Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on the end of the season. 19:05 - May 23 with 1615 viewsA1079

This is just a personal opinion and feeling. I do not expect people to agree or anything it is just a point of view.

In all my years as a Saints fan I cannot think of one where I have just wanted it to end as much as this one.

You may ask, how come, because I saw our relegation to the Championship and League One. I went through the Branfoot era and I was bored silly watching Puel;s team.

So why does this season feel so much worse? Was it the false dawn in the autumn and the belief and hope that finally we were on to better things followed by the collapse?

I am not sure I can sum it up eloquently enough, but I think it is the feeling that I don't see much hope in this set of players or the manager. I so much wanted Ralph to do well, I so much willed the players to find deep in them that passion to fight for every point and performance and yet for all for a few fleeting moments it was not there.

I think I am a realistic supporter as I believe most Saints fans are and we really are not that demanding. Even in those heady days in the autumn I did not believe for a minute that we would win the league or even finish top 6 (in fact I joked at the time that we need to be careful we do not do a Bournemouth). You hope for a good cup run but you know that it often does not happen (but having got to a semi we put in a half hearted performance). But what has often defined my team and club is it's will power to battle against the odds. For the most part this season I have not seen it. Yes, we got some good results such as Liverpool at home and Arsenal in the cup but it is about the season and for much of this season the team and management has been found wanting.

As bad as we are in defence we are as poor at finishing up front. Everyone knows what to expect. We run around and look good for 45 minutes, fail to capitalise and then get beaten. The manager's team selections are often bewildering and his substitutions at times even more so. He seems indecisive and that is highlighted in his goalkeeping selection. Our much lauded academy has not produced anything of note for years now and almost seems like an urban myth - look at the results and performances of our younger teams - just as awful.

What is left? Do I believe that Ralph can change it in the summer and turn it around? I really am not so sure and though I have been reluctant to say he should go, the set of results, many inexcusable, the attitude of the players etc makes me question whether he is the right man for the job. If he stays I will root for him to make a go of it and prove me wrong but right now, I won't have a problem if he goes. The problem is, can a new person do any different with the people we have at the helm because if you don't get rid of the cause then you cannot find a lasting solution.

I do often wonder how much is it down to players and how much manager. Did Ings and Bertrand failure to commit in the new year have an unsettling effect in the changing room? Why does Redmond keep getting picked when he has been with us 5 and a half years and he has fundamentally not improved? why do our players seem to have a lack of mental and physical grit when things get tough? Once we go behind you know it is unlikely that we will come back. Why is it they can seem to hit the opposing goalkeeper, post or bar but ratio of goals to chances are appalling? what is it that is missing in our coaching and training that we seem unable to do the basics.? Are the players simply not good enough or are they poorly led?

Loads of questions and I know Nick will say it is easy to rant and not offer alternatives but some of us know where the problems lye and it starts at the top.

For me, not going to games has been quite painful and I do wonder whether I would feel so down on the team if I had been able to attend as usual. The problem with watching from home is that you see every single fault and error which in a stadium you would never see. There have been things I have hated about football this year - the standard and biased officiating, the awful interpretation of VAR (not just Saints but widely), the rolling and screeching of supposedly fouled players, the increased attempts to get people sent off which are then reversed with no punishment to the cheats. It has been difficult to continue to love the game that I have loved and enjoyed for years but may be I would not have noticed so much had Saints just shown that something when it mattered and I had not been watching it at home.

Onto next season.............

My take on the end of the season. on 23:41 - May 23 with 1424 viewsRon11

Just one observation.
It all started to go downhill when Rohl left the club.
Ralph has mostly struggled since then, especially when key players have been out injured - he does not have the nous or the tactical know how to cope with that situation.
Panic substitutions do not work.
My take on the end of the season. on 00:02 - May 24 with 1420 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Hassenhuttl needs to go. Full season, all his choices, not good enough.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

My take on the end of the season. on 01:58 - May 24 with 1366 viewsRipleys_revenge

Fantastic summary, I have very similar feelings about the season as a whole.

If I have my most optimistic rose coloured specs on I would say that losing 3-0 like that is the most fitting way to close out this pathetic and drawn out season. The results against Palace and Fulham could easily have papered over some gaping cracks but after that game there really can be no opportunity to do so. Appalling collapse....AGAIN.

Ralph's post match comments about 'reality check' and competing with relegation teams again next season are there for all to see.
My take on the end of the season. on 08:34 - May 24 with 1180 viewsSadoldgit

Definitely a season of two halves. Excellent first half and very poor second half. If we had had the money to bolster the squad in January it could have been very different. For those who think that Ralph is the problem, do you really think that any other manager could do better with this squad? He worked miracles last year but clearly you can only make that last for so long. Ralph is not the problem. The lack of investment in the quality of the squad is the problem and has been for some time.
My take on the end of the season. on 08:55 - May 24 with 1155 viewsMytchettSaint

My take on the end of the season. on 08:34 - May 24 by Sadoldgit

Definitely a season of two halves. Excellent first half and very poor second half. If we had had the money to bolster the squad in January it could have been very different. For those who think that Ralph is the problem, do you really think that any other manager could do better with this squad? He worked miracles last year but clearly you can only make that last for so long. Ralph is not the problem. The lack of investment in the quality of the squad is the problem and has been for some time.

A fair assessment. The injuries and run of games in February really did for us. I had hoped when we had players back to fitness we’d see an improvement in form but we never hit the heights of pre Christmas.
You say Ralph isn’t the problem, to a certain extent I can’t see any other manager getting what he did out of the team before the Liverpool game. If Ralph comes out and says the last few months with safety assured he’s been experimenting with formations and seeing who is going to be here next season and who needs moving on then fair enough. If this hasn’t been the case I’m very concerned over his tactical nous and ability to motivate the players now. The terrible run of decisions, injuries and luck affected form but he ultimately is in charge of player selection, substitutions, formations etc... some of those have clearly been found wanting and bewildering at times in the last couple of months.
Do we stick or twist is the big question.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

My take on the end of the season. on 09:12 - May 24 with 1134 viewsSt_Guido

You nailed it 100% 👍👏

Poll: What would you choose as our Football Club's official name?

My take on the end of the season. on 09:57 - May 24 with 1087 viewsSadoldgit

My take on the end of the season. on 08:55 - May 24 by MytchettSaint

A fair assessment. The injuries and run of games in February really did for us. I had hoped when we had players back to fitness we’d see an improvement in form but we never hit the heights of pre Christmas.
You say Ralph isn’t the problem, to a certain extent I can’t see any other manager getting what he did out of the team before the Liverpool game. If Ralph comes out and says the last few months with safety assured he’s been experimenting with formations and seeing who is going to be here next season and who needs moving on then fair enough. If this hasn’t been the case I’m very concerned over his tactical nous and ability to motivate the players now. The terrible run of decisions, injuries and luck affected form but he ultimately is in charge of player selection, substitutions, formations etc... some of those have clearly been found wanting and bewildering at times in the last couple of months.
Do we stick or twist is the big question.

I have wondered about some of his decisions too, but there is always a logic about them when you listen to him afterwards even if they didn’t work. How often do substitutions swing games? They worked a treat for us against the other week when Tella and Walcott both scored but he often says that he brings on fresh legs but they fail to give the team a lift. I do wonder if his tactics are beyond the ability of many of the squad to execute constantly. Having stuck with him so far I would be amazed if he was sacked now. I don’t think it is unreasonable to back him as much as they can this summer and review the situation again at Christmas. I still think we will struggle to find a replacement of Ralphs quality who is prepared to work with one hand tied behind his back, in effect.
My take on the end of the season. on 10:23 - May 24 with 1064 viewsKennington

I reckon the club has in many ways never been in worse shape than it is now. Even when the buckets were getting passed around (think it was Charlton at home) there was an honesty about we are where we are and we’ll get out of it. Right now we are simply a club drifting with a really poor first team and an awful squad. There are a few question marks over RH, but I’m not sure he’s the biggest issue. The biggest problem is our anonymous owner Gao who is truly abysmal. I don’t care if he or his government have had a change of heart about football, he still owns us. He should do the right thing and cut his losses and sell to someone decent. Same goes for Kat who I think still owns 20% or so. I can’t believe the easy ride they get amongst the fans, local and national media. Perhaps it’s just apathy?

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Login to get fewer ads

My take on the end of the season. on 11:32 - May 24 with 1002 views1885_SFC

My take on the end of the season. on 10:23 - May 24 by Kennington

I reckon the club has in many ways never been in worse shape than it is now. Even when the buckets were getting passed around (think it was Charlton at home) there was an honesty about we are where we are and we’ll get out of it. Right now we are simply a club drifting with a really poor first team and an awful squad. There are a few question marks over RH, but I’m not sure he’s the biggest issue. The biggest problem is our anonymous owner Gao who is truly abysmal. I don’t care if he or his government have had a change of heart about football, he still owns us. He should do the right thing and cut his losses and sell to someone decent. Same goes for Kat who I think still owns 20% or so. I can’t believe the easy ride they get amongst the fans, local and national media. Perhaps it’s just apathy?

I think the owner/s are taking the piss somewhat and using Covid as a smokescreen. Next season we will find out when life returns to somewhere near normal.

We are drifting along like a rudderless ship and someone better come up with a good plan pretty soon. We were very fortunate this season for two main reasons. 1 - luckily there were, somehow, a few worse teams than us in the league, and 2 - thank fook we had a good first few months to the season which ultimately saved our bacon.

Ultimately though, we cannot do fook all until we get rid of our expensive flops & all those players in the squad that just simply aren't good enough... of which there are several.

Old School is Cool

My take on the end of the season. on 13:27 - May 24 with 938 viewsBuenosSaint

Some fair comments on here and not much to add.

In hindsight, I originally thought it was nice to see RH wear his heart on his sleeve after the Liverpool game. But on reflection I wonder now if some others called it
right at the time and his emotional "collapse" was ultimately harmful in the long run.

Otherwise, pretty much agree with OP and subsequent comments on this thread.

Me, personally as for next season , will stand by what I said after the cup semi. Am not going to get to attached to SFC for at least one season. Vow not to get overly excited with positive results even if we reach another cup semi or even head into top 6 again. Equally will not get overly stressed with the opposite, even if we are relegated. Good luck to them anyway. Always wish the club of my birthplace well.

Poll: The Long Future

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024