Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gao Not taken a penny out of the club 09:07 - Aug 10 with 1111 viewsButty101

I see this posted a lot by people who think Gao isnt a bad owner and that we could have a worse owner - After all Gao has never taken a penny out of the club.

You have to ask yourself when the club hasnt got a pot to piss in, what money is he going to take? Transfer fees are mostly paid over the length of the contract, of the transferred player. So in Danny Ings case, after everyone has had their cut we have probably received about 6mill as a down payment. Is he really going to take 6mill out of the club when he bought us for 200mill. By not re-investing in the squad it will lead to certain relegation. His asset is then probably insolvent and he gets nothing back.

So again why would he take money out of the club?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 09:17 - Aug 10 with 1086 viewssaints__fan__73

We are well over a hundred million pounds in debt which we are financing by taking out more loans.

But funnily enough the people who posted repeated editorials about how they training ground refurb went £7m over budget are very quiet about discussing this....

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 09:24 - Aug 10 with 1071 viewsSaintNick

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 09:17 - Aug 10 by saints__fan__73

We are well over a hundred million pounds in debt which we are financing by taking out more loans.

But funnily enough the people who posted repeated editorials about how they training ground refurb went £7m over budget are very quiet about discussing this....

You really are tedious, the training ground went over budget because of a despot CEO who thought he owned the club and spent money that wasn't his to spend.

The debt we have run up at the moment, which is around £3 million a month is nowhere near £100 million yet, misinformation like this just serves to fuel the negativity that surrounds this club.

I have no problem with people taking me to task in what I say, but when stuff is just dragged out of nowhere and disguised as facts is just pathetic.

If you would like to show me where we are to quote "well over 100 million in debt" I will gladly apologise shall we set "well over £100 million" at £125 million as for instance £110 million would only be just over.

Most of the Premier League is having to finance losses through debt due to this worldwide pandemic, yet you seek to try and convince others that our situation is due to the owner not the situation.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 09:30 - Aug 10 with 1051 viewsSaintNick

I have asked myself what money has he to take, well firstly he could have taken the odd £10 million or so from the Danny Ings transfer, but taking it from transfers is simplistic.

The main option he could have taken is to do what the Glaziers did at Manchester united or Burnley's new owners did with indecent haste after they bought the club, he could have leveraged the club by effectively mortgaging it, and then pocketing the money.

But he hasn't done that so that is one thing we should be grateful for, so until he does that he might not be the dream owner who everyone seems to want, but he is doing us no wrong.

So yes we could have a worse owner, but he is just doing what a lot of clubs around us are doing running it as a business, despite the fact that apparently we are heading for certain relegation anyway, if he reads Saints social media he would probably feel he should get as much out of the club now and then let it die, only he hasn't.

As I say, he could easily have got his money back or a fair chunk of it by leveraging but he hasn't, so to answer your question that is how and why he could take money out of the club.

Saints or Burnley who would you feel have the best owners

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 09:57 - Aug 10 with 1006 viewssaints__fan__73

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 09:24 - Aug 10 by SaintNick

You really are tedious, the training ground went over budget because of a despot CEO who thought he owned the club and spent money that wasn't his to spend.

The debt we have run up at the moment, which is around £3 million a month is nowhere near £100 million yet, misinformation like this just serves to fuel the negativity that surrounds this club.

I have no problem with people taking me to task in what I say, but when stuff is just dragged out of nowhere and disguised as facts is just pathetic.

If you would like to show me where we are to quote "well over 100 million in debt" I will gladly apologise shall we set "well over £100 million" at £125 million as for instance £110 million would only be just over.

Most of the Premier League is having to finance losses through debt due to this worldwide pandemic, yet you seek to try and convince others that our situation is due to the owner not the situation.

Explain spending money that wasn't his to spend.

He wasn't going into Kat's handbag to spend her money he was spending money that was the club's on the re-furb of the training ground as was his right as CEO.

When the club buys a player is this Semmens 'spending money which isn't his'.

Are you saying that you honestly believe our finances are no worse than other PL clubs?

It's funny then how much of our transfer activity this Summer, even after selling our best player, has revolved around signing kids from another club's academy....

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 10:00 - Aug 10 with 1001 viewsKennington

Whether he’s taken money out or not I don’t know. Did he pay for his lunch when he made his one trip to SMS? It’s more his inaction and lack of any reported direction for the club that gets me. Saddling his asset with tens of millions in loans, doesn’t sound like a good owner to me. As always don’t forget Kat who still has 20% and she does f all as well.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 10:33 - Aug 10 with 962 viewsMattFinish

It is not unusual for building projects such as this to go over budget. There are often unforeseen issues that increase the cost. Look at Wembley stadium, White Hart Lane and HS2 and be thankful it was only £7m.

Whatever the final cost it was money well spent that wouldn't have happened under Gao. I find it ironic that you criticise Cortese for investing in our future and defend Gao for not doing.
Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 11:24 - Aug 10 with 913 viewsSaintNick

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 10:33 - Aug 10 by MattFinish

It is not unusual for building projects such as this to go over budget. There are often unforeseen issues that increase the cost. Look at Wembley stadium, White Hart Lane and HS2 and be thankful it was only £7m.

Whatever the final cost it was money well spent that wouldn't have happened under Gao. I find it ironic that you criticise Cortese for investing in our future and defend Gao for not doing.

Cortese didn't invest in our future, he spent money that he did not have the mandate to do, as mentioned the training ground went over budget, he engaged in costly legal cases with contractors and ex players, he bought the likes of Ramirez and Osvaldo who were eventually given away.

The training ground went over budget because our ex CEO kept changing his mind on what he wanted, it was all costs that could have been in the main avoided

When Cortese left by mutual consent it left Kathrina Liebherr having to loan the club money to bale it out.

If you think idle boasting and spending money that he didn't have was investing in our future you need to take a close look at what happened back then.

For me though his biggest crime was banning one of our club legends Matt Le Tissier and calling him a free loader.

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 11:43 - Aug 10 with 883 viewssaints__fan__73

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 11:24 - Aug 10 by SaintNick

Cortese didn't invest in our future, he spent money that he did not have the mandate to do, as mentioned the training ground went over budget, he engaged in costly legal cases with contractors and ex players, he bought the likes of Ramirez and Osvaldo who were eventually given away.

The training ground went over budget because our ex CEO kept changing his mind on what he wanted, it was all costs that could have been in the main avoided

When Cortese left by mutual consent it left Kathrina Liebherr having to loan the club money to bale it out.

If you think idle boasting and spending money that he didn't have was investing in our future you need to take a close look at what happened back then.

For me though his biggest crime was banning one of our club legends Matt Le Tissier and calling him a free loader.

Fat Kat loaned money to the club that she actually owned at a nice interest rate which she made sure she was repaid before selling 80% of the club her Father purchased with Cortese for £13m for a quarter of a billion!

What a great Philanthropist she is!!!

Login to get fewer ads

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 11:48 - Aug 10 with 872 viewsDorsetIan

Check out the accounts for St Mary's Football Group Limited to 30 June 2020. They are available on the Companies House website.

See page 38.

Creditors: Amounts falling due within one year. Total £108 million.

Creditors: Amounts falling due after more than one year. Total £106m (including a bank loan of £85m).

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:21 - Aug 10 with 849 viewsSaintNick

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 11:48 - Aug 10 by DorsetIan

Check out the accounts for St Mary's Football Group Limited to 30 June 2020. They are available on the Companies House website.

See page 38.

Creditors: Amounts falling due within one year. Total £108 million.

Creditors: Amounts falling due after more than one year. Total £106m (including a bank loan of £85m).

I havent got the time to check through these, but the accounts up to last year included the potential borrowing facility of £85 million that had not reached that level by June and also because of the extended season it meant that the June Payment from the Premier League money would not be included as it was being delayed until August.

Also we had debtors counterbalancing some of this.

Back in the 1990's when I was concerned about how the club was being run I did something about it being instrumental in setting up SISA and subsequently the Saints trust.

I am not aiming this at you personally, but if you think that the club is being run so badly then why don't you do something about it as i did nearly 30 years ago when i was young enough to do so.

The thing that gets my goat is that there are seemingly thousands willing to slag off Gao, the club and accuse it of a lack of ambition, but not a single person has the b*llocks to stand up and be counted.

The phrase is either put up or shut up.

As I say i aim this at no one in particular but I see little sign of anyone actually doing anything, probably because deep down they realise that there isn't much that can be changed

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:24 - Aug 10 with 845 viewssaints__fan__73

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:21 - Aug 10 by SaintNick

I havent got the time to check through these, but the accounts up to last year included the potential borrowing facility of £85 million that had not reached that level by June and also because of the extended season it meant that the June Payment from the Premier League money would not be included as it was being delayed until August.

Back in the 1990's when I was concerned about how the club was being run I did something about it being instrumental in setting up SISA and subsequently the Saints trust.

I am not aiming this at you personally, but if you think that the club is being run so badly then why don't you do something about it as i did nearly 30 years ago when i was young enough to do so.

The thing that gets my goat is that there are seemingly thousands willing to slag off Gao, the club and accuse it of a lack of ambition, but not a single person has the b*llocks to stand up and be counted.

As I say i aim this at no one in particular but I see little sign of anyone actually doing anything, probably because deep down they realise that there isn't much that can be changed

You seem to have a lot of time free to spend on here defending the owners though.... It's almost as if they are paying you....

Of course there is nothing that can be done. We are owned by an absentee owner from China who never even comes to the country much less the ground.

He'll be owner until he sells or bankrupts it. Probably the latter.

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:34 - Aug 10 with 835 viewsSaintNick

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:24 - Aug 10 by saints__fan__73

You seem to have a lot of time free to spend on here defending the owners though.... It's almost as if they are paying you....

Of course there is nothing that can be done. We are owned by an absentee owner from China who never even comes to the country much less the ground.

He'll be owner until he sells or bankrupts it. Probably the latter.

Erm have you heard of the global pandemic, hardly anyone travels these days due to restrictions.

You are right at the moment those are the only two options unless China suddenly decide they want to dominate World Sport again.

The evidence is that he will hang on till he can sell, he has made every effort to ensure that it runs as a business so it doesnt go bankrupt.,

So that is the evidence, so why do you never say "Gao might not be the ideal owner but at least he has shown no sign of taking money and bankrupting us" would you rather a Gaydamak situation at Pompey, a couple of year signing players all over the show and then pulling out of funding the club.

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:46 - Aug 10 with 829 viewssaints__fan__73

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:34 - Aug 10 by SaintNick

Erm have you heard of the global pandemic, hardly anyone travels these days due to restrictions.

You are right at the moment those are the only two options unless China suddenly decide they want to dominate World Sport again.

The evidence is that he will hang on till he can sell, he has made every effort to ensure that it runs as a business so it doesnt go bankrupt.,

So that is the evidence, so why do you never say "Gao might not be the ideal owner but at least he has shown no sign of taking money and bankrupting us" would you rather a Gaydamak situation at Pompey, a couple of year signing players all over the show and then pulling out of funding the club.

He never went to games for ages before covid Nick....

We are steadily declining.

There is no long term plan other than survival.

Sooner or later all the PL clubs that are run in this way go down. Just look at Watford, WBA, B'muff, etc.

It'll be our turn soon.

The difference with us is that when we go down our debts our such that admin will be fairly certain.

But at least that will mean the end of Kat and Gao.

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:49 - Aug 10 with 824 viewsMattFinish

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 11:24 - Aug 10 by SaintNick

Listen Nick I totally agree with your appraisal of Cortese and agree totally with your sentiments re Le God being banned.

I just don't understand your head-in-the-sand attitude of talking about Gao as if he's the second coming.

I don't personally know him as you said to another poster but that does not dissuade me from thinking that he is a complete chancer or something more sinister.

What's your opinion of why he bought the club?
Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 13:00 - Aug 10 with 805 viewsSaintNick

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:49 - Aug 10 by MattFinish

Listen Nick I totally agree with your appraisal of Cortese and agree totally with your sentiments re Le God being banned.

I just don't understand your head-in-the-sand attitude of talking about Gao as if he's the second coming.

I don't personally know him as you said to another poster but that does not dissuade me from thinking that he is a complete chancer or something more sinister.

What's your opinion of why he bought the club?

I dont think he is the second coming, far from it, but I realise that we are stuck with him and that it is a bit of a catch 22.

I havent said once this is the man to take the club forward, only that he has not done us any wrong and from that perspective has been a good owner.

Gao came because he was encouraged to by the Chinese Government and there were some interesting plans in the pipeline, these were ended a couple of years ago when China really fell out with Trump.

The ideal situation is that someone buys Gao out who is a good owner, the worst scenario is that someone like the people who bought Burnley take over and sidle us with debt, they for instance have no real financial worry about their investment if Burnley drop out of the Premier League as they have already had their money back.

Gao could have sold us for a cut price £130-150 million depending on what source you read, but he didn't which perhaps suggests that although he cant take the club forward, he is not going to sell to the first offer than comes along and its the chancers that try to get it on the cheap

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 13:05 - Aug 10 with 790 viewsPatfromPoole

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 13:00 - Aug 10 by SaintNick

I dont think he is the second coming, far from it, but I realise that we are stuck with him and that it is a bit of a catch 22.

I havent said once this is the man to take the club forward, only that he has not done us any wrong and from that perspective has been a good owner.

Gao came because he was encouraged to by the Chinese Government and there were some interesting plans in the pipeline, these were ended a couple of years ago when China really fell out with Trump.

The ideal situation is that someone buys Gao out who is a good owner, the worst scenario is that someone like the people who bought Burnley take over and sidle us with debt, they for instance have no real financial worry about their investment if Burnley drop out of the Premier League as they have already had their money back.

Gao could have sold us for a cut price £130-150 million depending on what source you read, but he didn't which perhaps suggests that although he cant take the club forward, he is not going to sell to the first offer than comes along and its the chancers that try to get it on the cheap

What have Burnley’s new owners done?

Genuine question. Haven’t been following their situation.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 13:22 - Aug 10 with 761 viewsDorsetIan

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:21 - Aug 10 by SaintNick

If you haven't got time to read the accounts, don't tell people they've got their facts wrong. The £85m is not a facility, it is shown in the accounts as an amount due at £85,066m. Actual debt not just numbers. Page 38, Note 19. The equivalent figure in the 2019 accounts was £5,917m.

And it's not about 'doing something about it'. I've bought 5 season tickets. I try to support the players and the club. If I'm not permitted to say it like I see it on this forum without being criticised for not starting a one-man futile campaign to get Gao out, what exactly is the point of the forum?

And I don't think the club is being run badly. The people running the club seem to be doing their best to balance the books.

All I have ever said is that Gao is not fit for purpose as an owner and that we are in decline under him.

He's taking us to the next level, just not the one we had in mind.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 13:48 - Aug 10 with 735 viewsPatfromPoole

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 13:22 - Aug 10 by DorsetIan

If you haven't got time to read the accounts, don't tell people they've got their facts wrong. The £85m is not a facility, it is shown in the accounts as an amount due at £85,066m. Actual debt not just numbers. Page 38, Note 19. The equivalent figure in the 2019 accounts was £5,917m.

And it's not about 'doing something about it'. I've bought 5 season tickets. I try to support the players and the club. If I'm not permitted to say it like I see it on this forum without being criticised for not starting a one-man futile campaign to get Gao out, what exactly is the point of the forum?

And I don't think the club is being run badly. The people running the club seem to be doing their best to balance the books.

All I have ever said is that Gao is not fit for purpose as an owner and that we are in decline under him.

He's taking us to the next level, just not the one we had in mind.

Yes, the loan is committing us to an annual interest cost of around £7 million per year, which is not an insignificant sum.

I would be interested to see if this gets asked about in the Fans Forum tonight, rather than the usual bland stuff about kits, VAR etc etc….

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 13:50 - Aug 10 with 728 viewspjt50

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 12:46 - Aug 10 by saints__fan__73

He never went to games for ages before covid Nick....

We are steadily declining.

There is no long term plan other than survival.

Sooner or later all the PL clubs that are run in this way go down. Just look at Watford, WBA, B'muff, etc.

It'll be our turn soon.

The difference with us is that when we go down our debts our such that admin will be fairly certain.

But at least that will mean the end of Kat and Gao.

"He never went to games for ages before covid Nick.... "

Nelly supposedly has more involvement with the club than Gao. She's based in London (or she was before the pandemic).

"We are steadily declining."

No evidence of that (admittedly we're not exactly pulling up trees.)
PL; FA Cup; EFL Cup
2017-18: 17th; SF; R5
2018-19: 16th; R3; R4
2019-20: 11th; R4; R4
2020-21: 15th; SF; R2

"There is no long term plan other than survival."

Do you really think a business the size of the Saints has no other long-term plan? Whatever you think of Gao/Semmens, they're no fools.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 14:00]

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 14:13 - Aug 10 with 681 viewsPatfromPoole

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 13:50 - Aug 10 by pjt50

Nelly supposedly has more involvement with the club than Gao. She's based in London (or she was before the pandemic).

PL; FA Cup; EFL Cup

Do you really think a business the size of the Saints has no other long-term plan? Whatever you think of Gao/Semmens, they're no fools.

I don’t think Semmens is a fool at all.

He will doubtless be impressive again at the Fans Forum tonight.

But like Ralph he must be getting frustrated with the non-investment at the Club.

I’m surprised Semmens is still there actually.

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 14:17 - Aug 10 with 671 viewsButty101

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 13:50 - Aug 10 by pjt50

PL; FA Cup; EFL Cup

thats a rather convenient cut off point for your league positions, to show no evident decline... Add the previous seasons and it shows a very clear decline.

2014-15: 7th;
2015-16: 6th;
2016-17: 8th;
2017-18: 17th;
2018-19: 16th;
2019-20: 11th;
2020-21: 15th;

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 14:30 - Aug 10 with 656 viewssaints__fan__73

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 14:13 - Aug 10 by PatfromPoole

I don’t think Semmens is a fool at all.

He will doubtless be impressive again at the Fans Forum tonight.

But like Ralph he must be getting frustrated with the non-investment at the Club.

I’m surprised Semmens is still there actually.

Why? He's a bloke with a pretty nondescript career in PR who effectively finds himself running a PL club.

I'm sure his wage is far higher than any he has ever had before.

All he has to do each year is to hope there are 3 clubs worse than us. I've seen nothing to show there is more of a long term plan than this.

He'd be mad to quit.

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 14:36 - Aug 10 with 650 viewspjt50

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 14:17 - Aug 10 by Butty101

thats a rather convenient cut off point for your league positions, to show no evident decline... Add the previous seasons and it shows a very clear decline.

2014-15: 7th;
2015-16: 6th;
2016-17: 8th;
2017-18: 17th;
2018-19: 16th;
2019-20: 11th;
2020-21: 15th;

Not sure yours tells the full story either. Gao took over in August 2017. Puel had been sacked in June & replaced by Pellegrino, so you can't really blame Gao for the setback. Don't know how much input Gao had into Pellegrino's sacking but you could say that Gao's takeover was responsible for saving us that season.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 14:47 - Aug 10 with 637 viewsPatfromPoole

Gao Not taken a penny out of the club on 14:30 - Aug 10 by saints__fan__73

Why? He's a bloke with a pretty nondescript career in PR who effectively finds himself running a PL club.

I'm sure his wage is far higher than any he has ever had before.

All he has to do each year is to hope there are 3 clubs worse than us. I've seen nothing to show there is more of a long term plan than this.

He'd be mad to quit.

Think you’ll find bigger Prem clubs than us have been after him.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024