Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy 15:40 - May 3 with 3684 viewsForeverred

Just a idea to honour Lawrie after his achievements for the club. He is in his senior years now, and in my opinion deserves to be honoured. I have just received my memorabilia box reliving the wonderful day in 1976 , the dvd is very well done with interviews from Lawrie and the boys, on their journey through the rounds , then on to the final, and how much it meant to the people of Southampton. Lawrie was the architect of that success. Blending older experienced players with younger ones, and the will to win it comes across on the dvd. I just wondered how many fans agree with me regarding giving his name to one of the stands, if there is enough demand then I would be happy to lobby the club to get their response.
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 15:57 - May 3 with 2971 viewsgrumpy

I think that is a great idea.
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 19:32 - May 3 with 2888 viewsbarry_sanchez

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 15:57 - May 3 by grumpy

I think that is a great idea.

I have had a gutful of 1976, all it does is highlight our lack of success over the years.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 20:28 - May 3 with 2855 viewsA1079

Gets my 100% support Foreverred.

It wasn't just the cup final, it was the manner in which he made us a competitive club with the best and his ability to bring in players of stature and mix with our younger players. Then there was the brand of football as well, especially that period in which he brought in a form of Total football.
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 20:41 - May 3 with 2846 viewsSaintsforeverj

Name a stand after him and / or give him a statue. His name must be remembered. I've met him too: thoroughly genuine, warm, decent man.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 20:48 - May 3 with 2833 viewskingslandstand1

It wasn't just 76. There was the League Cup Final in 79, runners up and cup semi final in 84, the signing of Keegan in 82 (?) and he actually put us on the footballing map

Yes he took us down in his first season (he only took over part way through I think), but got us back up again and was and still is a great supporter of the club and did so much for the region

Something should be done, but alas I'm not sure it will happen though it would be great if the club did something for him
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 21:06 - May 3 with 2820 viewsgrumpy

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 20:28 - May 3 by A1079

Gets my 100% support Foreverred.

It wasn't just the cup final, it was the manner in which he made us a competitive club with the best and his ability to bring in players of stature and mix with our younger players. Then there was the brand of football as well, especially that period in which he brought in a form of Total football.

The football I saw under Lawrie's time I doubt will be bettered.
List the players he bought to the little old dell and it would make impressive reading.
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 21:38 - May 3 with 2793 viewskernow

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 21:06 - May 3 by grumpy

The football I saw under Lawrie's time I doubt will be bettered.
List the players he bought to the little old dell and it would make impressive reading.

Peter Shilton, Peter Rodriguez, Mick Mills. Ivan Golac, David Peach, Mark Dennis, Mark Wright, Mel Blyth, Dave Watson, Chris Nichol, Jim McCalliog, Alan Ball, Kevin Keegan, Mike Channon, Peter Osgood, Frank Worthington . All were players who were supposedly past their peak. There must be others I've failed to mention.
It would be nice to commemorate him whilst he's still with us.
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 08:47 - May 4 with 2696 viewsA1079

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 21:38 - May 3 by kernow

Peter Shilton, Peter Rodriguez, Mick Mills. Ivan Golac, David Peach, Mark Dennis, Mark Wright, Mel Blyth, Dave Watson, Chris Nichol, Jim McCalliog, Alan Ball, Kevin Keegan, Mike Channon, Peter Osgood, Frank Worthington . All were players who were supposedly past their peak. There must be others I've failed to mention.

I agree Kernow. Why not do it now whilst he is with us, so that he can be a part of it and enjoy the day and the moment?
Login to get fewer ads

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 09:14 - May 4 with 2690 viewsSaintNick

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 20:48 - May 3 by kingslandstand1

It wasn't just 76. There was the League Cup Final in 79, runners up and cup semi final in 84, the signing of Keegan in 82 (?) and he actually put us on the footballing map

Yes he took us down in his first season (he only took over part way through I think), but got us back up again and was and still is a great supporter of the club and did so much for the region

Something should be done, but alas I'm not sure it will happen though it would be great if the club did something for him

McMenemy was team manager designate at the start of the 73/74 season so was effectively in charge for the whole season, he wasn't popular at the Dell almost to the point of when we won the cup, perhaps something we could learn from today with Ralph, it takes time to build a dynasty.

The problem is he left under a slight cloud, he returned in 1994 but left again in 1996 after falling out with Lowe, came back again under Wilde and then went again, that has meant he has never been truly honoured because he has fallen out with various boards/owners.

Ironically the current board and owner have honoured him more than most, a little fan pressure would make something happen

No one can deny Lawrie's place in the club's history and the great things he has done, he should have a statue outside St Mary's and it needs to be led by the supporters not the club, but in the meantime name a stand after him.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 10:48 - May 4 with 2659 viewsSadoldgit

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 21:38 - May 3 by kernow

Didn’t we have 4 ex England captains playing for us at one time?
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 14:35 - May 4 with 2608 viewsBison

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 10:48 - May 4 by Sadoldgit

There was 'quiz' like question going around that asked which team played 7 England captains past and present in one game back in the 80's. I dont think it actually happened but its always a fun question asking rivals fans to name the team and the players. Any takers ?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 16:23 - May 4 with 2572 viewsPoirot

Dont want anything named at st marys.

I think changing britannia road to 'mcmenemy way' would be suffice. Which would simply need the consent of the residents and businesses in it.

Totally pissed bored with 1976 and the constant overkill and only cup win.

[Post edited 4 May 2021 16:26]
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 16:42 - May 4 with 2553 viewsgrumpy

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 10:48 - May 4 by Sadoldgit

Alan Ball, Dave Watson, Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan all Captained England.
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 17:42 - May 4 with 2526 viewsBison

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 16:42 - May 4 by grumpy

Alan Ball, Dave Watson, Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan all Captained England.

you got 3 of the 7 , shearer was too young.

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 17:57 - May 4 with 2521 viewsgrumpy

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 17:42 - May 4 by Bison

I said they Captained England not that they played at the same time.
Alf Ramsey Captained England, he played 90 times for Saints.
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 18:52 - May 4 with 2486 viewsBicester_North

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 17:42 - May 4 by Bison

Mills, Shilton, Channon

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 18:59 - May 4 with 2483 viewsgrumpy

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 18:52 - May 4 by Bicester_North

Mills, Shilton, Channon

Mick Mills is a good shout, not sure Channon or Shilton ever Captained England.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 19:01]
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 19:32 - May 4 with 2468 viewsBison

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 18:52 - May 4 by Bicester_North

Mills, Shilton, Channon

Thats 6 , last one was a future England Captain.

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 19:47 - May 4 with 2460 viewsBicester_North

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 19:32 - May 4 by Bison

Thats 6 , last one was a future England Captain.

Mark Wright

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 20:45 - May 4 with 2434 viewsgrumpy

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 19:47 - May 4 by Bicester_North

Mark Wright

Good one, captained England in a friendly.
That'seven
Alan Ball
Mark Wright
Dave Watson
Kevin Keegan
Mick Mills
Alan Shearer
Alf Ramsey
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 21:10 - May 4 with 2412 viewsBison

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 20:45 - May 4 by grumpy

Good one, captained England in a friendly.
That'seven
Alan Ball
Mark Wright
Dave Watson
Kevin Keegan
Mick Mills
Alan Shearer
Alf Ramsey

Channon and Shilton also captained England and there was a brief time in 1982 I think where 6 or 7 were at the club at same time. The quiz question was what team played 7 England Captains in 1 game , it didnt actually happen but that team was -

Shilton
Alan Ball
Mark Wright
Dave Watson
Kevin Keegan
Mick Mills
Mike Channon

I expect Dirk can find some programs where at least 4 or 5 maybe played in same game.

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 21:36 - May 4 with 2400 viewsgrumpy

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 21:10 - May 4 by Bison

Channon and Shilton also captained England and there was a brief time in 1982 I think where 6 or 7 were at the club at same time. The quiz question was what team played 7 England Captains in 1 game , it didnt actually happen but that team was -

Shilton
Alan Ball
Mark Wright
Dave Watson
Kevin Keegan
Mick Mills
Mike Channon

I expect Dirk can find some programs where at least 4 or 5 maybe played in same game.

Yep!you're right Shilton has been Captain,cant find any record of Mick Channon being Captain.
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 22:21 - May 4 with 2384 viewsBison

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 21:36 - May 4 by grumpy

Yep!you're right Shilton has been Captain,cant find any record of Mick Channon being Captain.

https://www.englandstats.com/matches.php?mid=502

Did it twice but scoring 2 as a captain just after winning cup must be a highlight

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 06:37 - May 5 with 2328 viewsgrumpy

Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 22:21 - May 4 by Bison

https://www.englandstats.com/matches.php?mid=502

Did it twice but scoring 2 as a captain just after winning cup must be a highlight

Well done.
Scored 21 goals for England too .
Won 46 caps and never played in a World Cup.
Northern Ireland in 1977 was the second cap.
[Post edited 5 May 2021 7:00]
Name a stand after Lawrie McMenemy on 14:15 - May 6 with 2224 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

To be fair, it's a splendid idea. Mcmenemy will be 85 soon, and might not be around for too much longer. Why not celebrate your only success soon with a living manager before the opportunity is gone.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024