Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Olympics... 11:33 - Jul 22 with 1436 viewsSonicBoom

Maybe I'll get into it once it starts but at the moment I couldn't give a rats ass.
Having it in Tokyo seems like a huge mistake in the current situation. I don't even think there are any spectators are allowed are there?
Personally I think it should have been cancelled several months ago.
The Olympics... on 11:56 - Jul 22 with 1409 viewsBazza

You missed gb women winning on tv yesterday. I agree there’s a big COVID risk but people will get into it when more events start.
The Olympics... on 12:54 - Jul 22 with 1370 viewsPatfromPoole

The Olympics... on 11:56 - Jul 22 by Bazza

You missed gb women winning on tv yesterday. I agree there’s a big COVID risk but people will get into it when more events start.

Watched some of that yesterday morning, and thought our team looked decent.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

The Olympics... on 09:58 - Jul 28 with 1238 viewsSadoldgit

Started to get into it now. It lost lots of its appeal for me when it let professional sportsmen and women compete but there are still plenty of heartwarming stories about “ordinary” people making huge sacrifices to make it more compelling. Funny how many sports that no one gives a stuff about for 4 years suddenly become major talking points! Mind you, skateboarding? Really?
The Olympics... on 10:03 - Jul 28 with 1230 viewsSonicBoom

Is skateboarding any less skillful than say target shooting ? Id say it is. Mind you I watched it other day and the gold was fought out between two 13 year olds !
The Olympics... on 10:23 - Jul 28 with 1215 viewsSadoldgit

The Olympics... on 10:03 - Jul 28 by SonicBoom

Is skateboarding any less skillful than say target shooting ? Id say it is. Mind you I watched it other day and the gold was fought out between two 13 year olds !

I don’t doubt that it involves a level of skill, but so does flicking beer mats from the edge of a table in the pub. Did the ancient Greeks have skateboards? 🤔
The Olympics... on 01:06 - Jul 31 with 1091 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Have to say the Olympics has been outstanding. I've enjoyed it far more this time, even the skateboarding was brilliant to watch.

Just watched the mixed triathlon ... bloody hell that was good. Now THAT is a team sport, brilliant.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

The Olympics... on 06:56 - Jul 31 with 1039 viewsJaySaint

The Olympics... on 01:06 - Jul 31 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Have to say the Olympics has been outstanding. I've enjoyed it far more this time, even the skateboarding was brilliant to watch.

Just watched the mixed triathlon ... bloody hell that was good. Now THAT is a team sport, brilliant.

I quite liked the BMX'ing. Also, we seem to be doing better in the pool than I can remember, but poor in the rowing.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

The Olympics... on 08:25 - Jul 31 with 1021 viewscocklebreath

The BMX racing was great to watch

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Login to get fewer ads

The Olympics... on 08:50 - Jul 31 with 1005 viewsgrumpy

The Olympic coverage by BBC has been brilliant.
The Human struggles involved with the effort of trying to win a medal has been covered so brilliantly.
The family's support and the trainers dedication is incredible.
The Lottery Funding has made an significant difference but the seed of success has always been there.
Hats off to the commentators their enthusiasm has been brilliant too.
Well done BBC.
The Olympics... on 09:23 - Jul 31 with 967 viewsSadoldgit

The Olympics... on 08:50 - Jul 31 by grumpy

The Olympic coverage by BBC has been brilliant.
The Human struggles involved with the effort of trying to win a medal has been covered so brilliantly.
The family's support and the trainers dedication is incredible.
The Lottery Funding has made an significant difference but the seed of success has always been there.
Hats off to the commentators their enthusiasm has been brilliant too.
Well done BBC.

100% this. We have just acquired a puppy so I have had many early mornings this week and thankfully have been glued to the coverage. I’m sure it has been strange for the competitors but I haven’t missed the crowds at all (probably used to it after the crowd less football) and the coverage has been first class. It makes a change to see people competing for the love of it and the sportsmanship has been brilliant. The presentation and punditry has been 1st class. I did wonder why they were going ahead at first but it has been amazing to watch.
The Olympics... on 16:18 - Jul 31 with 929 viewsSaintsforeverj

The triathlon was fantastic. A great gold medal for Great Britain.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

The Olympics... on 16:54 - Jul 31 with 916 viewsdirk_doone

The Olympics... on 16:18 - Jul 31 by Saintsforeverj

The triathlon was fantastic. A great gold medal for Great Britain.

Yes, I agree. That has been the highlight of the events I've watched so far. After watching Great Britain finish 4th six times in the rowing finals, I had given up staying up to watch it but I'm glad I stayed up for that triathlon relay.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2021 16:57]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The Olympics... on 22:15 - Aug 8 with 763 viewsSadoldgit

Well, another Olympics comes to an end and despite everything it was a fantastic games. It was a shame that there were no crowds yet the competition didn’t suffer and it still provided riveting viewing. Roll on Paris.
The Olympics... on 22:40 - Aug 8 with 743 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The Olympics... on 22:15 - Aug 8 by Sadoldgit

Well, another Olympics comes to an end and despite everything it was a fantastic games. It was a shame that there were no crowds yet the competition didn’t suffer and it still provided riveting viewing. Roll on Paris.

Bloody loved it. We watch a lot of Diamond League during the season and whilst the GB Athletics team wasn't amazing, Team GB as a whole were outstanding. I loved watching the Triathlon, Skateboarding, Taekwondo, Swimming, Cycling (as always) - I'll miss it.

We're planning on getting over to Paris for 2024 and the Commonwealth Games next year as they're in Birmingham.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

The Olympics... on 23:02 - Aug 8 with 728 viewsSaintsforeverj

The Olympics... on 22:40 - Aug 8 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Bloody loved it. We watch a lot of Diamond League during the season and whilst the GB Athletics team wasn't amazing, Team GB as a whole were outstanding. I loved watching the Triathlon, Skateboarding, Taekwondo, Swimming, Cycling (as always) - I'll miss it.

We're planning on getting over to Paris for 2024 and the Commonwealth Games next year as they're in Birmingham.

It has been great to watch. Even loved the skateboarding! The diving was good too when Daley won gold. Paris will be a great place to stay and watch some of the Olympics. Although we have had to put up with many less desirable places chosen for big events recently, Paris is a great choice of city for an Olympics:easy to get to from the UK and full of restaurants etc! We are looking into booking it as soon as we can.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 23:09]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

The Olympics... on 00:04 - Aug 9 with 691 viewscocklebreath

It was brilliant, sports a beautiful thing.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

The Olympics... on 12:05 - Aug 9 with 618 viewsPaleRider

I wasn't looking forward to the Olympics like I normally do, but they were fantastic! The joy of sport was a great antidote to the corruption that is the Premier League (and football in general).

Some of the "new" sports are amazing to watch -so refreshing and exciting. I wonder if there needs to be a major re-balancing of the sports included towards those that are very inclusive and relatively inexpensive and away from "elitist" sports and those which already have huge platforms.

My main downer was the BBC coverage - some was excellent but I'm afraid the Clare Balding/Alex Scott double act was amateur in the extreme - just no charisma and no spark between them. Clare Balding on her own was good but Alex Scott is terrible as a presenter for a multi-sports event.

I also got fed up with the focus on Simone Biles and Tom Daley. I would rather the focus was on the less well know athletes who also have interesting back stories but manage to compete away from the limelight.

I don't think that the ROC team should be considered a team. Their athletes could have been in a team with the refugees and just competed as individuals.

There is an interesting article on funding in the BBC today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58112331
The Olympics... on 12:32 - Aug 9 with 604 viewsKennington

The Olympics... on 12:05 - Aug 9 by PaleRider

I wasn't looking forward to the Olympics like I normally do, but they were fantastic! The joy of sport was a great antidote to the corruption that is the Premier League (and football in general).

Some of the "new" sports are amazing to watch -so refreshing and exciting. I wonder if there needs to be a major re-balancing of the sports included towards those that are very inclusive and relatively inexpensive and away from "elitist" sports and those which already have huge platforms.

My main downer was the BBC coverage - some was excellent but I'm afraid the Clare Balding/Alex Scott double act was amateur in the extreme - just no charisma and no spark between them. Clare Balding on her own was good but Alex Scott is terrible as a presenter for a multi-sports event.

I also got fed up with the focus on Simone Biles and Tom Daley. I would rather the focus was on the less well know athletes who also have interesting back stories but manage to compete away from the limelight.

I don't think that the ROC team should be considered a team. Their athletes could have been in a team with the refugees and just competed as individuals.

There is an interesting article on funding in the BBC today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58112331

Don’t mind Claire Balding, she has an encyclopaedic knowledge of sport, and genuinely feel she doesn’t need the autocue. Agree it didn’t work with her and Alex Scott, The fella in the mornings Dan Walker, got right on my wick. He’s just so dull and sucks the life out of everything he presents. Even when he’s forced to do something zany, you know he doesn’t want to do it. The complete opposite to Lineker who’s just naturally good at presenting sport.

Can’t believe the Olympics sold the rights to Discovery, as that meant you couldn’t this time red button any sport you liked. Hopefully that won’t happen again.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

The Olympics... on 12:45 - Aug 9 with 598 viewsPaleRider

The Olympics... on 12:32 - Aug 9 by Kennington

Don’t mind Claire Balding, she has an encyclopaedic knowledge of sport, and genuinely feel she doesn’t need the autocue. Agree it didn’t work with her and Alex Scott, The fella in the mornings Dan Walker, got right on my wick. He’s just so dull and sucks the life out of everything he presents. Even when he’s forced to do something zany, you know he doesn’t want to do it. The complete opposite to Lineker who’s just naturally good at presenting sport.

Can’t believe the Olympics sold the rights to Discovery, as that meant you couldn’t this time red button any sport you liked. Hopefully that won’t happen again.

Agree about Dan Walker. I once heard him having "grilled" a politician and it reminded me of the Willie Whitelaw "savaged by a dead sheep" comment.

Also agree selling rights to Discovery was an absolute disgrace - it seems to me that this is counter to the principles of the Olympics.

I hadn't thought of going to Paris for the Olympics but that could be a great call!
The Olympics... on 12:51 - Aug 9 with 597 viewsBazza

Spot on Pale Rider and interesting to read the funding tables. I had no idea that there were these vast sums being spent though I enjoyed all the achievements
The Olympics... on 12:57 - Aug 9 with 589 viewsSalisburySaint

was surprised how much I enjoyed the games, some unbelievable performances in so many sports and great sportsmanship shown in so many events

All topped of by the superb Cycling of Jason Kenny at the end
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 15:02]
The Olympics... on 13:20 - Aug 9 with 576 viewsButty101

Me to! It crept up on me aand then suddenly i was hooked. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

The Olympics... on 13:22 - Aug 9 with 576 viewsSadoldgit

Alex Scott is easier on the eye than Claire though 😉
The Olympics... on 13:26 - Aug 9 with 573 viewsA1079

Pretty much agree with all you have said Palerider.

I found the Olympics (what I managed to see of it) a joy to watch and almost a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed much of what I saw and it did feel like their was genuine empathy amongst all the participants irrespective of where they came from or represented. Japan had a difficult time trying to host these games against a background of covid, delays and disgruntlement amongst their own public. From what I saw they did a professional job.

I agree with you, in effect what I think you are alluding to, is the BBC propensity to use everything to promote their own agenda and thus focus on people that help (either directly or indirectly) to push it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024