Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My 50th Year Anniversary Of Watching Saints Today 07:45 - Jan 15 with 542 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/56749/my-50th-year-anniv

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
My 50th Year Anniversary Of Watching Saints Today on 10:07 - Jan 18 with 339 viewsSaintNick

Some good posts on the main page with memories of peoples first ever game, Im surprised a few on here didn't put some up on here.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

My 50th Year Anniversary Of Watching Saints Today on 14:31 - Jan 18 with 288 viewssaint901

First match was a 3-1 win against Northampton Town on 23rd November 1963, shortly before my 7th birthday.

Paine scored twice. Chivers was playing at centre forward.

My dad who took me lifted me over the turnstiles and we sat in the upper tier at the Dell with the Milton Rd end just to our right.

My day (who also had a season ticket at Portsmouth) was particularly anxious to keep me focused on Huxford who considered to be the best player on the pitch. I was more interested in the forwards and the can of pop.

Was a regular visitor after that (not every match as had to share with my brother) until I was perhaps 13 when I was allowed to stand on the Milton with my mates. My dad worked nights in Salisbury so for evening games we would have to leg it back to the car in Shirley High St and endure a high speed journey across the Forest to be dropped off.

Stopped going when I was 14+ because I was playing on Saturdays but started going again 1989. Went for my birthday that year and we beat Luton 6-3. Luton escaped the drop that year by the skin of their teeth.

Team was Flowers, Dodd, Benali. Osman, Ruddock, Case, Cockerill, Le Tissier, Rideout, Wallace (Rod), Shearer.. I remember the ground as full but according to the stats around 14,000. Great team though.

A favourite memory is an evening game (forget who). Keeper throws the ball to Case about thirty yards out. Case turns and bangs it up the left wing. A voice from the crowd says "There's no-one there, Jim" another voice says "It's worse than that, he's dead, Jim".

Place fell apart and Case looks over and has a right good laugh.

Great days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024