Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on the visit to Wolves. 10:42 - Jan 16 with 935 viewsA1079

My trip to Wolves proved as fruitless as all my other visits to the ground (putting aside one draw that I had seen).

Your view and assessment of the game is really dictated by which 3rd of the pitch you are sat adjacent to as the long stretch of fans rather than a contained area really does impact on your view of the game and getting any vocal support going - presumably this is why they and Villa do this - perhaps a lesson for our own club on how to maximise your own support and minimise the opposition fans.

I have to say I was sat at the end where JWP scored his wonder goal so my impression of the first half was that we had alot of the ball and some chances (which were difficult to see from where I was) but we failed to take them - plus a more than competent goalkeeper and uncompromising defence for Wolves who seem difficult to score against and is the foundation for their success and high position in the table.

Wolves are not exciting to watch but they are effective, efficient, clinical when they need to be and I have to say (begrudgingly) that their home vocal support was very good.

The game turned on the penalty decision which at the time did not surprise me that it was given but having seen it several times since I would say was the wrong decision. Interestingly before that I did think our defence looked "messy" and not entirely in control. Bednarek plays with his heart on his sleeve but he does not always make the right decisions, Salisu - as good as he can be always looks close to a sending off.

On the whole at half time the sense seemed at our end that we had not made the most of possession and chances.

The 2nd goal has to be down to poor decision making by Forster. Quite why he was where he was - stranded in No Mans Land - is difficult to understand. He made it easy for Wolves to score and effectively at that point you felt the game was up for Saints until of course the wonder free kick by JWP which set us up nicely almost rewarded by an off the bar attempt by Perraud (who I felt had had a good game and is growing into the team nicely).

Then Wolves go up the other end and get a third and all is over. Again a player that has not scored breaks his duck and drought against Saints - players or teams that are looking for their first goal or win must pray that they play Saints as we seem to be the team that keeps giving to opposition players desperate for a confidence booster.

How did I feel when I left the stadium? I kind of felt we did not deserve much and that we had not done enough, but this is when you realise that in the position you are allocated a seat effects your view because since hearing the comments on radio and TV and seeing highlights and playback we actually seem to be somewhat unfortunate not to get something out of the game (and I am more positive now about our game than I wast at 4:50pm yesterday) though the argument against that is - if you don't take your chances and you make silly errors (add in some questionable decisions) you will likely come away with nothing. In truth we did not play badly but we did not punish when we should have done.

What of Wolves? I have already said that they are effective and efficient and they have a good team and good home support. But and it is a big but - their propensity to go down and roll around as if hit by a steam roller and for it to go unpunished was some of the worst I have seen - though not unique sadly these days.

We didn't play badly but we did not play well enough. Romeu and Perraud and JWP worked hard. Our 3 in the centre of defence did not convince me and Forster having had a reasonably good spell seemed indecisive and culminating in being responsible for one goal at least. Redmond was back to doing lots of energetic running and going wide but his end product was poor, indeed our crossing overall lacked accuracy. I think we had something like 10 corners in the first half and I think only one troubled the goalkeeper. I could be wrong as it was at the other end.

I don't enjoy going to Wolves from a day out experience. Easy to get to and I had a good journey but there is little to do when you arrive and the view is not great. Yesterday was made slightly unpleasant by 2 Saints fans nearby who seemed to want to spend the whole match berating and threatening their fellow supporters creating a slightly uncomfortable feel. They were eventually removed and made to leave by stewards and Police and they missed JWP's goal as a result but quite what they hoped to achieve other than "p*ss off" everyone around them I am not sure.

We move on. The result was disappointing, the performance overall not bad but it showed up the need to be clinical when on the front foot. We will probably do enough to get across the line at the end of the day but equally we are not going to shake the coconuts off the tree.

NB: I should add that this was my personal take and reflection on the game I am not for one moment suggesting it is an accurate one.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2022 10:47]
My take on the visit to Wolves. on 17:55 - Jan 16 with 771 viewsNumber_58

A very fair assessment. I've been to about 75 league grounds over the years but for one reason or other Molineaux wasn't one of them, so yesterday was my first visit. My view of the game was that it typified the tiny margins that often decide a football match. If Perraud's header goes in we go home happy with a well deserved draw.
I have to admit that the Wolves vocal support was magnificent. If it's like that every week it must spur the team on and be worth a few points to them over the course of the season. Mind you, if some of our lot had put as much effort into singing as they did into goading the Wolves fans then our vocal support might have been a bit better. We really do have some pathetic individuals who travel away.
As for Wolverhampton itself, liked the fact the ground is so close to the town centre. We had a wander round and found a friendly pub. Wolverhampton wasn't the depressing sh*thole many describe it as, certainly no worse or better than Soton city centre at the moment. All in all not a bad day out, I just wish that header had gone in.
My take on the visit to Wolves. on 19:34 - Jan 16 with 677 viewsSonicBoom

For the game changed at the point Forster made his suicidal rush from goal. Even our defence seemed to look at him and thoughtwhat the hell are you doing.
It was a mistake a kid might make on his debut over eager to impress. His lack of confidence and conviction under a high ball is ridiculous.
Better than mccarthy?
Maybe but both are not good enough and cost us games.
Simply gifting them a goal when already one down effectively killed our chances.
My take on the visit to Wolves. on 21:30 - Jan 16 with 576 viewsA1079

My take on the visit to Wolves. on 19:34 - Jan 16 by SonicBoom

For the game changed at the point Forster made his suicidal rush from goal. Even our defence seemed to look at him and thoughtwhat the hell are you doing.
It was a mistake a kid might make on his debut over eager to impress. His lack of confidence and conviction under a high ball is ridiculous.
Better than mccarthy?
Maybe but both are not good enough and cost us games.
Simply gifting them a goal when already one down effectively killed our chances.

Neither Forster or McCarthy fill and if us with confidence, let our defence. They both have good periods but they have an awful lot of lapses which often prove costly. We end up flip flopping between the 2.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024