Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephen Dooley 17:11 - Sep 12 with 2880 viewsboromat

Think he deserves his own thread. Since he's been at the club he's always been a nearly player. Showing glimpses but never being confident and consistent enough to hold down a place in the first team.

This season with the drop to League 2 and the change to central midfield he's been brilliant and has a great relationship going with Morley.

I never want to see him on the wing again! Keep it up Dooley

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Stephen Dooley on 17:22 - Sep 12 with 2831 viewsEllDale

He’s not the only player to show a marked a marked improvement.
Perhaps it’s playing at a lower level?
Or because he’s being encouraged to play more positively and not just as part of a project?
Stephen Dooley on 17:46 - Sep 12 with 2767 viewstony_roch975

Great post boromat. As a long-term advocate for Dooley (or rather attempting a balance to the 'all-or-nothing' critiques some posts rely on) I've often been in dispute on here with other posters.

I agree he has benefitted from the drop in leagues (Newby even more so in my opinion), but he has always given 100% and often been far more effective than has sometimes been appreciated at knitting the midfield together - especially this season he is the one always within 10 yards of the ball, ready to slip a short pass to a teammate.

I've noticed this season how much closer (narrower) our m/fielders are playing but that does put demands on the 2 wide strikers to provide cover - something Joe Thompson did brilliantly.

Perhaps, as someone said after the game on Saturday, there's been too much expectations from Dooley's first few games after he signed where his attacking wing play was so effective but having added some crunching tackling to his play he's a real asset.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Stephen Dooley on 17:46 - Sep 12 with 2761 viewsjonahwhereru

Stephen Dooley on 17:22 - Sep 12 by EllDale

Or because he’s being encouraged to play more positively and not just as part of a project?

I think the drop in level is significant in him impacting matches, and the fact he is currently not constantly in and out of the team. I always thought he could make a mark at this level. However have to say that if we were to get promoted I just don’t think he could cut it back in league one.
Call me suspicious but I think he falls into the category where he would have more chance of another contract if the team stayed in L2, rather than if the team got promoted. I can’t help but really scrutinise these types, towards seasons end, when what is better for the individual doesn’t tally with what is best for the club.
I’ve talked myself into thinking I am being unfair.
Keep up the good work SD.
Stephen Dooley on 17:50 - Sep 12 with 2744 viewsD_Alien

Stephen Dooley on 17:22 - Sep 12 by EllDale

Both the drop in level and the positive play are making a difference, but the biggest difference of all is his new-found ability to tackle effectively and win the ball

The biggest frustration before this season was the powder-puff way he'd let the opposition past him and lose out on 60/40 balls

The myth that BBM is even a good coach (let alone manager) needs revising in the light of what Robbie Stockdale is bringing to the game of players we've seen going backwards under the previous regime. If a coach can't improve players, what's he there for?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Stephen Dooley on 17:58 - Sep 12 with 2718 viewsR17ALE

Stephen Dooley on 17:50 - Sep 12 by D_Alien

Both the drop in level and the positive play are making a difference, but the biggest difference of all is his new-found ability to tackle effectively and win the ball

The biggest frustration before this season was the powder-puff way he'd let the opposition past him and lose out on 60/40 balls

The myth that BBM is even a good coach (let alone manager) needs revising in the light of what Robbie Stockdale is bringing to the game of players we've seen going backwards under the previous regime. If a coach can't improve players, what's he there for?

I can't think of one player who has gone backwards under Stockdale.

Conversely, I can't think of one who'd improved under BBM!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Stephen Dooley on 18:19 - Sep 12 with 2660 viewsboromat

Agree with the tackling does feel like he's got more about him in that department but maybe that's also down to the position he now finds himself in. He's no longer as likely to be one on one with fast tricky full backs and wingers but in the centre of the pitch where it's easier to stand up an opponent with team mates usually either side of you and behind you.

I also agree he's not the only one to see an improvement due to the drop in leagues but I think he's probably seen the biggest improvement. And maybe that is compounded by the position change. Newby for example looks much better but I don't think that's as much to do with the drop in League but more to do with the style in play. We're much more direct and it's really suiting him. He's being given the freedom to do whatever he wants to get that ball into dangerous areas.

Stephen Dooley on 18:38 - Sep 12 with 2577 viewsjudd

Same player, different manager.

It's really that simple.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Stephen Dooley on 18:42 - Sep 12 with 2571 viewsrich_dale

Good post and full credit to Stockdale for his part in reinventing him as a central midfielder. He's also benefitted from the confidence of knowing he's now a first X1 choice and it shows.
Login to get fewer ads

Stephen Dooley on 19:37 - Sep 12 with 2420 viewsjonahwhereru

Stephen Dooley on 17:58 - Sep 12 by R17ALE

I can't think of one player who has gone backwards under Stockdale.

Conversely, I can't think of one who'd improved under BBM!

Really. Swiss Army Jimmy went from bit part player under Hill and the early days of BBM. To a player confident enough to turn his hand to any position, score double figures and get voted player of the season, by the time BBM walked.
Think again.
Stephen Dooley on 20:05 - Sep 12 with 2332 viewsEllDale

He might have to play right wingback this week if O'Keeffe is ineligible.
Andy White on the other flank or Matty Done?
Stephen Dooley on 20:10 - Sep 12 with 2304 viewsD_Alien

Stephen Dooley on 20:05 - Sep 12 by EllDale

Shouldn't even be a question

Aidy White has played lwb at a high level, and was brought in to improve us in that position

If he's fit, and SAJ switches wings, he plays

[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 20:11]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Stephen Dooley on 20:22 - Sep 12 with 2258 viewsTVOS1907

Stephen Dooley on 20:05 - Sep 12 by EllDale

Andy White used to post on here.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Stephen Dooley on 20:30 - Sep 12 with 2231 viewsboromat

Stephen Dooley on 20:10 - Sep 12 by D_Alien

Shouldn't even be a question

Aidy White has played lwb at a high level, and was brought in to improve us in that position

If he's fit, and SAJ switches wings, he plays

[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 20:11]

Aidy White looked very good in the Liverpool game think he'd be the better choice. I'd rather see Done up top.

Stephen Dooley on 23:07 - Sep 12 with 1985 viewsR17ALE

Stephen Dooley on 19:37 - Sep 12 by jonahwhereru

Really. Swiss Army Jimmy went from bit part player under Hill and the early days of BBM. To a player confident enough to turn his hand to any position, score double figures and get voted player of the season, by the time BBM walked.
Think again.

You are right. I'd forgotten him. Thank you for your prompt.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Stephen Dooley on 09:09 - Sep 13 with 1634 viewsblackdogblue

Stephen Dooley on 23:07 - Sep 12 by R17ALE

You are right. I'd forgotten him. Thank you for your prompt.

What about R Luke? but agree with the overall comment

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024