Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alex Hales 10:07 - Nov 19 with 5702 viewskingslandstand1

In the hope that this thread if it expands remains sensible, but I've just heard that AH is now being "investigated" because he "blacked up" at a FANCY DRESS party in 2009!

I mean ffs, where are we going with all of this or am I just being completely ignorant? As a nipper I once went to a kiddies birthday party as an Indian (sorry, Native American) complete with tomahawk and mum made headdress so does that make me some kind of bad guy?

I really do wonder where this country is going, becoming a complete nanny state to the woke brigade
Alex Hales on 10:25 - Nov 19 with 3584 viewssaint901

Certainly seems to be a generational thing.

My Dad (90 and counting) makes statements that my children (21 to 27) find shocking and unacceptable.

Arguments made to them that society is not a static thing but develops (or regresses depending on your view) and as such remarks, actions and practices have to be placed in context, cut absolutely no ice with them. To my kids, "if it's wrong today, it was always wrong" is their mantra.

Take the slavery issue. Was it wrong to kidnap people, transport them thousands of miles in appalling conditions, work them to death and buy and sell them as property? Absolutely it was. Were the British the first or the only people to do this? Absolutely not. The Roman empire was built on slaves, tens of thousands of whom were trained to be gladiators for the entertainment of the masses.

Did the Romans do wrong? Yes they did. Are protesters calling for the ancient Rome to be pulled down? No. Why not?

I also confess that I tend to keep my views on the "woke" issue largely to myself because frankly it's a minefield. The woke brigade love to exaggerate and take comments out of context in order to show that a 60 something year old man is racist/homophobic/sexist (and yes I hold doors open for women and give up my seat for them).

I'm none of those things and before I learned to keep quiet and give these people nothing to bite on, I wonder what those shouting down my views actually get out of it? Does it make them feel good? Do they think that they are advancing a multicultural, multiethnic, multifaith society or are they just playing to the choir?
Alex Hales on 10:31 - Nov 19 with 3578 viewssaints__fan__73

Judging behavior in the past by today's standards seems to be the norm now. I guess it's only a matter of time before Henry VIII is cancelled.

When I was at uni me and 3 mates came 2nd in the University rag week fancy dress competition when we went as the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse. We lost to 4 white guys in suits who came as the Four Tops. They had black tights over their faces and pink foam lips.

If any of them were in high profile positions now I would imagine they would be preparing to be sacked.

They did look amazing though. They even had a cassette player playing 'Going Loco'.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Alex Hales on 10:54 - Nov 19 with 3531 viewskingslandstand1

Alex Hales on 10:31 - Nov 19 by saints__fan__73

Judging behavior in the past by today's standards seems to be the norm now. I guess it's only a matter of time before Henry VIII is cancelled.

When I was at uni me and 3 mates came 2nd in the University rag week fancy dress competition when we went as the 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse. We lost to 4 white guys in suits who came as the Four Tops. They had black tights over their faces and pink foam lips.

If any of them were in high profile positions now I would imagine they would be preparing to be sacked.

They did look amazing though. They even had a cassette player playing 'Going Loco'.

Cassette player! What's that? ......................

As 901 said (implied) below, it is clearly a generational thing and I have no problems with that, providing those other generations listen to the opinions of others rather than just believe they are always the correct ones no matter what. I believe this current climate is creating diversity rather than a society where everyone can live harmoniously

I also generally keep quiet, particularly on twitter, with personal views on some of the things happening now as you just don't know where it will end up with extremists from all ends looking for a fight

I was glad though that those M25 Eco's or whatever they are, will spend there Christmas eating porridge rather than turkey though, I just wish they were eating their Easter eggs in the same place. I think the judge summed it up when she said protests and inconvenience are ok up to a point, but there is a line that must not be crossed and they did causing horrendous disruption to many others
Alex Hales on 11:55 - Nov 19 with 3481 viewssolent_toffee

In the mid nineties me and my mates went to a Butlins weekend (absolute carnage, but that’s another story). Several of my mates went dressed as Killer Zombie Pimps from a film called Hollywood Shuffle, complete with ‘blacked up’ faces. At the time it seemed funny but not looks completely inappropriate and embarrassing. Is it a generational thing or do we now know better.

Growing up the local shop by ours was known locally the P*** shop, completely out of order, but literally 99% of the locals called it that. How did that make the owners and their family feel? Included? Absolutely not, they were from Indian origin for starters.

This whole debate is very uncomfortable but necessary. Everyone has the right to be included, not tolerated or put with, but to live their life as they see fit.
Alex Hales on 11:56 - Nov 19 with 3479 viewsSadoldgit

The world has changed. It is no bad thing that people are expected to be more respectful of others now. Taking the piss out of people just because they are Asian, black, gay or whatever was never okay but it was the norm. It isn’t now which is the way it should be. The trouble is if you stand up for decent behaviour you get called “woke” or a “snowflake”.
Alex Hales on 13:41 - Nov 19 with 3366 viewsButty101

Alex Hales on 11:55 - Nov 19 by solent_toffee

In the mid nineties me and my mates went to a Butlins weekend (absolute carnage, but that’s another story). Several of my mates went dressed as Killer Zombie Pimps from a film called Hollywood Shuffle, complete with ‘blacked up’ faces. At the time it seemed funny but not looks completely inappropriate and embarrassing. Is it a generational thing or do we now know better.

Growing up the local shop by ours was known locally the P*** shop, completely out of order, but literally 99% of the locals called it that. How did that make the owners and their family feel? Included? Absolutely not, they were from Indian origin for starters.

This whole debate is very uncomfortable but necessary. Everyone has the right to be included, not tolerated or put with, but to live their life as they see fit.

Why does it feel embarrassing? I actually dont get why Alex hales should apologise. Who is he offending for the that fancy dress really. I suspect its more people have been told they should feel offended.
The movie white chicks is still on Sky. Should i feel offended by this becuase i dont.

I totally agree that using the P*** word is offensive. Interestingly theres a great pic of Rafiq doing the rounds wearing a top with the slogan P*** power. Which i dont get as this is offensive to him.

Edit I also dont think Rafiq should pulled over the coals for his comments on jews. Its banter calling someone tight. Im orignally from the IOW - the amount of incest joke ive had over the years....
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 13:46]

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Alex Hales on 13:55 - Nov 19 with 3351 viewsBison

Soldier apologises for insensitive camo. He said ' I realise now the offence I could of caused and just took my chances on getting shot'

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Alex Hales on 16:07 - Nov 19 with 3264 viewsRednWight

Does any actor who’s played Othello now have to apologise ?

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Login to get fewer ads

Alex Hales on 16:12 - Nov 19 with 3255 viewssaints__fan__73

If a speed limit on a road gets reduced from 60mph to 40mph do we now go back and prosecute anyone dong more than 40 over the past 20 years?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Alex Hales on 16:35 - Nov 19 with 3232 viewsdwayne_dibley

So is Ghenghis Khan about to be cancelled or does his "ethnic" origin cancel out the cancellation?

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Alex Hales on 16:59 - Nov 19 with 3206 viewsbarry_sanchez

Alex Hales on 11:56 - Nov 19 by Sadoldgit

The world has changed. It is no bad thing that people are expected to be more respectful of others now. Taking the piss out of people just because they are Asian, black, gay or whatever was never okay but it was the norm. It isn’t now which is the way it should be. The trouble is if you stand up for decent behaviour you get called “woke” or a “snowflake”.

You are woke and a snowflake, only pick easy target like white male anglo saxon protestants, that is where your faux outrage starts and stops, mention Rotherham and you call people Islamophobe in an attempt to shut down debate, the go to from a liberal is if you don't like the debate it gets closed down via the old phobe or race card, its sad and pathetic, the BBC lost its best over this (Marr today), it will continue.
The right to challenge and if offence is caused through that must be allowed to continue if its warranted.
You simply want parallel lives and 5 0'clock apartheid, multiculturism is a failed word for failure to integrate and challenge.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Alex Hales on 18:22 - Nov 19 with 3134 viewsGasGiant

Alex Hales on 10:25 - Nov 19 by saint901

Certainly seems to be a generational thing.

My Dad (90 and counting) makes statements that my children (21 to 27) find shocking and unacceptable.

Arguments made to them that society is not a static thing but develops (or regresses depending on your view) and as such remarks, actions and practices have to be placed in context, cut absolutely no ice with them. To my kids, "if it's wrong today, it was always wrong" is their mantra.

Take the slavery issue. Was it wrong to kidnap people, transport them thousands of miles in appalling conditions, work them to death and buy and sell them as property? Absolutely it was. Were the British the first or the only people to do this? Absolutely not. The Roman empire was built on slaves, tens of thousands of whom were trained to be gladiators for the entertainment of the masses.

Did the Romans do wrong? Yes they did. Are protesters calling for the ancient Rome to be pulled down? No. Why not?

I also confess that I tend to keep my views on the "woke" issue largely to myself because frankly it's a minefield. The woke brigade love to exaggerate and take comments out of context in order to show that a 60 something year old man is racist/homophobic/sexist (and yes I hold doors open for women and give up my seat for them).

I'm none of those things and before I learned to keep quiet and give these people nothing to bite on, I wonder what those shouting down my views actually get out of it? Does it make them feel good? Do they think that they are advancing a multicultural, multiethnic, multifaith society or are they just playing to the choir?

One small correction - or two. The British state did not have a role in the transportation of slaves, but "British subjects" (merchants and landowners in the West Indies) did. British Governments did not overly concern themselves with the conduct of subjects overseas so there was little regard for what they traded or how they traded, only the taxes levied on their return. The merchant's ship's crews did not do the kidnapping. They limited themselves to Logistics with piracy thrown in as a bonus. The ships turned up and slaves were bought for goods on the quaysides. Africa's own role in the supply of slaves in vast numbers is mysteriously downplayed.
Alex Hales on 20:36 - Nov 19 with 3053 viewsbarry_sanchez

Alex Hales on 18:22 - Nov 19 by GasGiant

One small correction - or two. The British state did not have a role in the transportation of slaves, but "British subjects" (merchants and landowners in the West Indies) did. British Governments did not overly concern themselves with the conduct of subjects overseas so there was little regard for what they traded or how they traded, only the taxes levied on their return. The merchant's ship's crews did not do the kidnapping. They limited themselves to Logistics with piracy thrown in as a bonus. The ships turned up and slaves were bought for goods on the quaysides. Africa's own role in the supply of slaves in vast numbers is mysteriously downplayed.

Without Africa's tribal elders permission there would have never been a slave trade. Huge collaboration between tribal elders and western nations, the liberals attempt to rewrite history is laughable, the inconvenient truth is all nations are, were and still a shower of bastards, hypocrisy and a lack of knowledge are the order of the day.
The liberal office dweller is the real enemy of the state, a holier than thou c**t.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

Alex Hales on 21:20 - Nov 19 with 3012 viewspjt50

Alex Hales on 16:59 - Nov 19 by barry_sanchez

You are woke and a snowflake, only pick easy target like white male anglo saxon protestants, that is where your faux outrage starts and stops, mention Rotherham and you call people Islamophobe in an attempt to shut down debate, the go to from a liberal is if you don't like the debate it gets closed down via the old phobe or race card, its sad and pathetic, the BBC lost its best over this (Marr today), it will continue.
The right to challenge and if offence is caused through that must be allowed to continue if its warranted.
You simply want parallel lives and 5 0'clock apartheid, multiculturism is a failed word for failure to integrate and challenge.

Why the reference to Andrew Marr?

My understanding is that his leaving is more to do with comments of the loathsome Nadine Dorries about his lack of impartiality — i.e. he doesn't always toe the government line.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Alex Hales on 22:02 - Nov 19 with 2934 viewsbarry_sanchez

Alex Hales on 21:20 - Nov 19 by pjt50

Why the reference to Andrew Marr?

My understanding is that his leaving is more to do with comments of the loathsome Nadine Dorries about his lack of impartiality — i.e. he doesn't always toe the government line.

Because Marr it would seem from his words felt constrained by the BBC's line and agenda? Like Andrew Neil's, the agenda is don't rock the boat, don't report that could be divisive and don't quote numbers on crime.

Alex Hales on 22:09 - Nov 19 with 2932 viewspjt50

Alex Hales on 22:02 - Nov 19 by barry_sanchez

Because Marr it would seem from his words felt constrained by the BBC's line and agenda? Like Andrew Neil's, the agenda is don't rock the boat, don't report that could be divisive and don't quote numbers on crime.

Take a look. I fear for the BBC.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Alex Hales on 08:26 - Nov 20 with 2801 viewsChesham_Saint

How many on here ever referred to the much admired and yet amusing George Lawrence as “Chicken George”? Go on, fess up you intolerant bastards..!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Alex Hales on 08:50 - Nov 20 with 2784 viewssaint68

Alex Hales on 08:26 - Nov 20 by Chesham_Saint

How many on here ever referred to the much admired and yet amusing George Lawrence as “Chicken George”? Go on, fess up you intolerant bastards..!

Guilty

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Alex Hales on 11:19 - Nov 20 with 2724 viewsBerber

Alex Hales on 11:56 - Nov 19 by Sadoldgit

Sound reasoning, but what is happening in the media is often retrospectively applying current understanding and norms to the past. That doesn't in any way mean that the past attitudes were correct, else it is unlikely that we would be where we are at now. But as has been shown with Rafiq, it often doesn't take much digging to demonstrate the hypocrisy lurking in most or our lives. The question is, where do you draw the line and what, if anything needs to be done about it?

It is good that he spoke up, because it is clear that cricket, like many other institutions has been slow to adapt to the world we live in and the attitudes we commonly hold as correct. I think most people would accept when things are wrong, and the "banter" explanation is increasingly and correctly derided as a feeble excuse. Again, most people would accept that there is no sense in seeking to "punish" past events, but that an acknowledgement that it is no longer appropriate, and taking steps to deal with it in future are the best approach. The YCC executives and board members clearly did not meet these criteria.
Alex Hales on 12:00 - Nov 20 with 2691 viewsdwayne_dibley

Alex Hales on 08:26 - Nov 20 by Chesham_Saint

reruns of Roots will be difficult
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 12:01]

Alex Hales on 12:03 - Nov 20 with 2681 viewsdwayne_dibley

Alex Hales on 11:19 - Nov 20 by Berber

Sound reasoning, but what is happening in the media is often retrospectively applying current understanding and norms to the past. That doesn't in any way mean that the past attitudes were correct, else it is unlikely that we would be where we are at now. But as has been shown with Rafiq, it often doesn't take much digging to demonstrate the hypocrisy lurking in most or our lives. The question is, where do you draw the line and what, if anything needs to be done about it?

It is good that he spoke up, because it is clear that cricket, like many other institutions has been slow to adapt to the world we live in and the attitudes we commonly hold as correct. I think most people would accept when things are wrong, and the "banter" explanation is increasingly and correctly derided as a feeble excuse. Again, most people would accept that there is no sense in seeking to "punish" past events, but that an acknowledgement that it is no longer appropriate, and taking steps to deal with it in future are the best approach. The YCC executives and board members clearly did not meet these criteria.

People need to learn that "banter" is no longer acceptable in any form from white middle class liberals

Alex Hales on 00:31 - Nov 21 with 2522 viewsdarthvader

Alex Hales on 13:41 - Nov 19 by Butty101

Why does it feel embarrassing? I actually dont get why Alex hales should apologise. Who is he offending for the that fancy dress really. I suspect its more people have been told they should feel offended.
The movie white chicks is still on Sky. Should i feel offended by this becuase i dont.

I totally agree that using the P*** word is offensive. Interestingly theres a great pic of Rafiq doing the rounds wearing a top with the slogan P*** power. Which i dont get as this is offensive to him.

Edit I also dont think Rafiq should pulled over the coals for his comments on jews. Its banter calling someone tight. Im orignally from the IOW - the amount of incest joke ive had over the years....
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 13:46]

Ah yes ur mrssister said so too

keep the faith coyr

Alex Hales on 05:32 - Nov 21 with 2502 viewsDorsetIan

Stewart Lee summed up the whole anti-PC/anti-woke thing. Using his Gran as his character...

‚Oh stu, it’s gone mad stu, you can’t say do anything now stu, it’s political correctness gone mad Stu. You can’t take an electric fire into the bath with you now Stu, in case it frightens Jews‘

There are obviously some people who take the whole ‚I’m offended‘ thing too far, but there are even more who are using all this anti-woke bollocks to hold back the inevitable trend towards tolerance and respect for diversity. We‘ll get to the right balance eventually, but trying to polarise everyone into one side of an imaginary ‚culture war’ isn’t any help to anyone.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Alex Hales on 07:22 - Nov 21 with 2475 viewsKennington

Black face though has never really been acceptable though has it? Even in the 1970s it was racist and it’s racist now. Only difference is black communities are now able to have a platform to be heard. Lenny Henry talks about this in a few interviews, think he mentions it with the one with Louis Theroux on BBC sounds. Lenny as a young entertainer reluctantly took gigs where he was a warm up for minstrels. He knew it was wrong then and it still is now. This isn’t in Hales’s case the woke brigade, it’s the basic decency brigade. Alex Hales, by the way sounds to me like an absolute moron.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Alex Hales on 08:30 - Nov 21 with 2438 viewsbarry_sanchez

Alex Hales on 05:32 - Nov 21 by DorsetIan

Stewart Lee summed up the whole anti-PC/anti-woke thing. Using his Gran as his character...

‚Oh stu, it’s gone mad stu, you can’t say do anything now stu, it’s political correctness gone mad Stu. You can’t take an electric fire into the bath with you now Stu, in case it frightens Jews‘

There are obviously some people who take the whole ‚I’m offended‘ thing too far, but there are even more who are using all this anti-woke bollocks to hold back the inevitable trend towards tolerance and respect for diversity. We‘ll get to the right balance eventually, but trying to polarise everyone into one side of an imaginary ‚culture war’ isn’t any help to anyone.

When are the liberal left actually going to have the courage to stand up to religions and cultures that are fascist, sexist, racist and tolerate all sorts of horrific deeds?
I'll take them seriously then until then they'll continue with the white man easy target, why don't feminists take on the Islamic faith? Why doesn't Islam take on China over the treament of Uighers?
Nah bollocks to that we'll expend all our energy on a statue......................

Easy targets and cowardice.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024