Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread 18:49 - Apr 17 with 19776 viewsHullDale

No interviews etc this week, presumably because of the short turn around from Friday.

By my reckoning we need 2 points (or an Oldham loss) to guarantee safety, but seeing as we're virtually there I'd love to see us just go all out attack and see what our creative players can do. Lets get at them and try to just create chances for Charman, I agree with another poster that a goal tomorrow will do him the world of good.

Presuming everyone is fit, I'd like to see..

Lynch
Taylor Downing Dorsett
O'Keeffe O'Connell Kelly Clark
Grant Charman Cashman

Hartlepool are 3rd bottom of the form table, scoring a goal per match but conceding just more than
1.5 per match too... good opportunity for us to put a performance in in front of hopefully a bigger crowd.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:04 - Apr 18 with 4482 viewsrichfoad32

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 16:57 - Apr 18 by Nigeriamark

2-1 Dale & a contender for goal of the season from EOC. Gets the ball just outside his own penalty area, runs 50 yards & unleashes a 25 yard unstoppable drive. Superb

EDIT: 60 seconds later FT whistle goes.

What a turnaround from the first half. fair play for RS for changing it up, but we should have been like that from the start

3 great points & what a finish
[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 16:58]

If he leaves in the summer as is widely tipped, then that's some way to sign off. Well deserved win based on the second half performance and safety finally confirmed, which is nice with three tough looking games to come.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:06 - Apr 18 with 4457 viewsisitme

The first half was poor. Second much better and we dominated. Much better shape in the second half. I thought Grant had another good game and Big Jim was solid. Great run and finish by O'Connell. At least we are now safe. A big preseason ahead with probably a big squad turnover. Charman appears to be getting better. His link play is good.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:07 - Apr 18 with 4444 viewsEllDale

Needed that win today as the final three games are all against teams scrapping for promotion.
50 points achieved, safety guaranteed which, given all the upheavals of the last 12 months, was always the main target.
Great goal form the skipper. Just wish we could keep him.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:12 - Apr 18 with 4375 viewsBazzanne

What a difference, the second half was very, very good. Chalk and cheese. O' Connell's goal must be a contender, if not a shoe in for goal of the year.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 17:17]
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:21 - Apr 18 with 4260 views442Dale

Second half we looked to get the ball in the box and shoot. It might not always have been the greatest quality but it makes the opposition defend. That’s why the opening couple of months of the season looked promising as it seemed to be our method of playing.

Special mentions for Grant who did really well when played in the midfield two in the second half and McNulty who was a calming presence throughout. Terrific pro.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:42 - Apr 18 with 4072 viewsDaleFan7

A better second half without still being great. Fair play to Stockdale for changing things around because it clearly wasn't working, just hope he goes to a front 2 next season rather than 1 isolated person with 2 people hugging the touch line.

Grant was MoM for me, he was the only one who looked to drive forward everytime he got the ball. Charman also never stopped running, if we had more players with effort like that we'd be a lot further up the table but we have people like Newby who came on late and never even started running.

We're safe and I'm looking forward to the huge clear out that's needed in the summer.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:44 - Apr 18 with 4055 viewsdawlishdale

Proverbial game of two halves.

I'm afraid the whole balance of the team was awful in the first half, and it looked like the players knew it as well as the crowd,.

After Odoh replaced COK (at fault for dawdling for their goal I thought) and EOC went back to CH where he should always play, we looked so much better.

Great cross from Clark for the equaliser, and then the disallowed goal, which I'd like to see again. I don't thing the linesman on the far side raised his flag until the referee communicated to him . If the ref has it correct, then it's a great spot...if not; it's awful.

What a winner by my POTS EOC. Must have run 70 yards with the ball before smashing it home. Goal of the Season without a doubt !!

But why on Earth did RS set us up so wrongly in the first half? It's very strange.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:44 - Apr 18 with 4026 viewsD_Alien

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:21 - Apr 18 by 442Dale

Second half we looked to get the ball in the box and shoot. It might not always have been the greatest quality but it makes the opposition defend. That’s why the opening couple of months of the season looked promising as it seemed to be our method of playing.

Special mentions for Grant who did really well when played in the midfield two in the second half and McNulty who was a calming presence throughout. Terrific pro.

It was Grant learning to use physicality to retrieve the ball deep on the touchline that eventually led to the equaliser

The first half was as poor as anything i've seen this season but the change in formation with the half time sub seemed to galvanise us and we deserved that winner. Good to see O'Connell getting his name chanted and acknowledging the applause at the end -i'm not usually arsed about it but today's finish, and his likely leaving made it a bit special

Thought Jim had a decent game overall and amusing to see him running into the box in open play then not quite getting the right ball in a great position

One thing's for sure - Stockdale has to find a way to get us starting games on the front foot more consistently. The second half papered over a lot of cracks but there's nowt like a last minute cracker to send us home happy!

[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 17:57]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:52 - Apr 18 with 3942 viewstony_roch975

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:44 - Apr 18 by dawlishdale

Proverbial game of two halves.

I'm afraid the whole balance of the team was awful in the first half, and it looked like the players knew it as well as the crowd,.

After Odoh replaced COK (at fault for dawdling for their goal I thought) and EOC went back to CH where he should always play, we looked so much better.

Great cross from Clark for the equaliser, and then the disallowed goal, which I'd like to see again. I don't thing the linesman on the far side raised his flag until the referee communicated to him . If the ref has it correct, then it's a great spot...if not; it's awful.

What a winner by my POTS EOC. Must have run 70 yards with the ball before smashing it home. Goal of the Season without a doubt !!

But why on Earth did RS set us up so wrongly in the first half? It's very strange.

agreed - not just set up wrongly but why make no change until HT - Done & Odoh found space between the lines and Grant is the best footballer in the squad but lightweight in the tackle so more effective with space ahead of him;

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:54 - Apr 18 with 3912 viewsD_Alien

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 16:16 - Apr 18 by SuddenLad

Meanwhile Jake Beesley bags a brace for Blackpool.

Really pleased for him. That should help kick start his future career with more game time next season, after it appears Blackpool waited till the season was all but over until giving him his chance

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:59 - Apr 18 with 3838 views442Dale

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 17:54 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

Really pleased for him. That should help kick start his future career with more game time next season, after it appears Blackpool waited till the season was all but over until giving him his chance

Scored twice in each of his last three starts.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 18:03 - Apr 18 with 3813 viewsReedy

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 16:40 - Apr 18 by SandyDrum

If I’m correct, the direction of the ball doesn’t matter, the ball can go backwards and if a player in an offside position touches it then it’s still offside. I may be wrong though.

I think Clark was offside and it was the correct decision, close call but looks right.

The rules are, if the ball is played backwards you can’t be offside, no matter where you are on the pitch, for instance, you can’t be offside from a corner (or a throw in or a goal kick, but that’s different)

For todays disallowed goal (I’ve not seen it back) Clarke didn’t look to be offside and Downing certainly wasn’t because I think he put received the ball direct from a corner. The telling part to me was that no Hartlepool players or supporters appealed for an offside.

The one I’m certain of was about 5 minutes later when the ball was played over their defence and Jimmy was in behind their full back, and he was judged to be offside, even though he had run past the Hartlepool player.

I think today (and the rest of the season) has seen inept officials give completely bizarre decisions. What annoys me is that they consistently get easy decisions wrong, I’m tired of saying how poor the Standard of officiating is!

The linesman will be relieved we scored a goal to win the game (a superb strike) because he will look back on the decision as a howler.

Blog: The FA Cup

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 18:32 - Apr 18 with 3597 viewsboromat

Awful first half O'Keefe rightly pulled and for all the criticism of RS over the season for his subs or lack of he got this one spot on! He got the first half wrong but the players made it much worse than it should have been. O'Connell doesn't work in midfield.

Second half I though Grant was brilliant. Earlier in the season he was still a bit lightweight but while playing up top and pressing he's also developed a bit more steel and that showed in his performance in central midfield. He was the bit of creativity and energy we needed.

My man of the match was big Jim McNulty. What a guy.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 18:32 - Apr 18 with 3597 viewsjs2006

Watching the highlights, im more confused about that offside than when it happened
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:08 - Apr 18 with 3347 viewsD_Dale

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 18:03 - Apr 18 by Reedy

The rules are, if the ball is played backwards you can’t be offside, no matter where you are on the pitch, for instance, you can’t be offside from a corner (or a throw in or a goal kick, but that’s different)

For todays disallowed goal (I’ve not seen it back) Clarke didn’t look to be offside and Downing certainly wasn’t because I think he put received the ball direct from a corner. The telling part to me was that no Hartlepool players or supporters appealed for an offside.

The one I’m certain of was about 5 minutes later when the ball was played over their defence and Jimmy was in behind their full back, and he was judged to be offside, even though he had run past the Hartlepool player.

I think today (and the rest of the season) has seen inept officials give completely bizarre decisions. What annoys me is that they consistently get easy decisions wrong, I’m tired of saying how poor the Standard of officiating is!

The linesman will be relieved we scored a goal to win the game (a superb strike) because he will look back on the decision as a howler.

Hard to tell why the 'goal' was ruled out.

https://www.skysports.com/football/rochdale-vs-hartlepool-united/448952
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:11 - Apr 18 with 3318 viewsHullDale

Brilliant goal to win it after a much better second half. Also some more shithousery from Charman after it that I missed in the heat of the moment!

If we keep O'Keeffe, a mixture of him / Charman / Ball next season could wind a few fans up.

Interesting post match from Stockdale too:

After everything that has gone on, we have a club to support that is in the EFL again next season, with a board and manager who will have had the steepest of learning curves this year. Onwards & upwards!

UTDNFS.
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:14 - Apr 18 with 3275 viewsdingdangblue

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 16:40 - Apr 18 by SandyDrum

If I’m correct, the direction of the ball doesn’t matter, the ball can go backwards and if a player in an offside position touches it then it’s still offside. I may be wrong though.

I think Clark was offside and it was the correct decision, close call but looks right.

Absolutely no way was he offside - just seen the highlights and the goalkeeper and at least 1 defender is goalside of Clark. Shocking decision by the linesman and baffling.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:15 - Apr 18 with 3260 viewsboromat

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 18:32 - Apr 18 by js2006

Watching the highlights, im more confused about that offside than when it happened

Ridiculous decision. There's at least one defender and the keeper closer to the byline than Max and he flicks it into the net. I can't see an offside.

In fact it's exactly as I saw it or thought I saw it at the game. Sometimes you think I'll see the highlights and feel stupid but not this time seems like a terrible decision. Unless I'm missing something?

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:53 - Apr 18 with 2977 viewspnc4eva1

A definite game of two halves. As an exile this was one of the few games I have managed to get to this season.

The first half was too slow and the passes from the back were so slow that Hartlepool were able to regroup and assume their positions without much need of speed.

Charman looked busy, but lonely. Done was all over the place. O'Connell is not a central midfielder and it showed.

I said to people at half time that pace was needed and O'Connell should swap places with Keohane. The introduction of Odoh was pivotal. He ran at the Hartlepool defence and they were scared of his pace. Straight away they were not able to regroup and gain their positions.

Then came the goal. A good cross and Keohane, released from the centre of defence was able to get forward.

From the Sandy I still don't know what the second"goal" was given offside for.

Dale then started to play it too carefully until O'Connell burst forward. It was an excellent goal and from the second half performance it was a well deserved win

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:55 - Apr 18 with 2941 viewsdingdangblue

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 19:15 - Apr 18 by boromat

Ridiculous decision. There's at least one defender and the keeper closer to the byline than Max and he flicks it into the net. I can't see an offside.

In fact it's exactly as I saw it or thought I saw it at the game. Sometimes you think I'll see the highlights and feel stupid but not this time seems like a terrible decision. Unless I'm missing something?

You can tell from the reaction of the Hartlepool players - not one of them is appealing for offside - that tells you everything.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2022 20:07]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 20:24 - Apr 18 with 2701 viewspnc4eva1

Just watched the highlights and it appears Clark may have come from and offside position, although difficult to tell

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 20:57 - Apr 18 with 2499 viewsdingdangblue

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 20:24 - Apr 18 by pnc4eva1

Just watched the highlights and it appears Clark may have come from and offside position, although difficult to tell

It was a corner so he can't.

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 21:13 - Apr 18 with 2405 viewslove_the_dale

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 18:03 - Apr 18 by Reedy

Re -
"The rules are, if the ball is played backwards you can’t be offside, no matter where you are on the pitch".
I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. There is no mention in the laws of the ball being played backwards, sideways or forwards.

I didn't see the game due to having covid and having problems getting in to iFollow, so I didn't see the incident. I am simply disputing your premise.

I am assuming that he was in an offside position when the pass was made.
The following is a copy of the relevant part of the law.

2. Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched*
by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
- interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by
a team-mate or .....

I'm guessing that, since he put the ball in the net, he did touch the ball.

This part of the laws was the same as it was when I was refereeing 45 years ago :)
Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 21:19 - Apr 18 with 2338 viewsdingdangblue

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 21:13 - Apr 18 by love_the_dale

Re -
"The rules are, if the ball is played backwards you can’t be offside, no matter where you are on the pitch".
I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. There is no mention in the laws of the ball being played backwards, sideways or forwards.

I didn't see the game due to having covid and having problems getting in to iFollow, so I didn't see the incident. I am simply disputing your premise.

I am assuming that he was in an offside position when the pass was made.
The following is a copy of the relevant part of the law.

2. Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched*
by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
- interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by
a team-mate or .....

I'm guessing that, since he put the ball in the net, he did touch the ball.

This part of the laws was the same as it was when I was refereeing 45 years ago :)

He didn't come from an offside position (he couldn't as it was a corner) and he wasn't offside when Downing passed - there was at least 1 defender and the goalkeeper playing him on.
On this occasion the linesman made a mistake.

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 21:32 - Apr 18 with 2281 viewslove_the_dale

Hartlepool United (h) Match Thread on 21:19 - Apr 18 by dingdangblue

He didn't come from an offside position (he couldn't as it was a corner) and he wasn't offside when Downing passed - there was at least 1 defender and the goalkeeper playing him on.
On this occasion the linesman made a mistake.

The way that Reedy reported it, it didn't seem to be from a corner, - " Clarke didn’t look to be offside and Downing certainly wasn’t because I think he put received the ball direct from a corner." - implying that Downing didn't take the corner. This says to me that it wasn't direct from a corner.

As I said, unfortunately I didn't see it. I can only go on what was said on here. I'll watch Quest later and perhaps get a better view. :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024