Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charman 11:16 - Aug 7 with 2958 viewsHullDale

Aside from the debate about performances etc, I feel really uncomfortable with Stockdale's comments after the game re:Charman.

It sounds like he tweaked his hamstring warming up against Crewe, didn't tell anyone and made it worse when he came on - meaning he is likely to be out for a while.

It raises a few questions, mainly:

- Why didn't he feel he could tell somebody?
- Is there an issue with the fitness / coaching, as we seem to be getting a disproportionate amount of injuries?
- With someone who is clearly a confidence player, is calling him out in the press the right thing to do?

Not good.
Charman on 11:39 - Aug 7 with 2883 viewsD_Alien

Thanks for the heads up with this - i'll give the interview a listen now. (I'd stopped listening to his interviews, just as i'd stopped listening to BBM's after a while and for similar reasons)

I'd read 442's comment about "he sounded frustrated about Charman" but assumed it was simply due to his being injured

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Charman on 11:54 - Aug 7 with 2803 viewsBrierls

It’s probably the most worrying thing to come out of that interview.

Firstly, it’s completely unprofessional on Charman’s part for not informing staff of an injury. Let’s not let that go unsaid BUT…it rings massive alarm bells that the management team have created an environment where a player has felt he has to hide an injury! Whether that’s for fear of less game time, less opportunity, damaged reputation, it doesn’t matter. That’s not a good environment.
Charman on 12:05 - Aug 7 with 2749 viewsjonahwhereru

Charman has been a professional sportsman in a team environment long enough to know there is no benefit to anybody in concealing an injury. The management and team mates have the right to be miffed with him. What was he thinking, Campbell is only just back in light training. Call it out and let the manager decide the next action. Would add that all players get asked to play carrying niggles from time to time.
I didn’t like it when Hill called out a young Andy Cannon about needing to learn to play through pain, but see this as a different case.
All teams especially at this level will pick up there share of injuries at various times of the season. Fitness coaches and physio’s are on a hiding to nothing, they are often working with crocks and the management and injured players often are keen to try and get the player back as early as possible.
Charman on 12:06 - Aug 7 with 2741 viewsDalenet

Charman on 11:54 - Aug 7 by Brierls

It’s probably the most worrying thing to come out of that interview.

Firstly, it’s completely unprofessional on Charman’s part for not informing staff of an injury. Let’s not let that go unsaid BUT…it rings massive alarm bells that the management team have created an environment where a player has felt he has to hide an injury! Whether that’s for fear of less game time, less opportunity, damaged reputation, it doesn’t matter. That’s not a good environment.

Or he may feel threatened by Hendo's return. Here is a young lad given the chance of league football again who doesn't want to miss out. I am not drawing any conclusions about culture from anything we've heard so far.
Charman on 12:11 - Aug 7 with 2710 viewsD_Alien

"It [the way we started the game] reminded me of last season and i don't know why, it's a different group of players"

Hmm...

The penny has well and truly dropped with him about his career in management being at a crossroads. Not a lack of effort as such (i agree) but somehow the players just aren't getting stuck in. That leaves the system they're being asked to play, in which they're not comfortable and don't believe in. I'm not sure how he sold coming to Dale to those new players? Hendo said he'd had a great chat with RS on joining, but like many of the others is struggling to adapt to the reality

Sounds like Charman's out for a few matches. I won't comment on the injury but there's history from last season when he was on the bench

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Charman on 12:34 - Aug 7 with 2635 views49thseason

It could be that Charman is wary of his situation, he knows this is probably his last shot at a full time football career, he is desperate to play. Anyone who has been made redundant and gets a new job is probably hyper-aware of the smallest comments relating to the work situation at the new job and the smallest comment can create huge anxiety. He is desperate to play, I dont think thats neccessarily a bad thing.

Stockdale isnt Keith Hill, he isnt the leader of the pack, he seems rather humourless and uptight, that will transmit to the players. Its time to prove that the team includes everyone. There comes a point where the charts and the routines become counter- productive. Get on the bus and go for a day at Ainsdale beach, play cricket, have a paddle have some fun, go to the pub for lunch.

If they are not fit enough now, they never will be! This group needs to be a gang..., one for all, all for one!

Keith was the leader of the gang Robbie comes across as the miserable French teacher who nobody liked. I dont really know who the real Robbie Stockdale is, but I know the best football managers do what their heart tells them not what the statistics say. He needs to find a way to do his own thing, what is his assistant saying about all this? How much time is the Chairman spending with him, reassuring, coaxing, questioning? Does this club actually have a philosophy or is it all about survival and is that actually killing us? Dare we be different? Can the real Robbie Stockdale please stand up and cut the FA coaching badge cliches and start enjoying himself?
Charman on 12:54 - Aug 7 with 2563 viewsSaxonDale

The whole Charman situation since his signing has smacked of damn-poor management. We were constantly told Charman wasn’t ready for the rigours of League 2 whilst Campbell looked out of sorts on his own upfront, only for Charman to play the full 90 pretty much the game after Campbell was injured.

He then proceeds to mildly impress- certainly enough for myself and others to think he could be an asset after a full preseason having got minutes under his belt last season.The Henderson deal seems to have put him back down the pecking order and I presume he’ll only drift further down once Campbell is back. I’ve said this before but if you look at Stockdale’s attack he’s signed:

Henderson (presume he’ll be on a decent wage and will be first pick when fit)
Rodney (went for money in January presume he’ll be on a decent wage)
Campbell (signed for 6 figure fee after excelling in a front 2)
Charman (signed for money can’t see him playing anywhere along the frontline except up top)
Sinclair (pacy winger but we don’t have a system that uses wingers)

His whole recruitment process to me has looked like it has smacked of someone without a real plan. Sign someone he thinks is decent and then work out where to play them later. I haven’t called for a managers head since Coleman, but I don’t trust Stockdale to get it right and I feel we could get one/ two valuable signings with the right person in charge which might help us until
January.
Charman on 12:58 - Aug 7 with 2551 viewsrichfoad32

Why did Charman say anything about injuring himself warming up and keeping shtum? Surely he could just say it went after he came on and nobody would be any the wiser?
Login to get fewer ads

Charman on 13:13 - Aug 7 with 2489 viewsTalkingSutty

Not sure how you know about them both being bullies but if that really is the case then they picked the wrong club, we’ve had a belly full of bullying over the last few years and as a fan owned club it won’t be condoned...from the Chairman down to the glass collectors there is no place for it anymore and any instances of it will be called out and acted on. Nobody is bigger than the club and it should be a happy and welcoming place to work for all employees, including the players. Is there anything in place to report instances of bullying/ racial and homophobic behaviour in the workplace, who is responsible for dealing with those complaints and is there a process which fosters confidentiality? I’m assuming all those concerns are already covered by the new regime at the club.
Charman on 13:27 - Aug 7 with 2429 viewsNewbury_Dale

The blame here lies squarely with Charman IMO.
Charman on 13:29 - Aug 7 with 2399 viewsjudd

Charman on 13:13 - Aug 7 by TalkingSutty

Not sure how you know about them both being bullies but if that really is the case then they picked the wrong club, we’ve had a belly full of bullying over the last few years and as a fan owned club it won’t be condoned...from the Chairman down to the glass collectors there is no place for it anymore and any instances of it will be called out and acted on. Nobody is bigger than the club and it should be a happy and welcoming place to work for all employees, including the players. Is there anything in place to report instances of bullying/ racial and homophobic behaviour in the workplace, who is responsible for dealing with those complaints and is there a process which fosters confidentiality? I’m assuming all those concerns are already covered by the new regime at the club.

Every manager at our club in modern times has been accused of bullying, usually via social media posts without any substance to back up their claims.

It's pathetic.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Charman on 13:30 - Aug 7 with 2385 views49thseason

Do you have any evidence?
Charman on 13:30 - Aug 7 with 2383 viewsnordenblue

It's a shame he doesn't bully them into a decent performance once in a while then...
Charman on 15:31 - Aug 7 with 2066 viewsJames1980

Luke might have thought it was something that didn't warrant mentioning prior to coming on as a sub, hopefully it wasn't anything more sinister than that.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Charman on 15:41 - Aug 7 with 2041 viewsboromat

Charman on 15:31 - Aug 7 by James1980

Luke might have thought it was something that didn't warrant mentioning prior to coming on as a sub, hopefully it wasn't anything more sinister than that.

Stop it James with your grounded common sense reasoned comments!

In this day and age only hyperbole, rumours, over the top reactions are allowed!

We deserve promotion and we deserve it yesterday! And we want it for free.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Charman on 16:01 - Aug 7 with 1981 viewsSuddenLad

Charman on 13:29 - Aug 7 by judd

Every manager at our club in modern times has been accused of bullying, usually via social media posts without any substance to back up their claims.

It's pathetic.

It's also libellous, unless there is absolute proof.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Charman on 16:22 - Aug 7 with 1905 viewsjudd

Charman on 16:01 - Aug 7 by SuddenLad

It's also libellous, unless there is absolute proof.

Absolutely, as those who called out Bottomley clearly displayed

Poll: What is it to be then?

Charman on 16:22 - Aug 7 with 1905 viewsfourfourtwo

Charman on 13:30 - Aug 7 by 49thseason

Do you have any evidence?

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/forum/283821/page:3

Page 3 onwards
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 16:26]
Charman on 16:44 - Aug 7 with 1809 viewskel

Charman on 16:22 - Aug 7 by fourfourtwo

Page 3 onwards

More opinion than evidence wouldn’t you say?
Charman on 16:49 - Aug 7 with 1781 viewsMass_Debater

Charman on 16:22 - Aug 7 by fourfourtwo

Page 3 onwards

Managers and assistants have always shouted at players.
Charman on 16:51 - Aug 7 with 1757 views442Dale

What’s going on here? No kit mentions from this new arrival.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Charman on 16:53 - Aug 7 with 1740 viewskel

Charman on 16:51 - Aug 7 by 442Dale

What’s going on here? No kit mentions from this new arrival.

Aye, not even on the Centenary kit.
Charman on 16:54 - Aug 7 with 1727 viewsfitzochris

Charman on 13:29 - Aug 7 by judd

It's pathetic.

I think we’re getting into the realms of the personal too, here. Let’s focus on what we know and can see - that being what happens on the pitch.

Without all the facts about the Charman situation - we only have an RS post-match interview to go off - it seems the player should certainly shoulder a proportion of the blame here.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Charman on 17:06 - Aug 7 with 1638 viewskel

Charman on 16:54 - Aug 7 by fitzochris

I think we’re getting into the realms of the personal too, here. Let’s focus on what we know and can see - that being what happens on the pitch.

Without all the facts about the Charman situation - we only have an RS post-match interview to go off - it seems the player should certainly shoulder a proportion of the blame here.

Agreed.

And people reappearing with new usernames still can’t help themselves.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024