Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harper’s Law 09:01 - Nov 24 with 857 viewsSadoldgit

Whilst I welcome mandatory life sentences for murder, I am not sure that just life sentences for killing emergency service workers is right. To paraphrase a recent slogan, surely all lives are equal. Nursing a member of the police or a nurse is just as bad as murdering a member of the public. 2 people were murdered the other day whilst their 2 young children slept upstairs, over a parking space row apparently! Shouldn’t their double murderer also face a potential life sentence too?
I appreciate that there are sometimes mitigating circumstances but all to often murderers are out within a relatively short time. Life sentences often don’t mean life. The whole thing needs to be reassessed. Whilst being a step in the right direction, all lives should carry the same value.
Harper’s Law on 09:15 - Nov 24 with 841 viewsSaintNick

Whilst I do agree with a lot of what you say, the people who are in the emergency services need protecting as they are the people in the front line, harsher sentences for attacking them including for murder would perhaps deter people from doing so

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Harper’s Law on 10:44 - Nov 24 with 789 viewsSadoldgit

Harper’s Law on 09:15 - Nov 24 by SaintNick

Whilst I do agree with a lot of what you say, the people who are in the emergency services need protecting as they are the people in the front line, harsher sentences for attacking them including for murder would perhaps deter people from doing so

I agree that they need to be protected Nick, but there should be a greater deterrent to murdering anyone I think. Sadly even when we had capital punishment that didn’t stop people killing each other, but there has to be some kind of comparative justice for those who lose their lives apart from capital punishment. Too many people are able to resume a normal life when they are still relatively young after taking another.
Harper’s Law on 17:26 - Nov 24 with 649 viewsgeezershoong1

Harper’s Law on 10:44 - Nov 24 by Sadoldgit

I agree that they need to be protected Nick, but there should be a greater deterrent to murdering anyone I think. Sadly even when we had capital punishment that didn’t stop people killing each other, but there has to be some kind of comparative justice for those who lose their lives apart from capital punishment. Too many people are able to resume a normal life when they are still relatively young after taking another.

Murder rates are up 75% in some US states that have the death penalty.

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

Harper’s Law on 17:39 - Nov 24 with 643 viewsSadoldgit

Harper’s Law on 17:26 - Nov 24 by geezershoong1

Murder rates are up 75% in some US states that have the death penalty.

Weird isn’t it!
Harper’s Law on 10:20 - Nov 25 with 583 viewsChesham_Saint

The thing here is that it’s not “just” the person being murdered, but the position they hold.

Murder is obviously wrong (and the penalties for that are a separate debate) but murder a policeman or emergency worker and you’re attacking their role as well - and we collectively rely on them doing their job effectively. So it’s a double murder essentially and for that reason, an extraordinary penalty needs to apply.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Harper’s Law on 12:31 - Nov 25 with 554 viewsButty101

The saddest thing about PC Harpers death, was that there wasn’t a vigils or the public getting angry. At the same time a career criminal in another country gets killed and everyone takes a knee.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Harper’s Law on 12:33 - Nov 25 with 553 viewssaint68

Harper’s Law on 12:31 - Nov 25 by Butty101

The saddest thing about PC Harpers death, was that there wasn’t a vigils or the public getting angry. At the same time a career criminal in another country gets killed and everyone takes a knee.

White Lives Don't Matter

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Harper’s Law on 21:45 - Nov 25 with 494 viewsSadoldgit

Harper’s Law on 10:20 - Nov 25 by Chesham_Saint

The thing here is that it’s not “just” the person being murdered, but the position they hold.

Murder is obviously wrong (and the penalties for that are a separate debate) but murder a policeman or emergency worker and you’re attacking their role as well - and we collectively rely on them doing their job effectively. So it’s a double murder essentially and for that reason, an extraordinary penalty needs to apply.

I take your point 👍
Login to get fewer ads

Harper’s Law on 10:17 - Nov 26 with 399 viewsbarry_sanchez

This is about showing appreciation and respect for what the forces do, if they're not respected by tariffs handed out to criminals how can you expect to recruit further down the line?

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024