Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints Goalkeepers 22:12 - Nov 21 with 1335 viewsSaintsforeverj

Best
1) Peter Shilton
2) Antti Niemi
3) Tim Flowers

"Worst" - not totally sure but a few come to mind:
Beasant, Grobbelar, McCarthy?

Remember Maik Taylor being pretty good too.

All a matter of opinion of course!

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Saints Goalkeepers on 22:26 - Nov 21 with 1322 viewsgreen

Maik Taylor was treated unfairly by Dave Jones (I think) because he'd done well for us and then DJ came in and brought Paul Jones with him.
Saints Goalkeepers on 22:32 - Nov 21 with 1312 viewsSaintsforeverj

Saints Goalkeepers on 22:26 - Nov 21 by green

Maik Taylor was treated unfairly by Dave Jones (I think) because he'd done well for us and then DJ came in and brought Paul Jones with him.

Oh yeah, I remember now. Taylor, who was decent, got dropped for Paul Jones and Paul Jones I remember being pretty average.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Saints Goalkeepers on 22:46 - Nov 21 with 1295 viewsdirk_doone

I think your opinion is pretty good. I agree with your Top 3. Shilton, Niemi and Flowers were the best.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 22:53]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Saints Goalkeepers on 07:38 - Nov 22 with 1209 viewsTripleNiemi

Saints Goalkeepers on 22:32 - Nov 21 by Saintsforeverj

Oh yeah, I remember now. Taylor, who was decent, got dropped for Paul Jones and Paul Jones I remember being pretty average.

Jonah was a great shot stopper but as for his distribution, communication and commanding the box he was poor. Will never forget the occasion where Richards was under the cosh (facing his own goal) and he decided it was better to increase the pressure on himself to clear the ball to Row Z. He had no faith in playing it back to the keeper although he shouldn't have worried as Jonesy was good at finding the back of the stand with his kicking.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Saints Goalkeepers on 09:55 - Nov 22 with 1154 viewsSadoldgit

For me Niemi just shades it over Shilton but they were both top quality and probably joint first would be a better call. Agree with Flowers as third. Can think of plenty of poor keepers and McCarthy would be in my average list. Eric Martin and Gerry Gurr spring to mind Bruce G was just bizarre. Now that keepers are supposed to play with the ball it their feet can you imagine what chaos he could cause if encouraged to dribble more!!
Saints Goalkeepers on 10:00 - Nov 22 with 1150 viewssaints__fan__73

Saints Goalkeepers on 22:32 - Nov 21 by Saintsforeverj

Taylor was still playing in the PL years after Jones had hung them up too.

A limited number of games but Chris Woods was the worst I can recall.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Saints Goalkeepers on 10:40 - Nov 22 with 1136 viewsdirk_doone

Saints Goalkeepers on 09:55 - Nov 22 by Sadoldgit

For me Niemi just shades it over Shilton but they were both top quality and probably joint first would be a better call. Agree with Flowers as third. Can think of plenty of poor keepers and McCarthy would be in my average list. Eric Martin and Gerry Gurr spring to mind Bruce G was just bizarre. Now that keepers are supposed to play with the ball it their feet can you imagine what chaos he could cause if encouraged to dribble more!!

Grobelaar never kept a single clean sheet for us until the bribery scandal hit the headlines and there were the banners proclaiming his innocence, in the crowd at the Dell. Then, for the first time, we saw how good he could be and he actually kept a clean sheet against Arsenal. So, I'm not sure how much of his erratic goalkeeping was down to his dodgy character and how much was because he wasn't a good goalkeeper. But he won 6 league titles and a European Cup at Liverpol so he must have been good when he wanted to be.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Saints Goalkeepers on 12:57 - Nov 22 with 1089 viewssaint901

I remember Grobellar immediately after the bribery scandal broke.

He went to the Archers Rd end and the away fans were waving money at him. He took off his cap and went along the line collecting contributions.

Brilliant.
Login to get fewer ads

Saints Goalkeepers on 13:07 - Nov 23 with 967 viewsSaintNick

Saints Goalkeepers on 09:55 - Nov 22 by Sadoldgit

Niemi was a good keeper for Saints, but at the time he wasn't the best keeper in the Premier League, whereas in his time at Saints Peter Shilton was not only the best keeper in England but the World

So as good as Niemi was his 82 Premier League appearances for Saints (plus 24 in the Championship) in 2 1/2 seasons cannot compare with Shilton's 188 all in the top flight in 5 seasons all at the time when he was undisputed England keeper and also the best in the world.

I would put Tim Flowers ahead of Niemi in my list, Flowers was a much better all round keeper and again played 192 games for us in the top flight.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints Goalkeepers on 13:50 - Nov 23 with 943 viewsPatfromPoole

I remember Ian Andrews being pretty ropey.

Will probably get hung for it, but I never rated Kelvin Davis. Had an appalling shots faced v goals conceded ratio. Had a great day at Elland Road, but a lot of ropey ones.

I liked Niemi a lot, despite his bad display qat Fratton on that dismal day.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Saints Goalkeepers on 19:00 - Nov 25 with 834 viewsChesham_Saint

Saints Goalkeepers on 12:57 - Nov 22 by saint901

He went to the Archers Rd end and the away fans were waving money at him. He took off his cap and went along the line collecting contributions.

Brilliant.

Corrupt as fvck apparently…

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Saints Goalkeepers on 14:55 - Nov 26 with 755 viewsdarthvader

Saints Goalkeepers on 22:46 - Nov 21 by dirk_doone

I think your opinion is pretty good. I agree with your Top 3. Shilton, Niemi and Flowers were the best.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 22:53]

Agree but my favourite by far was John Burridge .
Absolute nutcase but i loved him

keep the faith coyr

Saints Goalkeepers on 15:23 - Nov 26 with 748 viewsTimSaint

Saints Goalkeepers on 12:57 - Nov 22 by saint901

Brilliant.

Anyone at that Coventry away game, before the GrobGate scandal broke ?
I said to my mates at the time that he should have saved an early Cov goal that was lobbed over him.
Fortunately for Us, Magilton, Le Tiss, Dowie and Eklund did the business and we barely gave Cov another touch and won it 3-1.
During the scandal, there was an alleged video of Grob after that game that the prosecutors were using and he was apparently saying that he virtually threw it into his own net !!

TimSaint

Saints Goalkeepers on 15:25 - Nov 26 with 747 viewsTimSaint

Saints Goalkeepers on 13:07 - Nov 23 by SaintNick

Niemi was a good keeper for Saints, but at the time he wasn't the best keeper in the Premier League, whereas in his time at Saints Peter Shilton was not only the best keeper in England but the World

So as good as Niemi was his 82 Premier League appearances for Saints (plus 24 in the Championship) in 2 1/2 seasons cannot compare with Shilton's 188 all in the top flight in 5 seasons all at the time when he was undisputed England keeper and also the best in the world.

I would put Tim Flowers ahead of Niemi in my list, Flowers was a much better all round keeper and again played 192 games for us in the top flight.

Shilts only managed 49 appearances for England whilst at Saints !!

This fact still haunts my cousin to this day. He had a (large) bet with his brother, that Shilts had 50 or more caps !!

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024