Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good Transfer Business Done So Far 21:11 - Aug 2 with 4729 viewsSaintNick

Four good signings including Theo Walcott for around £16 million, already recouped most of that by the sale of Lemina, Hoedt, Gunn & Jankewitz, players who played little or no part in the last two years.

More to the point we have probably cut the wage bill in these deals by half. more when you consider the amount saved by Bertrand's departure

We just need to perhaps get rid of one player for a decent fee, perhaps Vestergaard and then invest that wisely and we can look forward to the season with some optimism that we have improved the squad

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 21:14 - Aug 2 with 2663 viewsSaintsforeverj

We need more strength in depth. Same as last year, get a few injuries and we don't have the back up as it stands. The first team is reasonably good, when all available.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 21:17]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 21:17 - Aug 2 with 2646 viewsSaintNick

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 21:14 - Aug 2 by Saintsforeverj

We need more strength in depth. Same as last year, get a few injuries and we don't have the back up as it stands. The first team is reasonably good, when all available.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 21:17]

we are getting strength in depth, we have shipped out 4 players who weren' t featuring last season plus Bertrand and we have brought in 3 new players to replace 1 out, so we are two up.

As it stands we have Valery and Elyounoussi back so the squad is 4 up on the bulk of the second half of the season

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 21:31 - Aug 2 with 2617 viewsSaintsforeverj

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 21:17 - Aug 2 by SaintNick

we are getting strength in depth, we have shipped out 4 players who weren' t featuring last season plus Bertrand and we have brought in 3 new players to replace 1 out, so we are two up.

As it stands we have Valery and Elyounoussi back so the squad is 4 up on the bulk of the second half of the season

Valery isn't a good replacement right back for example. If Romeu gets injured and / or Diallo (like last year) we have nobody else in a defensive midfielder position. If our new left back doesnt settle or gets injured, you think we can just play Djenepo there? One recognised left back in the club and he is unproven. That's not strength in depth. Please explain how having one recognised unproven left back in the club is "getting strength in depth"?

More have left from our squad from last year than have come in. Walcott was here anyway, Elyanoussi replaces Minamino. I can't see how we have a bigger squad?
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-southampton/transfers/verein/180
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 21:40]

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 21:34 - Aug 2 with 2600 viewsButty101

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 21:17 - Aug 2 by SaintNick

Couldn’t disagree with you more Nick. At the moment we are weaker. We have brought in Walcott who wasn’t good enough to get on the pitch towards the end of the season. We have lost Bertrand and replaced him an unproven french chap that none of had heard of. And 2 youth players that will bulk up the u23 that know one had heard of.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 21:50 - Aug 2 with 2568 viewsgrumpy

I don't want to see Vestergaard go
Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:06 - Aug 2 with 2542 viewsPatfromPoole

We don’t yet know whether we have adequately replaced Bertrand; the French LB may be on a significantly lower wage but that will only reap benefits if he improves the defence.

We are still light through the spine of the team if we get injuries / suspensions.

CB, CM and striker.

We are exposed in all of these positions over a long season.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:08 - Aug 2 with 2540 views1teeminants

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 21:34 - Aug 2 by Butty101

Couldn’t disagree with you more Nick. At the moment we are weaker. We have brought in Walcott who wasn’t good enough to get on the pitch towards the end of the season. We have lost Bertrand and replaced him an unproven french chap that none of had heard of. And 2 youth players that will bulk up the u23 that know one had heard of.

That French left back you mention was voted as the best left back in France by the French public last season . Bertrand clearly was no longer interested. This new Chelsea signing Livramento was voted Chelsea acadamy player of the season ( Chelsea have an excellent acadamy ) and he will be used in the first team as back up to start with and can play either side at full back and in midfield. Ralph has said he will join the first team squad . .Ask Chelsea fans what they think about him , have a look at their forums it’s a good way of getting a feel for a player , they’re gutted to lose him.
Nathan Tella is on fire at the moment I can see him scoring a few which could be like a new signing We’ve only sold players that were not needed or had a bad attitude, not sure how we can be weaker?

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:14 - Aug 2 with 2529 viewsSaintsforeverj

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:08 - Aug 2 by 1teeminants

That French left back you mention was voted as the best left back in France by the French public last season . Bertrand clearly was no longer interested. This new Chelsea signing Livramento was voted Chelsea acadamy player of the season ( Chelsea have an excellent acadamy ) and he will be used in the first team as back up to start with and can play either side at full back and in midfield. Ralph has said he will join the first team squad . .Ask Chelsea fans what they think about him , have a look at their forums it’s a good way of getting a feel for a player , they’re gutted to lose him.
Nathan Tella is on fire at the moment I can see him scoring a few which could be like a new signing We’ve only sold players that were not needed or had a bad attitude, not sure how we can be weaker?

It's if we get injuries. Ralph said himself he needs more strength in depth. The new 18 year old player from Chelsea only plays on the right. We have one recognised left back, that may be a good player but so was Lemina a good player for Juventus. If the French left back can't play for whatever reason, all we have is Djenepo. We will get injuries and we don't have enough cover in some key positions.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 22:16]

Login to get fewer ads

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:48 - Aug 2 with 2451 views1teeminants

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:14 - Aug 2 by Saintsforeverj

It's if we get injuries. Ralph said himself he needs more strength in depth. The new 18 year old player from Chelsea only plays on the right. We have one recognised left back, that may be a good player but so was Lemina a good player for Juventus. If the French left back can't play for whatever reason, all we have is Djenepo. We will get injuries and we don't have enough cover in some key positions.

Ralph said a week back we will definitely get players in which is exactly what we’re doing, the market has been very slow for everyone . Ralph knows we’re short at left back and I believe he’ll sort it out but reports say this new guy can play either side of defence but prefers the right. There is still time to get more in .

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:52 - Aug 2 with 2443 viewsSaintNick

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:14 - Aug 2 by Saintsforeverj

Livramento can also play on the left if need be, no one has said we have completed our squad, just that it has a little more depth than last season already

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:55 - Aug 2 with 2439 viewsSaintsforeverj

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:52 - Aug 2 by SaintNick

Livramento can also play on the left if need be, no one has said we have completed our squad, just that it has a little more depth than last season already

But it doesn't have a little more depth. More have left than have come in.

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 23:37 - Aug 2 with 2404 viewspjt50

If Ralph says we need more depth then he must be right but, assuming we hang on to Verstergaard & Ings, I won't be too unhappy with the current squad. The progress of the likes of Salisu, Tella & Adams will make the squad stronger.

Last season's injury list was a bit of a fluke — in part caused by the unusual inter-season break. We're unlikely to see that again. Liverpool & Man City might be able to pack their benches with top internationals to cover every eventuality but we can't.

I'm impressed with our last 2 or 3 windows. It looks like our recruitment is getting back on track.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 23:41 - Aug 2 with 2403 viewsRon11

According to reports, Villa are about put in a bigger bid for Ward Prowse.
Maybe we'll see him taking a free kick against US right on the edge of the box...
Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 00:20 - Aug 3 with 2369 viewspjt50

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 23:41 - Aug 2 by Ron11

According to reports, Villa are about put in a bigger bid for Ward Prowse.
Maybe we'll see him taking a free kick against US right on the edge of the box...

This is starting to look on. Maybe the idea is to persevere with Armstrong as a No. 6 to make room for Livramento further forward. It sounds as though he's coming here to be involved & I can't see him displacing KWP anytime soon. I wonder if he can take free-kicks.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 05:30 - Aug 3 with 2284 viewsPatfromPoole

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 00:20 - Aug 3 by pjt50

This is starting to look on. Maybe the idea is to persevere with Armstrong as a No. 6 to make room for Livramento further forward. It sounds as though he's coming here to be involved & I can't see him displacing KWP anytime soon. I wonder if he can take free-kicks.

Would be madness.

Armstrong isn’t a defensive midfielder.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 05:48 - Aug 3 with 2278 views1teeminants

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 22:55 - Aug 2 by Saintsforeverj

But it doesn't have a little more depth. More have left than have come in.

Only players that weren’t needed. Don’t forget Will Smallbone will be back at some point and I think Caleb Watts who is in Australia’s Olympic squad will be used more too. I remember many people including myself praising Watts after his performances last season . I’m sure we’ll buy a couple more yet too, even if it’s right at the end of window..

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 07:35 - Aug 3 with 2214 viewssaint22

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 00:20 - Aug 3 by pjt50

This will be crazy if it happens
The only slightly reasonable way is if it 50m+ and we bring in two decent midfielders a la winks and loftus-cheek in his place
Let’s see if he plays against Levante that should tell us
Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 09:58 - Aug 3 with 2095 viewsSonicBoom

I think this new lad is a good signing but it strikes me that in the 80's and 90's we could buy players to go straight into the first team and improve us.
These days we are in a league where we simply cannot afford to buy a player that is low risk. We have to buy players like Livramento (who is a kid with zero PL experience), Perraud (a prospect from another league), or perhaps a more established player with a poor injury record or at the end of their career.

I'm not moaning, it is what it is but that is the reality of the PL. We are in a competition where we cannot buy the level of player that is low risk and will guarantee a level of performance.
Villa for example have the money to chase JWP. If they do get him he's straight in the team and you know what you are going to get. It's very low risk. That must be a nice position to be in as a club.
Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 11:46 - Aug 3 with 2011 viewssaints__fan__73

Good business says the official communications arm of SFC. You do surprise me.

The Trip Advisor review of Guido Castillo was still my all time favourite peak Illingsworth. £20m in transfer fees and another £15m in wages and he was lauded with a 'at least he did something' (I think it was a dummy in one of the half dozen games we got for the money).

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 12:17 - Aug 3 with 1986 viewsbarry_sanchez

Walcott is now gash and ineffectual and the other signings are gambles, that is all there is to it, hope, we're left with hope before a ball is kicked.
Lack of aspiration, like the City I suppose.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 12:50 - Aug 3 with 1944 viewssaintwizzler

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 12:17 - Aug 3 by barry_sanchez

Walcott is now gash and ineffectual and the other signings are gambles, that is all there is to it, hope, we're left with hope before a ball is kicked.
Lack of aspiration, like the City I suppose.

U ok hun?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 13:04 - Aug 3 with 1923 viewsDorsetIan

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 09:58 - Aug 3 by SonicBoom

I think this new lad is a good signing but it strikes me that in the 80's and 90's we could buy players to go straight into the first team and improve us.
These days we are in a league where we simply cannot afford to buy a player that is low risk. We have to buy players like Livramento (who is a kid with zero PL experience), Perraud (a prospect from another league), or perhaps a more established player with a poor injury record or at the end of their career.

I'm not moaning, it is what it is but that is the reality of the PL. We are in a competition where we cannot buy the level of player that is low risk and will guarantee a level of performance.
Villa for example have the money to chase JWP. If they do get him he's straight in the team and you know what you are going to get. It's very low risk. That must be a nice position to be in as a club.

Exactly this. Our financial constraints are such that we have to rely on gambles.

This is why Gao is not fit for purpose as a Premier League owner.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 13:04 - Aug 3 with 1922 views1ASIN12

I think the good business is the amount of "dead wood" we have got rid off and the money raised / saved on wages rather then who we have brought in.

We have replaced a well established premier left back with a highly left back.

Theo Walcott was here last season so does not really count on improving the team / squad either.

The other 2 signings are highly rated youth players with no premier league experience.

If we get and injury to a full back we will again have to rely on youth - though by all accounts they are better then the youth players we had.
Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 13:22 - Aug 3 with 1891 viewsSonicBoom

It also makes me think we've hung onto our ex-academy stars way too long. Some of them got to mid twenties are they are still here.
Hesketh was finally released by us, a premier league team, Pompey didn't take him and he's ended up at Eastleigh. A few years wasted money there then.
Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 13:36 - Aug 3 with 1874 viewsbarry_sanchez

Good Transfer Business Done So Far on 12:50 - Aug 3 by saintwizzler

U ok hun?

Nah feeling it, my vinyl sticker of love live laugh fell off the wall last night and I smashed my oversized coloured wine glass as well, kids are playing up and my staffie has run off down the road.................

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024