Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? 22:15 - Jun 29 with 4462 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/57955/southampton-launch

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 22:22 - Jun 29 with 4446 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Who are all the randoms in the picture? All the owners can afford in terms of signings? Christ.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 06:26 - Jun 30 with 4305 viewsTripleNiemi

....'bravery on and off the pitch'....

Made me blöody laugh as we are about as brave on the pitch as a brown paper bag.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 08:25 - Jun 30 with 4218 viewsSonicBoom

I'm not sure it's going to make anyone feel brave when wearing it. What a load of marketing BS that is. But....
I like it. Bit like the sash we had it's a little different and makes a change from boring stripes.
Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 10:00 - Jun 30 with 4152 viewsMytchettSaint

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 06:26 - Jun 30 by TripleNiemi

....'bravery on and off the pitch'....

Made me blöody laugh as we are about as brave on the pitch as a brown paper bag.

The red stripe also has the technology to turn yellow as a feature of this new shirt.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 10:02 - Jun 30 with 4136 viewssaints__fan__73

"To be blunt" the amount of times you have had to have this exact same argument surely shows you beyond reasonable doubt that while Saints are intrinsically red and white this is not necessarily in stripes.

Of course Newcastle fans would be up in arms if they had a black and white version of this kit but that's as they are ALWAYS in stripes. We are not... I've just had a look through the historical Southampton kits page and since 1976 there have been NINETEEN seasons where we have have had a home kit which is not what you would term as 'traditional stripes'!

Our history gives us the great position of being able to have different types of red and white kits, be that 'candy bar' stripes, the Xerox kit or the sash.

It also makes perfect marketing sense as having stripes one year and a red and white kit the next gives a degree of differentiation between kits. Many fans would not buy a striped kit if the one before was a striped kit and the one after was also to be a striped kit.

I think the problem for you Nick, is less about the history of club and more down to your own personal leanings as a deckchair fetishist.

p.s. you didn't say sorry to me for doubting me when I told you that this season's kit would not be stripes.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 10:44 - Jun 30 with 4091 viewsBazza

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 10:02 - Jun 30 by saints__fan__73

"To be blunt" the amount of times you have had to have this exact same argument surely shows you beyond reasonable doubt that while Saints are intrinsically red and white this is not necessarily in stripes.

Of course Newcastle fans would be up in arms if they had a black and white version of this kit but that's as they are ALWAYS in stripes. We are not... I've just had a look through the historical Southampton kits page and since 1976 there have been NINETEEN seasons where we have have had a home kit which is not what you would term as 'traditional stripes'!

Our history gives us the great position of being able to have different types of red and white kits, be that 'candy bar' stripes, the Xerox kit or the sash.

It also makes perfect marketing sense as having stripes one year and a red and white kit the next gives a degree of differentiation between kits. Many fans would not buy a striped kit if the one before was a striped kit and the one after was also to be a striped kit.

I think the problem for you Nick, is less about the history of club and more down to your own personal leanings as a deckchair fetishist.

p.s. you didn't say sorry to me for doubting me when I told you that this season's kit would not be stripes.

Ghastly kit which is probably what JWP is thinking by the look on his face.
Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 10:51 - Jun 30 with 4080 viewsSaintNick

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 10:02 - Jun 30 by saints__fan__73

You should have taken a look at Newcastle's kit history before making the bold claim that they have always been in stripes, they too have veered away from traditional stripes on quite a few occasions and back in the 70's 80's 90's they too had some awful kits.

Take their kit in 1983 to 85 basically a white shirt with black pinstripes or 1990 to 93 an awful design with half thick stripes and half thin stripes, they havent dabbled as much as us, but they have varied the stripes a lot.

Most teams aside from the truly big clubs had a funny 20 year period from 1976 - 1996 and this is where we in the main did not have stripes in the traditional sense.

You are right in this period there have been a few periods where we havent had stripes, but they are few and far between.

The 1976-80 Admiral shirt was stripes, just not traditional, The Patrick kits from 1980-87 was not stripes and neither was the Hummel kit in 87-89, so that would be 9 seasons.

Since 1989 I would say that only 09/10 with the sash kit, 2012/13 with the Liverpool pin stripes kit, 13/14 with the all red kit, 17/18 with the Patrick style retro kit and 20/21 with the sash gain have not been stripes, so that isn't 19 seasons it's 14.

Given that we started wearing stripes in 1896, that is 14 seasons out of 126 years where we havent worn stripes of some sort, given that the two years of the sash were true hark backs to our past, we have worn stripes of some sort for around 90% of the history of the club.

I accept that we can't have the same stripes every year, we have to do what Newcastle have done and vary them from year to year, perhaps 3 years with a traditional look albeit sometimes you throw in something different as a few years back with the black upper front and a year when we go to a retro kit.

The problem is not about me, it is about a football club being known for it's kit. as I keep saying the truly iconic clubs are about tradition and not marketing a shirt each year.

We like to brag about how we gave Athletico Bilbao and subsequently Atletico Madrid, yet we don't play in it ourselves, would Liverpool play in this seasons kit or Manchester united, we all know the answer to that , the answer is that their club would not dare to do so, yet they sell more shirts than anyone.

So you are saying that Saints can get away with it because se are not an iconic club, we are just a run of the mill club like everyone else, we are sheep who fall for every marketing ploy going

Some like you are clearly that caring little for the traditions and the history of the club, yet quick to slag off the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United.

I don't live in the past, I know the shirt design has to change, but I balk at something that is just the whim of some shirt designer with Hummel and some marketing executive within Saints who knew so much of our history that they thought it inspired the club legend Charlie George a player whose career at Saints was very similar to another Charlie this time Austin, who despite all his injuries played twice as many games and scored twice as many goals as Charlie George for Saints lol

Give me a good reason why we change from stripes, but don't give me the clubs marketing ploy lol

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 11:27 - Jun 30 with 4034 viewssaints__fan__73

I don't know what Newcastle kit you are thinking of from 1983-85 but they look pretty striped to me! In fact I can't really see anything not stripes since the 1800s!!!

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Newcastle_United/Newcastle_United.htm

I don't know the relevance of iconic Nick, we are not an iconic club. There are only a handful of these across Europe. We are a bottom half of the PL team whose role is to play the part of opponents to the fans of the big teams who are watching around the globe. We are a small club who can just about fill out a 30k stadium every other week with mainly local fans. With our current owners we will never amount to more than this and could quite possibly amount to a lot less.

The good thing with the kit is that, for as many deckchair fetishists like your good self, whenever a new kit gets launched there are just as many fans who hate the stripes too!

I think alternating between stripes and not is the perfect compromise.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 13:48 - Jun 30 with 3949 viewsMonksway

Took me a while but I'm ok with most kits that are a mix of red/white and black. Like Nick I go back to Ron Davies and Terry Paine in red and white stripes and gold and black away kit. But fans wore scarves then not replicas and there was no sponsors on the front or names on the back. Different time. All about sales so shirt has to be distinct from last year, that's all.
Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 12:56 - Jul 1 with 3775 viewsBerber

Notwithstanding whether or not there should be stripes, it is a half @rsed washout of a design. As I don’t think it is a good look for old gits, as the pic demonstrates, I wouldn’t wear one anyway. In the late 80s or early 90s, Sunderland did a stylish white with thin red stripes, which I would buy and wear as casual ware.
Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 09:13 - Jul 4 with 3537 viewssaintwizzler

WTF IS THIS?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 09:37 - Jul 4 with 3506 viewsButty101

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 09:13 - Jul 4 by saintwizzler

WTF IS THIS?

That is bloody awful

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 10:17 - Jul 4 with 3469 viewsBuggalugs

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 09:13 - Jul 4 by saintwizzler

WTF IS THIS?

Can't wait to see this on a 20 stone 50 something.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 10:53 - Jul 4 with 3437 viewssaintwizzler

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 10:17 - Jul 4 by Buggalugs

Can't wait to see this on a 20 stone 50 something.

Waddling up the Seven Sisters road on 6th August munching on a dog shit burger from a local ‘restaurant’, yes?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 11:19 - Jul 4 with 3403 viewsdirk_doone

Probably not. I expect we've only got it on loan.

The away kit is on loan from Newport County. Newport are hoping to turn it into a permanent transfer.

https://www.footballshirtculture.com/2021-22-kits/newport-county-2021-22-hummel-
[Post edited 4 Jul 2022 12:18]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Southampton Launch New Home Kit- But Is It Saints ? on 14:59 - Jul 4 with 3322 viewsPoirot

Im trying to imagine club management sat around a table with hummel. They all point the fingers up at these two kits as goers and sellable. Saints are not known for being big shirts sellers and i dont see that changing. Just dont get it at all really and for a PL team its poor.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024