Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Renew my ST or not? 12:35 - May 19 with 5867 viewssaint901

Plus side:

Supported the team since the early 60's
We have a couple of decent individual players
Occasionally upset the big teams
New owners may mean a couple of new players
Promoted teams look to have limited quality which helps us avoid relegation
Not interested and don't watch other teams on TV

Negative side:

Inconsistent form without explanation
Sometimes think the players/manager don't care so long as we stay up
Minimum five hour round trip often in heavy traffic (I live 20 miles away)
Frustration with managers tactics/use of subs/commitment
TV schedules moving games to inconvenient times
Can get tickets on an ad hoc basis if needed

Cost is manageable but at north of £35 a game, plus fuel, parking, etc, is it value for money given that for at least half the home games I leave fuming at an unnecessary loss or gifting the opposition a goal or stubborn refusals to react to the opposition? Do I need that in my life no matter how much I want the team to do well?
Renew my ST or not? on 13:25 - May 19 with 4424 viewsBuggalugs

Those that still go regularly have differing reasons why, but it should be quite a simple decision really. If you can't afford it, don't enjoy it or simply can't be arsed with it anymore, just don't bother. What's the point otherwise?

Ever since I've been going the downs have always out-weighed the ups and that will never change....it's the Southampton way. You either accept that's the case and make the most of it, or you move on.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Renew my ST or not? on 14:58 - May 19 with 4353 viewsfranniesTache

I keep my season ticket primarily to get access to away tickets, the way games are moved for tv now means i'm never going to make every home game due to work, but away games feel like they get moved far less (don't know if that's just my perception?).

If i had the choice i'd probably ditch the home season ticket, buy an away season ticket and pick home games as i could go.
Renew my ST or not? on 15:02 - May 19 with 4348 viewsChesham_Saint

Must admit I was reluctant. Ralph’s team selections (KWP and Romeu) are disheartening and the way he’s treated Frazer Forster (who’s way better than McCarthy) is crass.

Heart won out in the end…but if he pisses around next season like he has this, then I may well give up. I also find the new owners utterly uninspiring. Is that really the best we can do??

And don’t get me started on politics in football and the increasing number of happy clappy fvckwits who take offence at anything and everything. And no, I’m not talking about blatant racism or homophobia here, more the “ooh, don’t make referencesto those poor liverpool fans who’ve had such a rough time and it’s not funny that some don’t have jobs” type of bullshit.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Renew my ST or not? on 16:08 - May 19 with 4282 viewsDellHero_Would

I stopped going regularly around 5 years ago after the Europa games. For the reasons many have stated on here countless times.

I don’t even have any real interest in Prem football anymore either as it’s full of cûnts. Will always follow the Saints.

The game is dead….

Poll: Wearing a mask

Renew my ST or not? on 16:48 - May 19 with 4227 viewsPatfromPoole

I haven’t had a ST since 2008.

A membership enables you to get to any home game you want to go to, one of the good things about the move from The Dell.

Also enables to move around the ground if you fancy a change of scenery etc…..

Away games can be a bit tricky occasionally. Particularly European ones, though sadly I fear they may be a little while off…..

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Renew my ST or not? on 17:46 - May 19 with 4165 viewsSouthSeaSaint

I have been a season ticket holder for many (many!!) years and five of us moved to SMS from The Dell. I will be the only survivor next season and it is only because I can afford it that I will renew, rather than I am looking forward to the experience.
With more intense pressure on living costs allied to crap home form for several years, I can see a low take up this season which, added to a lowly League position will make funding for much needed new signings more unlikely.
Renew my ST or not? on 19:43 - May 19 with 4061 viewsTripleNiemi

Renew my ST or not? on 14:58 - May 19 by franniesTache

I keep my season ticket primarily to get access to away tickets, the way games are moved for tv now means i'm never going to make every home game due to work, but away games feel like they get moved far less (don't know if that's just my perception?).

If i had the choice i'd probably ditch the home season ticket, buy an away season ticket and pick home games as i could go.

Am the same, but to be honest aside from the odd 'London' team' and Bournemouth next season is there any benefit on the away games now as mostly you can get a ticket fairly easily.

We ain't gonna get to a Cup final or Europe anytime soon so in all honesty a Season Ticket has no real benefits nowadays aside from some voucher to get you a tour of the ground.
[Post edited 19 May 2022 19:45]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Renew my ST or not? on 23:51 - May 19 with 3963 viewsElijahK

I only still get one as the person I go with gets there’s cheaper when I get one as well (due to personal reasons). Meaning that as much as I miss out on many games due to my officiating, which 9 times outta ten I’m happy I was doing rather than being at St Mary’s! It’s still cheaper/better for me to have one anyway.
But if it wasn’t for the fact that it’s just an afternoon/day out, then I probably wouldn’t go. As I very rarely go to games just for the game, with no pubs/town before or after the game as they’re just a waste, and if your just going to watch the game then why not just do it on TV, as you get just as much atmosphere at home as you do at St Mary’s unless your in the Northam or Itchen North.

But like Franny’s Tash said, I mainly have them for the away days out in London and the likes of Bournemouth next season. As well as any decent cup runs/derby games we might pick up every once in a while. But for most other away games, they’re just a day when you spend a majority of it in some form of transport board, then see some crappy game and are miserable the whole way back!
Hence why it’s only really teams within a few hours away I go to for your typical league games, as I’ve been to most stadiums and will see a few new ones every season, but don’t go to many for multiple times too often as then you’ve not spent just as much time in your car as you have had watching a poor game.
[Post edited 19 May 2022 23:51]

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Login to get fewer ads

Renew my ST or not? on 00:01 - May 20 with 3941 viewsWints76

Despite it being too expensive, crap KO times, the same generic chants being used by all clubs with just a couple of name changes, the players being as far removed from reality as politicians, any decent players being hoovered up by the top clubs and 100 other things I could think of, I have renewed and I still get a kick out of going. A career change about 6 Years ago means I can't get to every game now, so perhaps I appreciate it more, but really, a bad day at football is still better than a good day at work
[Post edited 20 May 2022 0:11]
Renew my ST or not? on 08:35 - May 20 with 3828 viewsdwayne_dibley

thought about it a lot, getting to be a nice day out wrecked by a game of football

will probably give it another year pre-dotage

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Renew my ST or not? on 08:54 - May 20 with 3821 viewssaint901

Interesting.

I think we (my wife and I) have decided that membership is the way to go and pick up tickets for matches that suit us in terms of timing, opposition, our form etc.

We might also try to fit in some away games as my wife's family is from the north and apparently my "reward" for visiting them can be a Saints away game.

(An offer nobody could refuse?)

Not sure I understand the "atmosphere via the TV" comment though. Not only are the crowd noises deliberately unfocused (I have a friend who is a sound engineer for TV whose job at football matches is to do that) but the commentators irritate me to the point of useless shouting at the TV. (I know I can turn them off on some channels). Also, I'd watch Saints v Accrington Stanley in the cup (not yet in the league but give it time) but I'd not watch City v Liverpool because I have no interest in that.
Renew my ST or not? on 11:03 - May 20 with 3733 viewsSaintsforeverj

We have renewed. Most games we come away feeling annoyed and frustrated with the team, but a season ticket is better value for money than regularly buying on the day. My ST works out at about £28 per game, so you get about 3 or 4 games free, if you went to every game buying on the day. Members paying on the day would have to pay more than that for category a and b games, plus the price of the membership card. And we always hope we just might one day have a good year, and want first choice for big away days and for cup tickets.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 11:05]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Renew my ST or not? on 12:15 - May 20 with 3690 viewsUlsterBaz

I’ve ditched mine after 15 years. The eldest is off to university in September so didn’t fancy a ST for one. Hopefully pick up a ‘Membership’ and get to a few home games but it’s the aways I’ll miss more tbh. More often than not they’re a good day out regardless of the scoreline.
Renew my ST or not? on 12:24 - May 20 with 3682 viewsSaintsforeverj

Renew my ST or not? on 12:15 - May 20 by UlsterBaz

I’ve ditched mine after 15 years. The eldest is off to university in September so didn’t fancy a ST for one. Hopefully pick up a ‘Membership’ and get to a few home games but it’s the aways I’ll miss more tbh. More often than not they’re a good day out regardless of the scoreline.

To be honest, you can still get to most away games with a membership and probably borrow a season ticket number from someone for the 2 or 3 really popular ones that sell out to season tickets. The majority where we get 3000 tickets go to members. There are still a few left for Leicester.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Renew my ST or not? on 12:29 - May 20 with 3676 viewssaint901

Part of the equation for me was the fact that TV moving games and work and family meant that I missed 4 matches this season. I loaned my tickets to friends for two of them but the other two went begging.

That - for me - meant an average cost per game of £38. Membership plus perhaps 5 to 8 home games is about the same and I can pick and choose.
Renew my ST or not? on 10:23 - May 21 with 3522 viewsBerber

I have been struggling with this. I still haven’t taken up the renewal. I couldn’t be *rsed to travel down for the Liverpool game for the reasons stated previously. I sometimes feel like I’ve bought goods off a market, I know they are probably sh1t, but I always hope that it won’t be as bad as I sometimes fear.

The highs are brilliant though, and although they don’t in themselves merit the cost of a ST, the alternative would be tasked with doing the garden. A bit like hiding in the cesspit to avoid being p1ssed on. I’m pretty sure I’ll be back next season, but without hopes of a better outcome.
Renew my ST or not? on 22:32 - May 22 with 3367 viewsdarthvader

Membership for me im afraid .

simply cannot get to every game and certainly not justify the expense when im literally pullin my hair out at some of the crap we have been witnessing .

Prem football is about money and id rather pick and chose the games to waste my money on . ..depressing .

Leading up to and including the West ham game i was so happy and looking foward to going , bugeting to go and eager to .
... Now im just thankful its over with.

keep the faith coyr

Renew my ST or not? on 10:35 - May 23 with 3206 viewsandoverpedro

II too live 30 miles away and held a season ticket since 1992 but have been going to games since 1980. football has changed a great deal in that time . the main Reasons for not renewing are :
Games changing times and dates , Sundays, Friday nights , Monday nights all because of TV or people playing in europe never used to happen before the premier league if you played in europe you had to get on and play on saturday afternoon . The attendances are not exactly what they say as i see lots of empty seats at every game so i think alot of people will not renew there ST this year simply because of this .

Referee standards : constantly favour the bigger clubs with more money ( everton, Newcastle included) , its so obvious its embarassing thats why there was no english referees at the last world cup.

Management Basics : Southampton for 3 years now seem incapable of scoring goals despite creating alott of chances in games ( INGS the 1 exception) , Cannot defend and have the worse defensive record for the past 3 seasons. that i can rememeber.

VAR: Now used to decide the results of games usually in favour of the big clubs because its being run by referees who are are crooked or told to make sure results happen the way the premier league want.

I like Ralph as a person but his ability to motivate and energise players does not exist. anymore it did when he first came in and some of his team selections are very strange , for instance in the last 12 games choosing players that are out of contract and not selecting players that he brought ???
Renew my ST or not? on 14:33 - May 23 with 3108 viewsBerber

Renew my ST or not? on 10:35 - May 23 by andoverpedro

II too live 30 miles away and held a season ticket since 1992 but have been going to games since 1980. football has changed a great deal in that time . the main Reasons for not renewing are :
Games changing times and dates , Sundays, Friday nights , Monday nights all because of TV or people playing in europe never used to happen before the premier league if you played in europe you had to get on and play on saturday afternoon . The attendances are not exactly what they say as i see lots of empty seats at every game so i think alot of people will not renew there ST this year simply because of this .

Referee standards : constantly favour the bigger clubs with more money ( everton, Newcastle included) , its so obvious its embarassing thats why there was no english referees at the last world cup.

Management Basics : Southampton for 3 years now seem incapable of scoring goals despite creating alott of chances in games ( INGS the 1 exception) , Cannot defend and have the worse defensive record for the past 3 seasons. that i can rememeber.

VAR: Now used to decide the results of games usually in favour of the big clubs because its being run by referees who are are crooked or told to make sure results happen the way the premier league want.

I like Ralph as a person but his ability to motivate and energise players does not exist. anymore it did when he first came in and some of his team selections are very strange , for instance in the last 12 games choosing players that are out of contract and not selecting players that he brought ???

That is a good overview and I resonate with just about all of it to some degree. However, I have decided to renew after all. Despite the drive down (Ferkin Winchester), I love the "going to the match" feeling, the sense of excitement walking to the ground and the last 5 minute flood of Saints supporters filling the ground.

Despite the huge underperformance over the past seasons, it is still a privilege and a joy to see the quality of the top teams. For example, much as I did not enjoy being beaten by Chelsea, they did everything we aspire to so quickly and well. I just have to readjust that I am going to watch the football more than support the team, and take the upsides as and when they come (if at all).
Renew my ST or not? on 15:21 - May 23 with 3087 viewsElijahK

Renew my ST or not? on 10:35 - May 23 by andoverpedro

There were no English refs at the last World Cup as no English refs had enough experience using VAR, hence why now they do have that experience, English refs (Michael Oliver and Antony Taylor) have now been selected for the upcoming World Cup.
But yeah I certainly agree with the quality of the club and coaches just not being good enough and that it sure is a pain with all the KO dates/times changing soo consistently

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Renew my ST or not? on 15:32 - May 23 with 3078 viewsBenali_Saint

Ive renewed mine. I did stop and think about it this season, instead of just doing it straight away
Renew my ST or not? on 15:50 - May 23 with 3069 viewsSaintNick

Renew my ST or not? on 13:25 - May 19 by Buggalugs

Those that still go regularly have differing reasons why, but it should be quite a simple decision really. If you can't afford it, don't enjoy it or simply can't be arsed with it anymore, just don't bother. What's the point otherwise?

Ever since I've been going the downs have always out-weighed the ups and that will never change....it's the Southampton way. You either accept that's the case and make the most of it, or you move on.

I agree with this, its a simple decision, if you need to think about it then perhaps its best not to get a season ticket, this season has been no worse than any in the last 20 odd years aside from the relegation years, perhaps it has been the hope that has upset some, if we were consistent in our form then it doesn't feel so bad, but in the past two seasons we have gone from being in the top 10 to struggling to pick up a point.

Although funnily although there are loads of those who mention the poor end of season as a reason not to go, few actually say Hey we were top 10 earlier in the season I'm renewing.

It is the silent majority who just buy tickets as it is what they do, who are the backbone of the club, although of course it doesn't make them a better fan (copyright of every ex season ticket holder)

If anyone renewed las tyear thinking that we would finish in the top 5 i would be surprised, this is 2022, success is not fighting relegation, that has been the case since we returned to the top flight and its the case for all bar half a dozen clubs.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Renew my ST or not? on 10:34 - May 24 with 2854 viewsNickSO19

Renew my ST or not? on 00:01 - May 20 by Wints76

Despite it being too expensive, crap KO times, the same generic chants being used by all clubs with just a couple of name changes, the players being as far removed from reality as politicians, any decent players being hoovered up by the top clubs and 100 other things I could think of, I have renewed and I still get a kick out of going. A career change about 6 Years ago means I can't get to every game now, so perhaps I appreciate it more, but really, a bad day at football is still better than a good day at work
[Post edited 20 May 2022 0:11]

Spot on. My first check is if I can afford to renew if so then it’s always yes. I had a number of years where for financial and mental health reasons I could not go, so I am making the most of being able to at the moment and despite all the things that are wrong with football I still love going.
Renew my ST or not? on 20:09 - May 26 with 2687 viewsBerber

I got a printed reminder from the cub today. I am surprised there are enough people that need chivvying along to merit printed forms. I normally renew straight away, and will be in the next couple of days. Is it usual for them to send printed reminders? Is it an omen that the whole of the back side of the letter is black, along with about a third of the front? Should I stop dithering? haha.
Renew my ST or not? on 12:01 - May 27 with 2551 viewssaint901

I had the same printed nudge.

Have decided that ST is not for me/us.

Kingsland seats Z747 and Z746 will be available in the general sale.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024