Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why won't we shoot? 06:56 - Feb 2 with 2548 viewsJames1980

Why is a shot from a Dale Player currently very rare?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Why won't we shoot? on 08:58 - Feb 2 with 2433 views_Windydale

Cos players seem to have it in their heads to go for a nicely worked goal. I wish they would shoot more. If the balls not sat up for a clean shot on their best foot. Slam it into the floor and fkin leather it. Have a go, keep it down chances are it may rebound and sit up for a player to tap home.
Why won't we shoot? on 12:08 - Feb 2 with 2164 viewsrichfoad32

Maybe they management team play the Moneyball percentages and players are under instruction not to take on too many speculative efforts because they very rarely come off? Judge scored a worldy last night but he won't do that every week, by the same token Broadbent had a couple of wild attempts from the edge of the box that probably haven't landed yet.

According to the stats https://www.fctables.com/england/league-2/shots/ we're third for shots, so we must be doing summat right. Maybe work harder at getting them on target and at least making the keeper work.
Why won't we shoot? on 12:14 - Feb 2 with 2142 viewsEllDale

I've no hard facts to back this up but it seems to be just two or three players who are shot shy. Dooley and Newby to my mind are particularly reluctant to pull the trigger.
Indoctrinated by BBM?
Why won't we shoot? on 12:22 - Feb 2 with 2105 viewsJames1980

Why won't we shoot? on 12:08 - Feb 2 by richfoad32

Maybe they management team play the Moneyball percentages and players are under instruction not to take on too many speculative efforts because they very rarely come off? Judge scored a worldy last night but he won't do that every week, by the same token Broadbent had a couple of wild attempts from the edge of the box that probably haven't landed yet.

According to the stats https://www.fctables.com/england/league-2/shots/ we're third for shots, so we must be doing summat right. Maybe work harder at getting them on target and at least making the keeper work.

I should have asked why have shots become a rarity recently.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Why won't we shoot? on 12:31 - Feb 2 with 2079 viewsleedsdale

Why won't we shoot? on 12:08 - Feb 2 by richfoad32

On his post match interview RS says something along the lines of “it’s not like we tell them not to shoot” and he looked as frustrated as we feel in this regard. I would expect Charman to start on Saturday, and maybe Ball too.
Why won't we shoot? on 12:33 - Feb 2 with 2073 viewsoddjob007

To be fair to Robbie, he does make a comment about this in his post match interview, so seems that it is down to the individual player mentality, rather than being told not to shoot.
Why won't we shoot? on 13:06 - Feb 2 with 1962 views49thseason

Why won't we shoot? on 12:14 - Feb 2 by EllDale

I've no hard facts to back this up but it seems to be just two or three players who are shot shy. Dooley and Newby to my mind are particularly reluctant to pull the trigger.
Indoctrinated by BBM?

That would be my conclusion. I reckon a lot of players these days are over-coached, their natural insticts are suppressed by coaching dogma... " keep the ball" " find a man in a better position" and so on. I dont think anyone really coached Jenkins or Taylor , much less Holt, Le Fondra or Murray how to score goals, Scoring is instinctive, filling players heads with the latest coaching claptrap is probably counterproductive. I wonder if they practice shooting from 25 yards out? I recall Zico apparently used to take 50 dead- ball free kicks after every training session strangely , he was really good at doing it in matches!
Why won't we shoot? on 13:58 - Feb 2 with 1813 viewsboromat

Harry Kane is a great example of shooting first time and early and reaping the rewards. Not all his goals are perfectly executed but he's taken it so early put it on target and the keepers not quick enough to react.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Login to get fewer ads

Why won't we shoot? on 14:07 - Feb 2 with 1785 viewsD_Alien

Why won't we shoot? on 13:58 - Feb 2 by boromat

Harry Kane is a great example of shooting first time and early and reaping the rewards. Not all his goals are perfectly executed but he's taken it so early put it on target and the keepers not quick enough to react.

True, but that usually follows a great first touch that either brings the ball under instant control or puts him in an even better space to get the shot away

Steven Davies remarked how Kane had sidled up to him after he'd equalised against Spurs at the death and said "Great goal". That was because Davies' touch did precisely that

At our level, the norm is for the first touch to decrease the chances of shooting, although in the clips we've seen of both Charman and Campbell, they seem to have the skills required. It's simply about how much time defenders give them as you go up the leagues

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Why won't we shoot? on 16:08 - Feb 2 with 1570 viewsEllDale

I know it's not the same as being in a split second match environment but standing in the Sandy before every home goal I watch the shooting part of the warm-up and most of our forwards can hit the target consistently in that session which makes it all the more frustrating.
Why won't we shoot? on 16:52 - Feb 2 with 1473 viewsDickydaler

Why won't we shoot? on 12:14 - Feb 2 by EllDale

Indoctrinated by BBM?

You mention Newby being shot shy - personally I'd prefer him not to shoot and just concentrate on his trickery on the wings and get crosses in or passes into space for other players to have a go. He had two efforts on goal in the Bradford match and the ball was lucky to reach the keeper! (I might add that doesn't apply to a dead ball scenario - He so nearly gave us a winner in that match)
I know there are the possibility of deflections but we've got to be clever enough to create a bit of space before shooting and I think that's part of the problem.
Hopefully, the new guys might be better at this.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024