Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy is costing us points 08:38 - Aug 24 with 5912 viewsdirk_doone

McCarthy showed some improvement on Sunday. He came out and punched a couple of crosses instead of always retreating into his goal and instead of letting in his usual 3 goals, he only let in 1. But, his long kicks all either went straight out of play or to Man United players and he seemed to do everything in his power to avoid the Greenwood shot that United scored from. That was caused by the panic that sets in with him when opposition players are attacking his goal. It would have been easier for him to let the ball hit him. That cost us 2 points to add to the 1 he lost us at Everton, where Forster would have saved 2 of those goals

McCarthy hasn't kept a single clean sheet this year. All of our clean sheets have come when Forster has been in goal. Over a season, the points McCarthy is costing us are going to make a massive difference to our league position.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 9:09]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

McCarthy is costing us points on 08:43 - Aug 24 with 3758 viewsVeloSaint

Seems unlikely that will change anytime soon....

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-goalkeep
McCarthy is costing us points on 08:50 - Aug 24 with 3749 viewsdirk_doone

McCarthy is costing us points on 08:43 - Aug 24 by VeloSaint

Seems unlikely that will change anytime soon....

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-goalkeep

It's not difficult to spot good goalkeepers and compared to outfield players they are relatively cheap. But, in terms of the points they can win or lose you, along with strikers, they are the most important players in a team.

For years I've been saying we should buy David Raya. He would have cost next to nothing when he was a Blackburn youngster. Unfortunately, he'd be out of our price range now and why would he want to leave Brentford now anyway?

LukáÅ¡ Hrádecký is another one who would be good for us and we should have snapped him up after the Euros. Because he is the same age as McCarthy and at an unfashionable club, he wouldn't be expensive. It would still be great if we used some of the money we got from selling Ings and Vestergaard to buy him now. He would pay the fee back with the league place money he would save us.

But, still, we win more games, get more points, concede fewer goals and keep more clean sheets with Forster in goal than we do with McCarthy. I've seen the argument offered that McCarthy is better at distributing the ball but as we saw again on Sunday, that is complete and utter bollox. He is rubbish at that too.

It is becoming increasingly frustrating watching all of these points being thrown away. We could finish at least 6 places lower in the league at the end of the season simply because of all the points McCarthy is costing us.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 9:21]

McCarthy is costing us points on 09:06 - Aug 24 with 3709 viewsRon11

McCarthy is costing us points on 08:50 - Aug 24 by dirk_doone

It's not difficult to spot good goalkeepers and compared to outfield players they are relatively cheap. But, in terms of the points they can win or lose you, along with strikers, they are the most important players in a team.

For years I've been saying we should buy David Raya. He would have cost next to nothing when he was a Blackburn youngster. Unfortunately, he'd be out of our price range now and why would he want to leave Brentford now anyway?

LukáÅ¡ Hrádecký is another one who would be good for us and we should have snapped him up after the Euros. Because he is the same age as McCarthy and at an unfashionable club, he wouldn't be expensive. It would still be great if we used some of the money we got from selling Ings and Vestergaard to buy him now. He would pay the fee back with the league place money he would save us.

But, still, we win more games, get more points, concede fewer goals and keep more clean sheets with Forster in goal than we do with McCarthy. I've seen the argument offered that McCarthy is better at distributing the ball but as we saw again on Sunday, that is complete and utter bollox. He is rubbish at that too.

It is becoming increasingly frustrating watching all of these points being thrown away. We could finish at least 6 places lower in the league at the end of the season simply because of all the points McCarthy is costing us.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 9:21]

As mentioned above his kicking is beyond comprehension, either going out of play or straight to the opposition.
So why does Hassenhutl still select him over Forster?
McCarthy is costing us points on 09:12 - Aug 24 with 3685 viewssaints__fan__73

The way RH gets us to play needs a mobile 'sweeper keeper'. RH thinks Forster is too immobile to do this.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

McCarthy is costing us points on 09:16 - Aug 24 with 3683 viewsSaintNick

I said this in the verdict on the match, yes he did punch and catch a few balls, he did so at Everton as well, but his timing is flawed , on Sunday he was all at sea during the goalmouth scramble due to half coming for the cross before stopping when he realised he was nowhere near it and so was out of position.

Hasenhuttl seems to be trying to get him to play through it, but that isnt the answer, McCarthy had to be dropped last year and Forster did better, in pre season McCarthy was also full of mistakes whereas Forster looked good.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

McCarthy is costing us points on 09:18 - Aug 24 with 3675 viewssaint22

McCarthy is costing us points on 09:16 - Aug 24 by SaintNick

I said this in the verdict on the match, yes he did punch and catch a few balls, he did so at Everton as well, but his timing is flawed , on Sunday he was all at sea during the goalmouth scramble due to half coming for the cross before stopping when he realised he was nowhere near it and so was out of position.

Hasenhuttl seems to be trying to get him to play through it, but that isnt the answer, McCarthy had to be dropped last year and Forster did better, in pre season McCarthy was also full of mistakes whereas Forster looked good.

It seems to me every manager we have has a blind spot when it comes to certain players and McCarthy is Ralphs fave, along with Theo
Makes me wonder whether they have a contractual clause saying they have to start unless injured?

I would say AM cost us 10 points at least last season and will again this which could easily be the difference between staying up or not. Its madness

Presume FF starts in the Cup this week?
McCarthy is costing us points on 09:44 - Aug 24 with 3648 viewsVeloSaint

I suspect that Forster has made it clear he won't be staying but that he also has shown no interest in a move away because he's on stupidly high wages that he'll likely never earn again in his career which will of course include appearance and clean sheet bonus' that are off the scale. That's most likely pissed the club off who would have wanted to get his wages off the bill and enable them to sign a replacement. Every chance Ralph has been told to not play Forster in league games anymore. The decision to extend FF all those years ago seemed bizarre even then, in our position now it could be disastrous.
McCarthy is costing us points on 09:45 - Aug 24 with 3644 viewsDorsetIan

You've got to assume that the Club's analysts are able to point out these flaws to RH, so it is all a bit difficult to understand.

Driving home on Sunday, Blackmore was discussing whether it was due to the fact that FF is on a massive contract - something like that the Club doesn't want to be in a position to have to extend it next year , if it turns out he has a great season.

I couldn't really follow the logic myself. Or the fact that the club seems determined to wait until next summer to make a decision about which of them will stay and which will go.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy is costing us points on 09:57 - Aug 24 with 3632 viewsdirk_doone

McCarthy is costing us points on 09:45 - Aug 24 by DorsetIan

You've got to assume that the Club's analysts are able to point out these flaws to RH, so it is all a bit difficult to understand.

Driving home on Sunday, Blackmore was discussing whether it was due to the fact that FF is on a massive contract - something like that the Club doesn't want to be in a position to have to extend it next year , if it turns out he has a great season.

I couldn't really follow the logic myself. Or the fact that the club seems determined to wait until next summer to make a decision about which of them will stay and which will go.

The reason McCarthy will stay is that no other club would want him. Look at his career before he washed up here.

2007—2014 Reading 70 (0)
2007 → Woking (loan) 1 (0)
2008 → Cambridge United (loan) 1 (0)
2008 → Team Bath (loan) 2 (0)
2009 → Aldershot Town (loan) 4 (0)
2009—2010 → Yeovil Town (loan) 44 (0)
2010 → Brentford (loan) 3 (0)
2011—2012 → Leeds United (loan) 6 (0)
2012 → Ipswich Town (loan) 10 (0)
2014—2015 Queens Park Rangers 3 (0)
2015—2016 Crystal Palace 7 (0)
2016— Southampton 103 (0)
[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 10:01]

McCarthy is costing us points on 10:44 - Aug 24 with 3594 viewsVeloSaint

He was signed as a back up and I don't think anyone thought he'd become a regular. He took his chance though when Forster went through a massive dip in form and looked steady. Seem to recall he was even linked with Liverpool. The mistake the club have tended to make though with a few players is giving long contracts based on a relatively short run of decent form (you could add Stephens and even Long last year to that list). Forster really isn't that much better so lets stop putting him on a pedestal.
McCarthy is costing us points on 10:59 - Aug 24 with 3579 viewsdarthvader

McCarthy is costing us points on 10:44 - Aug 24 by VeloSaint

He was signed as a back up and I don't think anyone thought he'd become a regular. He took his chance though when Forster went through a massive dip in form and looked steady. Seem to recall he was even linked with Liverpool. The mistake the club have tended to make though with a few players is giving long contracts based on a relatively short run of decent form (you could add Stephens and even Long last year to that list). Forster really isn't that much better so lets stop putting him on a pedestal.

Not much better but still ...better . Clean sheets win points as well as goals

keep the faith coyr

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:04 - Aug 24 with 3570 viewsBuggalugs

McCarthy is costing us points on 09:57 - Aug 24 by dirk_doone

The reason McCarthy will stay is that no other club would want him. Look at his career before he washed up here.

2007—2014 Reading 70 (0)

What does the (0) represent, saves?

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:20 - Aug 24 with 3565 viewsVeloSaint

McCarthy is costing us points on 10:59 - Aug 24 by darthvader

Not much better but still ...better . Clean sheets win points as well as goals

Aye and I'd play him if it were me... I reckon Ralph would as well if allowed. would love to know the discussions going on between him and the board on this.
McCarthy is costing us points on 15:24 - Aug 24 with 3484 viewscocklebreath

McCarthy is costing us points on 09:57 - Aug 24 by dirk_doone

2007—2014 Reading 70 (0)

How has this joker become our 1st choice, he’s league 1 level at best, why can’t Saints hierarchy see this? How bad is Lewis if he can’t get a game?

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

McCarthy is costing us points on 15:31 - Aug 24 with 3477 viewsElijahK

McCarthy is costing us points on 15:24 - Aug 24 by cocklebreath

How has this joker become our 1st choice, he’s league 1 level at best, why can’t Saints hierarchy see this? How bad is Lewis if he can’t get a game?

Ok but so is Forster, I mean McCarthy and Stephens always seems to get soo much criticism on here even though many other players get away with loads, but at the end of the day with McCarthy, unless we’re gonna play that youth keeper, the difference between him and Forster is like nothing hence why I don’t see the major issue in just playing McCarthy as Forster is no better nor any worse

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

McCarthy is costing us points on 15:52 - Aug 24 with 3466 viewscocklebreath

McCarthy is costing us points on 15:31 - Aug 24 by ElijahK

Ok but so is Forster, I mean McCarthy and Stephens always seems to get soo much criticism on here even though many other players get away with loads, but at the end of the day with McCarthy, unless we’re gonna play that youth keeper, the difference between him and Forster is like nothing hence why I don’t see the major issue in just playing McCarthy as Forster is no better nor any worse

Disagree, Forster has done well in the distant past and looked far more assured when he played last season , McCarthy has never had a good career. I like Jack, he’s got a bit about him, if he can avoid his idiot moments then all’s good with him

McCarthy is costing us points on 17:29 - Aug 24 with 3415 viewsSadoldgit

Both are perfectly good no 2’s for a club like us. It looks like we will offload Forster next year and get a new keeper in the summer with McCathy being back up.
McCarthy is costing us points on 10:25 - Aug 26 with 3235 viewsdirk_doone

In the 16 games McCarthy has played in 2021, he hasn't kept a single sheet.

In the 14 games Forster has played in 2021, he has kept 7, including our 1-0 wins v Liverpool and Arsenal.

And, let's not forget what happened in our last League Cup game against lower league opposition with McCarthy in goal:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11938/12073703/southampton-0-2-brentford
[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 10:28]

McCarthy is costing us points on 10:43 - Aug 26 with 3212 viewssaint22

McCarthy is costing us points on 10:25 - Aug 26 by dirk_doone

In the 14 games Forster has played in 2021, he has kept 7, including our 1-0 wins v Liverpool and Arsenal.

And, let's not forget what happened in our last League Cup game against lower league opposition with McCarthy in goal:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11938/12073703/southampton-0-2-brentford

We all know FF should be our number 1 this season but for some unknown reason the only person in Britain, McCarthy aside who doesnt agree is ralph
McCarthy is costing us points on 10:50 - Aug 26 with 3209 viewscocklebreath

McCarthy is costing us points on 17:29 - Aug 24 by Sadoldgit

Both are perfectly good no 2’s for a club like us. It looks like we will offload Forster next year and get a new keeper in the summer with McCathy being back up.

McCarthy isn’t a good number 2 he’s fooking shite

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:29 - Aug 26 with 3196 viewsElijahK

McCarthy is costing us points on 10:25 - Aug 26 by dirk_doone

Yeah and basically all those clean sheets were games in which our defence were great, I mean the only game he had last season where he was r red lot decent in goal, was maybe the Palace game, but even then we all knew where that striker was gonna put his penalty by where he’d put it over his last 8 ones. I mean I do hope Forster goes in goal soon so it just ends this debate as nether are that good, but for how much they’re on I’d rather have McCarthy as they’re barely any different yet McCarthy isn’t on a ridiculous wage

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:36 - Aug 26 with 3192 viewsdirk_doone

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:29 - Aug 26 by ElijahK

Yeah and basically all those clean sheets were games in which our defence were great, I mean the only game he had last season where he was r red lot decent in goal, was maybe the Palace game, but even then we all knew where that striker was gonna put his penalty by where he’d put it over his last 8 ones. I mean I do hope Forster goes in goal soon so it just ends this debate as nether are that good, but for how much they’re on I’d rather have McCarthy as they’re barely any different yet McCarthy isn’t on a ridiculous wage

So, when Forster plays our defence is great; when McCarthy plays it isn't. I see.

You have to be related to him. There's no other explanation.

So, let's just take Premier League games:

In 126 PL games McCarthy has kept 25 clean sheets and conceded 206 goals.
In 115 PL games Forster has kept 40 clean sheets and conceded 113 goals

It's not even close. McCarthy lets in twice as many goals as Forster. He is costing us a massive number of points.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 11:51]

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:46 - Aug 26 with 3170 viewsButty101

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:36 - Aug 26 by dirk_doone

So, when Forster plays our defence is great; when McCarthy plays it isn't. I see.

It's not even close. McCarthy lets in twice as many goals as Forster. He is costing us a massive number of points.

The board seems to have picked up a few new posters like this one. Surely the club dont have PR plants again.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:59 - Aug 26 with 3169 viewsElijahK

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:36 - Aug 26 by dirk_doone

No not necessarily, as our defence was pretty great against Man U, yet we still conceded, and last season McCarthy was the one going in goal for the City, Chelsea, Tottenham etc games whilst Forster got the Palace, Burnley etc games which it’s guaranteed to make a bit of a difference. And unless those stats are just from after Claudr Puel left then it’s a bit useless seeing that one keeper had Van Dijk, Fonte, Lovern etc in front of him whilst the other had Bednerak and Stephens. I mean I personally think that the reason Forster is soo overrated is because he had such a good defence I the past but now he doesn’t, he’s not as good.

But just to clarify I’d rather have a new keeper than ether of them as I don’t think ether are really PL number 1 quality, but we don’t have another one and for what they’re being paid and how good (or bad) they are I’d just rather have McCarthy

McCarthy is costing us points on 12:02 - Aug 26 with 3162 viewssaints__fan__73

McCarthy is costing us points on 11:46 - Aug 26 by Butty101

The board seems to have picked up a few new posters like this one. Surely the club dont have PR plants again.

Eh? Dirk's been posting on here for about 20 years.

His trademark is getting utterly obsessed with some players. The current one is Forster but before than he spent seasons trying to convince all and sundry that Lallana was up there with the world's best players! :)

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024