Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... 07:24 - Nov 9 with 1221 viewsblambo

My wife is hardly a footballing Genius, but every time she watches Saints she asks me the same question:- "Why do Saints defend corners with all of their players in their penalty box?' When they clear the ball, it always goes to the other side who continue their attack and Saints don't get to hit them on the break".
I have no answer for her!
This is a 'Ralph thing' but not just a Ralph thing.
What is it with Saints Managers that they do this FFS?
Makes me feel I am watching school-boy football and does NOTHING for the entertainment value of the game.
Put 2 fast men on halfway; even Villa did that (for a while at least).
The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 07:47 - Nov 9 with 1185 viewsTripleNiemi

Do you reside in the Northam per chance? The guy near to me has been saying the exact same thing for years......

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 09:08 - Nov 9 with 1115 viewsBenali_Saint

Totally agree, been saying it for years.
The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 10:51 - Nov 9 with 1056 viewsdirk_doone

From what I've seen, when the oppsoition are defending a corner and they leave one man up front, we pull 2 men and sometimes even 3 back to defend against him. So, it's obviously an effective form of defence.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 11:13 - Nov 9 with 1041 viewsSaintNick

The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 09:08 - Nov 9 by Benali_Saint

Totally agree, been saying it for years.

I must admit I thought the same, but I think it is tactical, if we stick a man on the half way line then two people mark him, whereas if we drop back they leave one man back and it gives us a chance to break and catch them on the hop

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 11:22 - Nov 9 with 1032 viewsSadoldgit

The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 11:13 - Nov 9 by SaintNick

I must admit I thought the same, but I think it is tactical, if we stick a man on the half way line then two people mark him, whereas if we drop back they leave one man back and it gives us a chance to break and catch them on the hop

My thoughts too. You can break in numbers whilst still having numbers behind the ball should the counter attack break down.
The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 12:50 - Nov 9 with 983 viewsTimSaint

It has been a Saints trait for ages !!

Even under Koeman, we all said leave Mane on the half way line when we are defending a corner. He is quick, can give us an outlet and let's face it, he isn't going to win many headers !!

TimSaint

The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 17:29 - Nov 9 with 890 viewssaint901

I think we see an opposition corner as a chance to break quickly and try to outnumber the defenders?

If we left one or two players on the half way line, the opposition would put two/three/four back meaning a break is less likely.

It might also be a tactic to put as many bodies into our box for an opposition corner to deny the attackers space and just to make it more difficult for attackers to get a clean contact? That would be one way to counter a team with a lot of tall players?
The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 18:55 - Nov 9 with 825 viewsBison

My wife gets confused when we play away , especially against teams that play in Red. She has many times cheered the wrong goal.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Login to get fewer ads

The thing I would most like to see change at Saints... on 21:44 - Nov 9 with 732 viewsKennington

Assumed it’s because we’ve been awful in general at defending for so long it’s all hands on deck type of attitude for corners. Statistically hardly any goals are ever scored as a result of a corner so it’s probably a good idea to not have everyone back.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024