Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching proper footbal. 19:54 - Sep 29 with 1074 viewsblambo

Went to The Valley last night and watched Bolton stuff Charlton after going a goal behind. I hope they don't sack Nigel Adkins, but it looks likely.
A great night out; £23 a seat, decent pies, 5 goals and NO F-ING VAR.
What's not to like?
The coach to London was only a fiver each way.
I won't be going to St Mary's anytime soon.
Bolton are at Fratton next Month which set me thinking...
Can I buy an 'Away' season ticket for Fratton park and support whoever is playing against Pompey?
Watching proper footbal. on 20:48 - Sep 29 with 1012 viewsSaintsforeverj

Your post sums up why Saints are losing fans. Sat in St Mary's the other day, with empty seats everywhere was a little depressing. But it's understandable. As you say, VAR is spoiling the game, £50 plus tickets are ridiculous, super star players on 100 grand week, who don't show much loyalty etc. Shame you have chosen to watch football in the lower leagues elsewhere, but understand able. Don't think I could watch another team, but the premier League ( and Gao) are rotten.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 20:50]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Watching proper footbal. on 21:45 - Sep 29 with 968 viewsblambo

Yup.
I find it all very sad, but my enthusiasm has gone.
The game has sold its soul to TV.

Take out the foreign owners.
Ban gambling sponsorship and ads.
Take back football for the real fans, not the Sky-subscribers swilling their cans of
'the Official Beer of the Champions League' etc.

But it will never happen.
Money is everything.
Watching proper footbal. on 21:54 - Sep 29 with 961 viewskingslandstand1

Watching proper footbal. on 20:48 - Sep 29 by Saintsforeverj

Your post sums up why Saints are losing fans. Sat in St Mary's the other day, with empty seats everywhere was a little depressing. But it's understandable. As you say, VAR is spoiling the game, £50 plus tickets are ridiculous, super star players on 100 grand week, who don't show much loyalty etc. Shame you have chosen to watch football in the lower leagues elsewhere, but understand able. Don't think I could watch another team, but the premier League ( and Gao) are rotten.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 20:50]

It's almost as if it would be good to go back to our dismal days of 10 - 15 years ago back in the lower divisions. At least there was a belief that we would at least win and we felt like big fish!

Honestly don't want to be there but will be able to provide any chance of actually being seriously competitive in the Prem under the current club stewadship? I can't really see it

The Armstrong(S) situation has actually thrown more confusion about, so much so that even Nick is questioning the club and the way they are dealing with this in his article. It may be a simple "yes he is injured and we are hopeful he'll be back in a couple of weeks" or something,

As you say SFJ, costly seats (and empty ones), Championship players, us fans talking and feeling like this thread and generally a lack of optimism

And you know what, we'll probably go and nick something at the Bridge on Saturday
Watching proper footbal. on 22:17 - Sep 29 with 940 viewsSaintsforeverj

Watching proper footbal. on 21:54 - Sep 29 by kingslandstand1

It's almost as if it would be good to go back to our dismal days of 10 - 15 years ago back in the lower divisions. At least there was a belief that we would at least win and we felt like big fish!

Honestly don't want to be there but will be able to provide any chance of actually being seriously competitive in the Prem under the current club stewadship? I can't really see it

The Armstrong(S) situation has actually thrown more confusion about, so much so that even Nick is questioning the club and the way they are dealing with this in his article. It may be a simple "yes he is injured and we are hopeful he'll be back in a couple of weeks" or something,

As you say SFJ, costly seats (and empty ones), Championship players, us fans talking and feeling like this thread and generally a lack of optimism

And you know what, we'll probably go and nick something at the Bridge on Saturday

Hope so mate. I was at Man City and that was a brilliant performance and I was proud to be a Saints fan that day. But the game has changed. The terrible VAR decision that day summed up what is wrong with the game. Gao as owner, ridiculous ticket prices keeping fans away, everything going digital, a feeling that us fans don't matter are really eroding optimism, enthusiasm and confidence.

And you're right. Some.of the games in the lower leagues were the best times. The promotions and even Hartlepool on a Tuesday night, they had something. The Premier League is a just a rip off and it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. Bumped into a Woking fan after they played Eastleigh the other day. He said he would never support a PL team and much prefers watching honest and proper football. To that, I totally understand. I just can't stop my love for Saints, so stuck with it but totally get the disappearing fans and genuinely, more and more are walking away.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 22:20]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Watching proper footbal. on 22:19 - Sep 29 with 923 viewsPatfromPoole

I was a regular in the away end at Fratton in the mid to late 90’s if Saints didn’t have a game.

Was tremendous fun. Would recommend it.

If the Skates win it’s annoying but nowhere near as painful as a Saints defeat. It they lose, it’s hilarious. Particularly just to watch their remedially-challenged fans.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 13:48]

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Watching proper footbal. on 10:55 - Sep 30 with 751 viewsNewdawn2014

Watching proper footbal. on 22:17 - Sep 29 by Saintsforeverj

Hope so mate. I was at Man City and that was a brilliant performance and I was proud to be a Saints fan that day. But the game has changed. The terrible VAR decision that day summed up what is wrong with the game. Gao as owner, ridiculous ticket prices keeping fans away, everything going digital, a feeling that us fans don't matter are really eroding optimism, enthusiasm and confidence.

And you're right. Some.of the games in the lower leagues were the best times. The promotions and even Hartlepool on a Tuesday night, they had something. The Premier League is a just a rip off and it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. Bumped into a Woking fan after they played Eastleigh the other day. He said he would never support a PL team and much prefers watching honest and proper football. To that, I totally understand. I just can't stop my love for Saints, so stuck with it but totally get the disappearing fans and genuinely, more and more are walking away.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 22:20]

cant stop the love either but the interest is waning.
Watching proper footbal. on 11:05 - Sep 30 with 739 viewssaints__fan__73

Started to support the club in the early 80s in the days of finishing 2nd behind Liverpool and signing Keegan. Other than those early years I can honestly say the most enjoyable two seasons I've had were the two in League 1. That includes the Pochettino/Koeman PL years where we were top half of the table.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Watching proper footbal. on 12:37 - Sep 30 with 709 viewsNumber_58

Watching proper footbal. on 11:05 - Sep 30 by saints__fan__73

Started to support the club in the early 80s in the days of finishing 2nd behind Liverpool and signing Keegan. Other than those early years I can honestly say the most enjoyable two seasons I've had were the two in League 1. That includes the Pochettino/Koeman PL years where we were top half of the table.

We were saying that the other day, but then we thought about all the terrible games, demoralising defeats and awful players we had to endure on the way down to League 1. We got lucky and found a good owner to get us out of the mire in double-quick time, but ask any Coventry, Ipswich or Sunderland fan if it's as appealing as we seem to remember and I'm sure they would have a different opinion.
Login to get fewer ads

Watching proper footbal. on 12:40 - Sep 30 with 704 viewsBicester_North

Watching proper footbal. on 22:19 - Sep 29 by PatfromPoole

I was a regular in the away end at Fratton in the mid to late 90’s if Saints didn’t have a game.

Was tremendous fun. Would recommend it.

If the Skates win it’s annoying but nowhere near as painful as a Saints defeat. It they lose, it’s hilarious. Particularly just to watch their remedially-challenged fans.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 13:48]

Have done this a few times myself when mates who support other clubs get me a ticket and I agree it’s great when they lose and you’re in the pub afterwards listening to them all angry.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Watching proper footbal. on 14:08 - Sep 30 with 626 viewskingslandstand1

Watching proper footbal. on 12:37 - Sep 30 by Number_58

We were saying that the other day, but then we thought about all the terrible games, demoralising defeats and awful players we had to endure on the way down to League 1. We got lucky and found a good owner to get us out of the mire in double-quick time, but ask any Coventry, Ipswich or Sunderland fan if it's as appealing as we seem to remember and I'm sure they would have a different opinion.

I think one of the biggest things I missed in those "halcyon" days was that we were never mentioned in the press (maybe the odd sentence in a summary article about that particular division) or radio, or only if lucky may have seen the odd goal that we scored on the tv although the scores were at least read out!

A bit like how the Skates must be feeling right now so there is some bright news about where we are now
Watching proper footbal. on 18:27 - Sep 30 with 584 viewsblambo

Watching proper footbal. on 21:54 - Sep 29 by kingslandstand1

I am truly surprised by the response to this thread.
I expected to be hugely abused.
As it is, I am relieved to read that I am far from alone.

I also enjoyed our years outside the Prem.
The first Championship match, away at Preston was a taste of things to come.
I loved going to Brentford (albeit they are Prem now).
Who remembers the constant chant of "Paul Wotton, football genius" that night?...

Meeting fans from teams like Hartlepool in the Guide Dog; those times were far from all bad...

Up The Saints!
Out with Gao!
Balls to VAR!
Watching proper footbal. on 18:52 - Sep 30 with 573 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Watching proper footbal. on 10:55 - Sep 30 by Newdawn2014

cant stop the love either but the interest is waning.

This - I actually have no interest in attending now. Supporting from my lounge, yes - maybe the odd away trip one day, but it no longer has any appeal to me to go down to St Marys and mingle with our soccer AM strange fanbase, watching the overhyped premier league circus with ridiculously overpaid players.

I certainly have ZERO interest in watching football matches that don't involve Saints.

There is no defence of the money they get now. £50k per week is £2.6m per year. Add in all the bonuses, sponsorship and so on, it is obscene for what they do. A footballer should be able to earn £2.6m (plus extras) over the course of their career and STILL be set up for life when retiring. ANYWAY ... old ground ...

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024