Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salisu 20:51 - Nov 5 with 1889 viewsRon11

FFS stop passing it back to McCarthy
Salisu on 20:57 - Nov 5 with 1871 viewssaint22

Or at least look first!!
Salisu on 22:31 - Nov 5 with 1776 views1885_SFC

McCarthy - for whatever reason - is far too nonchalant for my liking.

Old School is Cool

Salisu on 00:06 - Nov 6 with 1668 viewsSadoldgit

Salisu on 22:31 - Nov 5 by 1885_SFC

McCarthy - for whatever reason - is far too nonchalant for my liking.

He doesn’t seem comfortable with the ball at his feet which is not surprising as when he started as a goalkeeper they weren’t supposed to be footballers too. I don’t think he is a poor keeper but he does give me the willies when he tries to play football.
Salisu on 00:43 - Nov 6 with 1645 viewsdirk_doone

I don't see any point to passing the ball around at the back. It might waste a bit of time but other than that, it just makes us look jittery and encourages the opposition. It wasn't just Salisu: all of our players were looking to pass back after their half-time talk, even Livramento who looked very uncomfortable having to looks backwards for his second half passes and got dispossessed a couple of times as a consequence. Fortunately, Villa, like Leeds, were rubbish and didn't take advantage of it.

Ultimately though, we won and I guess that is good enough justification for whatever Ralph told the players at half-time.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 0:47]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Salisu on 10:48 - Nov 7 with 1489 viewsSaintNick

Salisu on 00:06 - Nov 6 by Sadoldgit

He doesn’t seem comfortable with the ball at his feet which is not surprising as when he started as a goalkeeper they weren’t supposed to be footballers too. I don’t think he is a poor keeper but he does give me the willies when he tries to play football.

McCarthy is about to turn 32 the back pass rule came in around 1992, so he would have been too young to play in games pre back pass rule, he would have been coached from an early age about using his feet.

McCarthy has spent most of his career as a number 2 keeper, he just hasn't had enough practice, this is his 14th season since his league debut, he has only amassed 260 League games in that time.

112 of them have been in the past 4 1/2 seasons with us, he just hasn't got the experience and it is a flaw in his game that probably tells the story of why he has rarely ever been a true number 1 keeper

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Salisu on 11:22 - Nov 7 with 1464 viewssaintwizzler

Salisu on 10:48 - Nov 7 by SaintNick

McCarthy is about to turn 32 the back pass rule came in around 1992, so he would have been too young to play in games pre back pass rule, he would have been coached from an early age about using his feet.

McCarthy has spent most of his career as a number 2 keeper, he just hasn't had enough practice, this is his 14th season since his league debut, he has only amassed 260 League games in that time.

112 of them have been in the past 4 1/2 seasons with us, he just hasn't got the experience and it is a flaw in his game that probably tells the story of why he has rarely ever been a true number 1 keeper

He is an accident waiting to happen.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Salisu on 11:58 - Nov 7 with 1437 viewsdirk_doone

Salisu on 10:48 - Nov 7 by SaintNick

When you look at McCarthy's career before he came here, there was nothing whatsoever to indicate he'd be a first choice Premier League goallkeeper. His reflexes always looked a fraction of a second too slow. and, of course, he's always had that glaring weakness at the near post. He appeared to find his level at Yeovil. But, to his credit, he's started to keep a few clean sheets for us, although one was due to Walker-Peters clearing off the line after McCarthy was beaten at his near post yet again:

Youth career
Wimbledon
—2006 Wycombe Wanderers
2006—2007 Reading
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2007—2014 Reading 70 (0)
2007 → Woking (loan) 1 (0)
2008 → Cambridge United (loan) 1 (0)
2008 → Team Bath (loan) 2 (0)
2009 → Aldershot Town (loan) 4 (0)
2009—2010 → Yeovil Town (loan) 44 (0)
2010 → Brentford (loan) 3 (0)
2011—2012 → Leeds United (loan) 6 (0)
2012 → Ipswich Town (loan) 10 (0)
2014—2015 Queens Park Rangers 3 (0)
2015—2016 Crystal Palace 7 (0)
[Post edited 7 Nov 2021 12:09]

Salisu on 12:14 - Nov 7 with 1423 viewsKriSaint

I agree with all comments. Clearly, he has been instructed to be more pro-active both inside and outside his box and - among other things - take more part in passing the ball around at the back, and I do think he has improved a little, BUT... he is still far from being good at it.
To me he hasn't got a real 'goalkeeper personality'. I have met him and , oddly, he strikes me as a more than average shy kind of guy. And that's of course the reason why we almost never see him shouting and commanding.

That said, 5 clean sheets in 11 is good, and, hopefully, Frasers good performances in the League Cup has taught McCarthy that he simply needs to step up and give better performances to keep his place in the team.
I'm still angry that Maxwell Cornet so easily scored that 2-2 goal. McC wasn't concentrated!!!! For f*cks sake.
Login to get fewer ads

Salisu on 14:20 - Nov 7 with 1383 viewssaint22

Salisu on 11:22 - Nov 7 by saintwizzler

Exactly this
Plus it’s not just simple passing he struggles with his kicking his awful
Salisu on 06:18 - Nov 21 with 1173 viewssaintwizzler

Salisu on 11:22 - Nov 7 by saintwizzler

Don’t like saying I told you so, but…

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Salisu on 10:21 - Nov 21 with 1070 viewsdirk_doone

Salisu on 11:58 - Nov 7 by dirk_doone

When you look at McCarthy's career before he came here, there was nothing whatsoever to indicate he'd be a first choice Premier League goallkeeper. His reflexes always looked a fraction of a second too slow. and, of course, he's always had that glaring weakness at the near post. He appeared to find his level at Yeovil. But, to his credit, he's started to keep a few clean sheets for us, although one was due to Walker-Peters clearing off the line after McCarthy was beaten at his near post yet again:

Youth career
Wimbledon
—2006 Wycombe Wanderers
2006—2007 Reading
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2007—2014 Reading 70 (0)
2007 → Woking (loan) 1 (0)
2008 → Cambridge United (loan) 1 (0)
2008 → Team Bath (loan) 2 (0)
2009 → Aldershot Town (loan) 4 (0)
2009—2010 → Yeovil Town (loan) 44 (0)
2010 → Brentford (loan) 3 (0)
2011—2012 → Leeds United (loan) 6 (0)
2012 → Ipswich Town (loan) 10 (0)
2014—2015 Queens Park Rangers 3 (0)
2015—2016 Crystal Palace 7 (0)
[Post edited 7 Nov 2021 12:09]

His glaring weakness at the near post costs us yet again.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024