Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Djokovic was a football player...? 10:53 - Jan 6 with 3343 viewssaint901

We all know that countries have different approaches to vaccination and how to resist/fight/manage Covid.

Some are contemplating mandatory vaccination and by implication that would mean that visitors to the country may also be required to be vaccinated.

If that happens and some players from a visiting club or national team are unvaccinated, would they - should they - be allowed into the country to play a match?

Football is after all just a game, an entertainment and that is hardly enough reason to breach or make exemptions from a mandate being imposed upon full time residents. The resentment that generates (ergo Australia) is political dynamite.

So, should unvaccinated players be able to compete in countries with a vaccine mandate?
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 12:31 - Jan 6 with 2172 viewsSadoldgit

No. It is their choice not to be vaccinated but at the same time that does not make them immune to other country’s immigration policies over the pandemic.
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 16:00 - Jan 6 with 2117 viewsChesham_Saint

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 12:31 - Jan 6 by Sadoldgit

No. It is their choice not to be vaccinated but at the same time that does not make them immune to other country’s immigration policies over the pandemic.

Shit. I’m beginning the year by agreeing with you Sogs!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 16:10 - Jan 6 with 2106 views1885_SFC

No-Vax Djokovic

(c) 2022 1885_SFC

Old School is Cool

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 16:21 - Jan 6 with 2096 viewssaints__fan__73

If he was a football player then surely he's Mental Matty (Bill Gates murdered the President of Tanazania donchaknow) Le Tissier.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 16:41 - Jan 6 with 2072 viewsChesham_Saint

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 16:10 - Jan 6 by 1885_SFC

No-Vax Djokovic

(c) 2022 1885_SFC

Djocovid, surely?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 16:44 - Jan 6 with 2070 viewsBison

Chris Smalling who plays in Italy for Roma refused to have the jab until the Italians made it mandatory to have to play , his bank account made the final decision and now he is having it.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 19:03 - Jan 6 with 2002 viewsSaintsforeverj

Difficult one,and can see this example being repeated time and time again. I'm triple jabbed and think that people should get jabbed. However, I don't think it's right to be mandating people to put chemicals in their body if they don't want to. I think they certainly should just have the dam thing but I can understand that this is dodgy ground, when we start forcing people to do things without their consent. Djokovic (and anyone) could be asked to be tested daily, and that would be sufficient wouldn't it? The vaccinated can still pass it on. I could freely enter Australia because I'm jabbed but I could still pass it on, so I'm not sure it makes sense to stop the unvaccinated going about their lives. Those jabbed, are still protected anyway. The ones not protected, it's entirely their choice. Yes, the rules are there so all have to follow them, but not sure if I agree with a rule that doesn't stop the virus being passed on just because a person is vaccinated.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 19:06]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 19:35 - Jan 6 with 1966 viewsTimSaint

In some Slavic countries, if you have had Covid and have been fully recovered for more than 180 days, then to them and the Governments of those countries, that is the equivalent of having a jab.

When I was in Slovakia last September, if you went into certain bars, restaurants, or even football stadiums, they asked you for your Vaccine Passport or 180 Day Recovery Certificate.

Perhaps ND thought he would be able to use a similar certificate to gain entry into Australia ?

TimSaint

Login to get fewer ads

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 19:52 - Jan 6 with 1949 viewsBison

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 19:03 - Jan 6 by Saintsforeverj

Difficult one,and can see this example being repeated time and time again. I'm triple jabbed and think that people should get jabbed. However, I don't think it's right to be mandating people to put chemicals in their body if they don't want to. I think they certainly should just have the dam thing but I can understand that this is dodgy ground, when we start forcing people to do things without their consent. Djokovic (and anyone) could be asked to be tested daily, and that would be sufficient wouldn't it? The vaccinated can still pass it on. I could freely enter Australia because I'm jabbed but I could still pass it on, so I'm not sure it makes sense to stop the unvaccinated going about their lives. Those jabbed, are still protected anyway. The ones not protected, it's entirely their choice. Yes, the rules are there so all have to follow them, but not sure if I agree with a rule that doesn't stop the virus being passed on just because a person is vaccinated.

I think this is about fairness , this is what the players think

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 09:41 - Jan 7 with 1819 viewsBazza

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 19:03 - Jan 6 by Saintsforeverj

Well argued but wrong in my opinion. Sure it appears unfair to force people to put chemicals into their bodies but there are consequences; if you get the virus you can be a walking killer spreading the disease, and in particular will expect treatment with huge risk to medics. The virus is spreading in part because of deniers who would take drugs if injured in a traffic accident.
Now huge numbers of school kids are refusing to wear masks. Whether effective or not it’s such a easy thing to wear a mask but perhaps not ‘cool’,- prat’s!
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 10:16 - Jan 7 with 1801 viewsCity_boy

It will be interesting to see what he does happens when the French Open comes around in June. The French won't let him play after implementing new Covid rules this week.

My local park has courts free, that he can book 2 weeks in advance if that helps ?
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 12:24 - Jan 7 with 1776 viewssaint901

Professional sports players have obligations to their sport, fans, teams, sponsors, wage payers, coaches and probably many more.

Some of those at the very top are role models for their sport and as we've seen in Novak's case, his country. This brings extra burdens in terms of obligations.

To compensate for those obligations, many enjoy a very affluent lifestyle outside sport and are pampered and spoilt in the sport. Many (almost all I suggest) love what they do and are literally living their dream.

Covid has added a layer of obligation. Gov'ts have - for whatever reason - decided that their strategy requires no entry to the country for those unvaccinated or who do not meet other terms. These T&C's are not secret. The Aus rules for example do NOT include an exemption if the person/player is a huge draw to a tournament.

If a player (in any sport) decides that they do not want to be vaccinated, then they have to accept that they will potentially breach certain of the above obligations. If so, that is a matter for their own conscience and perhaps the contract lawyers.

(It's also the case that if you want to be stubborn and take on the authorities in this, then Australia would be the last country to take to task!)
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 12:34 - Jan 7 with 1769 viewssaint68

In another great example of covid logic and travel the UK government has decided boarding a plane bound for the UK no longer requires a negative test for vaccinated people...so anyone can now knowingly fly in without any testing and be positive.. yet another ridiculous decision.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 17:10 - Jan 7 with 1728 viewsSaintsforeverj

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 09:41 - Jan 7 by Bazza

Well argued but wrong in my opinion. Sure it appears unfair to force people to put chemicals into their bodies but there are consequences; if you get the virus you can be a walking killer spreading the disease, and in particular will expect treatment with huge risk to medics. The virus is spreading in part because of deniers who would take drugs if injured in a traffic accident.
Now huge numbers of school kids are refusing to wear masks. Whether effective or not it’s such a easy thing to wear a mask but perhaps not ‘cool’,- prat’s!

The issue with this is that a vaccinated person can also be a "walking killer", as they can get it too. If the vaccine stopped you getting it, full stop, that would be a different matter. And that "walking killer" won't kill anyone vaccinated, so people have the choice to be protected. The issue really is should a healthy 20 year old athlete for example, who has no chance statistically of being hospitalised, be forced to have it? The answer would be yes in my view, if it meant you couldn't pass it on. But the vaccinated are still passing the virus on and not being asked to be tested either, because they are vaccinated! So some of those who breezed into St Mary's with their COVID passports, could have been carrying the virus and passed it on.

I know plenty of people vaccinated, who still got the virus. It is true that the majority in hospital are unvaccinated. But they are all mostly over 60 too and / or overweight with medical conditions. So I can see a strong argument to force them to be vaccinated, as their choice obviously affects the NHS. But should we be forcing healthy under 40s and children, when they will only get a cold?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 19:59 - Jan 7 with 1654 viewsJellybaby

The Peoples Republic of Australia has acted horrifically throughout the last 2 years towards those who want the freedom to make their own decisions over what happens to their own bodies, it has been incredibly authoritarian take this for example;

The Novak situation is just the latest example of what was once a great freedom loving country slipping in to an illiberal and extreme fascist state.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 23:59 - Jan 8 with 1531 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 19:59 - Jan 7 by Jellybaby

The Peoples Republic of Australia has acted horrifically throughout the last 2 years towards those who want the freedom to make their own decisions over what happens to their own bodies, it has been incredibly authoritarian take this for example;

The Novak situation is just the latest example of what was once a great freedom loving country slipping in to an illiberal and extreme fascist state.

5.48m deaths world wide attributed to covid. That is 5.48m people who can no longer worry about their civil liberties being eroded. What would you prefer? Losing your life or losing a few “civil liberties”.
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 06:38 - Jan 10 with 1427 viewsJaySaint

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 12:31 - Jan 6 by Sadoldgit

Seems it does.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 09:30 - Jan 10 with 1350 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 06:38 - Jan 10 by JaySaint

Seems it does.

What has the court ruling got to to with the Australian government’s immigration policies around covid? This is a specific case dealing with a specific set of circumstances. It isn’t the Government’s immigration policy on trial. But then you know that.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 9:34]
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 15:47 - Jan 10 with 1286 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 09:30 - Jan 10 by Sadoldgit

What has the court ruling got to to with the Australian government’s immigration policies around covid? This is a specific case dealing with a specific set of circumstances. It isn’t the Government’s immigration policy on trial. But then you know that.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 9:34]

Apparently, according to his Dad, he is some kind of national hero who stands up for the oppressed. He likens him to Spartacus. Spartacus? Funny, I don’t remember him contracting the plague and spreading it to his countrymen instead of going into isolation. Let’s be clear about this. Are we actually saying that someone who is quite good at hitting a ball over a net ican come and go with impunity despite travel restrictions during a world wide pandemic? What kind of hero and saviour of the oppressed gets a positive test and carries on wandering around as normal? Here’s a thought Novak. If you are short of a few million quid and desperate to fill your coffers, just get a couple of jabs like the rest of us then you are good to go.

My son is the new world's Spartacus, who will not tolerate injustice, colonialism and hypocrisy," Srdjan Djokovic told the Serbian media.

"He is imprisoned but has never been freer. He has become the symbol and the leader of the free world, the leader of the world of the nations and [the leader of] poor and needy people.

"The rich world may not allow my son to continue playing tennis. He has shown that even a small country like Serbia can have the best athlete of all time. If they don't let him play, we'll wait to win the 21st Grand Slam at Roland Garros."
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 16:07]
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 18:43 - Jan 10 with 1236 views1885_SFC

The only thing duller than Djokovic himself is tennis fans themselves. What a boring, sad lot they are with all their bleating...

Old School is Cool

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 20:25 - Jan 10 with 1187 viewsJellybaby

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 15:47 - Jan 10 by Sadoldgit

Apparently, according to his Dad, he is some kind of national hero who stands up for the oppressed. He likens him to Spartacus. Spartacus? Funny, I don’t remember him contracting the plague and spreading it to his countrymen instead of going into isolation. Let’s be clear about this. Are we actually saying that someone who is quite good at hitting a ball over a net ican come and go with impunity despite travel restrictions during a world wide pandemic? What kind of hero and saviour of the oppressed gets a positive test and carries on wandering around as normal? Here’s a thought Novak. If you are short of a few million quid and desperate to fill your coffers, just get a couple of jabs like the rest of us then you are good to go.

My son is the new world's Spartacus, who will not tolerate injustice, colonialism and hypocrisy," Srdjan Djokovic told the Serbian media.

"He is imprisoned but has never been freer. He has become the symbol and the leader of the free world, the leader of the world of the nations and [the leader of] poor and needy people.

"The rich world may not allow my son to continue playing tennis. He has shown that even a small country like Serbia can have the best athlete of all time. If they don't let him play, we'll wait to win the 21st Grand Slam at Roland Garros."
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 16:07]

As it always seems with you Sogs on anything Covid related, you miss the main point, it is not about Djokovic, it's about a once great country imposing draconian and discriminatory rules on ANYBODY who believes they have a right to say what does or does not get injected in to their own bodies.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 21:02 - Jan 10 with 1156 views1885_SFC

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 20:25 - Jan 10 by Jellybaby

As it always seems with you Sogs on anything Covid related, you miss the main point, it is not about Djokovic, it's about a once great country imposing draconian and discriminatory rules on ANYBODY who believes they have a right to say what does or does not get injected in to their own bodies.

No it isn't. It's about respecting other countries rules & regulations - whatever you may think of them. If I want to travel to Sierra Leone tomorrow for example, it is compulsory for me to have a yellow fever jab - no ifs or buts - or I'm not allowed in.

I don't particularly want a yellow fever jab (it's my body etc etc)... so I might camp on the border of Sierra Leone and contact the world's media & squinny for days on end like a big girl.

Old School is Cool

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 21:10 - Jan 10 with 1150 viewsSaintsforeverj

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 21:02 - Jan 10 by 1885_SFC

No it isn't. It's about respecting other countries rules & regulations - whatever you may think of them. If I want to travel to Sierra Leone tomorrow for example, it is compulsory for me to have a yellow fever jab - no ifs or buts - or I'm not allowed in.

I don't particularly want a yellow fever jab (it's my body etc etc)... so I might camp on the border of Sierra Leone and contact the world's media & squinny for days on end like a big girl.

You make a good point here and separate out the two discussions. If you go to Saudi Arabia, you have to dress modestly, regardless of who you are, that's the rules in that country. Whether the rule is right or wrong is another argument.

I tend to think that forcing people to have an injection is dodgy ground going forward. It's not about wearing something or behaving in a particular way. This is about putting chemicals in your body and some might have concerns or reasons for not having the jab, just like any person of sound mind can refuse treatment if that's what they wish. But that's the rule to enter Australia, so Djokovic should follow it like everyone. Buy not according to the courts ........
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 21:12]

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 21:21 - Jan 10 with 1133 views1885_SFC

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 21:10 - Jan 10 by Saintsforeverj

You make a good point here and separate out the two discussions. If you go to Saudi Arabia, you have to dress modestly, regardless of who you are, that's the rules in that country. Whether the rule is right or wrong is another argument.

I tend to think that forcing people to have an injection is dodgy ground going forward. It's not about wearing something or behaving in a particular way. This is about putting chemicals in your body and some might have concerns or reasons for not having the jab, just like any person of sound mind can refuse treatment if that's what they wish. But that's the rule to enter Australia, so Djokovic should follow it like everyone. Buy not according to the courts ........
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 21:12]

Indeed. Years ago when my ship visited Damman in Saudi Arabia for a visit, no sooner had the gangway been craned into place when me and a few mates stood on the flight deck waiting to go ashore. The Quartermaster looked at me & told me "No T-shirts/short sleeves as it's a Muslim country". I had to pop down the mess & change into a long sleeve shirt. Same applied in Muscat, Oman.

Their country. Their rules. A pain in the arse but hey-ho...

Old School is Cool

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 21:48 - Jan 10 with 1124 viewsSaintsforeverj

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 21:21 - Jan 10 by 1885_SFC

Indeed. Years ago when my ship visited Damman in Saudi Arabia for a visit, no sooner had the gangway been craned into place when me and a few mates stood on the flight deck waiting to go ashore. The Quartermaster looked at me & told me "No T-shirts/short sleeves as it's a Muslim country". I had to pop down the mess & change into a long sleeve shirt. Same applied in Muscat, Oman.

Their country. Their rules. A pain in the arse but hey-ho...

Yep, it's a very strict Muslim country, so what you say certainly rings true. What was fascinating to see was the number of Saudis crossing the border into Bahrain for a few drinks as they can't officially buy alcohol in SA, showing us how different people view the rules. There were also many of them secretly making their own alcohol! Turkey is another interesting country to visit, as it's more "liberal" but you have to be careful there!
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 21:49]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024