Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Lester Piggott 09:56 - May 29 with 1838 viewsdale1968

Not a racing fan but a great personality Died earlier today in Switzerland..
https://news.sky.com/story/lester-piggott-legendary-jockey-dies-aged-86-12623488
[Post edited 29 May 2022 9:56]

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

RIP Lester Piggott on 11:33 - May 29 with 1752 viewsD_Alien

There's not enough words to explain how great a jockey this guy was

A flawed character who did time for tax evasion and was therefore never knighted, his affinity with horses gave him victories no-one else could conjure. Remember particularly his Derby win on Sir Ivor (same day Man U won their first European Cup in 1968) when he came storming from nowhere to snatch the race with a perfectly timed run

(There's a story online somewhere about how the horse came running across the field after not seeing him for many years, to greet him)

I wonder if those were the last thoughts he had before passing, exactly 54 years later

RIP

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RIP Lester Piggott on 12:23 - May 29 with 1716 viewsjonahwhereru

RIP Lester Piggott on 11:33 - May 29 by D_Alien

There's not enough words to explain how great a jockey this guy was

A flawed character who did time for tax evasion and was therefore never knighted, his affinity with horses gave him victories no-one else could conjure. Remember particularly his Derby win on Sir Ivor (same day Man U won their first European Cup in 1968) when he came storming from nowhere to snatch the race with a perfectly timed run

(There's a story online somewhere about how the horse came running across the field after not seeing him for many years, to greet him)

I wonder if those were the last thoughts he had before passing, exactly 54 years later

RIP

Well said. The Sir Ivor ride was outstanding as the man himself said afterwards the horse didn’t stay 1 1/2 miles.
I felt sorry for Lester as his dad was a driven character and as a “boy” jockey expected him to deliver constantly. That may of made him a imperious jockey but it also set the framework for Lester’s personality. He came across as aloof and cold and was a media disaster. That itself speaks to how good he was to be that highly regarded by all, without the media skill set that is seen as an essential element in making yourself a successful sportsman these days.
RIP
RIP Lester Piggott on 12:35 - May 29 with 1703 viewsD_Alien

RIP Lester Piggott on 12:23 - May 29 by jonahwhereru

Well said. The Sir Ivor ride was outstanding as the man himself said afterwards the horse didn’t stay 1 1/2 miles.
I felt sorry for Lester as his dad was a driven character and as a “boy” jockey expected him to deliver constantly. That may of made him a imperious jockey but it also set the framework for Lester’s personality. He came across as aloof and cold and was a media disaster. That itself speaks to how good he was to be that highly regarded by all, without the media skill set that is seen as an essential element in making yourself a successful sportsman these days.
RIP

Spot on with that

He was focused on just one thing - winning

Here's an example of his skill in timing and understanding a horse with this Breeders Cup victory at the age of 54 (after his second return from retirement). He settles the horse at the back of the field from the stalls, green colours

[Post edited 29 May 2022 12:37]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RIP Lester Piggott on 13:25 - May 29 with 1655 viewselectricblue

The greatest ever Jockey ever imho.
Piggott was rather tall to be a jockey and that did not stop him, due to his size he gained a nick the long fellow..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

RIP Lester Piggott on 22:14 - May 29 with 1495 viewsjudd

I remember him robbing another jockeys whip mid-race

Poll: What is it to be then?

RIP Lester Piggott on 22:51 - May 29 with 1466 viewsnordenblue

RIP Lester Piggott on 22:14 - May 29 by judd

I remember him robbing another jockeys whip mid-race

Surely that's not the right time to be eating chips?
RIP Lester Piggott on 11:59 - May 30 with 1283 views100notout

Brilliant Jockey.

His funeral is this Wednesday at 20/1

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024