Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Relegation squads compared 01:07 - Apr 19 with 4552 viewsShun

I thought I’d do a bit of a comparison between this squad and the one from last time we were relegated.

So the bulk of our squad this season has been:
Bazunu, Lynch
McLaughlin, Keohane, EOC, Osho, McShane, Roberts, Bola, Done
Morley, Lund, Rathbone, Dooley, Newby, Grant, O’Shaugnessy
Humphrys, Beesley, Baah
Bit-part players: McNulty, Tavares, Ryan, Vale and Brierley

11/12 season:
Kean, Lucas, Kurucz
Darby, Trotman, Balkestein, Holness, Holden, Amankwaah, Long, Jordan, Widdowson
Kennedy, BBM, Tutte, Jones, Adams, Thompson
Grimes, Symes, Akpa-Akpro, Ball
Bit-part players: Bunn, Twaddle, Barnes-Homer, Bogdanovic, Obadeyi, Hackney, M.Edwards, Eccleston, Benali, Bergkamp, McConville, Gray, Ormerod, P.Edwards

The immediately evident difference is the squad size. The latter was bloated with journeymen, City youths or Coleman mates who arrived, did not an awful lot for two or three games, and then disappeared.

Looking at the players though there’s only really Jones, Adams, Long and Kurucz who I’d take from the 11/12 squad and think would make an improvement to the current team. Furthermore, the 11/12 team had quite a few players, namely, Trotman; Balkestein; Barnes-Homer; Bergkamp, who I’d consider for genuine ‘worst ever Dale player’ in their respective positions. There’s no one in the current squad we can even contemplate that about.

Ultimately, this squad is absolutely streets ahead of that one on quality, but the fact that we’re not doing much better than it is all the more frustrating.
Relegation squads compared on 07:48 - Apr 19 with 4415 viewsDaleiLama

Interesting reading that Shun. You would certainly have expected a talented young manager to have made better use of a squad not lacking in talent. It's not a play off squad and it's also not a relegation battle squad.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Relegation squads compared on 08:00 - Apr 19 with 4405 viewsVivaDonaldo

If you take that same list and take out anyone missing with injury for significant periods you end up with (I think):

Lynch
Keohane, Osho, Roberts, Bola, Done
Morley, Newby, Grant, O’Shaugnessy
Bit-part players: McNulty, Tavares and Brierley

Easy to see one reason why its been difficult to achieve consistency.
Relegation squads compared on 17:13 - Apr 19 with 4119 viewsAtThePeake

Relegation squads compared on 08:00 - Apr 19 by VivaDonaldo

If you take that same list and take out anyone missing with injury for significant periods you end up with (I think):

Lynch
Keohane, Osho, Roberts, Bola, Done
Morley, Newby, Grant, O’Shaugnessy
Bit-part players: McNulty, Tavares and Brierley

Easy to see one reason why its been difficult to achieve consistency.

Depends what you class as a 'significant' period. Of the players you've not included there you still have the following in the league alone:

Bazunu: 29 apps
O'Connell: 34 apps
McLaughlin: 30 apps
Dooley: 27 apps
Rathbone: 35 apps
Lund: 29 apps
Humphrys: 25 apps
Beesley: 22 apps
Baah: 27 apps

I know it's about missing several at the same time, but all of those players have been available more often than they've been unavailable this season.

Tangled up in blue.

Relegation squads compared on 18:32 - Apr 19 with 4039 viewsVivaDonaldo

Relegation squads compared on 17:13 - Apr 19 by AtThePeake

Depends what you class as a 'significant' period. Of the players you've not included there you still have the following in the league alone:

Bazunu: 29 apps
O'Connell: 34 apps
McLaughlin: 30 apps
Dooley: 27 apps
Rathbone: 35 apps
Lund: 29 apps
Humphrys: 25 apps
Beesley: 22 apps
Baah: 27 apps

I know it's about missing several at the same time, but all of those players have been available more often than they've been unavailable this season.

Well to the managers previous point the significance is not necessarily about how many weeks they've been out but how many games they'd missed and also when we've seen the accumulative effect of it being focused in certain areas I.e centre back and attacking at key periods of the season.

I'm not absolving the club/manager of all responsibility because a decision was obviously made at some point to roll with a smaller squad with the players that were chosen.
Relegation squads compared on 19:29 - Apr 19 with 3932 viewsD_Alien

Relegation squads compared on 18:32 - Apr 19 by VivaDonaldo

Well to the managers previous point the significance is not necessarily about how many weeks they've been out but how many games they'd missed and also when we've seen the accumulative effect of it being focused in certain areas I.e centre back and attacking at key periods of the season.

I'm not absolving the club/manager of all responsibility because a decision was obviously made at some point to roll with a smaller squad with the players that were chosen.

The two latest home victories have been achieved without our two leading scorers, Humphrys & Lund (apart from 2 minutes), Done, Ryan and Roberts

The games were won through adopting a pragmatic style of moving the ball forward more rapidly rather than the dire and unnecessary possession-based style we've been subject to for most of the season

The squad is good enough, even with key players missing. Absence through injuries is a complete red herring

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Relegation squads compared on 20:05 - Apr 19 with 3876 viewsVivaDonaldo

Relegation squads compared on 19:29 - Apr 19 by D_Alien

The two latest home victories have been achieved without our two leading scorers, Humphrys & Lund (apart from 2 minutes), Done, Ryan and Roberts

The games were won through adopting a pragmatic style of moving the ball forward more rapidly rather than the dire and unnecessary possession-based style we've been subject to for most of the season

The squad is good enough, even with key players missing. Absence through injuries is a complete red herring

I think to say it's a red herring is perhaps a little harsh.

I'm not saying it's a main reason for our issues this year but a contributing factor. As is the managers insistence on rigidly sticking to a tactical ethos and formation we couldn't pull off with the available players.

This year really has been a huge combination of issues some on field some off.
Relegation squads compared on 20:16 - Apr 19 with 3844 viewsJames1980

On a slightly positive note this seasons squad has already outperformed the 2011/12 one. 39 points from 41 games as opposed to 38 from 46 games.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Relegation squads compared on 20:29 - Apr 19 with 3812 viewsTVOS1907

Relegation squads compared on 20:16 - Apr 19 by James1980

On a slightly positive note this seasons squad has already outperformed the 2011/12 one. 39 points from 41 games as opposed to 38 from 46 games.

Get the bunting out.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Relegation squads compared on 20:30 - Apr 19 with 3811 viewsD_Alien

Relegation squads compared on 20:05 - Apr 19 by VivaDonaldo

I think to say it's a red herring is perhaps a little harsh.

I'm not saying it's a main reason for our issues this year but a contributing factor. As is the managers insistence on rigidly sticking to a tactical ethos and formation we couldn't pull off with the available players.

This year really has been a huge combination of issues some on field some off.

Naturally, failure on the pitch is down to more than one factor, although i wouldn't say it's a huge combination of reasons we need to look at. Most have been well aired throughout this season

It was the final paragraph in your previous post that suggested you were seeking to use the squad as a primary reason for failure, rather than the poor deployment of players during games

Relegation squads compared on 09:58 - Apr 21 with 3467 viewsboromat

Relegation squads compared on 20:16 - Apr 19 by James1980

On a slightly more negative note 9 points still required from 4 games to match the recent great escape season and this year I'm not sure that'll be enough.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Relegation squads compared on 10:10 - Apr 21 with 3442 viewsJames1980

Relegation squads compared on 09:58 - Apr 21 by boromat

On a slightly more negative note 9 points still required from 4 games to match the recent great escape season and this year I'm not sure that'll be enough.

As I put on the Blackpool match thread. Winning our remaining games doesn't guarantee safety.

Relegation squads compared on 11:40 - Apr 21 with 3378 viewsD_Alien

Relegation squads compared on 10:10 - Apr 21 by James1980

As I put on the Blackpool match thread. Winning our remaining games doesn't guarantee safety.

Most of us can do basic maths, James

Relegation squads compared on 18:12 - Apr 21 with 3172 viewsJames1980

Relegation squads compared on 11:40 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

What made you feel the need to put that comment?

Relegation squads compared on 18:35 - Apr 21 with 3146 viewsD_Alien

Relegation squads compared on 18:12 - Apr 21 by James1980

What made you feel the need to put that comment?

Do you disagree with it?

Relegation squads compared on 21:33 - Apr 21 with 3040 viewsTVOS1907

Relegation squads compared on 11:40 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

Or in some cases, complicated Maths.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Relegation squads compared on 22:00 - Apr 21 with 3013 viewsJames1980

Relegation squads compared on 18:35 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

Do you disagree with it?

I am sure your maths skills are superb. I felt your response to my post was somewhat sardonic. Anyway I put about our potential points tally possibly not being enough to keep us safe because we could end up with one of the highest points tallys for a relegated team.

Relegation squads compared on 22:21 - Apr 21 with 2985 viewsD_Alien

Relegation squads compared on 22:00 - Apr 21 by James1980

I am sure your maths skills are superb. I felt your response to my post was somewhat sardonic. Anyway I put about our potential points tally possibly not being enough to keep us safe because we could end up with one of the highest points tallys for a relegated team.

Talking of points, you've completely missed it again

Relegation squads compared on 22:56 - Apr 21 with 2951 viewsJames1980

Relegation squads compared on 22:21 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

Talking of points, you've completely missed it again

Please tell me the point of your comment that I have missed, other than a snidey dig. Unless it is just we don't need to be reminded of the position in which we find ourselves, but that makes up quite a lot of the content of the forum at present.

Relegation squads compared on 00:11 - Apr 22 with 2904 viewsD_Alien

Relegation squads compared on 22:56 - Apr 21 by James1980

Please tell me the point of your comment that I have missed, other than a snidey dig. Unless it is just we don't need to be reminded of the position in which we find ourselves, but that makes up quite a lot of the content of the forum at present.

Yes, we know

You posted it on the Blackpool match thread

Relegation squads compared on 05:33 - Apr 22 with 2858 viewsJames1980

Relegation squads compared on 00:11 - Apr 22 by D_Alien

Yes, we know

You posted it on the Blackpool match thread

Oh you have a problem with me repeating myself is that the point? I thought my heinous post acknowledged that I was aware I'd made a similar comment elsewhere. I MUST try harder.

Relegation squads compared on 06:20 - Apr 22 with 2832 viewsD_Alien

Relegation squads compared on 05:33 - Apr 22 by James1980

Oh you have a problem with me repeating myself is that the point? I thought my heinous post acknowledged that I was aware I'd made a similar comment elsewhere. I MUST try harder.

Might i suggest you simply try less hard?

[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 7:37]

Relegation squads compared on 06:57 - Apr 22 with 2806 viewsJames1980

Relegation squads compared on 06:20 - Apr 22 by D_Alien

Might i suggest you simply try less hard?

[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 7:37]

Now we are getting to what the point really is.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024