Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Look it's just us here.... 14:15 - Sep 23 with 3020 viewsSonicBoom

What do we actually think of womens football?
We are being force fed it all the time now.

These days Sky will cut to a match and get live updates from a womens game whilst the mens games are on. They even include goals from womens games in their goals of the week packages.
The written media all carry womens stories in amongst the mens stuff - and most tv stations carry live games of club and international matches.

From a parental point of view I don't mind it, it's good to promote sport to girls and that can only be a good thing. Also there is no reason women shouldn't play football - and the standard is not too bad.
From the point of view of a grumpy git that started going to football in the bad old days of the early 80's I can't find any enthusiasm. I'm often caught out as they talk about Arsenal V Spurs or whatever and I suddenly realise they are talking about the womens game.
I do think that the womens game is receiving coverage and promotion that it currently doesn't justify. The media are pushing it hard and maybe it will work and bring in viewers and crowds. Obviously the plan is to promote it hard in the hope that at some point in the future it can stand on its merits. I wouldn't presume to say whether this is viable or not, we'll see.
Personally I have very little interest but I'm not the target audience. Maybe we'll look back in 20 years when the women's games are pulling in decent crowds and realise this is where it all started. Or maybe it'll disappear from our screens in 5 years who knows. I know I'm unlikely to be watching either way.
Look it's just us here.... on 14:20 - Sep 23 with 2051 viewssaintwizzler

Watching some of the laydee goalkeepers in action is fûcking comical.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Look it's just us here.... on 14:26 - Sep 23 with 2048 viewsPaleRider

Can't disagree with this. I find the standard considerably lower - especially as the speed of thought and the game as a whole is considerably lower. I enjoyed the women's rugby at the Olympics because the standard looked reasonable but apart from the US women's team the standard of football is pretty poor.

On the other hand, I enjoy watching the highlights of the Saints' women's team. They seem to play fearless football, which they obviously enjoy and I find this a refreshing contrast to Saints' men's teams.

So overall, I can't generate a lot of enthusiasm!
Look it's just us here.... on 14:30 - Sep 23 with 2035 viewsButty101

From what ive seen the standard is pretty awful. I have to girls and they go to after school football club. I guarantee they couldn't name a female footballer but could a men's. I honestly dont think the game will grow as theres just not the interest.
What annoys me more btw is the female commentator's, they are rubbish. Cricket has some very good female commentators, however the football ones are terrible.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Look it's just us here.... on 14:30 - Sep 23 with 2047 viewsSaintNick

I agree with you, I have nothing against the women's game and i hope it flourishes, but I object to it being forced down my throat because it is the pc thing to do.

If I watch a tv game I want pundits to know and have experienced what I am watching, if a player I had never heard of, who had played only for Dagenham & Redbridge started commentating on Premier League games and telling me what the atmosphere would be like in the dressing room I would not be impressed, so I am not impressed when I get a women football player commentating.

I take that back a little in that some are very good and add something, but that is a minority, most are just trying to over elaborate and be very technical to try and justify their position.

I saw an interview with the manager of a Premier League women's team saying that it was only right that the WPL had VAR as the Men's Premier League had it.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Look it's just us here.... on 18:02 - Sep 23 with 1932 viewskingslandstand1

Sorry, I just can't take it seriously or show any enthusiasm for it either, although the quality has apparently improved. I've tried watching it but as said elsewhere the goalkeeping is almost a joke throughout for instance!

I see in USA they are now paying equal monies to both men's and women's players which is incredulous although the women's game over there is taken a lot more seriously

It is also I believe just a lot more box ticking as in all of the other "stuff" ongoing such as tv ads, presenters, pundits (although some are quite good) etc etc that we're not allowed to talk about
[Post edited 23 Sep 2021 18:04]
Look it's just us here.... on 18:58 - Sep 23 with 1852 viewspjt50

Before 1921 - when the FA banned it on Football League grounds - women's football was huge in the UK. 53000 went to a women's game at Goodison in 1920.

It's pointless to compare the standard of women's football with men's. In most sports played by both genders the top men would always beat the top women. Tennis is a prime example. That doesn't mean that women's tennis is somehow an inferior sport to men's. It's just different.

I check how the Saints' women are doing and often watch the highlights. I think they're good ambassadors for the club. I probably wouldn't travel a couple of hundred miles to watch them but I would consider home games — particularly if they reach the WSL.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Look it's just us here.... on 19:06 - Sep 23 with 1837 views1885_SFC

Look it's just us here.... on 14:20 - Sep 23 by saintwizzler

Watching some of the laydee goalkeepers in action is fûcking comical.

I can't stand watching it, but on the odd occasion when I have - women goalkeepers are always worth a right old laugh!

Atrocious... but hysterical.

Old School is Cool

Look it's just us here.... on 20:07 - Sep 23 with 1797 viewsBison

Look it's just us here.... on 14:26 - Sep 23 by PaleRider

Can't disagree with this. I find the standard considerably lower - especially as the speed of thought and the game as a whole is considerably lower. I enjoyed the women's rugby at the Olympics because the standard looked reasonable but apart from the US women's team the standard of football is pretty poor.

On the other hand, I enjoy watching the highlights of the Saints' women's team. They seem to play fearless football, which they obviously enjoy and I find this a refreshing contrast to Saints' men's teams.

So overall, I can't generate a lot of enthusiasm!

The USA women's football team were convincingly beaten by a team of adolescents in a embarrassing defeat for the world champions.

They were roundly outplayed, losing 5-2 against FC Dallas Under-15s academy side who took full advantage of their big day.

https://babylonbee.com/news/15-year-old-boys-soccer-team-demands-equal-pay-for-b

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Login to get fewer ads

Look it's just us here.... on 09:20 - Sep 24 with 1630 viewsSadoldgit

Look it's just us here.... on 18:58 - Sep 23 by pjt50

Before 1921 - when the FA banned it on Football League grounds - women's football was huge in the UK. 53000 went to a women's game at Goodison in 1920.

It's pointless to compare the standard of women's football with men's. In most sports played by both genders the top men would always beat the top women. Tennis is a prime example. That doesn't mean that women's tennis is somehow an inferior sport to men's. It's just different.

I check how the Saints' women are doing and often watch the highlights. I think they're good ambassadors for the club. I probably wouldn't travel a couple of hundred miles to watch them but I would consider home games — particularly if they reach the WSL.

I agree that comparisons are pointless and it should be seen as different. I have watched a few matches on tv and they have been enjoyable even if the quality isn’t there. As for equal pay, I think that is fair enough when the commercial figures add up. If they get the crowds, give them the money. It is no bad thing that women’s football has a higher profile. It needs investment if it is to grow and if kids are going to take up the sport. In American all kids kick footballs around which is as it should be. Women’s football is improving and far from having it “shoved down our throats” we should be encouraging its development. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. We have all played football with a tennis ball or a tin can. Lesser quality doesn’t make anything less worthwhile.
Look it's just us here.... on 09:34 - Sep 24 with 1620 viewssaints__fan__73

Look it's just us here.... on 14:30 - Sep 23 by SaintNick

I agree with you, I have nothing against the women's game and i hope it flourishes, but I object to it being forced down my throat because it is the pc thing to do.

If I watch a tv game I want pundits to know and have experienced what I am watching, if a player I had never heard of, who had played only for Dagenham & Redbridge started commentating on Premier League games and telling me what the atmosphere would be like in the dressing room I would not be impressed, so I am not impressed when I get a women football player commentating.

I take that back a little in that some are very good and add something, but that is a minority, most are just trying to over elaborate and be very technical to try and justify their position.

I saw an interview with the manager of a Premier League women's team saying that it was only right that the WPL had VAR as the Men's Premier League had it.

Last season they had a female player from about a decade ago who had played in the Women's Champions League and they asked her before a CL semi what the pressure was like playing in a CL semi as if her playing in the Women's CL in front of 10 men and a filing cabinet could in some way equate to a global audience of millions watching the men's match. Madness.

Also PC insanity with how the BBC, etc website brings news of the Women's game. They never say 'Man City Women's team' in the headline - just something like 'Man City sign player from Barcelona' which I click on thinking it's about the men's team....

The whole question of equal pay is mental. It should never be happening in tennis. It makes zero sense for the men's and women's champions to get the same prize money, even taking away the 3 set/ 5 set debate. If Wimbledon sold the TV rights, sponsorship, etc to the men's event and women's events in two separate deals rather than all in one does any sane person think the money generated from the women's tournament would be anywhere near the men's??? Of course not. Therefore equal pay is a joke. The men's game is currently subsidising the women's.

Same thing with Rapinoe demanding equal World Cup pay.

For women's football, it would be much better if they used a smaller ball. It currently resembles a men's game being played with a basketball.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Look it's just us here.... on 09:57 - Sep 24 with 1603 viewsJaySaint

It is abysmal. There is not a great deal else to add.
Other than the forced parity is hilarious

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Look it's just us here.... on 10:09 - Sep 24 with 1597 viewspjt50

Look it's just us here.... on 09:34 - Sep 24 by saints__fan__73

Last season they had a female player from about a decade ago who had played in the Women's Champions League and they asked her before a CL semi what the pressure was like playing in a CL semi as if her playing in the Women's CL in front of 10 men and a filing cabinet could in some way equate to a global audience of millions watching the men's match. Madness.

Also PC insanity with how the BBC, etc website brings news of the Women's game. They never say 'Man City Women's team' in the headline - just something like 'Man City sign player from Barcelona' which I click on thinking it's about the men's team....

The whole question of equal pay is mental. It should never be happening in tennis. It makes zero sense for the men's and women's champions to get the same prize money, even taking away the 3 set/ 5 set debate. If Wimbledon sold the TV rights, sponsorship, etc to the men's event and women's events in two separate deals rather than all in one does any sane person think the money generated from the women's tournament would be anywhere near the men's??? Of course not. Therefore equal pay is a joke. The men's game is currently subsidising the women's.

For women's football, it would be much better if they used a smaller ball. It currently resembles a men's game being played with a basketball.

According to ESPN, 20% more viewers watched the women's US Open tennis final than watched the men's.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Look it's just us here.... on 10:11 - Sep 24 with 1593 viewsSonicBoom

I don't think it's fair to blame the BBC for forcing women's football on us. They have a public charter and have to cover all of society where they can. Sky are pushing womens football even more if anything.
I guess they are mixing coverage of womens games in with the mens because otherwise the figures simply wouldn't justify it.
If they are reporting on mens games and then switch across to a women's game then the viewing figures are hidden despite most watching not being the slightest bit interested.

I agree with some of the previous comments where they introduce womens footballers as having played in ten cup finals, or having 150 caps for England. It is absolutely incomparable to men. We're not stupid.
Sky is a commercial company and sooner or later they will have to justify money spent on covering women's football. It's for the same reason they don't cover badminton or show jumping - because it makes no commercial sense.

The womens game does have the capacity to grow and be big as it proving in the US and that is great. More women playing sport can only be good too. I have no problem with any of it - I just have a bit of an issue with the way it's being foisted on us.

As a previous reply said - don't put up headlines saying City have signed a Barcelona player and when you click it's the womens game. All that does is show they are artificially trying to bump up the number of views and surely defeats the object.
Look it's just us here.... on 10:20 - Sep 24 with 1584 views1885_SFC

I'd compare women's football to my disappointment when I watch Channel 4's 'Naked Attraction' and instead of all the coloured pods being full of buxom, naked girls - the single person choosing a date is bisexual & only half the pods contain naked girls. I always get the feeling I've been seen off.

Old School is Cool

Look it's just us here.... on 10:25 - Sep 24 with 1571 viewsgeezershoong1

Just look at some of the regular score lines from the WSL each weekend, lots of 8-0, 10-0 thrashings.

I watched the Everton V Man City match - clearly the Everton team had never had a defensive training session in their lives and it was 5-0 I think at HT.

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

Look it's just us here.... on 10:27 - Sep 24 with 1567 viewsBicester_North

Look it's just us here.... on 09:20 - Sep 24 by Sadoldgit

I agree that comparisons are pointless and it should be seen as different. I have watched a few matches on tv and they have been enjoyable even if the quality isn’t there. As for equal pay, I think that is fair enough when the commercial figures add up. If they get the crowds, give them the money. It is no bad thing that women’s football has a higher profile. It needs investment if it is to grow and if kids are going to take up the sport. In American all kids kick footballs around which is as it should be. Women’s football is improving and far from having it “shoved down our throats” we should be encouraging its development. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. We have all played football with a tennis ball or a tin can. Lesser quality doesn’t make anything less worthwhile.

It’s a different sport as you say, so i can understand why people think it shouldn’t be mixed in with the male version of reporting. It should be reported separately shouldn’t it?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Look it's just us here.... on 10:29 - Sep 24 with 1566 viewsHeisenberg

Look it's just us here.... on 10:25 - Sep 24 by geezershoong1

Just look at some of the regular score lines from the WSL each weekend, lots of 8-0, 10-0 thrashings.

I watched the Everton V Man City match - clearly the Everton team had never had a defensive training session in their lives and it was 5-0 I think at HT.

Mmmm. I can think of a couple of 9 nils in the men’s game. Clearly no defensive training as well.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Look it's just us here.... on 10:31 - Sep 24 with 1564 viewsBicester_North

Look it's just us here.... on 10:29 - Sep 24 by Heisenberg

Mmmm. I can think of a couple of 9 nils in the men’s game. Clearly no defensive training as well.

Mmmm, ha ha you devil! So thought provokingly controversial!

Look it's just us here.... on 11:11 - Sep 24 with 1544 viewsChesham_Saint

Look it's just us here.... on 09:34 - Sep 24 by saints__fan__73

Can't argue with any of that '73.

It's getting increasingly bloody frustrating seeing a headline on the BBC saying "Liverpool (or whoever) thrashed!" alongside an article about say, Lukaku only to find out that the "Liverpool" in question is their ladies' team. It's completely contrived and I would argue detrimental to the women's game to force feed it in this way.

I want women to play and enjoy the game, but trying to shoulder them in as if somehow the standard of their play (or the interest in it ) is equal is just ridiculous. It's like looking up politics to find out the latest news on the last Presidential election to read a headline "challenger caught fvcking pig" only to find out that its not Sleepy Joe having animal fun but Local Councillor Billy-Bob having a family reunion in an Alabaman County Council election!

As for equal pay.. Take tennis - brilliant though the women's game can be, their workload is far less (3 sets max versus 5 for the men) and they should be paid proportionately. The day Man U ladies attract the same crowd as the men's first team is the day they can argue parity.

And as for equating the experience of the ex-captain of XYZ Ladies with say, Roy Keane or Ian Wright. WALOB. You might as well ask the lead in last year's School Nativity to explain the pressure she was under in comparison to Ian McKellan playing Hamlet on Broadway...
[Post edited 24 Sep 2021 11:43]

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Look it's just us here.... on 11:37 - Sep 24 with 1536 viewsSadoldgit

Look it's just us here.... on 10:27 - Sep 24 by Bicester_North

It’s a different sport as you say, so i can understand why people think it shouldn’t be mixed in with the male version of reporting. It should be reported separately shouldn’t it?

Women’s tennis gets reported alongside men’s tennis doesn’t it? Why shouldn’t it be? Just zine out if it doesn’t interest you. I have no interest in boxing which gets heavy media coverage but I just ignore it and focus on the stuff I am interested in. It wasn’t that long ago that women were t allowed to drink in the same bars as men in Australia! Embrace the modern world mate 😉
Look it's just us here.... on 11:49 - Sep 24 with 1499 viewsChesham_Saint

Look it's just us here.... on 11:37 - Sep 24 by Sadoldgit

Women’s tennis gets reported alongside men’s tennis doesn’t it? Why shouldn’t it be? Just zine out if it doesn’t interest you. I have no interest in boxing which gets heavy media coverage but I just ignore it and focus on the stuff I am interested in. It wasn’t that long ago that women were t allowed to drink in the same bars as men in Australia! Embrace the modern world mate 😉

I assume you won't be holidaying in, oh, I don't know, Iraq, any time soon Sogs?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Look it's just us here.... on 12:35 - Sep 24 with 1473 viewsBicester_North

Look it's just us here.... on 11:37 - Sep 24 by Sadoldgit

You said it was totally different, so why if you tune in for one sport advertised on telly or radio, should you watch or listen to a different one?

Look it's just us here.... on 12:41 - Sep 24 with 1464 viewsSadoldgit

Look it's just us here.... on 12:35 - Sep 24 by Bicester_North

You said it was totally different, so why if you tune in for one sport advertised on telly or radio, should you watch or listen to a different one?

It is the same sport. The quality levels are different. Same as tennis. You can’t compare them the same way you compare Saints and Aston Villa say. No one tunes in to a current women’s game expecting to see a Man City type performance. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a value though and it does have an audience and interest is growing. Should we separate all women’s sports reports from men’s? Have a segregated Olympics? I really don’t see a problem.
Look it's just us here.... on 13:54 - Sep 24 with 1427 viewssolent_toffee

Look it's just us here.... on 18:58 - Sep 23 by pjt50

I agree that it is pointless to compare the two games however the media through the pundits continually compare the two. Asking an ex female player to draw on her experience of playing in a Chelsea v City men’s game (an example from Sky’s coverage) is utterly ridiculous. The female game will be watched by a couple of hundred people, the men’s game by 40k in the grounds and millions on tv. No comparison whatsoever.

There is merit to female pundits analysing the men’s game and some are far better than a lot of ex male players. The media need to just drop the like for like stuff because no one is buying into it.
Look it's just us here.... on 14:11 - Sep 24 with 1413 viewsSadoldgit

Look it's just us here.... on 13:54 - Sep 24 by solent_toffee

I agree that it is pointless to compare the two games however the media through the pundits continually compare the two. Asking an ex female player to draw on her experience of playing in a Chelsea v City men’s game (an example from Sky’s coverage) is utterly ridiculous. The female game will be watched by a couple of hundred people, the men’s game by 40k in the grounds and millions on tv. No comparison whatsoever.

There is merit to female pundits analysing the men’s game and some are far better than a lot of ex male players. The media need to just drop the like for like stuff because no one is buying into it.

There are plenty of crap male pundits so why can’t we have crap female pundits too? It has been quite refreshing to see new faces appear. The only way people will improve is to be given air time and eventually the wheat will be sorted from the chaff, although Andy Townsend still makes a living as a pundit. Plenty of women watch football and if this encourages more then surely it is a good thing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024