Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Ralph is doing such a good job..... 09:49 - Jan 17 with 1729 viewsButty101

Why is that no other team wants him? Hes not even mentioned as a runner for the Everton job.
In the last 12months Everton, Watford and Spurs have changed manger twice, while Villa, Man U, chelsea, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Norwich and Newcastle have also sacked their manager. So plenty of opportunities.

The only credible link was Norwich wanting him.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 09:52 - Jan 17 with 1263 viewsSaintNick

Its strange, perhaps they all realise he is committed to Saints and won't go.

Graham Potter is being linked yet he isn't doing too much better with Brighton than Saints this season.

This is only the media's thoughts though, not anything official

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 09:58 - Jan 17 with 1251 viewssolent_toffee

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 09:52 - Jan 17 by SaintNick

Its strange, perhaps they all realise he is committed to Saints and won't go.

Graham Potter is being linked yet he isn't doing too much better with Brighton than Saints this season.

This is only the media's thoughts though, not anything official

He’s had that mad losing run and two nine nil defeats in the relatively short time he’s been here.

A fair few Saints fans wanted him gone earlier in the season.
If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 10:17 - Jan 17 with 1218 viewsPatfromPoole

I think the 9-0’s have seriously damaged his stock.

If A.N. Other club were to recruit him, their fans would be up in arms, fearing some massacres on the pitch.

That said, he has done very well to come through those and still have us mid-table.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 10:18 - Jan 17 with 1218 viewsSaintNick

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 09:58 - Jan 17 by solent_toffee

He’s had that mad losing run and two nine nil defeats in the relatively short time he’s been here.

A fair few Saints fans wanted him gone earlier in the season.

I agree that he had that run, but he has still done better than Potter for instance, some Saints fans have wanted every manager gone at some point in their time here, I can't think of one manager we have had that hasn't had some sort of stick at some point.

It is hard to see where Everton go for their next manager, Moshiri seems to hire and fire on an annual basis, whoever is appointing the manager is clearly not up to the job.

It will be six years since Everton stole Koeman from us in the summer, he has done the best job out of the 5 permanent managers since Martinez left yet he was sacked after 15 months in the job.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 10:23 - Jan 17 with 1209 viewssaintwizzler

With his Liverpool history Benetiz was a dead man walking from the start.
Was never going to work out.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 10:39 - Jan 17 with 1185 viewsBuggalugs

I think we've been alright under Ralph and I've never wanted him replaced. He's a likeable chap and seems to have the players working hard and playing for him. Yes, he makes some questionable decisions sometimes, but what manager doesn't? The vast majority of goals we concede are from stupid individual errors and bad decision making of players, so I find it harsh to lay the blame for that at his door.

Stating the obvious; if he had better players to work with, we'd get better results.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 10:58 - Jan 17 with 1164 viewsButty101

By the way this wasn't a have a dig at Ralph thread - Genuine question. Im slowly coming back round to him. All of a sudden he appears to have energy again and looks like he wants to be here. Clearly the players like him and behind him.

Marinez is apparently the favourite - why would they go back to him? Hes had a fantastic Belgium team and won nothing.
Potter is flavour of the month - not really sure why - though Brighton are better to watch now.
Rooney really? That would be a mental choice the guy is thick as pig s**t

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 12:43 - Jan 17 with 1107 viewsSaintsforeverj

Ralph hasn't won anything yet and has "only" finished mid table at the most. Those defeats are also in the background. He hasn't quite proven yet, that he is worthy of managing a bigger club. Dyche too right? I think he is also a great manager but hasn't (can't) prove himself with such harsh conditions to work under. So bigger clubs would rather go for a tried and tested. Who ironically end up being sacked.

But see the bigger picture. Ralph tries to play all out, attacking football. I prefer this style to a defensive bore set up. Klopp plays like this too, but he has always had VD and top defenders to stop the goals going in. And even they lost 7 2 when they had injuries at one point but this style of play does leave gaps at the back. But Liverpool didn't win the league by playing cautious stuff. They won it by having a go with all out attack. But they had world class players to make it work. Ralph has tried to give the fans entertainment on the pitch, but with our squad being so threadbare and cheaply assembled, it hasn't always worked. But better that, than boring nil nil's most weeks or losing 2 nil because we don't have a go and just sit back. It's the way to go, if we want to progress going forward, so I like Ralph for that.

IMO, having a good go, sometimes works with the squad we have and we get enough points to be in mid table. Hughes and Pellegrino and ofcourse Purl, didn't play the pressing attacking game that Ralph does. We didn't get the huge thrashings but we did get beat most weeks, even if just 1 or 2 nil. With new owners now and therefore more investment in the team with a bigger squad, I think we could see Ralph thrive. If and when Saints get in the top 6 or win a cup, then the vultures will circle.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 12:51]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Login to get fewer ads

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:00 - Jan 17 with 1076 viewsMytchettSaint

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 12:43 - Jan 17 by Saintsforeverj

Ralph hasn't won anything yet and has "only" finished mid table at the most. Those defeats are also in the background. He hasn't quite proven yet, that he is worthy of managing a bigger club. Dyche too right? I think he is also a great manager but hasn't (can't) prove himself with such harsh conditions to work under. So bigger clubs would rather go for a tried and tested. Who ironically end up being sacked.

But see the bigger picture. Ralph tries to play all out, attacking football. I prefer this style to a defensive bore set up. Klopp plays like this too, but he has always had VD and top defenders to stop the goals going in. And even they lost 7 2 when they had injuries at one point but this style of play does leave gaps at the back. But Liverpool didn't win the league by playing cautious stuff. They won it by having a go with all out attack. But they had world class players to make it work. Ralph has tried to give the fans entertainment on the pitch, but with our squad being so threadbare and cheaply assembled, it hasn't always worked. But better that, than boring nil nil's most weeks or losing 2 nil because we don't have a go and just sit back. It's the way to go, if we want to progress going forward, so I like Ralph for that.

IMO, having a good go, sometimes works with the squad we have and we get enough points to be in mid table. Hughes and Pellegrino and ofcourse Purl, didn't play the pressing attacking game that Ralph does. We didn't get the huge thrashings but we did get beat most weeks, even if just 1 or 2 nil. With new owners now and therefore more investment in the team with a bigger squad, I think we could see Ralph thrive. If and when Saints get in the top 6 or win a cup, then the vultures will circle.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 12:51]

Ralph tries to play all out attacking football? Really?

I must’ve imagined the ball going back to McCarthy from our front players repeatedly to be “recycled” last season.

Let’s have a bit of perspective here please.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:06 - Jan 17 with 1064 viewsSonicBoom

I think Ralph will be viewed as having a team capable of being 10th to 15th in the league and broadly speaking that is where he's put us.

He has neither under or over achieved.

If the new owners back him a bit more and he shows he can take the team forward he may well be considered more in future.
If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:09 - Jan 17 with 1059 viewsSadoldgit

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:00 - Jan 17 by MytchettSaint

I must’ve imagined the ball going back to McCarthy from our front players repeatedly to be “recycled” last season.

If that hasn’t been the case, why have we been caught on the counter so often? I can count on the fingers if one hand how many times we have “parked the bus” and that is usually because we have had a man sent off. Plenty of attacking teams rotate the ball around the back four/keeper whilst they look to move teams around and try and find openings.
If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:15 - Jan 17 with 1050 viewsBuggalugs

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:06 - Jan 17 by SonicBoom

I think Ralph will be viewed as having a team capable of being 10th to 15th in the league and broadly speaking that is where he's put us.

He has neither under or over achieved.

If the new owners back him a bit more and he shows he can take the team forward he may well be considered more in future.

Over-achieve like Koeman, you lose your manager to a bigger fish. Under-achieve like Pellegrino/Hughes, your manager gets sacked.

That's why we've had Ralph in charge for the last 3 years....we're a par side.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 13:16]

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:17 - Jan 17 with 1036 viewsfranniesTache

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:15 - Jan 17 by Buggalugs

Over-achieve like Koeman, you lose your manager to a bigger fish. Under-achieve like Pellegrino/Hughes, your manager gets sacked.

That's why we've had Ralph in charge for the last 3 years....we're a par side.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 13:16]

Yup, the way i look at it Ralph is a mediocre manager, managing a mediocre to poor team, our position has been true of both the quality of manager and squad in recent years and i'd imagine other clubs think the same.

Unfortunately our fans have built some weird cult around him based on the fact he does over enthusiastic waving at the end of a game
If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:19 - Jan 17 with 1032 viewsMytchettSaint

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:09 - Jan 17 by Sadoldgit

If that hasn’t been the case, why have we been caught on the counter so often? I can count on the fingers if one hand how many times we have “parked the bus” and that is usually because we have had a man sent off. Plenty of attacking teams rotate the ball around the back four/keeper whilst they look to move teams around and try and find openings.

I’d wager we’ve been caught out on the break by trying to recycle the ball and then giving it away!

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:26 - Jan 17 with 1013 viewsPatfromPoole

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:17 - Jan 17 by franniesTache

Yup, the way i look at it Ralph is a mediocre manager, managing a mediocre to poor team, our position has been true of both the quality of manager and squad in recent years and i'd imagine other clubs think the same.

Unfortunately our fans have built some weird cult around him based on the fact he does over enthusiastic waving at the end of a game

He acknowledges every part of the ground after the game except the Itchen North.

He hates us.

Balls to him.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:33 - Jan 17 with 1004 viewsSaintsforeverj

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:00 - Jan 17 by MytchettSaint

Ralph is a manager who wants to play attacking aggressive football. It hasn't always been this way in every game due to confidence, sending offs, certain players not quite getting it, loads of injuries forcing us to be a bit more cautious in some games but we have a manager who wants to play the game in the right way. Give him sufficient resources and he will thrive I think and the players will enjoy it.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 13:34]

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:36 - Jan 17 with 992 viewsSaintsforeverj

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:17 - Jan 17 by franniesTache

I understand what you are saying but what do you call a mediocre manager? Klopp and Guardiola are outstanding managers but how would they do at Saints or Burnley? Probably very mediocre.

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:44 - Jan 17 with 966 viewsfranniesTache

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:36 - Jan 17 by Saintsforeverj

I understand what you are saying but what do you call a mediocre manager? Klopp and Guardiola are outstanding managers but how would they do at Saints or Burnley? Probably very mediocre.

Probably easiest to put it in the context of saints, under Koeman and Poch' who i count as good managers even the worse players improved to some extent. Take Long and Cedric, at no point were any of us under the illusion of their weaknesses but those two managers played a system and tactics that meant they weren't so exposed, and the team was better as a result (as were the players).

Ralph on the other hand can have the team playing brilliantly but doesn't negate the weaknesses of the players, so Forster, McCarthy, Bednarek or Stephens are alway going to have one of their "moments".

That to me is the difference between mediocre and good, a good manager manages the risk of his weakest players, a mediocre manager doesn't, and a bad manager makes good players or the team worse (Ian f*cking Branfoot i'm looking at you)
If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:47 - Jan 17 with 955 viewsSonicBoom

I'm not sure that's quite right. Tactically Ralph is often found wanting and makes some very odd team selections and formations. Even this weekend Nick has questioned the formation we used (rightly or wrongly).
I think if we had a Klopp or Guardiola then we might not have the players to execute - but I expect their decisions would be right more often than not.
If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:49 - Jan 17 with 946 viewsfranniesTache

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:47 - Jan 17 by SonicBoom

I'm not sure that's quite right. Tactically Ralph is often found wanting and makes some very odd team selections and formations. Even this weekend Nick has questioned the formation we used (rightly or wrongly).
I think if we had a Klopp or Guardiola then we might not have the players to execute - but I expect their decisions would be right more often than not.

That's basically what i'm saying, Ralph doesn't take into account player weakness' which is why he's not a good manager, just a bog standard one
If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:51 - Jan 17 with 937 viewsSaintsforeverj

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:44 - Jan 17 by franniesTache

Probably easiest to put it in the context of saints, under Koeman and Poch' who i count as good managers even the worse players improved to some extent. Take Long and Cedric, at no point were any of us under the illusion of their weaknesses but those two managers played a system and tactics that meant they weren't so exposed, and the team was better as a result (as were the players).

Ralph on the other hand can have the team playing brilliantly but doesn't negate the weaknesses of the players, so Forster, McCarthy, Bednarek or Stephens are alway going to have one of their "moments".

That to me is the difference between mediocre and good, a good manager manages the risk of his weakest players, a mediocre manager doesn't, and a bad manager makes good players or the team worse (Ian f*cking Branfoot i'm looking at you)

Yep fair points but Koeman and Poch had better players I would say. They had players like VD, Tadic, Lambert, Mane and so on. Easier to make players like Cedric less exposed when you have Mane and Pelle up front and VD as your main centre back. Koeman went on to be useless at Everton and useless at Barcelona. Do you still count him as good? The Everton fans think he is rubbish. Poch without a doubt is a very good manager but he has always had very good players and money to spend.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 13:54]

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:56 - Jan 17 with 916 viewsfranniesTache

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:51 - Jan 17 by Saintsforeverj

Yep fair points but Koeman and Poch had better players I would say. They had players like VD, Tadic, Lambert, Mane and so on. Easier to make players like Cedric less exposed when you have Mane and Pelle up front and VD as your main centre back. Koeman went on to be useless at Everton and useless at Barcelona. Do you still count him as good? The Everton fans think he is rubbish. Poch without a doubt is a very good manager but he has always had very good players and money to spend.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 13:54]

Koeman had better players but i'm not convinced Poch did to begin with, he was just that good a manager that he significantly improved what he had.

Don't forget when Poch came in we weren't exactly setting the premier league on fire, and he converted that side and made it into some a lot better.

You could argue if Ralph was good he'd be able to do the same with what we have now, but i don't really see any huge improvement between his first season and now, with the exception of Prowse.
If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 14:05 - Jan 17 with 882 viewsSaintsforeverj

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:56 - Jan 17 by franniesTache

Koeman had better players but i'm not convinced Poch did to begin with, he was just that good a manager that he significantly improved what he had.

Don't forget when Poch came in we weren't exactly setting the premier league on fire, and he converted that side and made it into some a lot better.

You could argue if Ralph was good he'd be able to do the same with what we have now, but i don't really see any huge improvement between his first season and now, with the exception of Prowse.

Adams is improving, Salisu is improving, the defence is improving, Diallo is imprving. The season hasn't finished yet so we could finish anywhere between 15th and 6th. Let's see. Poch did improve the team, but he had good players. Where we differ, is that I think Ralph and Dyche are good managers who don't have the resources to be really successful. You would have to be a miracle worker to be "good" at us and Burnley for the past few seasons. I will stick by my thoughts that if Ralph is given some decent recources and a team to put on the pitch, he will become "good". I would rather have him than bringing in a Fat Sam, a divisive character like Benitez or a Jose M. They have all been mediocre too, with a shed load of money.

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 14:05 - Jan 17 with 883 viewssaints__fan__73

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 10:18 - Jan 17 by SaintNick

I agree that he had that run, but he has still done better than Potter for instance, some Saints fans have wanted every manager gone at some point in their time here, I can't think of one manager we have had that hasn't had some sort of stick at some point.

It is hard to see where Everton go for their next manager, Moshiri seems to hire and fire on an annual basis, whoever is appointing the manager is clearly not up to the job.

It will be six years since Everton stole Koeman from us in the summer, he has done the best job out of the 5 permanent managers since Martinez left yet he was sacked after 15 months in the job.

"It will be six years since Les Reed pushed Koeman out of the door as he resented being marginalised into just been the Academy boss, he has done the best job out of the 5 permanent managers since Martinez left yet he was sacked after 15 months in the job."

There you go Nick, I corrected your post for accuracy.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 14:37 - Jan 17 with 825 viewsBuggalugs

If Ralph is doing such a good job..... on 13:26 - Jan 17 by PatfromPoole

He acknowledges every part of the ground after the game except the Itchen North.

He hates us.

Balls to him.

What are you still doing in the ground so long after the final whistle to enable you to see all that jazz hands shite? Should be halfway back to town by then.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024