Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict 09:30 - Nov 29 with 1082 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/56395/southampton-at-liv

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:05 - Nov 29 with 1021 viewsSadoldgit

Fair play to Ralph. He held his hands up and admitted that he got the starting formation and tactics wrong. He was trying to be too clever and probably needs to be at a bigger club with more resources than ours. We don’t have a poor squad but we also can’t call on world class players so Ralph needs to find a decent balance between keeping the defence tight and creating chances and stick to it for a while. Armstrong hasn’t been able to replicate Ings in his scoring for fun period and that is our biggest problem now. We don’t have a consistsnt goalscorer and if were are not likely to get 2 plus goals a game we are going to struggle in the Prem. Perhaps things would have been different if we had a fully fit and on form Stuey from the start of the season? No one has replicated his role yet.
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:23 - Nov 29 with 1006 viewssaintwizzler

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:05 - Nov 29 by Sadoldgit

Fair play to Ralph. He held his hands up and admitted that he got the starting formation and tactics wrong. He was trying to be too clever and probably needs to be at a bigger club with more resources than ours. We don’t have a poor squad but we also can’t call on world class players so Ralph needs to find a decent balance between keeping the defence tight and creating chances and stick to it for a while. Armstrong hasn’t been able to replicate Ings in his scoring for fun period and that is our biggest problem now. We don’t have a consistsnt goalscorer and if were are not likely to get 2 plus goals a game we are going to struggle in the Prem. Perhaps things would have been different if we had a fully fit and on form Stuey from the start of the season? No one has replicated his role yet.

Which bigger club would come in for Hassenhüttl?
Not one in England.
While Southampton remain 17th or higher his job is safe.
If he picked the best team available, playing players in their correct positions, keeping the same formation and using substitutions better maybe we could be better off.
Fed up with him now.
Stop the fûcking around Hassenhüttl please.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 12:19 - Nov 29 with 957 viewsCenturion

If Ralph had a magic formula to keep Saints 17th, just above relegation, for the next 10 years he would be safe!
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 14:11 - Nov 29 with 894 views1ASIN12

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:23 - Nov 29 by saintwizzler

Not one in England.
If he picked the best team available, playing players in their correct positions, keeping the same formation and using substitutions better maybe we could be better off.
Fed up with him now.

Both Everton and Tottenham were both looking for managers in the summer and Ralph was not on eithers radar .

He was also not linked to the Newcastle job dispte he working miricals with our supposedly shit squad to keep us up the last few seasons .

As you say no other club in England would want him now , if he hadn’t lost those two games 9-0 arguably he may have been linked or even gone to a bigger club .
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 14:17 - Nov 29 with 880 viewsButty101

We have been abysmal this year away from home. 18 games and 14 defeats, 2wins and 2draws. Also conceded 47 goals in those games.

There has to be some one better than Ralph out there. Lucky that Liverpool eased up after 55mins because it could have been another humiliating defeat.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 14:26 - Nov 29 with 860 viewsSadoldgit

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:23 - Nov 29 by saintwizzler

Not one in England.
Fed up with him now.

If he was free there are probably a few mid table clubs who would fancy him here. I would imagine he could still be attractive to bigger clubs abroad. People within the game see a guy doing his best with little money and an average squad. I don’t think they focus on the 9-0’s as much as some of the fans do. Moyes managed to get a decent job after making a pigs ear of his career after leaving Everton. When he leaves I don’t think he will end up like Adkins.
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 19:44 - Nov 29 with 761 viewsRon11

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 14:26 - Nov 29 by Sadoldgit

If he was free there are probably a few mid table clubs who would fancy him here. I would imagine he could still be attractive to bigger clubs abroad. People within the game see a guy doing his best with little money and an average squad. I don’t think they focus on the 9-0’s as much as some of the fans do. Moyes managed to get a decent job after making a pigs ear of his career after leaving Everton. When he leaves I don’t think he will end up like Adkins.

The two 9-0's featured as a question on 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' last week with four clubs named as the possible candidate for the dubious honour, Saints being one of course. 'What is the only Premiership team to suffer 9-0 defeats in two consecutive seasons?'
Needless to say, the contestant got it right with no assistance at all.
We're famous for it..
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 21:05 - Nov 29 with 715 viewsSonicBoom

Ralph gets so much slack it's ridiculous.
Walcott gets played centre forward, he often drops KWP who is top of most stats in his position, and he goes to Liverpool, a place where we will get very few chances and need to defend - and he plays a new formation with 3 up front!
I dont want him out, but there are many weeks where I have no clue what he is thinking.
Even after he explains it still appears to be crazy.

People have been saying fair play to him, we probably would have lost anyway so he tried something they won't expect.
Well yes, dropping your best player and playing 3 up front was unexpected cos its mental!!

I could understand keeping it tight as long as possible, and either trying to nick one, or throw a few forward if we were one or two down with 20 to go.
But we were out the game before we were even in it.
I dont even mind losing by 4 to Liverpool, christ I even expect it, but its the manner of it. A really naive plan that smacked of 'hoping for the best'.
And its not the first time. I doubt it'll be the last.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 21:26 - Nov 29 with 693 viewsgrumpy

We have some decent players, not great but good enough to keep us up, but if Ralph doesn't stop messing about with the team we will find ourselves in trouble.
I like Ralph as most Saints fans do but the next couple of games could well go someway to deciding his future.
Find your best first eleven and stick with it where possible and I don't know what happens at halftime but that needs looking at too.
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 21:29 - Nov 29 with 691 viewsDorsetIan

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 21:05 - Nov 29 by SonicBoom

Ralph gets so much slack it's ridiculous.
Walcott gets played centre forward, he often drops KWP who is top of most stats in his position, and he goes to Liverpool, a place where we will get very few chances and need to defend - and he plays a new formation with 3 up front!
I dont want him out, but there are many weeks where I have no clue what he is thinking.
Even after he explains it still appears to be crazy.

People have been saying fair play to him, we probably would have lost anyway so he tried something they won't expect.
Well yes, dropping your best player and playing 3 up front was unexpected cos its mental!!

I could understand keeping it tight as long as possible, and either trying to nick one, or throw a few forward if we were one or two down with 20 to go.
But we were out the game before we were even in it.
I dont even mind losing by 4 to Liverpool, christ I even expect it, but its the manner of it. A really naive plan that smacked of 'hoping for the best'.
And its not the first time. I doubt it'll be the last.

This.

The number of times he does something tactically which appears to be complete madness and which then turns out to be complete madness is ridiculous.

We hate it watching it. Wtf must the players think.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 00:52 - Nov 30 with 627 viewsbarry_sanchez

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 14:26 - Nov 29 by Sadoldgit

Replace average with poor squad.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 09:13 - Nov 30 with 547 viewssaint901

I've now managed to watch most of the Liverpool game and will add my two'penneth.

Liverpool are known for being a team that moves forward at every opportunity and especially with full backs playing as wingers. They are not unusual in doing that but perhaps a bit better than most. They can do this because they have reliable central defenders and defensive mids who are disciplined. They also have strikers who can convert a high proportion of the chances created.

It seems that in the first half, the tactics were to match the way Liverpool play and throw full backs forward, relying on Bednarek (who had a nightmare), Salisu (who looked totally confused) and Romeu (who looked unhappy playing where he did) to hold the centre ground.

If the quality of the players was roughly equal, then this is actually not a bad tactic. Unfortunately the Liverpool players are better in most positions than ours. Instead of limiting the space and blocking the wide areas Liverpool like to exploit therefore, we offered up exactly what they wanted. We also conceded early, reducing confidence and that prevented us from playing the ball out of the danger areas quickly.

The second half was better (the Van D goal was a scrappy accident) but by then Liverpool were in cruise mode.

I think RH got this one wrong.

It's fine to play an attacking formation against mid table teams because often it works. Against a good side - hardly ever.

If I were manager, I think I would have started with a tried and trusted formation (back 4), perhaps started with Diallo as well as Romeu and essentially tried to play in two banks of 4 defenders and 5 mids, leaving Armstrong/Adams out for the hoped for break.

However, hindsight is always perfect and I'm grateful Liverpool took their foot off the gas or it could have been embarrassing.

Tino needs a break and against Leicester I would switch KWP to right back and play Perraud.
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:02 - Nov 30 with 526 viewsBison

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 09:13 - Nov 30 by saint901

I've now managed to watch most of the Liverpool game and will add my two'penneth.

Liverpool are known for being a team that moves forward at every opportunity and especially with full backs playing as wingers. They are not unusual in doing that but perhaps a bit better than most. They can do this because they have reliable central defenders and defensive mids who are disciplined. They also have strikers who can convert a high proportion of the chances created.

It seems that in the first half, the tactics were to match the way Liverpool play and throw full backs forward, relying on Bednarek (who had a nightmare), Salisu (who looked totally confused) and Romeu (who looked unhappy playing where he did) to hold the centre ground.

If the quality of the players was roughly equal, then this is actually not a bad tactic. Unfortunately the Liverpool players are better in most positions than ours. Instead of limiting the space and blocking the wide areas Liverpool like to exploit therefore, we offered up exactly what they wanted. We also conceded early, reducing confidence and that prevented us from playing the ball out of the danger areas quickly.

The second half was better (the Van D goal was a scrappy accident) but by then Liverpool were in cruise mode.

I think RH got this one wrong.

It's fine to play an attacking formation against mid table teams because often it works. Against a good side - hardly ever.

If I were manager, I think I would have started with a tried and trusted formation (back 4), perhaps started with Diallo as well as Romeu and essentially tried to play in two banks of 4 defenders and 5 mids, leaving Armstrong/Adams out for the hoped for break.

However, hindsight is always perfect and I'm grateful Liverpool took their foot off the gas or it could have been embarrassing.

Tino needs a break and against Leicester I would switch KWP to right back and play Perraud.

Good analysis , I dont think there is anything wrong with trying to out smart the opposition but perhaps against Liverpool at home was the wrong one , we have played well against some of the other big teams with the main issue being our finishing is not top 4 standard and all our goalies are bottom 4 standard.

It really gets my goat when 'fans' call for Ralf's head whenever we have a set back but not once have these fans suggested a realistic alternative...... Steve Bruce anyone ?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:17 - Nov 30 with 517 viewssaint901

I agree that RH has to evolve and adapt his tactics but also agree that Liverpool away is not the game to do that.

I fear that relegation this season may well come down to goal difference and heavy defeats are to be avoided. RH usually plays the percentage game in doing that and has had some decent away results against good teams, so why he chose to junk all of that at Anfield, I don't know.

The December fixture list is a mare but also an opportunity, I'd settle for 8 to 9 points starting with a draw tomorrow evening, a win v Brighton, a draw at Palace, a win v Brentford and perhaps a draw with Spurs. That puts us about a point a game which could be enough.

However 7 games in a month is tough. I can therefore see why RH went with a different formation to try things out but in doing so I think he went a little too far.

With the quality we have in the squad (talk of a "smaller" squad always winds me up because most Prem clubs have the same size squad) he needs to save the quality players a little for games where they can make a difference. For games where he leaves them out (at least for the whole game), he needs a system that is hard to score against. I would have liked to have seen the latter at Anfield - but we didn't. Instead we went toe to toe with a team who have played that way for three seasons. It was an error.

To be fair, he recognised that, pulled off Bednarek and reverted to a more familiar system in the second half, but the game was away by then.
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:32 - Nov 30 with 512 viewsbarry_sanchez

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:17 - Nov 30 by saint901

I agree that RH has to evolve and adapt his tactics but also agree that Liverpool away is not the game to do that.

I fear that relegation this season may well come down to goal difference and heavy defeats are to be avoided. RH usually plays the percentage game in doing that and has had some decent away results against good teams, so why he chose to junk all of that at Anfield, I don't know.

The December fixture list is a mare but also an opportunity, I'd settle for 8 to 9 points starting with a draw tomorrow evening, a win v Brighton, a draw at Palace, a win v Brentford and perhaps a draw with Spurs. That puts us about a point a game which could be enough.

However 7 games in a month is tough. I can therefore see why RH went with a different formation to try things out but in doing so I think he went a little too far.

With the quality we have in the squad (talk of a "smaller" squad always winds me up because most Prem clubs have the same size squad) he needs to save the quality players a little for games where they can make a difference. For games where he leaves them out (at least for the whole game), he needs a system that is hard to score against. I would have liked to have seen the latter at Anfield - but we didn't. Instead we went toe to toe with a team who have played that way for three seasons. It was an error.

To be fair, he recognised that, pulled off Bednarek and reverted to a more familiar system in the second half, but the game was away by then.

Our centrebacks aren't good enough for this League and neither are the goalkeepers, add to the fact our goal threat isn't up to standard either and you have your problems and solutions right in front of you.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 16:44 - Nov 30 with 445 viewssaint901

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 11:32 - Nov 30 by barry_sanchez

Our centrebacks aren't good enough for this League and neither are the goalkeepers, add to the fact our goal threat isn't up to standard either and you have your problems and solutions right in front of you.

I was always taught on coaching courses that you start with a score of 100 for the outfield players - 10 each. That score represents that player paying as expected without serious errors.

If you score the players post match and the total is less than 65, you've probably lost. Score between 65 and 85 = draw. Score over 85 and you've probably won. It's not perfect but if you do this as a coach for game after game you begin to see which players are consistently below 6.5 and which are over 8.5.

You can impact a player score by playing them in or out of position or by asking them to do things they are not coached or suited for. Nobody is going to ask JWP to play CF and expect an 8.5

I've done this over this season and whilst it's subjective and just a guide, it's still a close correlation.

On this measure, you are correct in that our centre backs struggle to get to and maintain a "winning" score. Equally so do our strikers.

Goalkeepers are different. Their margin of error is much narrower and they should be aiming at a score of 9+ every match.
Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 17:43 - Nov 30 with 429 viewsBicester_North

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 16:44 - Nov 30 by saint901

I was always taught on coaching courses that you start with a score of 100 for the outfield players - 10 each. That score represents that player paying as expected without serious errors.

If you score the players post match and the total is less than 65, you've probably lost. Score between 65 and 85 = draw. Score over 85 and you've probably won. It's not perfect but if you do this as a coach for game after game you begin to see which players are consistently below 6.5 and which are over 8.5.

You can impact a player score by playing them in or out of position or by asking them to do things they are not coached or suited for. Nobody is going to ask JWP to play CF and expect an 8.5

I've done this over this season and whilst it's subjective and just a guide, it's still a close correlation.

On this measure, you are correct in that our centre backs struggle to get to and maintain a "winning" score. Equally so do our strikers.

Goalkeepers are different. Their margin of error is much narrower and they should be aiming at a score of 9+ every match.

How does that work, you keep a book with you and mark them down every time there’s an error? You can’t just watch your own players with the ball constantly, you have to watch the shape and movement off the ball, and the opposition.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 18:00 - Nov 30 with 417 viewssaint901

Southampton At Liverpool The Verdict on 17:43 - Nov 30 by Bicester_North

How does that work, you keep a book with you and mark them down every time there’s an error? You can’t just watch your own players with the ball constantly, you have to watch the shape and movement off the ball, and the opposition.

I use my phone to keep some notes on players but mainly it's done post match thinking about the good and not so good things both in and out of possession.

I tend to find that the good and bad things each player does stay with you for 24 hours or so.

It's not perfect and absolutely subjective but it was something I was taught when I was learning how to coach and which has stayed with me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024