Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup 19:47 - Jan 18 with 1202 viewsScoot

What was your first ever FA cup game?
Mine was Saints v Arsehole 1978. My dad took me and we sat in the west stand at the Dell. I think we got beat 2 - 0 but I was hooked anyway. My old man was a skate but said I should support saints so I could go and see them as I grew up because they were my local side. He was a proper gent and I miss him every day. R.i.P. Lowy.

Poll: Should NJ go?

FA Cup on 21:19 - Jan 18 with 1162 viewsChesham_Saint

I think the 1-1 against Vila at the beginning of the76 cup run.

I’ve often wondered if the 3 or 4 Saints fans who ran on the pitch in the last few minutes from the Milton End disrupted the space time continuum enough for Hugh Fisher to equalise so late on….

Does anyone else remember that?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

FA Cup on 22:02 - Jan 18 with 1142 viewsWints76

A 4-0 win V Sunderland in 1985. My second was a fifth round much postponed tie at home to Barnsley a month or two later. John Peel had arranged to DJ at Southampton Uni a few days later as the winners would have a home game against Liverpool in the quarter final the following weekend. Obviously Barnsley beat us. Obviously.
FA Cup on 09:15 - Jan 19 with 1071 viewsSaintNick

FA Cup on 22:02 - Jan 18 by Wints76

A 4-0 win V Sunderland in 1985. My second was a fifth round much postponed tie at home to Barnsley a month or two later. John Peel had arranged to DJ at Southampton Uni a few days later as the winners would have a home game against Liverpool in the quarter final the following weekend. Obviously Barnsley beat us. Obviously.

He was not the only scouser to have booked a weekend in Southampton to watch the Barnsley game, The Beatles had secretly reformed and had planned a warm up gig on the roof of the joiners with Nirvana supporting (this was reliant on them forming a couple of years early so not credited on the posters), I still have the unused ticket.

Also Cilla Black had arranged to film that weeks Blind Date at the old Southern TV studios in Northam and Ken Dodd was at the Gaumont

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

FA Cup on 16:26 - Jan 19 with 1006 viewssaint901

Don't remember the first FA Cup game but I do recall going to WBA in February 76 and seeing us get a 1-1 draw with a late goal (from the late Bobby Stokes).

Was at the repay a few days later when we beat them easily with a Channon hat trick.

Had tickets for the final that year as well but gave them up to my brother.
FA Cup on 16:52 - Jan 19 with 992 viewsTimSaint

FA Cup on 22:02 - Jan 18 by Wints76

I remember going to that Sunderland game and wondering whether the game would go ahead or not, as the pitch was frozen.
We got there quite early, so me and a mate went into the ground, whilst my Grandad and his brother went to the 'Polygon for tea and toast' (their code phrase for the nearest pub !!).
We saw the groundsmen with some machine that was basically heating up areas of the pitch using hot spikes.
It clearly worked and we won 4-0. I remember getting Alan Curtis' autograph that day (whilst my grandad went back to the Polygon after the game !!) and he scored, along with Moran and Joe Jordan perhaps ?

TimSaint

FA Cup on 18:39 - Jan 19 with 945 viewsChesham_Saint

FA Cup on 16:52 - Jan 19 by TimSaint

I remember going to that Sunderland game and wondering whether the game would go ahead or not, as the pitch was frozen.
We got there quite early, so me and a mate went into the ground, whilst my Grandad and his brother went to the 'Polygon for tea and toast' (their code phrase for the nearest pub !!).
We saw the groundsmen with some machine that was basically heating up areas of the pitch using hot spikes.
It clearly worked and we won 4-0. I remember getting Alan Curtis' autograph that day (whilst my grandad went back to the Polygon after the game !!) and he scored, along with Moran and Joe Jordan perhaps ?

Your grandad scored? Now that’s what I call a hell of a day out at the football!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

FA Cup on 09:59 - Jan 20 with 865 viewsSaintNick

FA Cup on 16:26 - Jan 19 by saint901

Don't remember the first FA Cup game but I do recall going to WBA in February 76 and seeing us get a 1-1 draw with a late goal (from the late Bobby Stokes).

Was at the repay a few days later when we beat them easily with a Channon hat trick.

Had tickets for the final that year as well but gave them up to my brother.

Man Utd h 72 was my first FA cup game and my first FA Cup tie away was west Brom 14th February 1976

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

FA Cup on 11:24 - Jan 20 with 844 viewsPatfromPoole

A 3-2 win at home to Ipswich in 1991.

Though for my sins, I was also at Boscombe 2 Man U 0 in 1984 🙄. Quite the shock at the time……

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup on 13:32 - Jan 20 with 801 viewsTimSaint

FA Cup on 18:39 - Jan 19 by Chesham_Saint

Your grandad scored? Now that’s what I call a hell of a day out at the football!

Ha Ha !!

My Grandad had a dodgy hip, dodgy leg and 1 eye, so even attending and watching the game was good for him - let alone scoring !!

I once 'scored' after Saints had just played at Highfield Road, but I think that should be for a different thread !! ;-)

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024