Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Club taking the p*ss 12:56 - Dec 1 with 2601 viewsfranniesTache

So Saints have decided to give tickets for a tenner for students? Utter f*cking p*ss take this, given how many folk are priced out of going these days how about they prioritise locals instead of students.

Club taking the p*ss on 13:01 - Dec 1 with 2588 viewssaint901

Don't see a problem really.

There are 4 home games in December and what with Christmas shopping and trying to save a little for the festivities, I suspect that many who attend games as time and finance allow will be stretched to attend all four.

Add in a mid week game against not exactly a household name and any move to increase attendance is surely welcome?
Club taking the p*ss on 13:04 - Dec 1 with 2583 viewsfranniesTache

Don't have a problem with the ticket for a tenner, i do have a problem with them going to students when locals are being charged £60.

Plenty of local lads would jump at the chance to go for a tenner so why give it to a student who's not from southampton?

That's the bit that takes the p*ss.

It's SOUTHAMPTON football club at the end of the day
Club taking the p*ss on 13:18 - Dec 1 with 2545 viewsSaintNick

Club taking the p*ss on 13:04 - Dec 1 by franniesTache

Don't have a problem with the ticket for a tenner, i do have a problem with them going to students when locals are being charged £60.

Plenty of local lads would jump at the chance to go for a tenner so why give it to a student who's not from southampton?

That's the bit that takes the p*ss.

It's SOUTHAMPTON football club at the end of the day

I can see both sides of the fence on this one, on one hand we have loyal fans who are paying full price but on the other we have empty seats that we need to fill.

I think they should have also offered it to those on the data base who had been season ticket holders.

If they had made it kids for a tenner, probably no one would have been that bothered, but students are seen as a different entity than children.

What they should have done is made the Newcastle game in January £10 for students then all those who come from the area would be home for xmas

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Club taking the p*ss on 13:19 - Dec 1 with 2546 viewssaint901

How many players actually come from Southampton or close by?

The days of local clubs playing only local people have long gone. Equally the days of only locals supporting a local club have gone.

Old Trafford, Anfield, Arsenal etc on match days are quiet because they are full of tourists. The clubs don't care because a tourist who goes only once will pay £60/80/100 a ticket and that's all that matters.

A lot of students are locals. Not so many as you think go away to Uni now because it's too expensive. They live at home and attend Uni. Many of those eligible for tickets at £10 probably live closer to the ground than I do. (An hour's drive).

Finally, many people "support" the club that they first saw in action. bringing people into a game that would perhaps be not full otherwise and capturing their loyalty is playing a long game.

As I said, I'm comfortable with the stance and even admire it.
Club taking the p*ss on 15:09 - Dec 1 with 2412 viewsButty101

Club taking the p*ss on 13:19 - Dec 1 by saint901

How many players actually come from Southampton or close by?

The days of local clubs playing only local people have long gone. Equally the days of only locals supporting a local club have gone.

Old Trafford, Anfield, Arsenal etc on match days are quiet because they are full of tourists. The clubs don't care because a tourist who goes only once will pay £60/80/100 a ticket and that's all that matters.

A lot of students are locals. Not so many as you think go away to Uni now because it's too expensive. They live at home and attend Uni. Many of those eligible for tickets at £10 probably live closer to the ground than I do. (An hour's drive).

Finally, many people "support" the club that they first saw in action. bringing people into a game that would perhaps be not full otherwise and capturing their loyalty is playing a long game.

As I said, I'm comfortable with the stance and even admire it.

Fella you are talking absolute rubbish. When have local players ever filled the team? Certainly not in my life time.,

As for support. Our support is not built on day trippers as we not a successful brand. We may of had a handful when Yoshida played for us but that would it.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Club taking the p*ss on 15:47 - Dec 1 with 2344 viewsdirk_doone

Club taking the p*ss on 15:09 - Dec 1 by Butty101

Fella you are talking absolute rubbish. When have local players ever filled the team? Certainly not in my life time.,

As for support. Our support is not built on day trippers as we not a successful brand. We may of had a handful when Yoshida played for us but that would it.

You're dead right there. As, arguably, for a club of our size, the most underachieving team in the country, certainly in terms of tophies won, our fans mostly come from the local area or their fathers did, and they have to be pretty stoical to keep turning up. There is not a lot to attract glory hunters from outside the area, although the little bit of success we had in the late70s-early 80s may have attracted a few. We do get some Asian students from the local universities attending, however, and it's probably good for the Club if they can attract more students, of all nationalities, who might become long-term fans..

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Club taking the p*ss on 15:53 - Dec 1 with 2328 viewsfranniesTache

It's not even that deep for me, Southampton football club represents the city of Southampton and the people from there.

It's not a rich city, and a lot of those people have been priced out, so if the club has an opportunity to give back to that community, even if it's just for one game, then they should.

If that's tickets for local lads, people unemployed etc for a tenner, or lads and dads deals, then that's what they should be doing.

If after that there's tickets over offer them to students. But look after the locals first cause we're the club, and when the sh*t hits the fan in the future we'll still be here as we can't walk away, it's our city after all.
Club taking the p*ss on 16:04 - Dec 1 with 2314 viewsBridders2

Club taking the p*ss on 15:47 - Dec 1 by dirk_doone

You're dead right there. As, arguably, for a club of our size, the most underachieving team in the country, certainly in terms of tophies won, our fans mostly come from the local area or their fathers did, and they have to be pretty stoical to keep turning up. There is not a lot to attract glory hunters from outside the area, although the little bit of success we had in the late70s-early 80s may have attracted a few. We do get some Asian students from the local universities attending, however, and it's probably good for the Club if they can attract more students, of all nationalities, who might become long-term fans..

Saints are not just seen as local town club, they are viewed as THE south coast club, which is why they get support all along the coast down to the Devon/Dorset border. They get plenty from the B'mouth bay area and Sussex.
If they want to build their support they should offer cheap tickets to these areas.
Login to get fewer ads

Club taking the p*ss on 16:22 - Dec 1 with 2282 viewsdirk_doone

Club taking the p*ss on 16:04 - Dec 1 by Bridders2

Saints are not just seen as local town club, they are viewed as THE south coast club, which is why they get support all along the coast down to the Devon/Dorset border. They get plenty from the B'mouth bay area and Sussex.
If they want to build their support they should offer cheap tickets to these areas.

I agree with both you and Frannie. Cheap tickets for younger fans is a good idea, especially for the less attractive matches. Our pricing structure doesn't encourage them at the moment. There is a family centre for children to attend with their parents but there is not much effort made to attract fans in their teens and early 20s to come on their own or with friends. Pompey have had a big drive to attract this age group, with heavily discounted season tickets. A season ticket for a 17-year-old at Fratton costs just £68 anywhere in the ground, and they don't have to be accompanied by a parent.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2021 16:24]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Club taking the p*ss on 17:03 - Dec 1 with 2222 viewsSaintsforeverj

I agree Frannies. Again it's because the club have got the ticket pricing completely wrong in the first place. There are again loads of tickets available for tonight's game. It's a category B game so very expensive. This on a cold Wednesday night against a team in the lower half of the table and the game is on TV. Make the tickets cheaper for the loyal fans in the first place. Not for a load of students who probably couldn't care a less about the club. I know plenty Saints fans who just can't afford 50 or 60 pounds a ticket, so what do they do? They reward people who have never been to ground in their life.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2021 17:05]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Club taking the p*ss on 17:44 - Dec 1 with 2177 viewsPoirot

A couple of hundred tickets im not fussed, its a bit of marketing and creates some dosh to pay for something.
Club taking the p*ss on 22:40 - Dec 1 with 2070 viewsWestEndBoy

Season ticket holders are constantly being taken piss out of.seems every home game there is some offer on match tickets a lot more attractive than the 700 quid I have forked out for a season ticket.can’t even get in the ground on time these days
Club taking the p*ss on 23:08 - Dec 1 with 2038 viewsNumber_58

I assume the bloke who walked up the stairway near me with a tray full of alcoholic drinks wasn't a regular football goer. Nor the two people I overheard before the game discussing where to meet afterwards. After some debate they finally agreed to meet by the statue. One said "whose statue is it?". The other one said "I think it's George Best". To which the first person replied "Who's George Best?". I kid you not.
Club taking the p*ss on 08:37 - Dec 2 with 1900 viewsJaySaint

Club taking the p*ss on 23:08 - Dec 1 by Number_58

I assume the bloke who walked up the stairway near me with a tray full of alcoholic drinks wasn't a regular football goer. Nor the two people I overheard before the game discussing where to meet afterwards. After some debate they finally agreed to meet by the statue. One said "whose statue is it?". The other one said "I think it's George Best". To which the first person replied "Who's George Best?". I kid you not.

I get what you are saying, but in reality, so what?
is football (or saints games) a closed shop?
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 8:38]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Club taking the p*ss on 08:55 - Dec 2 with 1882 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Club taking the p*ss on 23:08 - Dec 1 by Number_58

Are you serious? Christ.

Probably the same helmets who were singing about teams being "battered everywhere they go" in a scottish accent. Idiots.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Club taking the p*ss on 14:04 - Dec 2 with 1793 viewsNumber_58

Club taking the p*ss on 08:37 - Dec 2 by JaySaint

I get what you are saying, but in reality, so what?
is football (or saints games) a closed shop?
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 8:38]

I wasn't giving an opinion, just commenting on a couple of strange things I saw/heard last night. The guy with the tray of drinks got half way up the stand before a steward chased after him and stopped him. Maybe he thought it was a rugby match.
Club taking the p*ss on 14:42 - Dec 2 with 1781 viewsCenturion

IMO opinion the students are part of the local community. We should be proud that they have chosen to study at the University of Southampton. A Russell Group University and a great asset to the City.
Club taking the p*ss on 14:52 - Dec 2 with 1774 viewsSaintsforeverj

Club taking the p*ss on 14:42 - Dec 2 by Centurion

IMO opinion the students are part of the local community. We should be proud that they have chosen to study at the University of Southampton. A Russell Group University and a great asset to the City.

Like the student who was displaying a Man United flag from their hall of residence window, then gets a cheap ticket to a Saints game?

Most of these students are probably from other parts of the country and support other teams. Meanwhile, my neighbour who is Saints mad, didn't get offered this deal and would have had to pay 200 pounds for his family to attend. He couldn't afford it so didn't go.

Loads of empty seats again on Saturday again, having looked at the online ticket sales. Perhaps they could try to sell to the Welsh at £5 a piece and leave loyal Saints fans sat at home wishing they could afford to go?
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 14:54]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Club taking the p*ss on 15:32 - Dec 2 with 1732 viewsfranniesTache

Club taking the p*ss on 14:52 - Dec 2 by Saintsforeverj

Like the student who was displaying a Man United flag from their hall of residence window, then gets a cheap ticket to a Saints game?

Most of these students are probably from other parts of the country and support other teams. Meanwhile, my neighbour who is Saints mad, didn't get offered this deal and would have had to pay 200 pounds for his family to attend. He couldn't afford it so didn't go.

Loads of empty seats again on Saturday again, having looked at the online ticket sales. Perhaps they could try to sell to the Welsh at £5 a piece and leave loyal Saints fans sat at home wishing they could afford to go?
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 14:54]

Spot on
Club taking the p*ss on 15:45 - Dec 2 with 1719 viewsChesham_Saint

Certainly more prestigious than that polytechnic the skates have emblazoned on their shirt fronts.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Club taking the p*ss on 11:32 - Dec 3 with 1596 viewsbarry_sanchez

I agree but not to the point of its important to the football club, what does the University do for the football club? Its great we have a Russell Group (albeit not an original red brick) University but I couldn't give two shites about finding a similarity between the two.

Give the spares to postcodes that are the most deprived within the City or closest to the ground via a lottery applied to from online or a first come first serve basis.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024