Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which part of the heptarchy? NFR 18:32 - Apr 30 with 3886 viewsJames1980

Does Rochdale lie in the land that was the former heptarchic kingdom of Mercia or Northumbria?

[Post edited 30 Apr 2022 18:37]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 18:39 - Apr 30 with 3853 viewsD_Alien

There's a fair chance it straddles both, either side of the River Roch

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 18:48 - Apr 30 with 3822 viewsJames1980

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 18:39 - Apr 30 by D_Alien

There's a fair chance it straddles both, either side of the River Roch

I did wonder if it might be on the border. The excellent British History Podcast has got me wanting to know more about this sort of thing

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 19:03 - Apr 30 with 3787 viewsD_Alien

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 18:48 - Apr 30 by James1980

I did wonder if it might be on the border. The excellent British History Podcast has got me wanting to know more about this sort of thing

It's not something i'd considered before, but when i checked a map of the ancient kingdoms (not guaranteed to be 100% accurate) there seems to be a natural boundary stretching from the Humber estuary towards the Welsh borders south of the Dee estuary, roughly along the line that the M62/M56/M53 takes

Whatever settlement existed prior to our first mention in the Domesday Book (Recedham) may well have been in both kingdoms at different times

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 19:25 - Apr 30 with 3715 viewsfermin

Takes me back to my degree many years ago. Didn't think I would see a question on Dark Age history on here. My recollection is that the Mercian border was around Liverpool. When the Danelaw was established their border was roughly from there to London. Rochdale must have been in Northumbria.
Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 19:33 - Apr 30 with 3689 viewsJames1980

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 19:25 - Apr 30 by fermin

Takes me back to my degree many years ago. Didn't think I would see a question on Dark Age history on here. My recollection is that the Mercian border was around Liverpool. When the Danelaw was established their border was roughly from there to London. Rochdale must have been in Northumbria.

I find it absolutely fascinating. Offa, Penda, the Staffordshire Hoard. Power shifts between the different kingdoms. How in hindsight the stage was set for William the Illegitimate to conquer. Wish my GCSE history was this rather than Enclosure, Ind Rev and Corn Laws

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 19:42 - Apr 30 with 3654 viewsD_Alien

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 19:25 - Apr 30 by fermin

Is that where the name 'Mersey' comes from (Mercia)?

If we were indeed in Northumbria, it'd perhaps explain our affinity with The North rather than The Midlands and south

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 20:37 - Apr 30 with 3581 viewsmikehunt

James: Ian Hislop did a series on Radio 4 called The Ghost Kingdoms of England. All about these areas. Did you catch any of those? Might still be able to find them on BBC Sounds.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 20:46 - Apr 30 with 3572 viewsDenbighshireDale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000ykph
Login to get fewer ads

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:06 - Apr 30 with 3515 viewsmikehunt

Them’s ‘em.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:07 - Apr 30 with 3513 viewsJames1980

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 20:46 - Apr 30 by DenbighshireDale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000ykph

I will listen to that on my journey back to Sussex

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:14 - Apr 30 with 3496 viewsD_Alien

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:07 - Apr 30 by James1980

I will listen to that on my journey back to Sussex

One of the original kingdoms

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:41 - Apr 30 with 3458 viewsJames1980

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:14 - Apr 30 by D_Alien

One of the original kingdoms

Saxons name derived from the Seax which was a sword. They settled in the South. Angles not sure about the derivation settled in East Anglia, Mercia and Northumbria. The latter being divided into deira and bernicia.

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:55 - Apr 30 with 3436 viewsD_Alien

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:41 - Apr 30 by James1980

Saxons name derived from the Seax which was a sword. They settled in the South. Angles not sure about the derivation settled in East Anglia, Mercia and Northumbria. The latter being divided into deira and bernicia.

One of the joys of visiting different parts of the UK is to get a feel for the characteristics of the indigenous population, settled in the area over many centuries

The accents, the sense of humour, facial features, hair colour, even stature vary (across the swathe of the population) in each region

New analytical techniques can trace DNA back to which areas of mainland Europe the different populations arose from (if they did), and analysis of teeth allows fairly precise locating of where someone grew up through the content of soils and trace minerals in water

Those seven kingdoms still exist, in one sense. You can see it whilst journeying through them

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 22:02 - Apr 30 with 3431 viewsJames1980

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:55 - Apr 30 by D_Alien

One of the joys of visiting different parts of the UK is to get a feel for the characteristics of the indigenous population, settled in the area over many centuries

The accents, the sense of humour, facial features, hair colour, even stature vary (across the swathe of the population) in each region

New analytical techniques can trace DNA back to which areas of mainland Europe the different populations arose from (if they did), and analysis of teeth allows fairly precise locating of where someone grew up through the content of soils and trace minerals in water

Those seven kingdoms still exist, in one sense. You can see it whilst journeying through them

I believe many are still related to our Celtic and pre Celtic ancestors.
The name of our island derives from Pretani meaning painted person.

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 10:01 - May 2 with 3037 viewswimborne_dale

There's a book called The Anglo-Saxons by Marc Morris.
It casts doubt on the idea of a heptarchy, claiming that the seven kingdoms were seven of maybe a dozen or so.
It labels kingdoms at various times on an outline map but doesn't show clearly defined borders.
It is interesting how not all kingdoms were equal, with some effectively serving a satellites of others.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 11:53 - May 2 with 2988 viewsD_Alien

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 10:01 - May 2 by wimborne_dale

There's a book called The Anglo-Saxons by Marc Morris.
It casts doubt on the idea of a heptarchy, claiming that the seven kingdoms were seven of maybe a dozen or so.
It labels kingdoms at various times on an outline map but doesn't show clearly defined borders.
It is interesting how not all kingdoms were equal, with some effectively serving a satellites of others.

Sounds about right, with natural features such as hills/rivers serving as borders but not established as raiding parties sought to encroach each other's lands at various points

I still don't think any settlement around the Roch would've been definitively in one kingdom throughout the period, not least due to the Pennine moors which circle to the north whilst to the south the land falls away towards what's now Manchester/Cheshire. In earlier times, Rochdale was part of what was known as the Salford Hundred

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:34 - May 4 with 2746 viewsJumeirahDale

Not sure if this is what drove the OP, but The Last Kingdom on Netflix is a great watch - lots of poetic license, but also a huge amount of true stuff, references to real places (Leodus, Rumcofa etc.). Watching that while doing some genealogy research was fascinating.
Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:43 - May 4 with 2736 viewsdeeplishblue

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 21:34 - May 4 by JumeirahDale

Not sure if this is what drove the OP, but The Last Kingdom on Netflix is a great watch - lots of poetic license, but also a huge amount of true stuff, references to real places (Leodus, Rumcofa etc.). Watching that while doing some genealogy research was fascinating.

The Last Kingdom is a great series. One of the best things I have watched in recent years.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Which part of the heptarchy? NFR on 08:59 - May 5 with 2630 viewsJames1980

Mainly my interest stems from listening to this podcast. https://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com/

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024