Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local Elections 2021 08:15 - May 5 with 5025 viewsSadoldgit

Can’t believe they are happening tomorrow. Usually there are candidates boards in front gardens and piles of electoral literature on the door mat. This year, apart from a few boards from the Greens there are very few boards around. We have also had some leaflets from the Torys but not from anyone else. No one knocking on doors asking for votes. I don’t even know who the candidates are. Ok, it’s not as big a deal as a GE but it is still important. It is as if no one in this part of the world gives a ****.
Local Elections 2021 on 17:29 - May 5 with 2194 viewsIanSouthstander

All i've had is a postcard sized Labour leaflet. I live in a ward (Bargate) that continually has the lowest turn out in the city.
Hardly surprising really . If the candidates can't be arsed to make themselves known , why should anyone bother to turn up to vote for them .
For the 1st time i might not bother myself tomorrow.
Local Elections 2021 on 19:39 - May 5 with 2143 viewsSadoldgit

Local Elections 2021 on 17:29 - May 5 by IanSouthstander

All i've had is a postcard sized Labour leaflet. I live in a ward (Bargate) that continually has the lowest turn out in the city.
Hardly surprising really . If the candidates can't be arsed to make themselves known , why should anyone bother to turn up to vote for them .
For the 1st time i might not bother myself tomorrow.

They mentioned on the news earlier that Covid regulations have prevented a lot of the door step campaigning, but that doesn’t stop the party’s from distributing their leaflets. We have still only received a pile of blurb from the Tories. Nothing at all from anyone else. It is a safe Tory area but how does anyone expect to change things if they don’t even bother to promote their policies - especially with local issues where you are more likely to get people inside if you chose local hot topics.
Local Elections 2021 on 21:02 - May 5 with 2114 viewsIanSouthstander

Local Elections 2021 on 19:39 - May 5 by Sadoldgit

They mentioned on the news earlier that Covid regulations have prevented a lot of the door step campaigning, but that doesn’t stop the party’s from distributing their leaflets. We have still only received a pile of blurb from the Tories. Nothing at all from anyone else. It is a safe Tory area but how does anyone expect to change things if they don’t even bother to promote their policies - especially with local issues where you are more likely to get people inside if you chose local hot topics.

In my ward they can't use covid as an excuse. It's been like this for years.
I agree with you about how are things going to change when parties don't promote alternative policies.
I suppose at the end of the day we get the politicians we deserve.
Local Elections 2021 on 08:32 - May 6 with 2027 viewsSadoldgit

Local Elections 2021 on 21:02 - May 5 by IanSouthstander

In my ward they can't use covid as an excuse. It's been like this for years.
I agree with you about how are things going to change when parties don't promote alternative policies.
I suppose at the end of the day we get the politicians we deserve.

Local elections are about local issues, not party politics. I have just looked the the council website and found the names of the various candidates but in the section where they can summarise their priorities there is nothing for any of them. There are a number of issues in our parish that need sorting that are way above the Parish Council's spending power. I’d be happy to vote for any candidate willing to sort them out but I don’t know what most of them plan to do if they get elected. I guess people will just end up voting (if they bother at all) along party lines which means that nothing will change. It’s a shame. During the last decade of central Tory rule they have been pushing more and more responsibilities onto local and parish councils so we need to become more aware of what is going on locally.
Local Elections 2021 on 08:42 - May 6 with 2020 viewsSalisburySaint

Local Elections 2021 on 08:32 - May 6 by Sadoldgit

Local elections are about local issues, not party politics. I have just looked the the council website and found the names of the various candidates but in the section where they can summarise their priorities there is nothing for any of them. There are a number of issues in our parish that need sorting that are way above the Parish Council's spending power. I’d be happy to vote for any candidate willing to sort them out but I don’t know what most of them plan to do if they get elected. I guess people will just end up voting (if they bother at all) along party lines which means that nothing will change. It’s a shame. During the last decade of central Tory rule they have been pushing more and more responsibilities onto local and parish councils so we need to become more aware of what is going on locally.

agreed local issues is what should count in local elections, party politics shouldn't come into it.

Although a labour or sometimes tactical Lib Dem voter, for the Police Commissioners job in Wiltshire I'll be voting for an Independent, due to his support for the return of a proper Police Station in Salisbury with a custody suite. At the moment anyone arrested even for minor offences is taken up to Melksham which is ridiculous.
Local Elections 2021 on 08:57 - May 6 with 2006 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I was going to vote, but now I really can't be bothered. I've had 1 leaflet, from the incumbent Conservatives and nothing from any other party. The leaflet I got just detailed a load of guff, but I have no idea if anyone else would've done anything differently.

I appreciate lockdown rules and people not wanting callers at their door, but make the f**king effort to stick something with detail through doors.

So quite frankly it's very sad, but what is the point if I don't know what to vote for?

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Local Elections 2021 on 09:56 - May 6 with 1973 viewsButty101

Local Elections 2021 on 08:57 - May 6 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I was going to vote, but now I really can't be bothered. I've had 1 leaflet, from the incumbent Conservatives and nothing from any other party. The leaflet I got just detailed a load of guff, but I have no idea if anyone else would've done anything differently.

I appreciate lockdown rules and people not wanting callers at their door, but make the f**king effort to stick something with detail through doors.

So quite frankly it's very sad, but what is the point if I don't know what to vote for?

Yep same as . one glossy leaflet from a triple chinned fat tory boy.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Local Elections 2021 on 10:26 - May 6 with 1952 viewsKennington

Your local council these days only really has the money for refuse collection and social care. They really don’t need politicians to oversee any of that. All they need is a few contract managers. Only reason why there isn’t wholesale reform and councillors made redundant is because Westminster needs them to do the campaigning for general elections. Local elections are these days a complete waste of time.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Login to get fewer ads

Local Elections 2021 on 10:40 - May 6 with 1942 viewsSalisburySaint

Local Elections 2021 on 10:26 - May 6 by Kennington

Your local council these days only really has the money for refuse collection and social care. They really don’t need politicians to oversee any of that. All they need is a few contract managers. Only reason why there isn’t wholesale reform and councillors made redundant is because Westminster needs them to do the campaigning for general elections. Local elections are these days a complete waste of time.

Have to disagree in Southampton the councillors are responsible for a 20k itshousing stock, education and social services. They are also responsible for planning strategy and encouraging investment in the city and had a major input into West Quay developments, encouraging Ikea to come to the city

in education they have to plan well in advance for increased school places and building or extending existing schools to meet those needs

the upkeep of Housing is expensive too current budget 21/22 is over £40m for planned maintenance and substantial money spent on day to day maintenance
Local Elections 2021 on 11:46 - May 6 with 1924 viewsKennington

Local Elections 2021 on 10:40 - May 6 by SalisburySaint

Have to disagree in Southampton the councillors are responsible for a 20k itshousing stock, education and social services. They are also responsible for planning strategy and encouraging investment in the city and had a major input into West Quay developments, encouraging Ikea to come to the city

in education they have to plan well in advance for increased school places and building or extending existing schools to meet those needs

the upkeep of Housing is expensive too current budget 21/22 is over £40m for planned maintenance and substantial money spent on day to day maintenance

Councils no longer build schools. They do some admissions functions but local authority involvement with education has hugely reduced. It’s questionable why the services they do still provide require political leadership as the functions are administrative and not strategic.

Southampton as a city is an advertisement for why local politicians aren’t needed. Just look at the place, it has a seafront that is all but boarded up and can’t be seen. It has endless roads and junctions that means it’s ridiculously hard to walk around. The missus is an architect and on the odd occasion she’s been to Southampton, she can’t believe the mess. What do local councillors in the city leading regen do? IKEA would I’m sure have come anyway, and Westquay is outdated already.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 11:48]

Local Elections 2021 on 11:54 - May 6 with 1914 viewsBison

Local Elections 2021 on 11:46 - May 6 by Kennington

Councils no longer build schools. They do some admissions functions but local authority involvement with education has hugely reduced. It’s questionable why the services they do still provide require political leadership as the functions are administrative and not strategic.

Southampton as a city is an advertisement for why local politicians aren’t needed. Just look at the place, it has a seafront that is all but boarded up and can’t be seen. It has endless roads and junctions that means it’s ridiculously hard to walk around. The missus is an architect and on the odd occasion she’s been to Southampton, she can’t believe the mess. What do local councillors in the city leading regen do? IKEA would I’m sure have come anyway, and Westquay is outdated already.

The Luftwaffe gave them a blank canvas and they fecked it up.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Local Elections 2021 on 12:07 - May 6 with 1907 viewsSalisburySaint

Local Elections 2021 on 11:46 - May 6 by Kennington

Incorrect, I can assure you Southampton City Council (SCC) does still build Schools

I work for SCC in property section the past few years we've built a new school at Thornhill and are just starting a £6m new school at St Marks not far from the old Dell off Shirley Road, which was a major strategic decision, in addition we also are undertaking several extensions to existing schools . We are also regenerating large areas such as Townhall Park and building 1,000 new homes as part of an overall regeneration programme.

The Docks Seafront area is poor but there are plans for major works in the Mayflower Park area, but the Council is powerless with large areas of Waterfront as the majority of it is owned by ABP over which SCC has no control.
Local Elections 2021 on 12:15 - May 6 with 1901 viewsKennington

Local Elections 2021 on 12:07 - May 6 by SalisburySaint

Incorrect, I can assure you Southampton City Council (SCC) does still build Schools

I work for SCC in property section the past few years we've built a new school at Thornhill and are just starting a £6m new school at St Marks not far from the old Dell off Shirley Road, which was a major strategic decision, in addition we also are undertaking several extensions to existing schools . We are also regenerating large areas such as Townhall Park and building 1,000 new homes as part of an overall regeneration programme.

The Docks Seafront area is poor but there are plans for major works in the Mayflower Park area, but the Council is powerless with large areas of Waterfront as the majority of it is owned by ABP over which SCC has no control.

No they can’t build schools and haven’t been able to for several years:

“Councils are unable to require academies to expand but the majority of secondary schools are now academies. The hands of councils are also tied in building new schools, which have to be opened as academies, with all the final decisions about proposals and sponsors resting with the Secretary of State for Education.”

https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/15.36%20Education_v08WEB_

Local Elections 2021 on 12:38 - May 6 with 1890 viewsSalisburySaint

Local Elections 2021 on 12:15 - May 6 by Kennington

No they can’t build schools and haven’t been able to for several years:

“Councils are unable to require academies to expand but the majority of secondary schools are now academies. The hands of councils are also tied in building new schools, which have to be opened as academies, with all the final decisions about proposals and sponsors resting with the Secretary of State for Education.”

https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/15.36%20Education_v08WEB_

well we are in Southampton !

https://www.stmarksschool.co.uk/schoolexpansion.html

https://www.morgansindallconstruction.com/our-projects/live-projects/st-marks-ch

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/schools-learning/school-consultations/st-marks-con
[Post edited 6 May 2021 12:42]
Local Elections 2021 on 18:54 - May 6 with 1822 viewsSadoldgit

Local Elections 2021 on 08:42 - May 6 by SalisburySaint

agreed local issues is what should count in local elections, party politics shouldn't come into it.

Although a labour or sometimes tactical Lib Dem voter, for the Police Commissioners job in Wiltshire I'll be voting for an Independent, due to his support for the return of a proper Police Station in Salisbury with a custody suite. At the moment anyone arrested even for minor offences is taken up to Melksham which is ridiculous.

Just got back from the Polling Station. There was the name of an Independent candidate on the form but I had no idea what he was standing for. I might well have voted for him if he had bothered to let it be known what his aims were.
Local Elections 2021 on 07:12 - May 7 with 1753 viewssaint22

Local Elections 2021 on 18:54 - May 6 by Sadoldgit

Just got back from the Polling Station. There was the name of an Independent candidate on the form but I had no idea what he was standing for. I might well have voted for him if he had bothered to let it be known what his aims were.

So listening to radio 4 this morning it’s saying Labour lost Hartlepool because “ voters don’t trust them”
But they trust BoJo Hancock lying Raab etc??
The mind boggles at people’s thought process
Local Elections 2021 on 07:32 - May 7 with 1747 viewsHeisenberg

Local Elections 2021 on 10:26 - May 6 by Kennington

Refuse collection and social care !!

You can add to that education, planning applications , traffic management and road plan changes, all child protection procedures and management, museums and libraries, parks and green spaces, licensing of public houses and venues, dealing with neighbourhood disputes including noise pollution, housing, environmental management, youth services, public events and many other areas.

They also decide how much council tax they require and set budgets accordingly. That's why we elect officials. If you want all those services run by an unelected body and a few contract managers then maybe China or Russia is more your thing.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Local Elections 2021 on 08:53 - May 7 with 1706 viewsSadoldgit

Local Elections 2021 on 07:12 - May 7 by saint22

So listening to radio 4 this morning it’s saying Labour lost Hartlepool because “ voters don’t trust them”

When you consider that 73 million Americans still voted for Trump after 4 years of being embarrassed by him worldwide nothing should surprise you.
Local Elections 2021 on 08:58 - May 7 with 1697 viewskernow

It's Hartlepool, what do you expect?
Local Elections 2021 on 08:58 - May 7 with 1691 viewsSaintsforeverj

They trust him, because he said he would get Brexit done and he did. Labour, amongst others, voted to uphold the referendum result and didn't. They lied on a massive issue, and didn't respect the will of their own voters. It's obvious why Boris has a massive 81 seat majority and Labour is vanishing. Time to accept the will of the people and they felt listened to, for once. Nobody cares about wall paper or words said in private. They wanted Brexit and are punishing Labour for not delivering / supporting their will. The antics in Parliament after a democratic vote, that they promised to uphold, will never be forgotten.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 9:06]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Local Elections 2021 on 09:00 - May 7 with 1687 viewskernow

Local Elections 2021 on 11:54 - May 6 by Bison

The Luftwaffe gave them a blank canvas and they fecked it up.

You should have a look at Plymouth' s concrete realism.
Local Elections 2021 on 09:05 - May 7 with 1671 viewsBison

Local Elections 2021 on 08:53 - May 7 by Sadoldgit

When you consider that 73 million Americans still voted for Trump after 4 years of being embarrassed by him worldwide nothing should surprise you.

Just goes to show how great the Great British public are , after being embarrassed by the Labour Party for the last 6 years since Jezzer started ruining the party they have decided enough is enough. You should be comparing Trump to Labour not to the Tories as they both lost due to crazy policies and of a lack of understanding of the people.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Local Elections 2021 on 09:12 - May 7 with 1662 viewssolent_toffee

I don’t think it’s a case of not trusting Starmer or Labour it’s not knowing what they stand for.

In the year 2021, the vast majority vote for themselves and the best deal they can get, without really spending too much time thinking about it. Boris Johnson and the Tories provide the simple bullet points “Get Brexit Done”, “Sort out COVID”, “Sort the vaccine” “Open up the pubs” “Go on holiday”.

They couldn’t care less if Johnson spend a grand on a roll of wallpaper as long as it doesn’t effect them.

No one knows what Labour and Starmer stand for and as it stands they offer the voter nothing.
Local Elections 2021 on 09:18 - May 7 with 1637 viewsSaintsforeverj

Local Elections 2021 on 09:12 - May 7 by solent_toffee

I don’t think it’s a case of not trusting Starmer or Labour it’s not knowing what they stand for.

In the year 2021, the vast majority vote for themselves and the best deal they can get, without really spending too much time thinking about it. Boris Johnson and the Tories provide the simple bullet points “Get Brexit Done”, “Sort out COVID”, “Sort the vaccine” “Open up the pubs” “Go on holiday”.

They couldn’t care less if Johnson spend a grand on a roll of wallpaper as long as it doesn’t effect them.

No one knows what Labour and Starmer stand for and as it stands they offer the voter nothing.

Nail on the head. You are right - a bit of wall paper, something said in a private meeting - nobody cares. People wanted Brexit and Boris delivered it, so they like him for listening. And as for Labour, putting up a remainer candidate in a leave area, they are still not listening to the will of the people. They will get punished time and time again, unless they start listening to what people want.

Local Elections 2021 on 09:33 - May 7 with 1613 viewsSaintsforeverj

Conservatives also taking huges swathes of the country in local council elections. Massive Tory rule across the country. The opposition need to ask themselves why they are being "punished" and why Boris is one of the most popular leaders in our history.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 9:37]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024