Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford 17:53 - Nov 1 with 2619 viewsSaintNick

Apparently a Watford fan has complained to the police about homophobic chants, although it doesn't say whether it was Watford or Saints fans he was accusing.

Personally I didn't hear anything untoward from the Saints supporters nor Watofrd for that matter, did anyone else hear anything

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 18:02 - Nov 1 with 2223 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/hertfordshire-n

Looks like a Watford fan upset with some other Watford fans in front of him using homophobic language about one of the Saints players, calling him a rent boy. I assume Livramento because he comes from Chelsea?

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 19:05 - Nov 1 with 2121 viewsChesham_Saint

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 18:02 - Nov 1 by Saintsforeverj

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/hertfordshire-n

Looks like a Watford fan upset with some other Watford fans in front of him using homophobic language about one of the Saints players, calling him a rent boy. I assume Livramento because he comes from Chelsea?

I hate bullying of whatever sort - it’s just plain wrong. But, really?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 19:38 - Nov 1 with 2064 viewsButty101

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 19:05 - Nov 1 by Chesham_Saint

Heartbreaking really - what a tw at

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 19:48 - Nov 1 with 2051 viewsSaintsforeverj

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 19:05 - Nov 1 by Chesham_Saint

Does sound a bit over the top, a fan heartbroken because an opposition player was called a name.

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 20:46 - Nov 1 with 1996 viewscocklebreath

The modern world, what fun.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 22:36 - Nov 1 with 1881 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Chelsea rent boys has been stated as being homophobic (it is) for years, since about 2014 it would seem; https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/07/17/chelsea-rent-boys-football-chant-accused-o

Yes, worse is chanted and yes it is an utter waste of police time, but people really just need to use their common sense. Is it likely to cause offence? Yes, then don't say it.

Football has changed, the world has changed, it's not the 80s anymore, or even the 90s or early 2000s.

It's easier to just sit there and clap politely. Or wave your arms in the arm in case people are deaf.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 08:51 - Nov 2 with 1750 viewsPaleRider

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 22:36 - Nov 1 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Chelsea rent boys has been stated as being homophobic (it is) for years, since about 2014 it would seem; https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/07/17/chelsea-rent-boys-football-chant-accused-o

Yes, worse is chanted and yes it is an utter waste of police time, but people really just need to use their common sense. Is it likely to cause offence? Yes, then don't say it.

Football has changed, the world has changed, it's not the 80s anymore, or even the 90s or early 2000s.

It's easier to just sit there and clap politely. Or wave your arms in the arm in case people are deaf.

I have very simple views of watching football:

1) It is a great opportunity for people to go and let off steam in an environment where it does no harm;
2) If you don't like hearing abuse, swearing etc. then go to the family section - let the grown ups swear and shout somewhere where you won't be offended;
3) There are red lines - racist abuse etc. but this is normally an issue if it is consistent and indiscriminate. In the case at Watford it just sounds as if some snowflake took offence to chants that he knew nothing about.

My worry is twofold:

1) Unacceptable views just move more and more into the underground and become more extreme;
2) Premier League football becomes a very bland experience fit only for the middle classes and tourists. The case of our supporter at Brighton a few years ago is an example. Watching football in Europe is now much more passionate.
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 09:25 - Nov 2 with 1722 viewssolent_toffee

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 08:51 - Nov 2 by PaleRider

I have very simple views of watching football:

1) It is a great opportunity for people to go and let off steam in an environment where it does no harm;
2) If you don't like hearing abuse, swearing etc. then go to the family section - let the grown ups swear and shout somewhere where you won't be offended;
3) There are red lines - racist abuse etc. but this is normally an issue if it is consistent and indiscriminate. In the case at Watford it just sounds as if some snowflake took offence to chants that he knew nothing about.

My worry is twofold:

1) Unacceptable views just move more and more into the underground and become more extreme;
2) Premier League football becomes a very bland experience fit only for the middle classes and tourists. The case of our supporter at Brighton a few years ago is an example. Watching football in Europe is now much more passionate.

I think your second example there is missing the point. The Saints fan used homophobic language, now many people might think it was banter and that he was being funny. But he wasn’t, he was using homophobic language as a direct insult to Brighton fans.

Imagine being a young in the closet gay Saints fan and having to listen to that garbage or any gay Saints fan. There are a million and one things that you can sing at a football match so why choose to go down that route.

It was pathetic to be fair.
Login to get fewer ads

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 09:52 - Nov 2 with 1700 viewsSonicBoom

I think football fans are struggling with the change in society.
BITD we chanted whatever we could think of precisely to rile and upset the opposition fans.
Not every Brighton fan was gay, not every scouser was a thief, not every pompey fan was a caravan dwelling pikey (well most are but that's not the point).
These things we never "true", they we just sung to annoy, insult or take the p.
We also got it back the other way.

These days many fans still know that what they sing isn't "true". It' is basically a wind up.
I doubt any Watford fans seriously believe that Livramento is employed as a male prostitute in a west London borough.

I'm not saying these things are right but in some cases you have to look at the place these insults come from. If someone is shouting racist crap at black players then that is coming from a place of hate. Not really the same as what is said to Livramento.

My original point is that fans now don't really know what to sing at opposition fans or players. Pretty much all songs carried some sort of insult.
I guess we are moving to the US type support where you just support your own team (have you seen the Seattle fans chanting "I believe that we will win" ? ).

In a lot of ways that is better and some of the more unsavoury stuff should be left in the past but let's not pretend football also won't lose something once the tribal rivalry and terrace chanting is subdued.
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 10:36 - Nov 2 with 1668 viewsPaleRider

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 09:25 - Nov 2 by solent_toffee

I think your second example there is missing the point. The Saints fan used homophobic language, now many people might think it was banter and that he was being funny. But he wasn’t, he was using homophobic language as a direct insult to Brighton fans.

Imagine being a young in the closet gay Saints fan and having to listen to that garbage or any gay Saints fan. There are a million and one things that you can sing at a football match so why choose to go down that route.

ST: Point taken - but you need to look at the circumstances. The guy involved was clearly vulnerable himself - that's not to say he was in any way right but ait wasn't malicious and a quiet talking to would have been the right answer. The reaction to the Palace fans' banner about Newcastle's ownership is another example of an over-reaction. People are now too quick to take offence at the slightest thing and the distinction between the unacceptable and the merely crass has now moved too far - in my opinion. if someone calls me a cvnt, I'll just take it on the chin - I won't report them to plod!

I also think that Sonic's point is spot on. I'm not advocating a return to the 1970's but the sanitisation of the game is killing it as a live experience. Many grounds now have large areas that are about as lively as a tea dance. Young males no longer go to games and these are the fans that often create atmosphere but who are less likely to show reticence when shouting.

I went to a game in Germany a couple of years ago and one end was what they called the "Atmosphere Section". That was were there was safe standing, there were banners and lots of chanting (not all of it polite!). We stood in that area and it was reminiscent of watching as an away fan in the Premier League.
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 11:26 - Nov 2 with 1648 viewsSaintNick

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 09:25 - Nov 2 by solent_toffee

This is a very difficult subject to talk about and i reply to this post because you have brought up a very relevant point in your second paragraph.

In an ideal world there would be no abuse, thankfully racist abuse in the main went out of the match attending football fans repertoire many years ago and these days in mainly now either the odd individual and the faceless trolls on social media.

Speaking to a broad range of people I go to football with, most would condemn racist and homophobic abuse, but as some have on here have, would think that isolated incidents such as this should be treated in a quiet way, reporting it to a steward and giving seat numbers, its easy these days if you are offended and they can use CCTV to confirm it.

By highlighting it it can have a counter affect, the taking of a knee is an example in that it has divided opinion as some see it as a political gesture and although they deplore racism they do not like the politics behind it.

Likewise homophobia, 99% of football fans are not homophobic but it is not a subject as easy to define as racism, again most have no problem with what those that are gay, but as JK Rowling found out if you don't agree with people being able to identify as women for example when they are born men then you are liable to get cancelled.

Personally from what i have seen and read the guy left the ground as he was offended and rightly so and reported it to a steward along with the seat number, yet he has chosen to go to the media with it, I can't understand that, let the club deal with it and the police, unless you want to be a target for idiots on social media

But what constitutes homophobic language, or indeed any form of abuse.

As I said ideally there would be no abuse, but historically football is a place where people go to let off steam and abuse has to be taken in context, if I had £1 for everytime I had heard someone called a black b*stard/fat bastard/poof I could buy a house over a season, it's not right but if everyone who let out a politically incorrect comment was banned grounds would be half empty.

I'm trying to get some context on subjects that should be being debated and not be a witch hunt

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 12:26 - Nov 2 with 1602 viewsSonicBoom

I also think the persecution of witches should be banned and hunting them is absolutely unacceptable these days.
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 12:28 - Nov 2 with 1597 viewsChesham_Saint

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 09:52 - Nov 2 by SonicBoom

BITD we chanted whatever we could think of precisely to rile and upset the opposition fans.
Not every Brighton fan was gay, not every scouser was a thief, not every pompey fan was a caravan dwelling pikey (well most are but that's not the point).

These days many fans still know that what they sing isn't "true". It' is basically a wind up.
I doubt any Watford fans seriously believe that Livramento is employed as a male prostitute in a west London borough.

I'm not saying these things are right but in some cases you have to look at the place these insults come from. If someone is shouting racist crap at black players then that is coming from a place of hate. Not really the same as what is said to Livramento.

My original point is that fans now don't really know what to sing at opposition fans or players. Pretty much all songs carried some sort of insult.
I guess we are moving to the US type support where you just support your own team (have you seen the Seattle fans chanting "I believe that we will win" ? ).

In a lot of ways that is better and some of the more unsavoury stuff should be left in the past but let's not pretend football also won't lose something once the tribal rivalry and terrace chanting is subdued.

I always think irony of the insult of “you fvcking vvanker” is somewhat lost on the great unwashed hordes….🧐

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 12:47 - Nov 2 with 1580 viewsSadoldgit

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 12:26 - Nov 2 by SonicBoom

I also think the persecution of witches should be banned and hunting them is absolutely unacceptable these days.

I do know a couple of witches and they are very nice people.
Re the point that football is slow to catch up with the real world, totally agree with that. I have watched some old 70’s stuff on YouTube recently and am amazed how much the world has moved on. The Benny Hill Show would never be made now along with Dick Emery and the others. There is nothing wrong with letting off steam and winding up the opposition, but I think we know now that there needs to be a better understanding of what now constitutes ok and not ok. Unlike other sports gay footballers are not coming out. You can only assume that is because they are worried about the grief they will get from the terraces. People have always gone to football to let off steam, but when you watch the old newsreels the fans all mingled together, enjoyed the shared experience and seem to have a healthy respect for their rivals. At some point, and I am making a huge assumption here in thinking it was the growth of the youth culture in the 60’s, it started to become tribal and very nasty. That hasn’t gone away.
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 14:00 - Nov 2 with 1532 viewsBazza

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 12:47 - Nov 2 by Sadoldgit

I do know a couple of witches and they are very nice people.
Re the point that football is slow to catch up with the real world, totally agree with that. I have watched some old 70’s stuff on YouTube recently and am amazed how much the world has moved on. The Benny Hill Show would never be made now along with Dick Emery and the others. There is nothing wrong with letting off steam and winding up the opposition, but I think we know now that there needs to be a better understanding of what now constitutes ok and not ok. Unlike other sports gay footballers are not coming out. You can only assume that is because they are worried about the grief they will get from the terraces. People have always gone to football to let off steam, but when you watch the old newsreels the fans all mingled together, enjoyed the shared experience and seem to have a healthy respect for their rivals. At some point, and I am making a huge assumption here in thinking it was the growth of the youth culture in the 60’s, it started to become tribal and very nasty. That hasn’t gone away.

Be good if the refs wore a microphone, I think the players seem to get away with a lot of foul abusive comments to players and the ref. Not good role models, except for taking the knee of course
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 14:39 - Nov 2 with 1510 viewssaints__fan__73

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 11:26 - Nov 2 by SaintNick

This is a very difficult subject to talk about and i reply to this post because you have brought up a very relevant point in your second paragraph.

In an ideal world there would be no abuse, thankfully racist abuse in the main went out of the match attending football fans repertoire many years ago and these days in mainly now either the odd individual and the faceless trolls on social media.

Speaking to a broad range of people I go to football with, most would condemn racist and homophobic abuse, but as some have on here have, would think that isolated incidents such as this should be treated in a quiet way, reporting it to a steward and giving seat numbers, its easy these days if you are offended and they can use CCTV to confirm it.

By highlighting it it can have a counter affect, the taking of a knee is an example in that it has divided opinion as some see it as a political gesture and although they deplore racism they do not like the politics behind it.

Likewise homophobia, 99% of football fans are not homophobic but it is not a subject as easy to define as racism, again most have no problem with what those that are gay, but as JK Rowling found out if you don't agree with people being able to identify as women for example when they are born men then you are liable to get cancelled.

Personally from what i have seen and read the guy left the ground as he was offended and rightly so and reported it to a steward along with the seat number, yet he has chosen to go to the media with it, I can't understand that, let the club deal with it and the police, unless you want to be a target for idiots on social media

But what constitutes homophobic language, or indeed any form of abuse.

As I said ideally there would be no abuse, but historically football is a place where people go to let off steam and abuse has to be taken in context, if I had £1 for everytime I had heard someone called a black b*stard/fat bastard/poof I could buy a house over a season, it's not right but if everyone who let out a politically incorrect comment was banned grounds would be half empty.

I'm trying to get some context on subjects that should be being debated and not be a witch hunt

"Likewise homophobia, 99% of football fans are not homophobic "

Love how you drop these figures in Nick! Where did that one come from?

Would Solent Toffee agree?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 14:53 - Nov 2 with 1501 viewsExBaselSaint

FFS
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 15:28 - Nov 2 with 1479 viewsChesham_Saint

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 14:39 - Nov 2 by saints__fan__73

"Likewise homophobia, 99% of football fans are not homophobic "

Love how you drop these figures in Nick! Where did that one come from?

Would Solent Toffee agree?

Perhaps Nick should say 99% of his acquaintances? I’d say that’s a fair assessment of most people I know. But that said, someone who can be so heavily effected by hearing a slur (or whatever nature) is probably best not attending certain rowdy events of for that matter going to certain countries..?

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 15:58 - Nov 2 with 1464 viewssolent_toffee

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 15:28 - Nov 2 by Chesham_Saint

Perhaps Nick should say 99% of his acquaintances? I’d say that’s a fair assessment of most people I know. But that said, someone who can be so heavily effected by hearing a slur (or whatever nature) is probably best not attending certain rowdy events of for that matter going to certain countries..?

Surely there’s a choice between going to a particular country where you feel you aren’t welcome (of which there are a fair I choose to swerve) than attending a football match and avoiding certain abuse of the crowd, whether it’s aimed at you or not.

Going back to Nicks original points I agree that the overwhelming vast majority of football and society aren’t homophobic, racist, sexist etc. I also feel that people get too wound up about they are allowed or not allowed to say in ‘this day and age’. When the reality is that you shouldn’t be waiting to be told how to behave towards people or language to use - hopefully in years to come people will understand how to talk to each other without feeling the need to tread on eggshells.
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 16:40 - Nov 2 with 1440 viewsSaintsforeverj

Where we draw the line is the question. Nick and others who were at the game Saturday will know, that every time the Watford GK took a goal kick, the Saints fans all built up to "You fat bast@d". So how many overweight people were offended by that? The GK wasn't even fat. Was that wrong or was it just football banter? I have a few overweight family members, but the chant didn't offend me in the slightest. Some of the people chanting it, were fat themselves! So do we say those people hate fat people? They don't, they just wanted to put off the GK. What about "You Skate bast@d" or last night the Wolves fans (could have been Everton fans maybe!)were chanting "fat Spanish waitor" to Benitez. Is that not racist ? If you were Spanish in the crowd, would you think the crowd hates Spanish people? Or if you work as a waitor would you feel upset?

The rent boy comments, well the fans saying it probably have gay family members and friends and aren't even homophobic. They could be, but most likely is they said it to rile an opposition player. If calling an opposition player pineapple head or posh upset the player, they would probably say that too. Ok, it's wrong but they are probably just immature attention seeking loud mouths but homophobic? Maybe but I doubt it. And this is where the discussion arises. Are 2500 Saints fans anti fat people? Of course not. It's just a football chant.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2021 16:43]

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 17:29 - Nov 2 with 1405 viewsdirk_doone

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 09:52 - Nov 2 by SonicBoom

"We also got it back the other way."

That made me laugh even more than Ted Bates' statue.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 09:59 - Nov 3 with 1277 viewsSaintNick

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 15:58 - Nov 2 by solent_toffee

Surely there’s a choice between going to a particular country where you feel you aren’t welcome (of which there are a fair I choose to swerve) than attending a football match and avoiding certain abuse of the crowd, whether it’s aimed at you or not.

Going back to Nicks original points I agree that the overwhelming vast majority of football and society aren’t homophobic, racist, sexist etc. I also feel that people get too wound up about they are allowed or not allowed to say in ‘this day and age’. When the reality is that you shouldn’t be waiting to be told how to behave towards people or language to use - hopefully in years to come people will understand how to talk to each other without feeling the need to tread on eggshells.

That was my point the vast majority of people in society are not homophobic, racist, sexist etc. Football these days is a lot more pleasant a place than it was 40 years ago or even 20 for that matter.

I agree that you should be able to attend football matches without the fear of abuse of that kind and in the main there is none, even when we play Brighton it has died down.

What concerns me about the Watford allegations are the circumstances why would 4 Watford fans be chanting abuse at Tino Valentino, I know it was about rent boys, but Chelsea Rent boys as an insult is very 1980's and not in use much today, the abuse was from the opposite end from us , it was from "season ticket holders taking two seats between four, consistently swearing and being a nuisance"

Now whilst this behaviour iso far is unacceptable it was in the Rookery that is the Watford designated singing area, the area where you only go in if you are happy to have to stand up and make a noise, if we complained every time those around us swore then the ground would be empty by half time.

Playing devils advocate here, why would they pick on a player for being a rent boy, although we now know and love Tino Livramento we had never heard of him 3 months ago, I couldn't name you Watford's full backs on Saturday nor their previous teams, why should these four people have taken up abusing an unknown player in an opposition team that have no real rivalry with Watford ?

The complainant says he spoke to the stewards who said they could or wouldn't do nothing, perhaps he is right, but these days they usually go straight to the CCTV and monitor those in the crowd that complaints are made against and then decide what action needs taking.

Despite criticising the stewards for doing nothing he then went on to say to the paper "the deputy steward on site was “incredibly helpful” and that the work of the Proud Hornets is “more important than ever”.

So the stewards were helpful, he was just hacked off that they didn't storm in straight away and baton charge the four offenders

I am not saying this incident didn't happen as claimed, but the complainant didn't take it up with the club, he went straight to twitter and got the cause taken up.

Whilst i agree that even one racist or homophobic comment is not acceptable this is not an ideal world, it happens, it needs to be dealt with on the bigger picture not just individual comments, I don't know what happens, but when I hear abuse I usually find it's isolated and those using it have just got carried away in the heat of the moment and utter a comment that is not acceptable.

Solent Toffee is right at the moment everyone is treading on eggshells, personally I feel that the current climate is dividing people not uniting them whether it is racist comments or homophobic, I find people who would not dream of making a racist remark, being annoyed because of the taking the knee situation.

LGBTQ is a few years behind racism in educating society and is a more complex subject in many ways, it is about educating the masses and football has taken big strides in that respect, at St Mary's i see a lot of rainbow colours and I know a lot of gay fans, but then i feel that we have always been a city that has accepted those of a different colour or different way of life into the community and not alienated them

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 10:03 - Nov 3 with 1272 viewsgeezershoong1

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 14:00 - Nov 2 by Bazza

Be good if the refs wore a microphone, I think the players seem to get away with a lot of foul abusive comments to players and the ref. Not good role models, except for taking the knee of course

Can you clarify how taking the knee has changed anything?

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 11:07 - Nov 3 with 1239 viewssolent_toffee

Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 09:59 - Nov 3 by SaintNick

That was my point the vast majority of people in society are not homophobic, racist, sexist etc. Football these days is a lot more pleasant a place than it was 40 years ago or even 20 for that matter.

I agree that you should be able to attend football matches without the fear of abuse of that kind and in the main there is none, even when we play Brighton it has died down.

What concerns me about the Watford allegations are the circumstances why would 4 Watford fans be chanting abuse at Tino Valentino, I know it was about rent boys, but Chelsea Rent boys as an insult is very 1980's and not in use much today, the abuse was from the opposite end from us , it was from "season ticket holders taking two seats between four, consistently swearing and being a nuisance"

Now whilst this behaviour iso far is unacceptable it was in the Rookery that is the Watford designated singing area, the area where you only go in if you are happy to have to stand up and make a noise, if we complained every time those around us swore then the ground would be empty by half time.

Playing devils advocate here, why would they pick on a player for being a rent boy, although we now know and love Tino Livramento we had never heard of him 3 months ago, I couldn't name you Watford's full backs on Saturday nor their previous teams, why should these four people have taken up abusing an unknown player in an opposition team that have no real rivalry with Watford ?

The complainant says he spoke to the stewards who said they could or wouldn't do nothing, perhaps he is right, but these days they usually go straight to the CCTV and monitor those in the crowd that complaints are made against and then decide what action needs taking.

Despite criticising the stewards for doing nothing he then went on to say to the paper "the deputy steward on site was “incredibly helpful” and that the work of the Proud Hornets is “more important than ever”.

So the stewards were helpful, he was just hacked off that they didn't storm in straight away and baton charge the four offenders

I am not saying this incident didn't happen as claimed, but the complainant didn't take it up with the club, he went straight to twitter and got the cause taken up.

Whilst i agree that even one racist or homophobic comment is not acceptable this is not an ideal world, it happens, it needs to be dealt with on the bigger picture not just individual comments, I don't know what happens, but when I hear abuse I usually find it's isolated and those using it have just got carried away in the heat of the moment and utter a comment that is not acceptable.

Solent Toffee is right at the moment everyone is treading on eggshells, personally I feel that the current climate is dividing people not uniting them whether it is racist comments or homophobic, I find people who would not dream of making a racist remark, being annoyed because of the taking the knee situation.

LGBTQ is a few years behind racism in educating society and is a more complex subject in many ways, it is about educating the masses and football has taken big strides in that respect, at St Mary's i see a lot of rainbow colours and I know a lot of gay fans, but then i feel that we have always been a city that has accepted those of a different colour or different way of life into the community and not alienated them

Your last paragraph is spot on Nick. LGBTQ awareness/support whatever you want call it in society and football in particular is years behind the tackling of racism.

But what I love about the city of Southampton is as a city we don’t bury our heads with the issues and will always look to bring it out into the public forum. For a small(ish) city it is massively diverse and generally welcoming.

Saints themselves were light years ahead of other clubs with the Racism Just Ain’t Saintly - Show Racism The Red Card, the text message service they brought in about 15 years ago etc.
Homophobic Chants Reported At Watford on 11:46 - Nov 3 with 1204 viewsSonicBoom

We even let scousers in......
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024