spotty little oik pulling his shirt when he was about to take a throw in as well, or is my memory making up things that I wish had happened?
I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 19:22 - Mar 28 with 1269 viewscocklebreath

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 23:08 - Mar 26 by kernow

I’m gonna pull you up on the Boleyn ground, it’s Upton park, it just got trendy near the end

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 23:34 - Mar 28 with 1187 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 19:22 - Mar 28 by cocklebreath

I’m gonna pull you up on the Boleyn ground, it’s Upton park, it just got trendy near the end

This.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

I don’t see the old girl listed here... on 06:47 - Mar 29 with 1150 viewsJaySaint

some of the old grounds take me back 25-30 years, watching FA cup 3rd round scores / results on a sat afternoon

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024