Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Taliban 11:11 - Aug 15 with 9001 viewsSadoldgit

After many years of death and disability amongst our soldiers we have now left the country and once again it is at the mercy of the Taliban. The families and loved ones of those who have lost their lives and those who will spend the rest of their lives without limbs must be wondering why they bothered. We followed the US in their supposed fight against terrorism. Yet another failure of American foreign policy that we trotted dutifully behind. What a waste of lives and resources that turned out to be.
The Taliban on 16:18 - Aug 27 with 1080 viewscocklebreath

The Taliban on 14:53 - Aug 27 by Bazza

To answer your query; no I think not all struggling people are feckless or lazy, some are just very unlucky eg losing their job, being ill, getting divorced. I do think there is a group of people who think they are forever entitled (and not just royalty or footballers) to take benefits and likely pass on that mindset to their offspring.

Indeed, my father in law a proper leftie, Labour Party member all his adult life has recently become a councillor and even he admits to being surprised by how many use the food banks when they shouldn’t be, like the fella he knows in his local Working mans club who sticks £20 a day in the fruit machine on top of his fags and beer

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

The Taliban on 16:25 - Aug 27 with 1070 viewsChesham_Saint

The Taliban on 11:37 - Aug 27 by Sadoldgit

They may not be as right wing as the Thatcher years but they still look after themselves and their buddies financially which is a major Tory trait. I think the problem with that Party now is that are arecled by someone with no ideology than looking after no 1 and his cabinet are all following suit. Any decent, principled Tories, like Rory Stewart, have been banished to the sidelines. All we have now is a bunch of pigs with their snouts in the trough post Brexit. They have even managed to make money out of a pandemic. I think Keir Starmer is a decent man who wants to do right for all in this country. Unfortunately there are factions in his party who would rather paralyse his campaign than get the Tories out. In a perfect world I would like to see a coalition between the Libdems and a moderate selection of Labour and Tory MPs with some Greens thrown in for good measure. We are moving into a different world now, one where we need to look after everybody, not just let a select few spend fortune on football teams or vanity space projects. Food banks, child poverty and an unfair Universal Credit system have no place in 21st century societies. The creation of wealth is fine as long as it goes back into the societies which helped create it. Unfortunately the system in the west create a pyramid system where all of the wealth is at the top and the rest of us have to make do with the scraps thrown from the high table. The Tory Party will always be about looking after the minority. We need to be better than that now.

A major Tory trait? Oh really.

21st century societies? Why not start somewhere with real massive equality - maybe India or China before always doing this country down. It isn’t perfect but you seem to relish your Dickensian hair shirt assessment of British life as if everywhere else is some kind of nirvana.

The system in the west? What, as opposed to the Eden of the east?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The Taliban on 16:54 - Aug 27 with 1049 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The Taliban on 14:53 - Aug 27 by Bazza

To answer your query; no I think not all struggling people are feckless or lazy, some are just very unlucky eg losing their job, being ill, getting divorced. I do think there is a group of people who think they are forever entitled (and not just royalty or footballers) to take benefits and likely pass on that mindset to their offspring.

Exactly this, it is too bloody easy for those who COULD and SHOULD be working, not to. Sadly that will never go away and it is in every single country.

Long gone are the days for example like my Grandad who had 3 jobs after leaving the army in 48/49 to raise his family.

There are more jobs available than ever and a massive shortage of lorry drivers, but it requires too much effort for a portion of the human race.

People genuinely in need of course have a brilliant system to help them out, but as you say, there are those who are passing it on to their offspring as "that is how it is".

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

The Taliban on 17:01 - Aug 27 with 1043 viewsSadoldgit

The Taliban on 16:25 - Aug 27 by Chesham_Saint

A major Tory trait? Oh really.

21st century societies? Why not start somewhere with real massive equality - maybe India or China before always doing this country down. It isn’t perfect but you seem to relish your Dickensian hair shirt assessment of British life as if everywhere else is some kind of nirvana.

The system in the west? What, as opposed to the Eden of the east?

I can’t speak about India or China as I have never lived there. Living here for nearly 7 decades gives me a better heads up of things in the UK though. It’s funny how, whenever u criticise the Tory government, I just get abuse or slagged off. Nobody comes back with reasons why my views are wrong. Why is that? Could it be that this Tory government is actually rubbish and no one can find anything worthwhile to say about them. Let’s face it, the me first society was born under Thatcher and every Tory government since has fuelled that doctrine. You mock my views as Dickensian but what is so wrong about a society in which people look after each other? In those days we used to send kids up chimneys and hang people for stealing handkerchiefs. Whatever you think of unions now, thank god for them after the industrial Revolution. Teams work better when every member pulls together. This country would work better if everyone felt that they were worth something and those who fall on hard times get supported and lifted back up, not left to live in the streets or feed their kids from food banks. We have (or used to have) the 5th biggest economy in the world. It is shameful that in many respects were are like a 3rd world country. Wouldn’t you rather live in a humane society where the rich pay a proportionate amount of tax and that money is used to support people sleeping rough or feeding malnourished children? We moan because our Owner isn’t throwing millions at footballers but there is not a word about the people sleeping on the streets at night. Perhaps we have got our priorities wrong? There are reports that Ronaldo’s next pay packet with by £500k a week. How is that justifiable when there are hundreds of thousands of children with no clean water to drink? I have been told that I am a bore by another poster on here. Maybe looking after our fellow man is boring but when you are ill I bet you are thankful for the NHS and if you fall on hard times are thankful for the welfare state (although good luck dealing with the current Universal Credit system).
The Taliban on 17:11 - Aug 27 with 1039 viewsBison

The Taliban on 17:01 - Aug 27 by Sadoldgit

I can’t speak about India or China as I have never lived there. Living here for nearly 7 decades gives me a better heads up of things in the UK though. It’s funny how, whenever u criticise the Tory government, I just get abuse or slagged off. Nobody comes back with reasons why my views are wrong. Why is that? Could it be that this Tory government is actually rubbish and no one can find anything worthwhile to say about them. Let’s face it, the me first society was born under Thatcher and every Tory government since has fuelled that doctrine. You mock my views as Dickensian but what is so wrong about a society in which people look after each other? In those days we used to send kids up chimneys and hang people for stealing handkerchiefs. Whatever you think of unions now, thank god for them after the industrial Revolution. Teams work better when every member pulls together. This country would work better if everyone felt that they were worth something and those who fall on hard times get supported and lifted back up, not left to live in the streets or feed their kids from food banks. We have (or used to have) the 5th biggest economy in the world. It is shameful that in many respects were are like a 3rd world country. Wouldn’t you rather live in a humane society where the rich pay a proportionate amount of tax and that money is used to support people sleeping rough or feeding malnourished children? We moan because our Owner isn’t throwing millions at footballers but there is not a word about the people sleeping on the streets at night. Perhaps we have got our priorities wrong? There are reports that Ronaldo’s next pay packet with by £500k a week. How is that justifiable when there are hundreds of thousands of children with no clean water to drink? I have been told that I am a bore by another poster on here. Maybe looking after our fellow man is boring but when you are ill I bet you are thankful for the NHS and if you fall on hard times are thankful for the welfare state (although good luck dealing with the current Universal Credit system).

How is that justifiable when there are hundreds of thousands of children with no clean water to drink?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

The Taliban on 17:53 - Aug 27 with 999 viewsPoirot

Trained and armed the afghans to defend their own country, but they didnt want to do it. I fail to see why US and UK taxpayers should continue to spend billions on it.

Around 40 Afghans in the holiday inn ageas bowl.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 20:21]
The Taliban on 22:01 - Aug 27 with 947 viewsDorsetIan

The Taliban on 17:01 - Aug 27 by Sadoldgit

I don’t know what the answer is but something is now seriously f*cked up with the economic model in this country. Many millions working very hard to just about live a decent life but unable to afford a mortgage, or save for a pension, and who think that’s normal. While a small few can afford second homes, private school fees (out of post-tax income ffs!) and fancy cars, and who think that’s normal.

Wealth hasn‘t ‚trickled down‘ and I think the many millions are getting restless, hence the rise of populism and the search for scapegoats in either immigrants or the EU.

As Sogs says, none of this is inevitable, the rewards for hard work could be distributed more fairly, and we’d be a better, more cohesive, more productive country for it. The Conservative Party are simply too wedded to the wealthy to ever do anything serious about any of this. They are very happy to hand out lucrative public contracts to themselves and their friends and then moan at anyone who doesn’t understand why that has been ‘‘necessary‘, and led by a baby-man who thinks nothing of spending ten of thousands on rolls of wallpaper.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The Taliban on 00:06 - Aug 28 with 913 viewsBazza

The Taliban on 22:01 - Aug 27 by DorsetIan

I don’t know what the answer is but something is now seriously f*cked up with the economic model in this country. Many millions working very hard to just about live a decent life but unable to afford a mortgage, or save for a pension, and who think that’s normal. While a small few can afford second homes, private school fees (out of post-tax income ffs!) and fancy cars, and who think that’s normal.

Wealth hasn‘t ‚trickled down‘ and I think the many millions are getting restless, hence the rise of populism and the search for scapegoats in either immigrants or the EU.

As Sogs says, none of this is inevitable, the rewards for hard work could be distributed more fairly, and we’d be a better, more cohesive, more productive country for it. The Conservative Party are simply too wedded to the wealthy to ever do anything serious about any of this. They are very happy to hand out lucrative public contracts to themselves and their friends and then moan at anyone who doesn’t understand why that has been ‘‘necessary‘, and led by a baby-man who thinks nothing of spending ten of thousands on rolls of wallpaper.

One improvement starting to happen is where pension fund managers and hedge funds investors are voting against huge annual salary/bonus increases for company bosses. Can’t blame Governments as they don’t control company salaries.
How about football clubs having enforced team salary caps to slow the ridiculous pay increases that continue despite the COVID clubs losses?
Login to get fewer ads

The Taliban on 06:39 - Aug 28 with 898 viewsBerber

Something back on topic. Watching the media pressing government spokesmen, (UK and US), asking if it sits well leaving behind Afghans who have worked with us. It occurred to me that a few months ago, all Brits were advised to leave immediately by commercial flights.

Hundreds, if not thousands did not. Over the past couple of weeks, the space they took on the evacuation planes could have been filled with Afghans and their families. Is anyone going to ask how they feel about their actions?
The Taliban on 07:29 - Aug 28 with 885 viewsJaySaint

The Taliban on 06:39 - Aug 28 by Berber

Something back on topic. Watching the media pressing government spokesmen, (UK and US), asking if it sits well leaving behind Afghans who have worked with us. It occurred to me that a few months ago, all Brits were advised to leave immediately by commercial flights.

Hundreds, if not thousands did not. Over the past couple of weeks, the space they took on the evacuation planes could have been filled with Afghans and their families. Is anyone going to ask how they feel about their actions?

There was one chap (and I assume his family), who had come to the UK previously to claim (and be awarded) asylum. He was back over in Afghanistan for to attend a wedding, for a whole month

He is/was stuck out there and of course, blaming BoJo for this!

When giving these people the platform to sad-face, why do they not call them out of these facts

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

The Taliban on 08:34 - Aug 28 with 865 viewsHeisenberg

The Taliban on 07:29 - Aug 28 by JaySaint

There was one chap (and I assume his family), who had come to the UK previously to claim (and be awarded) asylum. He was back over in Afghanistan for to attend a wedding, for a whole month

When giving these people the platform to sad-face, why do they not call them out of these facts

Can you provide a link to this story ? I would be interested in reading it.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

The Taliban on 11:13 - Aug 28 with 819 viewsSadoldgit

One case doesn’t negate all of the cases where people have been working with the American and UK forces and are now in fear of their lives and the lives of their wives and children.
The Taliban on 12:49 - Aug 28 with 800 viewsJaySaint

The Taliban on 11:13 - Aug 28 by Sadoldgit

One case doesn’t negate all of the cases where people have been working with the American and UK forces and are now in fear of their lives and the lives of their wives and children.

I agree with that.

What I find alarming is that UK nationals were told to leave around 6 months ago. Too many did not (weddings etc are very important).

The Taliban on 12:56 - Aug 28 with 797 viewsSadoldgit

The Taliban on 12:49 - Aug 28 by JaySaint

I agree with that.

What I find alarming is that UK nationals were told to leave around 6 months ago. Too many did not (weddings etc are very important).

I can’t speak for these people, but the speed of the re-emergence of the Taliban and collapse of the existing authorities took even senior politicians by surprise.
The Taliban on 12:58 - Aug 28 with 794 viewsJaySaint

The Taliban on 12:56 - Aug 28 by Sadoldgit

I can’t speak for these people, but the speed of the re-emergence of the Taliban and collapse of the existing authorities took even senior politicians by surprise.

I doubt it was over there (hence why they were told to leave 6 months ago). They do not get spoon fed western news
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 12:58]

The Taliban on 13:44 - Aug 28 with 768 viewsSadoldgit

I have just read an interview with this guy and nowhere in the write up does he blame Johnson?
The Taliban on 13:53 - Aug 28 with 764 viewsSadoldgit

How difficult must it be to just leave everything behind, including your savings and just get on a plane with you family with no plan what what happens when you arrive in a different country? I am not saying that it is not potentially better than staying under the Taliban, but it can’t have been easy for people to just up sticks and go until the situation became untenable.
The Taliban on 16:37 - Aug 28 with 737 viewsbarry_sanchez

The Taliban on 13:53 - Aug 28 by Sadoldgit

How difficult must it be to just leave everything behind, including your savings and just get on a plane with you family with no plan what what happens when you arrive in a different country? I am not saying that it is not potentially better than staying under the Taliban, but it can’t have been easy for people to just up sticks and go until the situation became untenable.

I know if Jack Stephens was in charge of the stoning for this backward outfit the victims would survive as so many do stones would miss the target…..

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

The Taliban on 17:11 - Aug 28 with 727 viewsSouthamptonfan

The Taliban on 19:33 - Aug 26 by Bazza

Unfortunately Afghanistan is a very rugged country with a large part of the population uneducated and still in primitive conditions. It’s these conditions that have bred the Taliban. No country has ever managed to control the country so who are we to try. In the last election there less than 10% voted.
We should think really hard about invading again especially when there is an open border to Pakistan. No doubt China will try to increase their influence.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nottinghamshire-council-official-says-taliban-13323287

You have a point. One of our own council dignitary's in support of the Taliban. Some muslims believe in their cause.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

The Taliban on 17:23 - Aug 28 with 722 viewsSadoldgit

Some might but I would bet that the vast majority don’t. Extremist factions make it difficult for normal peace loving folk to go about their lives without being tarred with the same brush.
The Taliban on 17:36 - Aug 28 with 715 viewsSouthamptonfan

The Taliban on 17:23 - Aug 28 by Sadoldgit

Some might but I would bet that the vast majority don’t. Extremist factions make it difficult for normal peace loving folk to go about their lives without being tarred with the same brush.

The confusing part being, that a Muslim is someone who believes in what is written in the Koran. Sharia law being a big part of the religion. And every politician saying it's a war we can't win. Makes you wonder why doesn't it.

The Taliban on 17:47 - Aug 28 with 712 viewsSadoldgit

The Taliban on 17:36 - Aug 28 by Southamptonfan

The confusing part being, that a Muslim is someone who believes in what is written in the Koran. Sharia law being a big part of the religion. And every politician saying it's a war we can't win. Makes you wonder why doesn't it.

Most of the main religions all stem from the same source so it is all about how millions of people chose to interpret what some people a long time ago put into writing. Funny how some people think that jihad is a given and others see Islam as a peaceful religion. Fortunately for us, the vast majority of Muslims seek a peaceful existence, just like Christians.
The Taliban on 18:32 - Aug 28 with 691 viewsBazza

The Taliban on 17:47 - Aug 28 by Sadoldgit

Most of the main religions all stem from the same source so it is all about how millions of people chose to interpret what some people a long time ago put into writing. Funny how some people think that jihad is a given and others see Islam as a peaceful religion. Fortunately for us, the vast majority of Muslims seek a peaceful existence, just like Christians.

Interestingly there are at least 4 types of Sharia law, that's what happens when different scholars chose their own interpretations of words thought to be spoken 1500 years ago. Of course Christianity is even older and still split in different branches and in debate. Tragic that people get killed in the pursuit of peace by most religions.
Amazing that anybody believes the validity of extremely old texts when Saints fans can scarcely agree who's playing well in front of their own eyes and no-one believes yesterday's papers!
The Taliban on 18:37 - Aug 28 with 688 viewsSouthamptonfan

The Taliban on 18:32 - Aug 28 by Bazza

Interestingly there are at least 4 types of Sharia law, that's what happens when different scholars chose their own interpretations of words thought to be spoken 1500 years ago. Of course Christianity is even older and still split in different branches and in debate. Tragic that people get killed in the pursuit of peace by most religions.
Amazing that anybody believes the validity of extremely old texts when Saints fans can scarcely agree who's playing well in front of their own eyes and no-one believes yesterday's papers!

Then in the name of religion, they all fight one another to see whose interpretation is right, so then there is no peace because they can't agree on what the words mean. It's all outdated and whole load of nonsense if you ask me. It's all wrong on homosexuality, on punishment, and various other things. Life is so complex that even stealing could be ok in some contexts (the starving child stealing a loaf of bread) so religion isn't always a good guide.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 18:40]

The Taliban on 08:49 - Aug 30 with 596 viewsBerber

One the one hand you have ‘modern’ interpretation of the bible that quite correctly holds that women have equal standing to men , but we have priests who insist that masses should be held in Latin. As if Jesus and his mates would have celebrated the last supper in Latin, not Aramaic which they would have as their natural language.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024