Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business 22:10 - Aug 7 with 5430 viewsMattFinish

Last season we started like an express train and faded badly. IMO that was due to lack of depth in the squad and when players couldn't be rotated and we picked up crucial injuries and suspensions it fell apart. Ralph identified the problem when he said he wanted 2 players for every position and by that he obviously meant that the back up would be of similar quality to the first choice.
So this transfer window has seen us sell, release or loan out 21 players including our first choice striker and right back and bring in 4 players, two of whom are 19 year olds. Diallo and Salisu are inexperienced youngsters and should be back ups but will probably be first choice.
We have two keepers who are probably the worse in the PL and the fact that Ralph doesn't fancy either says it all.
We're likely to lose Vestergaard which will leave Bednarek, Salisu and Stephens as our only CBs.
Valery and Livramento are our back up full backs. Lavrimento is a kid and we tried to get rid of Valery who is just not good enough.
JWP is likely to leave so we have Romeu and Armstrong as the only experienced midfielders unless you count Redmond who goes off the boil for 70% of the season. Otherwise you have Diallo, Smallbone and Djnepo who has not lived up to his early few games for us.
I've counted Walcott and Tella as strikers to make it look like we've got some. Tella could well be our star this season but is young and inexperienced. Walcott is inconsistent and injury prone.
The out and out strikers are Adams, Long and Obafemi. I think we'll be lucky to get 12 goals out of them.
So how the hell is this good transfer business other than for Goa and Kat?
We will be most likely missing four of our best performers last season with inferior replacements and a vastly reduced squad which was too thin last season
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:57 - Aug 8 with 1208 viewsSadoldgit

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 16:36 - Aug 8 by Ron11

How many owners don't even turn up in the UK, never mind at the stadium?

Remember Covid and the lack of travel between countries? I’m not looking to defend Gao but this constant need to find fault doesn’t help anything. Depending on who he sells to, they will control our eventual future, so we had better hope that he finds a decent buyer.
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 20:18 - Aug 8 with 1129 viewsMattFinish

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 10:06 - Aug 8 by SaintNick

Is the transfer widow closed ?

No so why not wait till any business we do or don't do is concluded when the transfer window is shut.

Until then what is the point in ranting about something that may or not happen.

When the transfer window closes we can then discuss the points with clarity

I know the transfer window isn't closed for another 3 weeks but we are likely to lose JWP and Vestergaard in that period.
I think you'll agree that our squad was woefully inadequate last season. We've moved on 21 players so far and bought 4 in only one of which is a straight replacement for a first team player.
Ralph wanted two decent players for each position. Do you seriously believe we will achieve that in 3 weeks?
I think we'll possibly replace Ings, JWP and Vestergaard with inferior players and that will be it. Hardly strengthening the squad is it?
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 20:25 - Aug 8 with 1127 viewsMattFinish

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 10:24 - Aug 8 by SaintNick

As I said what is the point in moaning about something that has not yet happened and might not happen, as you said in a previous post, 3 big meltdown's in Saints history all turned out ok in the end.

Lots of the posts is see here and elsewhere are just rants and put out misinformation that gets passed around and soon is claimed as fact.

Saying that this transfer window will just be beneficial for Kat Liebherr and Gao is just plain untrue, neither have taken a penny out of the club and indeed if Kat hadn't come back and loaned the club money in 2014 then we could well have gone into financial difficulties again.

To accuse her would make Markus turn in his grave, yet people still do.

Neither has taken a penny out of the club and neither has put a penny in.

When you say neither has taken a penny out you forget that Kat Leibherr took £210m out when she sold her father's club to Gao and still retains 20%. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think she put a single penny of the £210m back into the club. As you said she loaned the club a sum but will recoup that with interest.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 20:29]
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 20:33 - Aug 8 with 1119 viewsSaintsforeverj

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 20:25 - Aug 8 by MattFinish

Neither has taken a penny out of the club and neither has put a penny in.

When you say neither has taken a penny out you forget that Kat Leibherr took £210m out when she sold her father's club to Gao and still retains 20%. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think she put a single penny of the £210m back into the club. As you said she loaned the club a sum but will recoup that with interest.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 20:29]

And the point is, this is a football club, that is there to bring enjoyment to the fans. Why would anyone buy a club unless it was to enjoy the achievements on the pitch? If you don't like football or don't care about the team's results and you have 210 million going spare, buy a supermarket chain or Thorpe Park or something! It's just unfair to buy something that so many people get enjoyment from, only to let it be run into the ground. It's the fans who care and suffer.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 20:35]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 22:23 - Aug 8 with 1078 viewsSadoldgit

How have we been run into the ground? We are currently a mid table club in the highest division in the country. Last season we were FA Cup semi finalists. If I were a fan of WBA, Fulham or Bournemouth I might think that I wish my club had been run into the ground like Southampton.
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:07 - Aug 8 with 1062 viewspjt50

And we're about to enter our 10th consecutive season in the PL. Only 8 clubs have done better - the big 6, Everton & Newcastle — all with much bigger stadia & fan bases than us. We must be doing something right.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:13 - Aug 8 with 1058 viewsPatfromPoole

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 20:18 - Aug 8 by MattFinish

I know the transfer window isn't closed for another 3 weeks but we are likely to lose JWP and Vestergaard in that period.
I think you'll agree that our squad was woefully inadequate last season. We've moved on 21 players so far and bought 4 in only one of which is a straight replacement for a first team player.
Ralph wanted two decent players for each position. Do you seriously believe we will achieve that in 3 weeks?
I think we'll possibly replace Ings, JWP and Vestergaard with inferior players and that will be it. Hardly strengthening the squad is it?

Adam Blackmore is pretty adamant that JWP will not be sold.

He is rarely wrong.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:24 - Aug 8 with 1048 viewspjt50

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 20:18 - Aug 8 by MattFinish

Two decent players for each position doesn't mean 22 players. We've got a number of players who can do an adequate job in more than one position. If we solve the striker problem & don't lose anybody else we won't be far away. If Vestergaard goes we'll need another CB, although Stephens has done OK in pre-season.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Login to get fewer ads

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 01:02 - Aug 9 with 1014 viewsDorsetIan

People have short memories. It was only January when the injuries started to kick in and we had to patch a team together from second string players, while packing the bench with academy players nobody had heard of.

And f*ck me, it was grim.

Since then we lost Betrand who’s been replaced by Perrault who looks good, Ings has gone and we’ve got Livramento who, on one appearance, looks very good. But the underlying problems that caused the wheel to fall off last season, are still there, still waiting to trip us up when injuries hit. And this year we may not have such a points buffer to fall back on.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 06:56 - Aug 9 with 957 views1teeminants

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:13 - Aug 8 by PatfromPoole

Adam Blackmore is pretty adamant that JWP will not be sold.

He is rarely wrong.

Correct. Ward prowse is going nowhere. Vestergaard probably but not Ward prowse. Adam Blackmore has stated this several times and as he’s not the sort of bloke who would stick his neck out and say that if he didn’t have the info.

Everybody needs to chill out, I’m pretty positive that we’ll get 2 or 3 in this week .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 07:01 - Aug 9 with 954 viewsBerber

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:38 - Aug 7 by MattFinish

The fact that it's been clear for half a season that Ings was not going to sign a new contract and has now gone and we haven't even identified a striker to replace him, let alone sign one shows that the owner has completely lost interest

Ultimately, it is Semmens and the scouting team responsible for trading and identifying new players. Don't blame RH or the owner. Isn't it Semmens full time job as chief exec that is responsible for making sure all the footballing and commercial functions work to best effect? Not having lots of cash isn't a reason not to have identified cover for likely transfers out. Maybe they have, and we just don't know who is really on the list. They are pretty tight about not leaking rumours.
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 07:20 - Aug 9 with 945 viewsbarry_sanchez

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:57 - Aug 8 by Sadoldgit

Remember Covid and the lack of travel between countries? I’m not looking to defend Gao but this constant need to find fault doesn’t help anything. Depending on who he sells to, they will control our eventual future, so we had better hope that he finds a decent buyer.

But no one wants to buy us, that is evident, either the price is too high to the assets aren't as valuable as the seller believes they are.

You can pick, either way its to the detriment of the club.
Gao has been an awful owner, silent, never here and he's has never ever set out his targets and goals to fans, that is unheard of, you cling onto "when the window ends" view but what gives that view any value when we already know what this charlatan is about, Liebherr should never have sold the club to him and that is all there is to it, we may have escaped SISU but I have a feeling Gao isn't going to be that much better, relegation could be a positive in that aspect as it means he'll offload and dump the club.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 07:23 - Aug 9 with 939 viewsbarry_sanchez

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:07 - Aug 8 by pjt50

And we're about to enter our 10th consecutive season in the PL. Only 8 clubs have done better - the big 6, Everton & Newcastle — all with much bigger stadia & fan bases than us. We must be doing something right.

Rising above the surf to begin with, treading water and now slowly sinking, fair assessment, our squads have been getting consistently worse as time goes by.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 07:35 - Aug 9 with 929 viewssaintwizzler

Gao bought the club as an investment. He will sell to and when he is ready.

Wether or not he knows the implications of relegation is another matter!

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 07:59 - Aug 9 with 906 viewsbarry_sanchez

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 07:35 - Aug 9 by saintwizzler

Gao bought the club as an investment. He will sell to and when he is ready.

Wether or not he knows the implications of relegation is another matter!

Relegation is a stick or twist moment, his previous tells me that he'll panic as he has to either pay the wages and hope we get promoted again or sell for a far lower price, you can't stay in this division on the cheap and simply hope for the best.

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 08:41 - Aug 9 with 862 viewsSadoldgit

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 07:20 - Aug 9 by barry_sanchez

But no one wants to buy us, that is evident, either the price is too high to the assets aren't as valuable as the seller believes they are.

You can pick, either way its to the detriment of the club.
Gao has been an awful owner, silent, never here and he's has never ever set out his targets and goals to fans, that is unheard of, you cling onto "when the window ends" view but what gives that view any value when we already know what this charlatan is about, Liebherr should never have sold the club to him and that is all there is to it, we may have escaped SISU but I have a feeling Gao isn't going to be that much better, relegation could be a positive in that aspect as it means he'll offload and dump the club.

I know you are obsessed with targets so it is odd that you have missed ours. Stay up and try and do well in the cups. How many other club’s owner come out and make mission statements every year? You don’t like Gao far enough. But instead of going on about it constantly in Internet forums where you are preaching to the converted, why not direct your displeasure at the club or do something that might change something?
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 09:17 - Aug 9 with 828 viewsMattFinish

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 01:02 - Aug 9 by DorsetIan

People have short memories. It was only January when the injuries started to kick in and we had to patch a team together from second string players, while packing the bench with academy players nobody had heard of.

And f*ck me, it was grim.

Since then we lost Betrand who’s been replaced by Perrault who looks good, Ings has gone and we’ve got Livramento who, on one appearance, looks very good. But the underlying problems that caused the wheel to fall off last season, are still there, still waiting to trip us up when injuries hit. And this year we may not have such a points buffer to fall back on.

That is exactly my point. If we manage to keep JWP and Vestergaard, which I don't think we will and if we replace a proven striker with a striker who's scored 20+ goals in the Championship or Scottish PL we are exactly in the same position squad strength wise as we were last season, f not worse off. And last season we struggled due to lack of depth. Che scored 20+ goals in the Championship but struggled in the PL so there's no guarantee of Adam Armstrong being a success in the PL.
Gao's transfer strategy of only spending what we generate is flawed because to move forward we have to guarantee to buy a better player than we've sold and that is impossible. The VVD money shows how impossible it is to improve by selling. Eventually its bound to catch up with you and I think that's happened. Our only chance is that Ralph will somehow get results out of this thin squad
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 09:18 - Aug 9 with 827 viewsbarry_sanchez

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 08:41 - Aug 9 by Sadoldgit

I know you are obsessed with targets so it is odd that you have missed ours. Stay up and try and do well in the cups. How many other club’s owner come out and make mission statements every year? You don’t like Gao far enough. But instead of going on about it constantly in Internet forums where you are preaching to the converted, why not direct your displeasure at the club or do something that might change something?

No I don't like Gao, not personally as I don't know him but as a representative and owner of our club its embarrassing, he is a chancer who got sold a wrong'un, Liebherr is chatting shite when she said about next level, at least she said something even though it was codshite.

The club is poisoned and if results don't come then it'll get an awful lot worse, you can only sell your best players and not replace them for so long, its run its course.

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 15:22 - Aug 9 with 745 viewsDorsetIan

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 09:17 - Aug 9 by MattFinish

That is exactly my point. If we manage to keep JWP and Vestergaard, which I don't think we will and if we replace a proven striker with a striker who's scored 20+ goals in the Championship or Scottish PL we are exactly in the same position squad strength wise as we were last season, f not worse off. And last season we struggled due to lack of depth. Che scored 20+ goals in the Championship but struggled in the PL so there's no guarantee of Adam Armstrong being a success in the PL.
Gao's transfer strategy of only spending what we generate is flawed because to move forward we have to guarantee to buy a better player than we've sold and that is impossible. The VVD money shows how impossible it is to improve by selling. Eventually its bound to catch up with you and I think that's happened. Our only chance is that Ralph will somehow get results out of this thin squad

And/or we hopefully have fewer injuries.

Last year there was a lot of talk about Ralph's high intensity style of play leading to too many injuries and also to the constant theme that we ran out of steam in the second half.

It will be interesting to see if he tries to manage the effort requirements a bit more this season, to avoid some of these issues. He's not known for his technical flexibility, mind.

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 15:40 - Aug 9 with 719 viewsSaintNick

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 09:18 - Aug 9 by barry_sanchez

No I don't like Gao, not personally as I don't know him but as a representative and owner of our club its embarrassing, he is a chancer who got sold a wrong'un, Liebherr is chatting shite when she said about next level, at least she said something even though it was codshite.

The club is poisoned and if results don't come then it'll get an awful lot worse, you can only sell your best players and not replace them for so long, its run its course.

Have you met Gao ? how do you know whether he was a chancer or not, or what he was sold.

There was a lot of due diligence involved between Gao being touted as the new owner and actually becoming it.

Why is he embarrassing, his only crime is not being able to put money in at present, he is not alone in that sense in the Premier League.

Gao spent £200 million in buying Saints and said exactly the same thing as Markus Liebherr did back in 2009, that he was going to run the club as a business.

So far he hasn't taken anything back out of it, although there have been plenty of chances to do so, not least right at this moment in time with Danny Ings being sold, but hey ho we are reinvesting a big chunk of it in Adam Armstrong, which makes all those who have been ranting over the past 5 days look a little silly now doesn't it.

Most of those slagging off Gao would be demanding their money back if someone they had leant £20 to was calling them all the names under the sun on social media.

You are right the club is poisoned, at every turn a section of the fan base starts putting out **** most of which is based on absolutely no evidence.

Southampton FC is what it is, we are one of a middle section of clubs in the Premier league, we have had 8 relatively good seasons since we returned to the Premier League and 1 poor one, we have come through a tough time and are still standing.

We are eating ourselves up in hatred, something has to change , assuming that it isnt a multi billionaire owner riding into town, then it has to be the fanbase, we have to be proud of the club, not seem to hate it with a vengeance.

I have seen some dodgy dealings at this club over the years, but at the moment we are running to our financial status.

Gao could have cashed in his chips and sold for £100 million, but then we would have seen a chancer, would you rather Burnley's new owners who bought the club for £200 million and then took out a loan against the stadium to pay themselves back, Burnley have of course been splashing the cash this transfer window, or maybe they havent.

I have no problem with people not liking Gao, what I have a problem with is the constant slagging off of hi without any evidence whatsoever.

So Gao is a chancer, explain to us all why you think he is

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 15:57 - Aug 9 with 708 viewsSaintsforeverj

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 15:40 - Aug 9 by SaintNick

Have you met Gao ? how do you know whether he was a chancer or not, or what he was sold.

There was a lot of due diligence involved between Gao being touted as the new owner and actually becoming it.

Why is he embarrassing, his only crime is not being able to put money in at present, he is not alone in that sense in the Premier League.

Gao spent £200 million in buying Saints and said exactly the same thing as Markus Liebherr did back in 2009, that he was going to run the club as a business.

So far he hasn't taken anything back out of it, although there have been plenty of chances to do so, not least right at this moment in time with Danny Ings being sold, but hey ho we are reinvesting a big chunk of it in Adam Armstrong, which makes all those who have been ranting over the past 5 days look a little silly now doesn't it.

Most of those slagging off Gao would be demanding their money back if someone they had leant £20 to was calling them all the names under the sun on social media.

You are right the club is poisoned, at every turn a section of the fan base starts putting out **** most of which is based on absolutely no evidence.

Southampton FC is what it is, we are one of a middle section of clubs in the Premier league, we have had 8 relatively good seasons since we returned to the Premier League and 1 poor one, we have come through a tough time and are still standing.

We are eating ourselves up in hatred, something has to change , assuming that it isnt a multi billionaire owner riding into town, then it has to be the fanbase, we have to be proud of the club, not seem to hate it with a vengeance.

I have seen some dodgy dealings at this club over the years, but at the moment we are running to our financial status.

Gao could have cashed in his chips and sold for £100 million, but then we would have seen a chancer, would you rather Burnley's new owners who bought the club for £200 million and then took out a loan against the stadium to pay themselves back, Burnley have of course been splashing the cash this transfer window, or maybe they havent.

I have no problem with people not liking Gao, what I have a problem with is the constant slagging off of hi without any evidence whatsoever.

Nick, I think you need to understand that we have a section of emotional fans, who really care (far from hate) and they can panic or have emotional responses. Isn't that why we love Ralph for example? Meltdown one week looking down, crying on the pitch in celebration the next. It's called really caring actually. We all want Saints to do well and compete, that's all. Saints fans have been through a lot of disappointments, hurt by players lying to the fans, a few close shaves from getting relegated. You hear in the press about not having any money etc. But, if we can get Armstrong in, and a few others it will settle the nerves and yes, we should be ok once again. You heard the panic in Ralph's words too on Saturday. Sometimes a bit of pressure from people to get things moving is not a bad thing. It's just Saints always do things at the last minute and it's not good for the nerves!

If Gao, just said a few words of honesty now and then, it would go a long way. The silence is unsettling. But let's get these players in and if we do, I agree let's get behind the team, forget about Ings and move forward.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 16:02]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 16:12 - Aug 9 with 693 viewsDorsetIan

Nick, the best you've got is what Gao hasn't done and that there are worse owners. In terms of his positive contribution to Southampton FC, I think you are struggling.

It's damning with pretty faint praise, if you ask me.

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 16:16 - Aug 9 with 689 viewsBerber

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 09:18 - Aug 9 by barry_sanchez

"The club is poisoned and if results don't come then it'll get an awful lot worse, you can only sell your best players and not replace them for so long, its run its course."

Actually, isn't that the Southampton model? Same as loads of clubs in Europe, following the pattern set by Udinese quite a long time ago. A few years ago, the club was blessed with a clutch of very good players, who raised the level (and PL position) but then, the cycle continued and they were sold. The unfortunate part was that the recruitment was off, and not enough quality players were being fed through, either from the academy or from acquisition, so now there isn't the same assurance of continuity. I don't see any change in approach to policy.

"The next level" is always the aspiration at every club, but not at any cost. Norwich, Newcastle, Fulham, probably West Ham and Palace too take this approach.
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 16:18 - Aug 9 with 687 viewssaints__fan__73

Well he was involved in bribing a state official in China and was found out and only avoided jail or worse by naming the state official he was bribing.

Said state official was then executed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3422978/premier-league-blocked-gao-jishe

Why would you not think he is a crooked chancer?
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 17:19]

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 17:31 - Aug 9 with 634 viewsDorsetIan

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 16:18 - Aug 9 by saints__fan__73

Well he was involved in bribing a state official in China and was found out and only avoided jail or worse by naming the state official he was bribing.

Said state official was then executed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3422978/premier-league-blocked-gao-jishe

Why would you not think he is a crooked chancer?
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 17:19]

And check out those few lines at the end of the article...

"Liebherr has said she will sell part of her stake only if the right investor can be found to take the Saints forward.

That does not mean injecting £500m or more.

It means providing enough money to fund the salaries and signings which would persuade Van Dijk, Ryan Bertrand and other stars to stay at St Mary’s rather than joining one of their Premier League rivals."

Straight from the horse's mouth.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024