Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Super League 20:44 - Apr 18 with 7048 viewsSadoldgit

Here we go then!
European Super League on 20:54 - Apr 18 with 2914 viewssaint22

Rio speaking very eloquently about it
Good on him
European Super League on 21:01 - Apr 18 with 2894 viewsSaintsforeverj

Greedy, selfish foreign owners spoiling the English game, pure and simple. Every fan, even those of the top clubs, former players, are all against this.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

European Super League on 21:09 - Apr 18 with 2869 viewsCenturion

TBH, I hope the big 6 do break away. They are killing domestic football as it is.
European Super League on 21:30 - Apr 18 with 2828 viewssolent_toffee

Gary Neville saying that they should be relegated for being in breach of PL rules by signing a letter of intent to form this league.

They are playing a dangerous game, I’d be worried if I were a genuine Liverpool, City or United fan because this isn’t about them, this is about the telly clapping consumers and will end up like a big pre-season tour that they all milk every season. How long before ‘home’ games take place in Chicago, Malaysia, Shanghai etc.
European Super League on 21:32 - Apr 18 with 2814 viewsgrumpy

At this moment in time, I couldn't care less.
European Super League on 21:34 - Apr 18 with 2798 viewskernow

Me neither.
European Super League on 22:07 - Apr 18 with 2736 viewsTripleNiemi

Spurs......SPURS ffs!!

[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 22:08]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

European Super League on 22:14 - Apr 18 with 2708 viewsSadoldgit

I think fans of the “big six” will not support this potential move. Hopefully the backlash will kill off the idea for good.
Login to get fewer ads

European Super League on 22:32 - Apr 18 with 2673 viewsTripleNiemi

European Super League on 22:14 - Apr 18 by Sadoldgit

I think fans of the “big six” will not support this potential move. Hopefully the backlash will kill off the idea for good.

Sadold....if we are honest i suspect what i would call those 'true' fans, i.e. ones born within close proximity or follow one of their beloved Top 6 clubs will be totally against it. Some might think its great going away to Spain, Germany etc for a season of two but fcuk me, thereafter the numbers of those fans will drop. This is all about catering for the millions of Foreign supporters who only follow winning teams. Personally, i hope they all do one. Kick them out of the domestic competitions and make it clear that there is no way back. Once Spurs fans and the like get bored of being cannon fodder (much like us in the PL) they will soon start dripping.

I hope it happens. Get shot of them....in fact, why not simply go 'worldwide' league.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 22:34]

European Super League on 22:37 - Apr 18 with 2639 viewsBicester_North

European Super League on 20:54 - Apr 18 by saint22

Rio speaking very eloquently about it
Good on him

There’s a first time for everything.

What did the thick alleged drug cheat Baby Bentley c*nt say?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

European Super League on 22:38 - Apr 18 with 2635 viewskingslandstand1

European Super League on 22:14 - Apr 18 by Sadoldgit

The supporters don't like it and that is quite clear from what I've read, but also I don't think it will be as straightforward as just telling them to fuk off

It seems FIFA and EUFA are dead against it, in fact who, other than the owners of the 12 clubs, want it to go ahead?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56794673
European Super League on 22:46 - Apr 18 with 2628 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Gary Neville's rant on Sky was incredible - top bloke. He's a genuine fan who realises what football means and more importantly the ROOT of football's success which is working class blokes paying to support their team on a weekend.

Not what it is now, consumerist f**king bollocks of nerds who have never played football and overseas "fans" buying all the club tat.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

European Super League on 22:51 - Apr 18 with 2617 viewskingslandstand1

European Super League on 22:46 - Apr 18 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Gary Neville's rant on Sky was incredible - top bloke. He's a genuine fan who realises what football means and more importantly the ROOT of football's success which is working class blokes paying to support their team on a weekend.

Not what it is now, consumerist f**king bollocks of nerds who have never played football and overseas "fans" buying all the club tat.

That's about right
European Super League on 07:15 - Apr 19 with 2480 viewsHeisenberg

Demand that the 6 clubs immediately declare they will not be part of this breakaway threatening if they don’t they will be expelled from the league and cups and players taking part will not play for national sides. Add that if they do go and reapply to join the leagues they will enter in the lowest tier.

These clubs have shown utter contempt.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

European Super League on 07:31 - Apr 19 with 2463 viewssolent_toffee

European Super League on 07:15 - Apr 19 by Heisenberg

Demand that the 6 clubs immediately declare they will not be part of this breakaway threatening if they don’t they will be expelled from the league and cups and players taking part will not play for national sides. Add that if they do go and reapply to join the leagues they will enter in the lowest tier.

These clubs have shown utter contempt.

All six clubs have announced that they are founder members and have joined the ESL (I know, I know) via a statement on their social media platforms.
European Super League on 07:36 - Apr 19 with 2455 viewsNumber_58

As I read it the 'Big 6' are not all quitiing the PL like everyone seems to be making out. It's a midweek replacement for the CL.
European Super League on 07:46 - Apr 19 with 2434 viewsTripleNiemi

European Super League on 07:36 - Apr 19 by Number_58

As I read it the 'Big 6' are not all quitiing the PL like everyone seems to be making out. It's a midweek replacement for the CL.

They should not have a choice, they want their cake and to eat it as always. The domestic leagues need to stand firm and kick them out but sadly as we know, they wont. These clubs will somehow maintain their league status and simply make the agents and players even richer from the replacement additional league. The FA and others need to unite and stand firm. Players no longer able to play for the country etc etc.

We started all this bollöx when 'we' were happily becoming founder members of the PL. Surprised it has taken this long to go to the next level to be honest.

European Super League on 08:23 - Apr 19 with 2382 viewsBerber

This is an interesting one. What they are trying to do at the European level is exactly what happened when the PL was formed. The top clubs (rightly) thinking that they deserved a bigger take of the wider global revenues that their brand and performances merit. Who could really argue that the FA bunglers managing the game would have done a better job than the PL has in developing and promoting English football as a world class product?

The downside of course is that TV and sponsorship revenues far outstrip fan generated revenue, in the same way that their is an audience that pays through the nose for Sky and BT sports packages. (I have to put up my hand to doing this in this lockdown year). The local fans become far, far less important economically.

The US sports franchise system has shown that their is a model based on loyalty based on performance rather than loyalty based on geography or heredity, and the US and other foreign owners remain convinced that this will work for European and global football too. They may be right.

We are right to feel that we are being robbed though. None of these clubs were created out of an economic model, they were based out of local, tribal identity that shows that it still matters. This club, others too have fans that found it important to stay with the team, and winning League 1, then the Championship to compete with the best teams in Europe is both viable and crucial. That is the true lifeblood of the game.

I'm pretty sure that even the corrupt FIFA and UEFA organisations will muster enough loyalty to hold their ground. We may lose some of those teams, and we'll see the "Kerry Packer" exercise repeated until an accommodation is reached. There is no doubt that the proliferation of cup competitions at national and international level is creating a farcical situation where we are heading towards the cricket model where we wonder, "So what competition is this then? Does it matter? Another one will be along in a few weeks."

For those teams in the PL, even one stripped of the greedy, famous clubs, they will continue to be the mainstay of local and national interest. The fans will still be passionate, the matter of promotion and relegation will remain vital. Personally, if the clubs mentioned want to go off and create their own game, it is fine with me. I'll agree with FIFA if they ban all participants from FIFA related competitions. It will be a travesty for true fans of the clubs concerned, and the owners will probably take a bath, but maybe not.
European Super League on 08:36 - Apr 19 with 2364 viewsCenturion

I have to say I support the BIG 6 forming their own European Super League but only if they agree to surrender their places in the Premier league and football league. Also to forfeit their right to play in the FA Cup and League Cup.

If I was the FA and the one of the clubs outside the Big 6 I would call their bluff. If the Big 6 do go ahead with the Super League then wish them good luck and the rest of football can enjoy getting on with a newly refreshed and more equal league with relegation and promotion.

I don't think the rest of football will die, far from it. I think it will open things up and make for more exciting domestic football.
European Super League on 08:47 - Apr 19 with 2343 viewsTripleNiemi

European Super League on 08:36 - Apr 19 by Centurion

I have to say I support the BIG 6 forming their own European Super League but only if they agree to surrender their places in the Premier league and football league. Also to forfeit their right to play in the FA Cup and League Cup.

If I was the FA and the one of the clubs outside the Big 6 I would call their bluff. If the Big 6 do go ahead with the Super League then wish them good luck and the rest of football can enjoy getting on with a newly refreshed and more equal league with relegation and promotion.

I don't think the rest of football will die, far from it. I think it will open things up and make for more exciting domestic football.

100 % this.

Sadly the fly in the ointment would be when say a dormant powerhouse (such as AFC Portsmouth for arguments sake) or other clubs then start doing well in the Domestic league. There is sure to be some dripping then when they deem at that point they should be part of the Superleague. Closed shop with no new members should be interesting to say the least.

European Super League on 08:52 - Apr 19 with 2329 viewsNumber_58

European Super League on 07:46 - Apr 19 by TripleNiemi

They should not have a choice, they want their cake and to eat it as always. The domestic leagues need to stand firm and kick them out but sadly as we know, they wont. These clubs will somehow maintain their league status and simply make the agents and players even richer from the replacement additional league. The FA and others need to unite and stand firm. Players no longer able to play for the country etc etc.

We started all this bollöx when 'we' were happily becoming founder members of the PL. Surprised it has taken this long to go to the next level to be honest.

I get all that, but reading many of the rants on SM it appears that a lot of people think that the big 6 are actually quitting the EPL, which is not the case. To me it looks like they're replacing one mega rich elitist competition with another. And lets face it, any organisation that calls itself the 'Champions League' and invites the fourth best teams in a country to enter probably deserves to be usurped at some point.
European Super League on 09:00 - Apr 19 with 2300 viewskingslandstand1

European Super League on 08:36 - Apr 19 by Centurion

According to the BBC report the PL have already said they would not allow them to play but time will tell

The biggest issue is that the clubs have apparently said they would want to continue to play as they are now in the Prem at weekends with the SL during the week but how on earth could that happen? These big clubs would have therefore multiplied their existing wealth by God knows how much so in effect there will be no chance for the likes of Leicester, West Ham, us (!) etc to ever get in to the top 6

As you say, call their bluff and see what happens
European Super League on 09:05 - Apr 19 with 2278 viewskingslandstand1

One positive of the announcement timing of this SL is that they are all talking on the radio about this and not our dire performance at Wembley yesterday!
European Super League on 09:13 - Apr 19 with 2256 views1885_SFC

European Super League on 09:05 - Apr 19 by kingslandstand1

One positive of the announcement timing of this SL is that they are all talking on the radio about this and not our dire performance at Wembley yesterday!

It feels like we're at a really crap, dull party & we're sneaking out the back door and going home before anyone notices.

Old School is Cool

European Super League on 09:48 - Apr 19 with 2207 viewsdirk_doone

It reminds me of Kerry Packer's cricket circus.

I doubt that it will get off the ground and even if it does, it won't last more than a year or two. The clubs that enter into it are heading for a big fall.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024