Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's gone wrong with our support? 14:29 - Nov 28 with 5193 viewsfranniesTache

I know the premier league ruins most supports over a period of time but since the restart after covid our support has gone to new levels of embarrassing.

It used to be that we only sung OWTS and/or yellows away from home, that was dull but nothing more, but we seem to have been infested by a new generation of "lads" who seem to think social media/soccer am is the height of wit and have taken it upon themselves to embarrass our city at every opportunity.

Their constant singing of "pompey got battered" in northern accents (why the f*ck is someone from 'Ampshire singing Home like they're from Yorkshire?) they now taking their noddiness to another level.

Yesterday at Liverpool we had people singing possibly the most tin pot embarrassing sh*t i've heard in years "we've won/lost the ball" as if we're some tin pot tiny team supported by yokels who've got all giddy at their first trip out the city (yup the skates sing it).

And then there's this...

Grown f*cking men taking a cardboard cut out of an internet fad to a football game, is there anyway we can get banning orders for these c*nts before they embarrass us further?
What's gone wrong with our support? on 15:11 - Nov 28 with 4362 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The kids now are even more tiresome than ever, office "banter" is non existent also - in the past it was just irritating as everyone was a "MASSIVE" supporter of Liverpool, or Man Utd etc (we both worked together with a number of the worst offenders in a past company).

But now, for example I had some skate tell me he supported Portsmouth (he even said Portsmouth, not Pompey), but that he didn't mind Saints but supported Arsenal in the Premier League.

I really can't be bothered engaging anymore. In that instance I actually just walked off pretending I'd seen someone else.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

What's gone wrong with our support? on 15:33 - Nov 28 with 4326 viewsTripleNiemi

What's gone wrong with our support? on 15:11 - Nov 28 by Gennaro_Contaldo

The kids now are even more tiresome than ever, office "banter" is non existent also - in the past it was just irritating as everyone was a "MASSIVE" supporter of Liverpool, or Man Utd etc (we both worked together with a number of the worst offenders in a past company).

But now, for example I had some skate tell me he supported Portsmouth (he even said Portsmouth, not Pompey), but that he didn't mind Saints but supported Arsenal in the Premier League.

I really can't be bothered engaging anymore. In that instance I actually just walked off pretending I'd seen someone else.

You don't work with '130 years' per chance? He apparently supports Pompey but does also have a love in with Arsenal cos Thierry loved the shīthole that was Fratton......

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

What's gone wrong with our support? on 16:19 - Nov 28 with 4289 viewsPaleRider

It's all part of the emasculation of football!

The thing I miss is the humour (not always appropriate). I remember watching Saints Chelsea on Boxing Day 1979 (or 1980 - can't remember!) and a song directed at Ron "Chopper" Harris to the tune of Jesus Christ Superstar alluding to his sexuality. It was hysterical but it just wouldn't happen today.

No one abuses the officials any more - is it because "who's the w*nker in the black? is ow deemed racist. It's no surprise they can get away with being so rubbish if they don't have fans on their backs for the whole game.

Maybe I'm just getting old but I find going to games really depressing now because the experience is so boring.
What's gone wrong with our support? on 17:21 - Nov 28 with 4222 viewskingslandstand1

What's gone wrong with our support? on 15:33 - Nov 28 by TripleNiemi

You don't work with '130 years' per chance? He apparently supports Pompey but does also have a love in with Arsenal cos Thierry loved the shīthole that was Fratton......

And is always on a Saints site, though when questioned bout that the other day he said that he supported football in general. Couldn't understand that bit as he purports to be a skate
What's gone wrong with our support? on 20:29 - Nov 28 with 4079 viewsdirk_doone

What's gone wrong with our support? on 15:11 - Nov 28 by Gennaro_Contaldo

That's not unusual. Arsenal is the Premier League team most football fans in Portsmouth support. You see more of their shirts being worn there than any other club's.

As for the topic of the thread, in general, I think it's a generation gap thing. Every generation has its own way of doing things, which the older generation usually doesn't like.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 20:32]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

What's gone wrong with our support? on 20:42 - Nov 28 with 4054 viewsSaintsforeverj

What's gone wrong with our support? on 20:29 - Nov 28 by dirk_doone

That's not unusual. Arsenal is the Premier League team most football fans in Portsmouth support. You see more of their shirts being worn there than any other club's.

As for the topic of the thread, in general, I think it's a generation gap thing. Every generation has its own way of doing things, which the older generation usually doesn't like.

You're right, I was in Portsmouth (I just about survived the experience wearing a mask and space suit) and I also noticed a few people wearing Arsenal shirts. It's almost like this ridiculous need to feel as if they are supporting a good team to somehow make them feel more of a person. But like a lot of things nowadays, it's so fake, because like all the other plastics down here, they probably never go to the games. They just feel more special thinking that other people look at them and think they are supporting a decent team.

As for the Saints fans, the supporters of today are the same at every club. They represent the generation we are in.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 20:43]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

What's gone wrong with our support? on 21:14 - Nov 28 with 4013 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

What's gone wrong with our support? on 20:29 - Nov 28 by dirk_doone

If I'm honest I was more annoyed by the "I don't mind Southampton" comment than supporting Arsenal.

My initial reaction was "you're a skate and I hate you and your city" ...

What's gone wrong with our support? on 09:02 - Nov 29 with 3790 viewssolent_toffee

The game as we knew it has gone. It’s completely sanitised and, in this country especially, is geared up for a handful of teams. It’s all about them and the rest of us are there to make up the numbers whilst the bantz brigade do their wacky thing.

I watched a video clip of a group of Liverpool fans filming themselves doing some sort of rap outside Anfield a few games ago, all out of towners, all with no self awareness - truly horrific, yet almost normalised with the modern fan. In the past, fans would go to the pub before the game, now they practice their moves, charge up their selfie sticks and make sure their fantasy teams are up to date.

Yesterday Sky had the Brentford v Everton coverage down as starting at 1pm. I turned it on but they didn’t mention either Brentford or Everton until 1.40 as they needed to do a full analysis of some bloke who may or may not take over as interim manager at United.

With games getting shifted to stupid times my enthusiasm is almost tailing off now as going on Monday nights is almost impossible. Everton’s last Saturday at 3pm was October 25th. The next one is middle of January but I can see that getting moved as it’s against Villa and Stevie G and Sky won’t want to miss out on a full weeks tribute to the DJ bashing ex red.
Login to get fewer ads

What's gone wrong with our support? on 09:09 - Nov 29 with 3786 viewsHeisenberg

What's gone wrong with our support? on 09:02 - Nov 29 by solent_toffee

The game as we knew it has gone. It’s completely sanitised and, in this country especially, is geared up for a handful of teams. It’s all about them and the rest of us are there to make up the numbers whilst the bantz brigade do their wacky thing.

I watched a video clip of a group of Liverpool fans filming themselves doing some sort of rap outside Anfield a few games ago, all out of towners, all with no self awareness - truly horrific, yet almost normalised with the modern fan. In the past, fans would go to the pub before the game, now they practice their moves, charge up their selfie sticks and make sure their fantasy teams are up to date.

Yesterday Sky had the Brentford v Everton coverage down as starting at 1pm. I turned it on but they didn’t mention either Brentford or Everton until 1.40 as they needed to do a full analysis of some bloke who may or may not take over as interim manager at United.

With games getting shifted to stupid times my enthusiasm is almost tailing off now as going on Monday nights is almost impossible. Everton’s last Saturday at 3pm was October 25th. The next one is middle of January but I can see that getting moved as it’s against Villa and Stevie G and Sky won’t want to miss out on a full weeks tribute to the DJ bashing ex red.

Yep we had to put up with the Klopp love in this weekend. We don’t get a mention other than a mere nod to being the latest fodder.

As for Brentford yesterday. What a poor game. Brentford remind me of Stoke under Pulis. As for Everton they looked very poor considering the money they have spent. Lots of injuries I know but they didn’t create anything.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

What's gone wrong with our support? on 09:43 - Nov 29 with 3757 viewssolent_toffee

What's gone wrong with our support? on 09:09 - Nov 29 by Heisenberg

Yep we had to put up with the Klopp love in this weekend. We don’t get a mention other than a mere nod to being the latest fodder.

As for Brentford yesterday. What a poor game. Brentford remind me of Stoke under Pulis. As for Everton they looked very poor considering the money they have spent. Lots of injuries I know but they didn’t create anything.

Everton were shocking yesterday against a really poor Brentford. I fear as absolute drubbing on Wednesday against the other shower. Normally in a derby, tackles fly in and anything can happen. But this squad are devoid of all character with one or two exceptions and will just roll over for them.
What's gone wrong with our support? on 09:50 - Nov 29 with 3754 views1885_SFC

What's gone wrong with our support? on 09:43 - Nov 29 by solent_toffee

Everton were shocking yesterday against a really poor Brentford. I fear as absolute drubbing on Wednesday against the other shower. Normally in a derby, tackles fly in and anything can happen. But this squad are devoid of all character with one or two exceptions and will just roll over for them.

Yep, you know you're having a bad season Toffs when it's December on Wednesday & you're only 1 point and 1 place above Southampton!

Old School is Cool

What's gone wrong with our support? on 11:07 - Nov 29 with 3684 viewsfranniesTache

What's gone wrong with our support? on 09:02 - Nov 29 by solent_toffee

I was at both Watford and Norwich away with saints and it's more than just the generation we're in.

Pre-Covid it wasn't half this bad, but at Watford we had young lads giving "cut throat" signs to their mascot.

I'll just say that again, lads in their 20s doing cut throat gestures at someone dressed as a giant yellow wasp...

Then the group in front didn't sing anything for most of the game but suddenly got really loud and excited when people started singing "is this a library".

I mean putting aside how much i hate that song, it was sung at the disabled section, and the rest of the ground were singing and there was quite clearly a drum going too.

At Norwich we had lads on their first line of coke wearing their stoney they'd bought on Klarna singing "Norwich is a sh*thole" outside their medieval town center, and "your support is f*cking sh*t" at probably the loudest ground i've been at in ages where most of the fans are season ticket holders.

The selfies and sh*t i hate but can put up with, but our "lads" are fast becoming an utter embarrassment who just go through the motions.

No most cities aren't sh*t holes, no this ground isn't a library, no we won't "sing a song for you" when we don't even sing our songs.

Oh and don't start me on using seven nation army to every, single, f*cking player.

I swear right now i'd take our bingo bus over these mongs, unoriginal, gurning goons who have no class and no idea of it.

Like the old saying goes, all the gear, no idea.
What's gone wrong with our support? on 11:24 - Nov 29 with 3663 viewsNickSO19

What's gone wrong with our support? on 21:14 - Nov 28 by Gennaro_Contaldo

If I'm honest I was more annoyed by the "I don't mind Southampton" comment than supporting Arsenal.

My initial reaction was "you're a skate and I hate you and your city" ...

What's gone wrong with our support? on 11:40 - Nov 29 with 3642 viewsNickSO19

What's gone wrong with our support? on 11:07 - Nov 29 by franniesTache

I was at both Watford and Norwich away with saints and it's more than just the generation we're in.

Pre-Covid it wasn't half this bad, but at Watford we had young lads giving "cut throat" signs to their mascot.

I'll just say that again, lads in their 20s doing cut throat gestures at someone dressed as a giant yellow wasp...

Then the group in front didn't sing anything for most of the game but suddenly got really loud and excited when people started singing "is this a library".

I mean putting aside how much i hate that song, it was sung at the disabled section, and the rest of the ground were singing and there was quite clearly a drum going too.

At Norwich we had lads on their first line of coke wearing their stoney they'd bought on Klarna singing "Norwich is a sh*thole" outside their medieval town center, and "your support is f*cking sh*t" at probably the loudest ground i've been at in ages where most of the fans are season ticket holders.

The selfies and sh*t i hate but can put up with, but our "lads" are fast becoming an utter embarrassment who just go through the motions.

No most cities aren't sh*t holes, no this ground isn't a library, no we won't "sing a song for you" when we don't even sing our songs.

Oh and don't start me on using seven nation army to every, single, f*cking player.

I swear right now i'd take our bingo bus over these mongs, unoriginal, gurning goons who have no class and no idea of it.

The lads offering out the Watford mascot was brilliant - proper football factory surrealism. I also enjoyed your "do you know the words to OWTS? then f**king sing it" to the group in front

I am still not over the trip to Norwich being ruined when we changed trains at Cambridge on the way up and some din chanted Red Army, cringeworthy behaviour.
What's gone wrong with our support? on 11:50 - Nov 29 with 3632 viewsNickSO19

Losing 4-0 was not the worse thing about Saturday (was expected after they beat Arsenal last week) but our away support singing "we won the ball." Embarrassing shite - just a bit of self respect and reflection would improve our support overnight.
What's gone wrong with our support? on 13:00 - Nov 29 with 3606 viewssaint22

What's gone wrong with our support? on 11:07 - Nov 29 by franniesTache

A great post Frannies but I am afraid that this isn't just a football issue its societal
The social media age has done for any future where the 'kids' are concerned
Nothing is learnt or earnt these days, its gained by parading around doing stupid sh1te, sharing it with the world who are in your algorithm and getting 'liked' for it
then as you say all the gear on the never never to try and fit in
Its everywhere now but in this country it is particularly depressing
What's gone wrong with our support? on 14:15 - Nov 29 with 3555 views1ASIN12

The number of our fans with their camara phones out filming “ you’ll never walk alone “ at the start and also evry time a Liverpool player came near us was also embarrassing.

Why the fvck would you want a video of Liverpool fans singing ?

Mind you it was the same from their fans too - never understood why Manchester Utd get criticism for having fans from all over the country but Liverpool don’t - yet probably have just as many of not more since the ground was expanded.
What's gone wrong with our support? on 14:19 - Nov 29 with 3547 viewsfranniesTache

What's gone wrong with our support? on 13:00 - Nov 29 by saint22

A great post Frannies but I am afraid that this isn't just a football issue its societal
The social media age has done for any future where the 'kids' are concerned
Nothing is learnt or earnt these days, its gained by parading around doing stupid sh1te, sharing it with the world who are in your algorithm and getting 'liked' for it
then as you say all the gear on the never never to try and fit in
Its everywhere now but in this country it is particularly depressing

Bring back the days of standing on the milton or wherever and if you piped up with something embarrassing you'd be put in your place by one of the older lads.

These kids could do worse than having some of the older lads pointing out they look like f*cking gimps and need to understand that if they're just following a song book - OTWS then fathers gun, then is this a library, then four nil a home, then your support is f*cking shit - it's not support it's pantomime.

In fact i genuinely reckon you could make a good guess at the order and minute each of those songs get sang in at away games right now.
What's gone wrong with our support? on 14:28 - Nov 29 with 3517 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

What's gone wrong with our support? on 14:19 - Nov 29 by franniesTache

Bring back the days of standing on the milton or wherever and if you piped up with something embarrassing you'd be put in your place by one of the older lads.

These kids could do worse than having some of the older lads pointing out they look like f*cking gimps and need to understand that if they're just following a song book - OTWS then fathers gun, then is this a library, then four nil a home, then your support is f*cking shit - it's not support it's pantomime.

In fact i genuinely reckon you could make a good guess at the order and minute each of those songs get sang in at away games right now.

Agree. I noticed on a VLOG (I know I know, load of sh*t, but the kids that did it at least weren't attempting to be the latest Danny Dyer) that at the ground, two sets of fans about a metre apart giving each other w*nker signs, with nothing happening. I mean yes, the current crop of "lads" have now become a ridiculous embarrassment, but why are you stood a metre from someone giving them a w*nker sign? It's all so pointless.

What's gone wrong with our support? on 14:55 - Nov 29 with 3481 viewssaint22

What's gone wrong with our support? on 14:19 - Nov 29 by franniesTache

Its like all the yoof walking round calling everyone blud and acting all threatening until they get back to their £2m house in islington and up for private school in the morning

Pick them all up and drop them in Compton or the Bronx and lets see how blud they are then
What's gone wrong with our support? on 15:08 - Nov 29 with 3467 viewsfranniesTache

What's gone wrong with our support? on 14:28 - Nov 29 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Agree. I noticed on a VLOG (I know I know, load of sh*t, but the kids that did it at least weren't attempting to be the latest Danny Dyer) that at the ground, two sets of fans about a metre apart giving each other w*nker signs, with nothing happening. I mean yes, the current crop of "lads" have now become a ridiculous embarrassment, but why are you stood a metre from someone giving them a w*nker sign? It's all so pointless.

thing is like always there's groups of lads actually doing their own thing and they wouldn't be seen dead with this lot.

This group are just pure pantomime, they've bought a CP or Stoney on tic and jump around like zebedee trying to hold in the runs.

They also seem to have appeared out of nowhere, the season before covid hit i'd never seen them and now they're at every game acting like embarrassing bellends
What's gone wrong with our support? on 16:53 - Nov 29 with 3384 viewsBison

And yet who can remember the threads on here sticking up for the poor German girl who was crying or being disgusted when the national anthems were boo'd during the Euro's.

Some on here are guilty of trying to sanitise the game as well , me personally give the ref , the players , the away fans as much stick as you can on match day then shake hands after ( or chase them back to the Southampton Central :) )

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

What's gone wrong with our support? on 20:49 - Nov 29 with 3192 viewsSonicBoom

Hold on.....you can buy Stone Island on Klarna??
Get in!
What's gone wrong with our support? on 22:17 - Nov 29 with 3128 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

What's gone wrong with our support? on 15:08 - Nov 29 by franniesTache

thing is like always there's groups of lads actually doing their own thing and they wouldn't be seen dead with this lot.

This group are just pure pantomime, they've bought a CP or Stoney on tic and jump around like zebedee trying to hold in the runs.

They also seem to have appeared out of nowhere, the season before covid hit i'd never seen them and now they're at every game acting like embarrassing bellends

You see them walking round in towns now as well, not just at football, I've seen these little groups of "lads" round Fleet thinking they're the mafia, ICF, Krays or whoever else they are pretending to be.

It's like they've spent the last two years watching stuff in their bedrooms and now they've emerged, think that is who they are ... it's a complete detachment from reality.

What's gone wrong with our support? on 09:23 - Nov 30 with 3025 viewsBerber

What's gone wrong with our support? on 22:17 - Nov 29 by Gennaro_Contaldo

You see them walking round in towns now as well, not just at football, I've seen these little groups of "lads" round Fleet thinking they're the mafia, ICF, Krays or whoever else they are pretending to be.

It's like they've spent the last two years watching stuff in their bedrooms and now they've emerged, think that is who they are ... it's a complete detachment from reality.

The Fleet Massif , The Hartley Whitney Ultras
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 9:24]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024