Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 10:03 - Apr 11 with 1493 viewsGOSBTS

Apologies if somebody's posted this already, but I've recently been watching the Big Match Revisited on ITV4 and stumbled across an episode with highlights from U's v Bradford at Layer Road, May 1977.

Here's the link if anybody would like to relive some memories!
https://www.itv.com/hub/the-big-match-revisited/1a6464a0056
Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 17:31 - Apr 11 with 1445 viewswessex_exile

Great stuff - I'd been to pretty much every home game that season, but had to miss this one because of a school trip to the Peak District. Heard the news by radio on top of Kinder Scout!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:02 - Apr 11 with 1439 viewsFruitbat

9yo me was there, behind the goal at the Layer Road end. Bradford were already up and it was between us and Swansea, who were at already champions Cambridge. Can't remember exactly but I think if they won (they did) then we also had to win to go up.
Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:15 - Apr 11 with 1435 viewsTheOldOakTree

Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 17:31 - Apr 11 by wessex_exile

Great stuff - I'd been to pretty much every home game that season, but had to miss this one because of a school trip to the Peak District. Heard the news by radio on top of Kinder Scout!

Was that the school trip staying at the Youth Hostel in Hartington, when our coach got vandalised overnight by Derby County supporters? Think Col U had recently played Derby in the League Cup and took it to a replay?

Edit: Too much vin rouge with my Sunday Lunch. Not sure what vanadised would be? Possibly a van conversion?
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 18:20]
Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:24 - Apr 11 with 1425 viewswessex_exile

Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:15 - Apr 11 by TheOldOakTree

Was that the school trip staying at the Youth Hostel in Hartington, when our coach got vandalised overnight by Derby County supporters? Think Col U had recently played Derby in the League Cup and took it to a replay?

Edit: Too much vin rouge with my Sunday Lunch. Not sure what vanadised would be? Possibly a van conversion?
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 18:20]

LOL - currently featured on “Pimp My Sherpa”. That’s the one, it was after our FA Cup matches earlier that year. John Doncaster took a radio out with him on the Saturday afternoon hike so we could hear the result.

Up the U's

Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:33 - Apr 11 with 1418 viewsbwildered

U’s feature 29mins in, was hoping for some 1970s adverts .
Yes, needed to win to get promoted. Nearly 9k crowd with large away following. I was present in the bar side that hot ,bright day.
Bradford had in there side centre forward Bernie Wright, one of the top scorers in the division that season. The bearded striker missed a host of chances throughout the game, ensuring a U’s victory.
Entertainment abound in those days watching Gough , Garwood ,Allison score for fun .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:42 - Apr 11 with 1417 viewsTheOldOakTree

Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:24 - Apr 11 by wessex_exile

LOL - currently featured on “Pimp My Sherpa”. That’s the one, it was after our FA Cup matches earlier that year. John Doncaster took a radio out with him on the Saturday afternoon hike so we could hear the result.

I vaguely remember a Col U supporting John, but can’t remember his surname. My overriding memory of him was getting tvvatted, good and proper, by some normally placid lad of Scottish ancestry. They were normally friends I think.

We were waiting for a lesson under the stairs to the staff room, when (this was the Ally Macleod era) John starts signing “I’d rather be a muppet than a J@ck”. Fair to say his mate didn’t see the funny side of it.

I remember watching the replay on our black and white telly. I think Derby had someone a bit useful who played on the wing?
Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:49 - Apr 11 with 1412 viewswessex_exile

Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:42 - Apr 11 by TheOldOakTree

I vaguely remember a Col U supporting John, but can’t remember his surname. My overriding memory of him was getting tvvatted, good and proper, by some normally placid lad of Scottish ancestry. They were normally friends I think.

We were waiting for a lesson under the stairs to the staff room, when (this was the Ally Macleod era) John starts signing “I’d rather be a muppet than a J@ck”. Fair to say his mate didn’t see the funny side of it.

I remember watching the replay on our black and white telly. I think Derby had someone a bit useful who played on the wing?

That sounds like John, he was always a bit gobby. His Dad was vicar of Ardleigh church, and there was an epic party out there one night. I’m not sure of the cause, but I heard John had passed away quite a few years ago.

Edit: reckon you’re thinking of Leighton James?
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 19:03]

Up the U's

Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 19:30 - Apr 11 with 1389 viewsTheOldOakTree

Big Match Revisited ITV - U's v Bradford, May 1977 on 18:33 - Apr 11 by bwildered

U’s feature 29mins in, was hoping for some 1970s adverts .
Yes, needed to win to get promoted. Nearly 9k crowd with large away following. I was present in the bar side that hot ,bright day.
Bradford had in there side centre forward Bernie Wright, one of the top scorers in the division that season. The bearded striker missed a host of chances throughout the game, ensuring a U’s victory.
Entertainment abound in those days watching Gough , Garwood ,Allison score for fun .

I think I'm correct in saying Allinson is in the Col U Hall of Fame, but not Gough? Not sure that's fair?

Edit: Wessex, yes Leighton James, that's him. Proper silky with no end product if I remember.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 19:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024