Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stats thread 20:01 - Sep 3 with 11937 views442Dale

These sort of things are cropping up more now, some more interesting than others. This one illustrates how Stockdale’s forum views on making the right pass to get the ball into a position where we can score, is backed up by the way we’re now playing.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Stats thread on 08:23 - Sep 4 with 10057 viewsDalenet

You generally can't score if you don't get the ball in the box right? Would be interesting to see what the same stats were for last season. Long may the current approach last.
Stats thread on 11:17 - Sep 4 with 9939 views100notout

Stats thread on 08:23 - Sep 4 by Dalenet

You generally can't score if you don't get the ball in the box right? Would be interesting to see what the same stats were for last season. Long may the current approach last.

and you won't get a penalty if you're not inside the box.

A bit early in the season now but it would be interesting to see this stat again in a few months and look at how many penalties the teams have been awarded

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Stats thread on 12:44 - Sep 4 with 9853 viewsDaleiLama

As does this. It almost seems like players running at defences has been coached out of them in the modern game. Not only is it entertaining to watch but it produces results and draws free kicks and pens (as per the pizza cup). It was sadly missing from the later 'Hill wilderness years' and the BBM 'triangle years' but is another contribution to the cleansing of all things rotten from Dale. Three in the top 10 to date. I'll take that

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Stats thread on 12:38 - Sep 6 with 9518 viewsAtThePeake

Tangled up in blue.

Stats thread on 15:44 - Sep 6 with 9320 viewsboromat

Morley seems to be mentioned every week at the moment when it comes to stats. So much so I've decided to go all rkershaw and create a song specifically for Aaron 'Statman' Morley

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for him
'Cause he's the statman
Aaron Morley
He's the statman

Obviously to the Beatles - Taxman

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Stats thread on 21:04 - Sep 13 with 8711 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Stats thread on 21:22 - Sep 13 with 8597 viewsD_Alien

Stats thread on 21:04 - Sep 13 by 442Dale

Surprised Stephen Drooley's not in that list

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Stats thread on 17:28 - Sep 14 with 8154 viewstony_roch975

Stats thread on 21:22 - Sep 13 by D_Alien

Surprised Stephen Drooley's not in that list

Surely right that he's not, last thing we need is a DMF trying to dribble out of his penalty box - horses for courses and all that.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Login to get fewer ads

Stats thread on 18:42 - Sep 14 with 8034 viewsboromat

More seriously, surprised Odoh isn't on that list! Seems that's his thing as soon as he picks the ball up its head down and he's on a mazy run.

Stats thread on 19:54 - Sep 14 with 7852 viewsD_Alien

Stats thread on 17:28 - Sep 14 by tony_roch975

Surely right that he's not, last thing we need is a DMF trying to dribble out of his penalty box - horses for courses and all that.

Does his training bib say DMF?

Stats thread on 20:07 - Sep 14 with 7826 viewsTVOS1907

Stats thread on 19:54 - Sep 14 by D_Alien

Does his training bib say DMF?

It probably says Whoosh!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Stats thread on 22:24 - Sep 14 with 7539 viewsShun

Stats thread on 15:44 - Sep 6 by boromat

Morley seems to be mentioned every week at the moment when it comes to stats. So much so I've decided to go all rkershaw and create a song specifically for Aaron 'Statman' Morley

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for him
'Cause he's the statman
Aaron Morley
He's the statman

Obviously to the Beatles - Taxman

Morley also 2nd in the league in expected assists.
Stats thread on 10:19 - Sep 15 with 7095 viewsboromat

Stats thread on 22:24 - Sep 14 by Shun

Morley also 2nd in the league in expected assists.

Increase those shots on target and we might actually get goals and convert those expected into real assists.

Stats thread on 17:43 - Sep 17 with 6194 viewsboromat

Doooooley Doooooley Doooooley

Stats thread on 10:44 - Sep 20 with 5462 viewsAtThePeake

Last season I made the point on the podcast and messageboard a few times that our 'possessions won in attacking third' numbers were comfortably the worst in the league, showcasing how ineffective our pressing was (mainly because it was left completely to Beesley and when he wasn't playing we didn't even bother to attempt to press high up the pitch).

At this point in time, we rank 5th best in L2 for possessions won in the attacking third, with 30. A few other rankings I noticed this morning:

Shots - 105 (5th)
Chances created - 83 (2nd)
Big chances created - 16 (2nd)
Take-ons attempted - 123 (1st)
Take-ons completed - 67 (2nd)
Possessions won in middle third - 197 (1st)
Possessions won in defensive third - 210 (1st)
Passes attempted - 3,419 (3rd)
Passes completed - 2,590 (3rd)
Final third passes - 712 (2nd)
Crosses completed - 47 (3rd)
Sweeper keeper regains - 6 (1st)

We also have the best disciplinary record in the league at the moment with just 7 yellow cards and no reds.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Tangled up in blue.

Stats thread on 11:58 - Sep 20 with 5250 viewsD_Alien

Stats thread on 10:44 - Sep 20 by AtThePeake

Last season I made the point on the podcast and messageboard a few times that our 'possessions won in attacking third' numbers were comfortably the worst in the league, showcasing how ineffective our pressing was (mainly because it was left completely to Beesley and when he wasn't playing we didn't even bother to attempt to press high up the pitch).

At this point in time, we rank 5th best in L2 for possessions won in the attacking third, with 30. A few other rankings I noticed this morning:

Shots - 105 (5th)
Chances created - 83 (2nd)
Big chances created - 16 (2nd)
Take-ons attempted - 123 (1st)
Take-ons completed - 67 (2nd)
Possessions won in middle third - 197 (1st)
Possessions won in defensive third - 210 (1st)
Passes attempted - 3,419 (3rd)
Passes completed - 2,590 (3rd)
Final third passes - 712 (2nd)
Crosses completed - 47 (3rd)
Sweeper keeper regains - 6 (1st)

We also have the best disciplinary record in the league at the moment with just 7 yellow cards and no reds.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Of all those, for me the most impressive is Possessions won in middle third 197 (1st) perhaps because it's the least expected given the Morley/Dooley combo, obviously with support from wingbacks and others

It's not as if they're both terrier-like tacklers either, rather the opposite before RS turned up. Whatever he's doing in training, it's remarkable; something akin to teaching intelligent positioning and timing

Stats thread on 22:08 - Oct 19 with 4400 viewsShun

If only we knew how to finish.

Stats thread on 07:44 - Oct 20 with 3929 viewsNigeriamark

Stats thread on 22:08 - Oct 19 by Shun

For all the impressive individual stats, most important stat seems to be team position in the league of which we are 18th. Shun's comment would suggest 1 reason why
Stats thread on 08:57 - Oct 20 with 3781 viewsrichfoad32

Stats thread on 22:08 - Oct 19 by Shun

I must admit to being a bit old school and not completely sold on these new fangled Moneyball stats, how do you quantify a 'chance'?
Stats thread on 09:28 - Oct 20 with 3719 viewsdingdangblue

We are 2nd for away goals scored (11) and 2nd bottom for home goals scored (3).
Our home form and lack of goals is a major worry as it showed last season - if you struggle to win home games there is a huge chance you will be in trouble come the end of season.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Stats thread on 09:35 - Oct 20 with 3691 viewsDaleiLama

Stats thread on 07:44 - Oct 20 by Nigeriamark

For all the impressive individual stats, most important stat seems to be team position in the league of which we are 18th. Shun's comment would suggest 1 reason why

I'm sure you're aware of one of the most apposite quotes of all time (which takes fan bias out of the equation) being a Browns fan

Having said that, there's room for a bit of fan bias in interpreting our record. We're still largely a young group getting used to playing with each other, with a few hired guns thrown in. Add to that the inevitable comings and goings during the winter musical chairs interlude, all overseen by a first time manager and the current status quo still leaves me thinking we have more upside than downside. That's probably why I'm a fan and not a football analyst.

And yes, Shun's point is one of the main key's to success.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Stats thread on 08:18 - Nov 2 with 2914 viewsHullDale

O'Connell is 3rd for shots blocked across all of the top 4 divisions so far this season.

It shows how important he is to the team, but it also begs the question how much more productive we could be if there was a midfield enforcer stopping those opportunities before they get to a shot being blocked.
Stats thread on 09:06 - Nov 2 with 2789 viewsJames1980

Morley joint top in L2 for chances created

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Stats thread on 12:42 - Nov 2 with 2562 viewsrichfoad32

Stats thread on 09:06 - Nov 2 by James1980

Morley joint top in L2 for chances created

What actually constitutes a 'chance'?

If the striker is put through but dallies on the ball and doesn't get a shot off, does this qualify?

How about a ball flashed across the box that nobody gets on the end of?

Do set pieces count?

Football seems to be getting more like US Sports in that it swamps you with statistics. I guess you can pick and choose those that are actually meaningful.
Stats thread on 13:11 - Nov 2 with 2490 viewsJames1980

Stats thread on 12:42 - Nov 2 by richfoad32

What actually constitutes a 'chance'?

If the striker is put through but dallies on the ball and doesn't get a shot off, does this qualify?

How about a ball flashed across the box that nobody gets on the end of?

Do set pieces count?

Football seems to be getting more like US Sports in that it swamps you with statistics. I guess you can pick and choose those that are actually meaningful.

That's a really good question. Here is something I found.

A key pass is the final pass by a teammate which leads to a goal attempt that does not result in a goal. Meanwhile, chances created includes both key passes and assists, which is a touch from a teammate which leads to a goal being scored.

Here’s what you need to know about each statistic:
A key pass is a pass by a player that allows his teammate to have an attempt on goal. However, his teammate failed to score. As such, a key pass is awarded to the player, instead of an assist.

Here is the official definition by Opta:

The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring.

Opta
This means that you will create a great goal-scoring opportunity for your teammate. However, he may fail to score a goal!

As such, you cannot be awarded an assist!

This is because an assist is only awarded if your touch leads to a goal being scored.
Instead of an assist, you will be awarded with a key pass instead.

Key passes were meant to give recognition to creative players
The main way that creative players are rated are based on their assists. The more assists a player has, he is deemed to be more creative.

However, this may not be the case!
A playmaker may be creating a lot of great opportunities for his team to score. However, his teammates just have poor finishing.

No goals are scored as a result, and so the player does not get any assists!

In this way, key passes help to provide recognition for these players. Even though his teammate does not score the goal, he is still awarded with a key pass!

In other words, key passes also help to show how creative a player is, even if his teammates do not score!

What is a chance created in football?
Chances created are a combination of a player’s key passes and assists. As such, this statistic considers all touches that a player has made to create goal-scoring opportunities for his teammates, regardless of whether a goal is scored or not.
Here is the official definition of a chance created by Opta:

Assists plus Key passes.

This means that both key passes and assists are included in this statistic. It does not matter whether your teammate scores the goal or not from your pass.

Either way, your pass will still be considered in this stat!
https://footballhandbook.com/chances-created-vs-key-passes/#What_is_a_chance_cre

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024