Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January Transfer Window 21:15 - Dec 20 with 60366 viewsHullDale

With about ten days until the transfer window opens, what’s everyone’s thoughts on the business we should be doing in January?

I’ve tried to pull squad details together as best as I can from memory here:

Joel Coleman (permanent, Summer 2022)
Jay Lynch (permanent, Summer 2022)
Brad Wade (permanent, Summer 2022)

Jim McNulty (permanent, Summer 2022)
Eoghan O'Connell (permanent, Summer 2022)
Jeriel Dorsett (loan, Summer 2022)
Sam Graham (permanent, Summer 2023)
Max Taylor (permanent, Summer 2023)
Joe Dunne (permanent, Summer 2022)
Matt Done (permanent, Summer 2022)
Aidy White (permanent, Summer 2023)
Corey O’Keeffe (loan, January 2022)

Liam Kelly (permanent, Summer 2023)
George Broadbent (loan, January 2022)
Conor Grant (permanent, Summer 2023)
Jimmy Keohane (permanent, Summer 2023)
Aaron Morley (permanent, Summer 2022)
Ethan Brierley (permanent, Summer 2022)
Stephen Dooley (permanent, Summer 2022)
Alex Newby (permanent, Summer 2022)

Abraham Odoh (permanent, Summer 2023)
Jake Beesley (permanent, Summer 2023)
Josh Andrews (loan, Summer 2022)
Danny Cashman (loan, Summer 2022)

For me, I'd be looking at O'Keeffe permanently as a priority, as well as trying to tie some of the regular first team squad down to longer deals (Summer 2022 as it stands could see an exodus!) - Coleman, O'Connell, Dooley & Newby would be the obvious contenders.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Broadbent (& maybe Cashman) head back to their parent clubs in January, with maybe Morley moving on for a fee too.

Whatever happens, now the club seems to be more settled, hopefully Stockdale will have the chance to continue shaping the squad into his own - with an emphasis on more permanent players coming in. A centre half and a natural goal poacher (in the Alfie / Dagnall mould) coming in and we could really be setting up for a strong second half of the season.

This post has been edited by an administrator
January Transfer Window on 23:15 - Dec 20 with 13016 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Whilst Dooley has shown a bit more intent in the last few games I personally think we could do much better.......same with Done. RS inherited this pair from BBM and BotBot's new summer contract bizz, so not his personal choice. Let them go.

Agree with Cashman and Broadbent returning to their Clubs, pity, had high hopes with Cashman.
January Transfer Window on 10:45 - Dec 21 with 12730 viewsboromat

I think it might be a busier January than we want it to be. Could definitely see Morley and O'Connell being sold.

If that was the case we'd probably want a couple of defenders to come in. At least one experienced centre back.

Midfield I wouldn't be as worried but there would be a stick or twist question against Broadbent. I'd hope Brierley starts to get some minutes.

Up top it depends what funds are available but it would be nice to have a new addition there. Unless we think Cashman is going to start get chances and stepping up.

Think we all want O'Keefe to sign permanent. Goalkeeper situation is interesting with the club in the driving situation with all 3 as I can't see them being in high demand. Otherwise most of the summer out of contract players I think will be offered or not offered deals completely based on value for money as they're all decent league 2 players but they're all replaceable. We will want to have a reasonable amount of continuity.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

January Transfer Window on 11:03 - Dec 21 with 12698 views442Dale

Would try and keep it quite simple and identify 2/3 players that add to what we have where it matters. A lot centres around O’Connell and it might be controversial but if we can get a half decent price, I’d sell him rather than risk him leaving for nothing in the summer.

If it results in us getting a reasonably solid centre half and some steel in midfield, that would hopefully be enough to cover his loss and let us start to plan longer term. What’s the worse that could happen? We are mid-table, in little danger and defensively inconsistent right now. Getting in a couple of players who would allow us to look a bit more sound as a whole and a foundation which we could take into next season.

The biggest worry is what sort of interest may come our way for Beesley. It’s been mentioned before how he’s similar in many ways to Murray as a player, unfortunately his scoring form over the winter months has a striking resemblance to Murray’s in 07/08. If he stays, would be fine to go with what we have in forward positions. Obviously, if the opportunity comes up to let him have a month at Prestwich Heys, it’ll develop him further.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

January Transfer Window on 11:09 - Dec 21 with 12687 viewstony_roch975

January Transfer Window on 23:15 - Dec 20 by Yorkshire_Dale

Whilst Dooley has shown a bit more intent in the last few games I personally think we could do much better.......same with Done. RS inherited this pair from BBM and BotBot's new summer contract bizz, so not his personal choice. Let them go.

Agree with Cashman and Broadbent returning to their Clubs, pity, had high hopes with Cashman.

Be careful what you wish for - I suspect money still talks and we might be grateful to keep a solid pro in Dooley who is effective in keeping possession and knitting the midfield together and the versatility of Done whilst other more 'popular' players are off for bigger money.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

January Transfer Window on 11:11 - Dec 21 with 12679 views442Dale

January Transfer Window on 11:09 - Dec 21 by tony_roch975

Be careful what you wish for - I suspect money still talks and we might be grateful to keep a solid pro in Dooley who is effective in keeping possession and knitting the midfield together and the versatility of Done whilst other more 'popular' players are off for bigger money.

Dooley has had a good season. It’s impossible to claim otherwise. It might be because we’ve dropped a level, but Saturday illustrated how players like him are crucial to the way we play.

January Transfer Window on 11:58 - Dec 21 with 12570 viewsAtThePeake

Taylor signed a contract extension a few weeks after the start of the season.

That's part of what worries me about potentially selling O'Connell in January. Although Dorsett has stepped up recently, selling O'Connell leaves us with 4 CBs being Dorsett, McNulty, Graham & Taylor, for 3 positions. I don't see how we can replace EOC at L2 level with anyone reaching his level and I'd worry about the back three unless we could shift Graham or Taylor and bring in two new centre-backs. However, with 18 months left on both of their contracts, I can't see them being desperate to leave and I don't see anyone wanting to take a chance on either of them based on what we've seen so far.

I'm not as bothered by the need for a striker as some, but would like to see Broadbent replaced with a proper defensive midfielder to give us the option to go three in midfield when required.

Tangled up in blue.

January Transfer Window on 12:20 - Dec 21 with 12513 viewselectricblue

Broadbent and Cashman can go back in Jan....
RS should be looking at giving Brierley some minutes like a few have said.
Also Done can go aswell.
Put Wade back out on loan.

If possible make OKeefe a perminent signing....

I can see O'Connell moving in Jan or the Summer unless he signs on but i dont think he will....

Graham needs to get fit and playing on a reqular basis before any decision.

DM.
CB.

Another striker or give a youngster a few minutes......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

January Transfer Window on 13:21 - Dec 21 with 12381 viewsDale92

just had a google seems like Kelly and Bess both share the same agent. so we have some sort of working relationship with said agent. Hopefully we can keep both this window, id expect both will attract interest.

This is the One, I've waited for

Login to get fewer ads

January Transfer Window on 14:53 - Dec 21 with 12254 views442Dale

January Transfer Window on 11:58 - Dec 21 by AtThePeake

Taylor signed a contract extension a few weeks after the start of the season.

That's part of what worries me about potentially selling O'Connell in January. Although Dorsett has stepped up recently, selling O'Connell leaves us with 4 CBs being Dorsett, McNulty, Graham & Taylor, for 3 positions. I don't see how we can replace EOC at L2 level with anyone reaching his level and I'd worry about the back three unless we could shift Graham or Taylor and bring in two new centre-backs. However, with 18 months left on both of their contracts, I can't see them being desperate to leave and I don't see anyone wanting to take a chance on either of them based on what we've seen so far.

I'm not as bothered by the need for a striker as some, but would like to see Broadbent replaced with a proper defensive midfielder to give us the option to go three in midfield when required.

That’s the only worry around selling O’Connell - that we have so many other CH who would then need to be used. Prior to his upturn in form, Dorsett going back would have been an option but now maybe seeing if Graham could go out on loan is the best solution for club and player.

January Transfer Window on 15:47 - Dec 21 with 12145 viewsjonahwhereru

Agree Broadbent and Cashman are not getting enough minutes and should return to their parent clubs this winter.
Concentrating on this window, I would be tempted to offer Bonsey a new deal now to test the water, for his intents this summer. Realistically we would not get much for him in January. I am speculating about 50k max. I would be tempted to keep him and see what happens in the summer at that rate.
Morley is interesting. Not sure the queue to take him would be that long, despite all the positive stats and his number of games in L1. If someone offered 50k plus for him in January I would be tempted to take it, as midfield is probably our strongest area for competition and selling him would allow us to bring in an experienced ball winner, who can bark at the youngsters.
As for the forward line a Dagnell would be great, but tier 5 teams are also hunting for those, and can pay more. We could get one but that would be at the expense of Beesley. Now his record of goals per chance is poor, but his work rate is exceptional. I am sure he would be a good fit for any L1 or L2 team that already had a poacher to play along side him. With 18 months left on his contract we would be in a strong bargaining position and we could be selling at the “top of the tide”. But to me he embodies what Dale supports like to see. Resist the money and start contract extension discussions in the summer.
Still think O’Keefe is a done deal given he has not been cup tied by Mansfield. Probably wrong, but life is all about opinions.
January Transfer Window on 17:30 - Dec 21 with 11988 viewsEllDale

First bit of speculation I’ve seen so far links Dale with Halifax Town centreback Niall Maher.
Manchester based who played for Bolton and Bury when they were last in League One before spending time in Ireland with Galway.
Would need a transfer fee of course to prise him from the Shay.
January Transfer Window on 17:38 - Dec 21 with 11967 viewsBrierls

Signing O'Keeffe permanently will be a priority. My heart says it will happen and it's a done deal, my head is exercising caution.

I'd also like to see us sign a defensive midfielder and a striker. I think RS will be looking to add experience rather than untried youngsters.

The defensive midfielder would replace Broadbent, who hasn't made much of an impact. The striker would be in addition to Cashman as he's on a season long loan, but I'd understand and have no complaints if he was to go back to Coventry.

If we can get Graham out on loan to get some games, fitness and confidence then great. Try and sign a dominant centre half as a replacement.

I think it would take a very good offer to see EOC or Morley leave in January, regardless of them being out of contract in the summer. Likewise, it would take a silly offer for us to entertain the idea of selling Kelly or Bees.

Of the players out of contract in the summer, I'd be looking to tie down Coleman, EOC (unlikely), Morley, Brierley and Dooley. The jury is out on Newby for me. Dooley is one to divide opinion, but for all the criticism he gets, we seem to be a much better side with him in it.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2021 17:40]
January Transfer Window on 17:44 - Dec 21 with 11946 viewsrkershaw

January Transfer Window on 17:30 - Dec 21 by EllDale

First bit of speculation I’ve seen so far links Dale with Halifax Town centreback Niall Maher.
Manchester based who played for Bolton and Bury when they were last in League One before spending time in Ireland with Galway.

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1109018740?-1906:1007
January Transfer Window on 18:00 - Dec 21 with 11921 viewsNorthernDale

Newby as ability, but his pace and decision making is an issue for me at times, in the case of Graham, is his problem more psychological, rather then ability. RS will know better then us in respect to this, away at Harrogate he came on at right back and looked OK, this poses the question is he more of a RB, then a CD?

I feel Cashman has not hard a fair chance and would he show is ability, if he got more game time, rather then odd minutes here and there. I would send Broadbent back, he as not impressed me at all.

We need a Lund type midfielder and another striker, besides another central defender, I would also sign O'Keefe
January Transfer Window on 18:00 - Dec 21 with 11919 viewsHullDale

The O'Connell point is an interesting one for me... I think I expected him to be off in January, but his post match interview on Sat seemed to suggest he had found a new purpose since Stockdale came in, supporting and coaching the youngsters as well as playing his own game. I'm not naïve enough to think that one interview proves he isn't going anywhere, but the opportunity to hone his coaching skills as a captain in a team hopefully challenging for promotion from league 2 will be at least as fulfilling as being a squad player / starter in a mid table league 1 side.

Also agree re: mixed feelings on Dooley - he is never going to be our best player, but with the style of football we seem to be trying to play we don't need 11 superstars. I remember a quote about United along the lines of 'every team needs a Darren Fletcher'... the more I think about it, the more Dooley could be our Fletcher.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2021 18:01]
January Transfer Window on 19:04 - Dec 21 with 11771 viewsD_Alien

January Transfer Window on 18:00 - Dec 21 by HullDale

The O'Connell point is an interesting one for me... I think I expected him to be off in January, but his post match interview on Sat seemed to suggest he had found a new purpose since Stockdale came in, supporting and coaching the youngsters as well as playing his own game. I'm not naïve enough to think that one interview proves he isn't going anywhere, but the opportunity to hone his coaching skills as a captain in a team hopefully challenging for promotion from league 2 will be at least as fulfilling as being a squad player / starter in a mid table league 1 side.

Also agree re: mixed feelings on Dooley - he is never going to be our best player, but with the style of football we seem to be trying to play we don't need 11 superstars. I remember a quote about United along the lines of 'every team needs a Darren Fletcher'... the more I think about it, the more Dooley could be our Fletcher.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2021 18:01]

The one thing that Dooley's added to his game this season (possibly down to coaching by RS) is his ability to tackle, which was by far the weakest side of his game and untenable in a successful midfield. That's changed now. Any manager should be able to improve players, and it seems Dooley is a good example; Dorsett another

It's really difficult to gauge O'Connell's reactions. Good point about his latest interview but at times it looks like he's tearing his hair out on the pitch. Maybe he likes doing that! I agree it would give him some sense of purpose (helping mould the younger lads) and perhaps he's learning a lot which will help him in a future coaching/management role

Now, if we did sign another experienced CB, would that change his perspective on whether to stay? Not something that RS can cater for tbh - RS has to do what's best for the team, and i'm sure he will
[Post edited 21 Dec 2021 19:06]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

January Transfer Window on 20:26 - Dec 21 with 11616 viewsboromat

January Transfer Window on 15:47 - Dec 21 by jonahwhereru

Agree Broadbent and Cashman are not getting enough minutes and should return to their parent clubs this winter.
Concentrating on this window, I would be tempted to offer Bonsey a new deal now to test the water, for his intents this summer. Realistically we would not get much for him in January. I am speculating about 50k max. I would be tempted to keep him and see what happens in the summer at that rate.
Morley is interesting. Not sure the queue to take him would be that long, despite all the positive stats and his number of games in L1. If someone offered 50k plus for him in January I would be tempted to take it, as midfield is probably our strongest area for competition and selling him would allow us to bring in an experienced ball winner, who can bark at the youngsters.
As for the forward line a Dagnell would be great, but tier 5 teams are also hunting for those, and can pay more. We could get one but that would be at the expense of Beesley. Now his record of goals per chance is poor, but his work rate is exceptional. I am sure he would be a good fit for any L1 or L2 team that already had a poacher to play along side him. With 18 months left on his contract we would be in a strong bargaining position and we could be selling at the “top of the tide”. But to me he embodies what Dale supports like to see. Resist the money and start contract extension discussions in the summer.
Still think O’Keefe is a done deal given he has not been cup tied by Mansfield. Probably wrong, but life is all about opinions.

Completely disagree on the 50k for Morley. I struggle to understand how fans under rate him so much. The stats speak for themselves! Maybe it's his demeanor on the pitch but for me he's one of the most technically gifted players we've developed in recent times. He's a different player to Allen but I'd put him above Camps. We should be looking at 6 figures, if we had him tied down on a long contract we would be pushing high 6 figure fee.

January Transfer Window on 20:32 - Dec 21 with 11596 views442Dale

January Transfer Window on 20:26 - Dec 21 by boromat

Completely disagree on the 50k for Morley. I struggle to understand how fans under rate him so much. The stats speak for themselves! Maybe it's his demeanor on the pitch but for me he's one of the most technically gifted players we've developed in recent times. He's a different player to Allen but I'd put him above Camps. We should be looking at 6 figures, if we had him tied down on a long contract we would be pushing high 6 figure fee.

Morley’s problem, something he’ll have to really work on if he does want to play higher up the leagues, is his lack of awareness when the ball is coming towards him in terms of who is around him from the opposition. Harrogate away was a good example when it led to a goal and he also gets caught in the middle of the pitch. His passing and ability around the box is good and the stats do indeed speak for themselves, but Saturday illustrated why perhaps Dooley is better suited at the moment.

If we were offered 150k, would take it.

January Transfer Window on 21:19 - Dec 21 with 11525 viewsleedsdale

January Transfer Window on 17:30 - Dec 21 by EllDale

Halifax fan I work with says he is a class act
January Transfer Window on 21:48 - Dec 21 with 11451 viewsboromat

January Transfer Window on 20:32 - Dec 21 by 442Dale

Morley’s problem, something he’ll have to really work on if he does want to play higher up the leagues, is his lack of awareness when the ball is coming towards him in terms of who is around him from the opposition. Harrogate away was a good example when it led to a goal and he also gets caught in the middle of the pitch. His passing and ability around the box is good and the stats do indeed speak for themselves, but Saturday illustrated why perhaps Dooley is better suited at the moment.

If we were offered 150k, would take it.

In Jan 150k I think I agree we'd have to accept but would be the low end. Anything less we'd be best off utilising him until the end of the season.

January Transfer Window on 01:06 - Dec 22 with 11228 viewsAtThePeake

January Transfer Window on 15:47 - Dec 21 by jonahwhereru

Re: O'Keeffe not being cup-tied, I'd say that does pretty much prove that he won't be playing for Mansfield this season.

Whether or not he'll be staying with us is a different matter as I suspect his performances for us will have alerted quite a few other sides with bigger budgets to his availability in January.

Re: The points on O'Connell finding the role of coaching the youngsters along to be a fulfilling one, I'm not sure I'd agree there. He's only 26 and if he is interested in a future in coaching there is plenty of time to think about that down the line. He'll be at his peak as a player at the moment so right now I suspect he'll want the best for his playing career and his family and there will be better financial offers elsewhere you would imagine.

Doom-mongering post but I'm programmed to fear the worst, would love nothing more than the pair of them to sign deals in January.

Tangled up in blue.

January Transfer Window on 05:20 - Dec 22 with 11127 viewsD_Alien

January Transfer Window on 01:06 - Dec 22 by AtThePeake

Re: O'Keeffe not being cup-tied, I'd say that does pretty much prove that he won't be playing for Mansfield this season.

Whether or not he'll be staying with us is a different matter as I suspect his performances for us will have alerted quite a few other sides with bigger budgets to his availability in January.

Re: The points on O'Connell finding the role of coaching the youngsters along to be a fulfilling one, I'm not sure I'd agree there. He's only 26 and if he is interested in a future in coaching there is plenty of time to think about that down the line. He'll be at his peak as a player at the moment so right now I suspect he'll want the best for his playing career and his family and there will be better financial offers elsewhere you would imagine.

Doom-mongering post but I'm programmed to fear the worst, would love nothing more than the pair of them to sign deals in January.

On the other hand, his decision to re-sign for us last summer - even if it was out of a misplaced sense of loyalty to BBM - indicates his thought processes don't just 'follow the money'

We'd just been relegated, and our financial position was subject to huge uncertainties! Did no-one else make him a better offer?

If he goes, he goes, and good luck to him, but its just possible not every footballer sees things through a £-filtered lens (not suggesting that's what you implied)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

January Transfer Window on 08:03 - Dec 22 with 11000 viewsdingdangblue

I can't see any clubs paying transfer fees for 2 players out of contract in 6 months time. Morley and O'Connell won't be going anywhere.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

January Transfer Window on 10:11 - Dec 22 with 10860 viewsDale_Mike

Assuming he doesn’t go to a club in Scotland or abroad would we be due compensation for Morley if he left in the summer? According to google he is still only 21 years old (22 in Feb) & I think he has been at the club his whole career and progressed through the academy.

Everything seems to be weighted in favour of the bigger clubs these days but if this is the case does anyone know how compensation amounts are calculated?
January Transfer Window on 11:50 - Dec 22 with 10678 views49thseason

I have no doubt that other clubs will come knocking and expecting to take our best talent for peanuts, Fortunately the shares issue may mean that we can afford to hold out for better fees if indeed we have any intention of selling anyone. whilst we may need another CH, (maybe 2 by summer) and a defensive midfielder, I think the priority has to be to find a consistent finisher, we are making a boat-load of chances that go begging and we need to take more of them to progress.
I also hope O'Keeffe will sign on permanently we must surely have been talking to Mansfield about him for a while now?

I think the Summer window will see the end of Done and probably McNulty (as a player at least) with maybe Morley and O'Connell leaving too. I would maybe try to sign Dorsett on the basis of his improvement so far and I wouldn't be surprised to see Broadbent come in permanently at some point as I think Stockdale rates him as one for the future. I also wonder how keen Birmingham are to keep Andrews? He has something about him that I think will turn to goals at this level and a possible replacement for Beesley should someone want to pay lots of money for him.

The problem with our situation is that we have almost too many promising players in the squad and probably would accept decent offers for most if not all of them, but that would mean another crazy round of recruitment in the Summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024