Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Signing For Rochdale ? 09:18 - Jun 14 with 8831 viewsLeeBrookfield

Lots of clubs getting business done early. I suspect that as the club has furloughed a lot of staff, possibly players too. The club may not be looking to sign players until as late as possible to keep the wage bill down for as long as possible.
As Rochdale fans we are probably well aware we always have late and last pickings.
So realistically who would you like us to sign?

My first realistic suggestion would be Paddy Madden [31 CF] from Stockport County.
Massive experience, goal scoring record, we need 3 strikers for the season as last year showed us, he would want league football, could sign a 2 year deal, financially possible if SCFC in non league can afford him, a nightmare against us and Irish for BBM. Thoughts ?

So who do you think we should sign realistically?
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:12 - Jun 14 with 6503 viewsseasidedale

Don’t think we could afford his wages, read that he is on big money
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:14 - Jun 14 with 6482 viewsDalenet

We don't pay for new players until they have left their old clubs on 1st July so not a cost issue this month. We are playing friendlies in mid July so we need to move on players before the end of this month. I understand that we ,may not get first choice targets, but we can't wait for scraps for every position. All depends on which out of contract players have decided to stay
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:16 - Jun 14 with 6495 viewsChaffRAFC

I strongly suspect Stockport have a significantly bigger budget than we do.

He'd played 36 games before joining Stockport last season and scored 9 goals. If Fleetwood wanted rid of him there would have been a whole host of league clubs interested in him so for him to drop down to Stockport County suggests that they're able to afford more than those other clubs.

In terms of realistic signings, we need a fair amount of players this season regardless of who re-signs for us. If O'Connell signs, we still need two centre backs, if he doesn't then three. I'd like to see Ryan Sweeney come in who was released by Mansfield. Also Irish.

I'd welcome Harrison McGahey back as well but appreciate he splits opinion.

Corey Whelan, recently released by Wigan seems like the type of player we may go for? Can play centre back or right back. Came through the ranks at Liverpool, went to America to play college football, then came back to Wigan. Also Irish.

Will be interesting to see if we can make use of the loan market and our relationship with Manchester City and Brighton. Would also like to see Osho back but suspect they will want him to either be part of the squad or go to a League One side.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:25 - Jun 14 with 6457 viewsAtThePeake

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:16 - Jun 14 by ChaffRAFC

He'd played 36 games before joining Stockport last season and scored 9 goals. If Fleetwood wanted rid of him there would have been a whole host of league clubs interested in him so for him to drop down to Stockport County suggests that they're able to afford more than those other clubs.

In terms of realistic signings, we need a fair amount of players this season regardless of who re-signs for us. If O'Connell signs, we still need two centre backs, if he doesn't then three. I'd like to see Ryan Sweeney come in who was released by Mansfield. Also Irish.

Corey Whelan, recently released by Wigan seems like the type of player we may go for? Can play centre back or right back. Came through the ranks at Liverpool, went to America to play college football, then came back to Wigan. Also Irish.

Will be interesting to see if we can make use of the loan market and our relationship with Manchester City and Brighton. Would also like to see Osho back but suspect they will want him to either be part of the squad or go to a League One side.

By all accounts they paid a six-figure fee for him too, so can't see them wanting to let him go this summer.

Tangled up in blue.

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:34 - Jun 14 with 6431 viewsDaleiLama

You'd like to think that North Yard Analytics, with nearly 15% of shares currently in circulation, would come up with a realistic menu of targets to aim for by position?

It is in their company's best interest, Dan and Emre's personal best interest as shareholders and the club's best interest to progress back to L1.

The recruitment last year on a shoestring budget unearthed a few prospects and we have still to see who will resign. If more cash can be freed up by reducing the bloated, non-playing staff wage bill to a necessary minimum, we ought to have a fighting chance of putting a decent L2 squad together capable of challenging for promotion. We need leaders in decision making positions all singing from the same hymn sheet first though.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 10:35]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

First Signing For Rochdale ? (n/t) on 10:35 - Jun 14 with 6423 viewsseasidedale

[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 10:41]
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 11:16 - Jun 14 with 6296 viewsDaleiLama

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:16 - Jun 14 by ChaffRAFC

Osho looks unlikely but I'd love to see him back too.

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 11:22 - Jun 14 with 6273 viewsSuddenLad

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 11:16 - Jun 14 by DaleiLama

Osho looks unlikely but I'd love to see him back too.

Perhaps if the player himself has a say in what happens, he might opt to return. I'd like to think we could sign him permanently, but I doubt that will happen, even though he appears to be surplus to requirements.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 11:25 - Jun 14 with 6272 viewsIOMDale

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 11:22 - Jun 14 by SuddenLad

Perhaps if the player himself has a say in what happens, he might opt to return. I'd like to think we could sign him permanently, but I doubt that will happen, even though he appears to be surplus to requirements.

That post from O'Rourke is a bit disingenuous as Luton only just exercised the extra year on Osho's contract this summer. Granted, his playing time with Luton might be restricted in the short-term but his future is hardly 'in doubt'.

UTDNFS

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 11:27 - Jun 14 with 6261 viewsjonahwhereru

Is the club in the position to authorise signings, in all honest? The CEO shouldn’t (I realise with DB anything may be possible) be in a position to give the nod on signing contracts. Fortunately we do have Tony Pockney who has finance responsibilities, but what we don’t have is a functioning board.
Having said all that I don’t know who has had the final say in the last couple of years.
As for signings the focus has to be on the defence, that hasn’t changed since last season. Ideally a Paul McShane type that has seen championship football but is nearing the veteran stage. Must be several of those types out there.
Whatever, we need a robust side, with size this season, this is the brawn over brain division we are dealing with this year. BBM take note!
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 12:57 - Jun 14 with 6041 viewsMass_Debater

You said realistic.
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 19:53 - Jun 14 with 5516 viewsLeeBrookfield

Going off the released thread and working on players who are free. These are players I think could improve us without breaking the bank.
All players this year will have to be more realistic about the money they are after, but we have to get our arse in gear or miss out on players that would see us push for a play off spot.

GK = Mark Howard [Scunthorpe]
RB = Jordan Clarke [Scunthorpe]
CB = Omar Sowunmi [Colchester]
LB = Zeki Fryers [Swindon]
RM = Jordan Maguire-Drew [Leyton Orient]
LM = Abo Eisa [Scunthorpe]
CF = Lee Novak [Bradford]
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 22:41 - Jun 14 with 5237 viewsjokerthief

https://www.bcfc.com/birmingham-city-u23/players/joe-redmond/
Good young Irish centre half released by Birmingham city.
Like to give Mendez Laing, a chance as well.
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 06:45 - Jun 15 with 5025 viewsseasidedale

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:34 - Jun 14 by DaleiLama

You'd like to think that North Yard Analytics, with nearly 15% of shares currently in circulation, would come up with a realistic menu of targets to aim for by position?

It is in their company's best interest, Dan and Emre's personal best interest as shareholders and the club's best interest to progress back to L1.

The recruitment last year on a shoestring budget unearthed a few prospects and we have still to see who will resign. If more cash can be freed up by reducing the bloated, non-playing staff wage bill to a necessary minimum, we ought to have a fighting chance of putting a decent L2 squad together capable of challenging for promotion. We need leaders in decision making positions all singing from the same hymn sheet first though.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 10:35]

N Y Analytics do give us info, apparently many of last seasons signing came from thrier recommendation list
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 08:00 - Jun 15 with 4953 viewspioneer

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 06:45 - Jun 15 by seasidedale

N Y Analytics do give us info, apparently many of last seasons signing came from thrier recommendation list

And a lot of good that did us!
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 08:12 - Jun 15 with 4933 viewsDaleiLama

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 08:00 - Jun 15 by pioneer

A bad workman blames his tools

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:21 - Jun 15 with 4748 viewsRAFCBLUE

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 08:00 - Jun 15 by pioneer

Two players who have gone to the Euros (Sanchez and Norrington Davies) have been at Dale in the recent past. Would be good to know how they had been identified.

If you’ve seen the Roberto Martinez documentary on the amount of analytics in it shows what a huge part of the game it is.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 11:07 - Jun 15 with 4655 viewspioneer

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 10:21 - Jun 15 by RAFCBLUE

Two players who have gone to the Euros (Sanchez and Norrington Davies) have been at Dale in the recent past. Would be good to know how they had been identified.

If you’ve seen the Roberto Martinez documentary on the amount of analytics in it shows what a huge part of the game it is.

I think the point is there are probably as manyteams in the bottom half of the league using analytics as there are in the top half. Analytics are useless if you dont have the right personnel using them.
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 11:40 - Jun 15 with 4588 viewsRAFCBLUE

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 11:07 - Jun 15 by pioneer

I think the point is there are probably as manyteams in the bottom half of the league using analytics as there are in the top half. Analytics are useless if you dont have the right personnel using them.

Completely agree.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 12:43 - Jun 15 with 4462 viewsTomRAFC

We do have some good players, although this will reduce somewhat if players don't sign new contracts/teams higher up the chain come in for Rathbone/Humphrys etc.

At the moment we have a lack of pace and brutality across the pitch. Most successful teams have at ;east one player with blistering pace and one player who is absolutely terrifying.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 12:52 - Jun 15 with 4428 viewsseasidedale

Big Jim terrifies me every time he plays
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 12:58 - Jun 15 with 4411 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Tony Collins never needed a computer to unearth talent. Computers can't include temperament and attitude to a host of things. I'd much rather rely on a decent scout to recommend players.
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 13:41 - Jun 15 with 4287 viewsHK_Dale

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 12:58 - Jun 15 by RooleyMoorBlue

Tony Collins never needed a computer to unearth talent. Computers can't include temperament and attitude to a host of things. I'd much rather rely on a decent scout to recommend players.

It's not, or rather shouldn't be a mutually exclusive approach. You should use the analytics and data to screen for talent and generate the right signals on which players have potential. This can then be combined with a view on temperament, attitude, and other qualitative factors before making a decision on signing a player.
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 16:25 - Jun 15 with 4045 viewsBeechball

Yes - the analytics are a potentially useful tool but they can't be at every game in the country and the players must have enough game time to produce a meaningful result. They also can't account for a player not being deployed correctly. For these reasons I can't see how Analytics would have recommended Gary Jones, Craig Dawson, Alan Reeves or Ricky Lambert
First Signing For Rochdale ? on 16:56 - Jun 15 with 3959 viewsAtThePeake

First Signing For Rochdale ? on 12:58 - Jun 15 by RooleyMoorBlue

Tony Collins was manager of Rochdale 60 years ago. Pointless comparison. The game has changed.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024