Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread 10:32 - Oct 21 with 16929 viewsHullDale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 16:01 - Oct 23 with 3018 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 15:46 - Oct 23 by Dalenet

I don't care about yesterday. I am talking about changing the rules if the game. We wouldn't be there till 6pm as players and managers would get used to it.

It would become too much like American Football. For example, teams would reset their positions for throw-ins knowing the time has stopped - any urgency to take a set piece with the knowledge the clock is ticking would actually see the whole process take even longer.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 16:40 - Oct 23 with 2914 viewsJames1980

Perhaps more bookings for time wasting wouldn't be a bad idea. Also how about the player who picks up the ball is one that takes a throw in.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2022 16:41]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:11 - Oct 23 with 2692 viewsClivert

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 16:01 - Oct 23 by 442Dale

It would become too much like American Football. For example, teams would reset their positions for throw-ins knowing the time has stopped - any urgency to take a set piece with the knowledge the clock is ticking would actually see the whole process take even longer.

That is correct, it would be the biggest change in the history of the game if we went down that route.

Going back to earlier in the thread, comparing Wimbledon's tactics to our tactics at Newport is a completely different thing I feel, after Wimbledon's first goal every outfield player of theirs slowly walked to the main stand/Sandy corner of the pitch to congratulate the goalscorer which after 39mins of a game is something that is a time wasting tactic that you attach to the Darren Ferguson school of football.

Seeing a game out for the last 15mins like we did at Newport and comparing it to what Wimbledon did yesterday isn't fair.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 19:46 - Oct 23 with 2600 viewsEllDale

To my mind there’s a difference between “accepted” ways of slowing things down like dawdling over throws or dead ball kicks (don’t forget O’Donnell was booked against Barrow and no one commented on that) and more devious methods. By this I mean the manner in which players were rolling round in agony yesterday causing a stoppage which has infuriated people.
Perhaps, once these injured players are eventually ushered off the pitch, they shouldn’t be waved straight back onto the field once the game has restarted as happens now. Make them wait two minutes for example?
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:31 - Oct 23 with 2493 viewspioneer

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 15:26 - Oct 23 by 442Dale

We’d also be finishing games at gone 6pm.

The ref decides added time, not the fourth official, and yesterday it got it about right.

Both rugby codes switched to stopping the clock when the ball is not in play…..and it has led to an 80 minute game taking close to two hours to complete in many cases.

One example…..Attempts at conversions following tries take ages as kickers wait for some old geyser to hobble over with a water bottle and some kid on a mini car bring on a kicking tee. The kicker wipes himself down, does his hair and endlessly adjusts the ball on the tee. And this occurs even when the kick is directly in front of the posts…something Graham Starkey would have taken 30 seconds over at the Athletic Grounds.

Please…no stopping the clock at football. players and coaches just manipulate the laws to try to gain an advantage.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:38 - Oct 23 with 2481 viewsjudd

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:31 - Oct 23 by pioneer

Both rugby codes switched to stopping the clock when the ball is not in play…..and it has led to an 80 minute game taking close to two hours to complete in many cases.

One example…..Attempts at conversions following tries take ages as kickers wait for some old geyser to hobble over with a water bottle and some kid on a mini car bring on a kicking tee. The kicker wipes himself down, does his hair and endlessly adjusts the ball on the tee. And this occurs even when the kick is directly in front of the posts…something Graham Starkey would have taken 30 seconds over at the Athletic Grounds.

Please…no stopping the clock at football. players and coaches just manipulate the laws to try to gain an advantage.

Your last bit sums it up perfectly. Manipulation. Another bug bear is pinching yards at throw ins and free kicks.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2022 21:03]

Poll: What is it to be then?

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:39 - Oct 23 with 2468 viewskel

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:31 - Oct 23 by pioneer

So that’s why Mazey gets so hammered? Long time to milk free booze that.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 11:11 - Oct 24 with 2081 viewsBucketBstard

I know we have played a bit of gamesmanship. But Wimbledon totally destroyed any flow of the game. They were at it even before they scored. Then as Clivert mentioned ,all strolled over to congratulate the scorer on 1st one.
The number of players sitting down and rolling around was awful to watch. As a football game it was not enjoyable at all. We didnt help with an inept performance , but with opposition like that , it could easily put people off going to the game at all.
I also wasnt happy with Hendo "diving " as if he had been kicked in the face whilst fighting in an Octagon! . It was embarrassing, yet I sort of see what he was trying to do. But it left a nasty taste in the mouth.
Login to get fewer ads

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 12:13 - Oct 24 with 2016 viewsrod_leach

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 11:11 - Oct 24 by BucketBstard

I know we have played a bit of gamesmanship. But Wimbledon totally destroyed any flow of the game. They were at it even before they scored. Then as Clivert mentioned ,all strolled over to congratulate the scorer on 1st one.
The number of players sitting down and rolling around was awful to watch. As a football game it was not enjoyable at all. We didnt help with an inept performance , but with opposition like that , it could easily put people off going to the game at all.
I also wasnt happy with Hendo "diving " as if he had been kicked in the face whilst fighting in an Octagon! . It was embarrassing, yet I sort of see what he was trying to do. But it left a nasty taste in the mouth.

From my viewpoint, it looked exactly like Hendo was kicked in the face. The bloke's foot was certainly as high as Hendo's face
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 12:35 - Oct 24 with 1951 viewsNorthernDale

The incident involving Hendo kicked in the face was dangerous play, in that the foot was far too high and some refs would have pointed to the spot. There was another incident in the second half, in which Sinclair was clearly pushed in the back in the penalty box, when going for the ball and the ref did nothing. The ref was so weak, it was embarrassing, how times did he warn their number 10 about his constant fouling.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 15:26 - Oct 24 with 1741 viewsAtThePeake

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 12:35 - Oct 24 by NorthernDale

The incident involving Hendo kicked in the face was dangerous play, in that the foot was far too high and some refs would have pointed to the spot. There was another incident in the second half, in which Sinclair was clearly pushed in the back in the penalty box, when going for the ball and the ref did nothing. The ref was so weak, it was embarrassing, how times did he warn their number 10 about his constant fouling.

I'm 95% sure it was outside the box, but I definitely thought it was a foul for a high foot at the time.

Agree about Assal though. I was stunned that it was only his first yellow when he finally was shown one in the 85th minute.

Tangled up in blue.

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 15:28 - Oct 24 with 1738 viewsAtThePeake

The timewasting discussion is a really interesting one. Fourfourtwo at one stage accused 442 of being high & mighty in his view that all time-wasting is the same, but I've found the views that Wimbledon's timewasting tactics were beyond some imaginary threshold of what level of timewasting is acceptable to be the high and mighty one. I strongly suspect that threshold that people have created in their mind is subconsciously far more noticeable when the other team have crossed it than when your own team have crossed it too.

The fact that people have pointed out things that we haven't done - like not having all of our players go to celebrate a goal like Wimbledon did, have only told me that we haven't been managing the game as well as Wimbledon did this weekend. If a referee is going to let you get away with these so-called dark arts, then you need to take that opportunity, because if not, you're only handicapping yourself for the sake of some high and mighty but imaginary idea of what is an acceptable amount of timewasting.

We're in a position where we need to win games first and foremost. When we've learnt how to do that, by any means necessary, then we can start to win games in the 'right way' if that's what supporters want. But we need to win first, otherwise we may drop out of the Football League which don't forget will be THE END OF THE CLUB!

Tangled up in blue.

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 16:47 - Oct 24 with 1569 views49thseason

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 12:35 - Oct 24 by NorthernDale

It was evident within a few minutes of kick- off that the Referee was not going to be giving any controversial decisions as the play acting had already started and the Wimbledon team were in his ear at every opportunity without any censorship from the officials. By the middle of the second half, the ref seemed to be in jovial conversations with his new best friends.
I note that the ref is well down the L2 referees list for yellow cards ( I think about 36/54) for a game that featured the worst yellow card miscreants in the division ( Wimbledon) and the team in joint 3rd place (RAFC)... not a great choice for a potentially explosive game, although I have no idea how referees are allocated to games but I doubt its done randomly with numbered balls.
Equally it seemed that the linesmen had adopted a " see no evil (unless the ref sees it first)" attitude, presumeably at his behest.
Perhaps its time to introduce a second referee or at least, properly empower linesmen to be the assistant referees they purport to be and let them make decisions on things they see, such as a high foot or shirt pulling which the Laws deem to be foul play without the need to refer to the Referee
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 16:51 - Oct 24 with 1546 viewsDalenet

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 15:28 - Oct 24 by AtThePeake

The timewasting discussion is a really interesting one. Fourfourtwo at one stage accused 442 of being high & mighty in his view that all time-wasting is the same, but I've found the views that Wimbledon's timewasting tactics were beyond some imaginary threshold of what level of timewasting is acceptable to be the high and mighty one. I strongly suspect that threshold that people have created in their mind is subconsciously far more noticeable when the other team have crossed it than when your own team have crossed it too.

The fact that people have pointed out things that we haven't done - like not having all of our players go to celebrate a goal like Wimbledon did, have only told me that we haven't been managing the game as well as Wimbledon did this weekend. If a referee is going to let you get away with these so-called dark arts, then you need to take that opportunity, because if not, you're only handicapping yourself for the sake of some high and mighty but imaginary idea of what is an acceptable amount of timewasting.

We're in a position where we need to win games first and foremost. When we've learnt how to do that, by any means necessary, then we can start to win games in the 'right way' if that's what supporters want. But we need to win first, otherwise we may drop out of the Football League which don't forget will be THE END OF THE CLUB!

Your middle paragraph is a fair one and we had 7 minutes to try and craft an equaliser. I think we only got into their box once. So Yes, we need to learn how to play the game to win

As for the bigger picture, football is full of issues that the game has declared it will address. Whether that be time wasting, gaining yards for throw ins, keepers releasing the ball outside their area when restarting play, players surrounding refs, players not going off by the shortest route blah blah blah. Unless refs start clamping down (consistently) it will just get worse. I don't want to watch another game like Saturday, but I guess we will.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:39 - Oct 24 with 1449 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 15:28 - Oct 24 by AtThePeake

It’ll be interesting to see how the away end reacts if we take the lead tomorrow and hold onto it until late in the second half.

Hope O’Donnell is ready for the incandescent rage that will rain down on him when he starts taking a bit longer over goal kicks.

Also, correction:END AND DEATH AND TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF ALL FOOTBALL IN THE BOROUGH. INCLUDING FIRGROVE PLAYING FIELDS.

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:43 - Oct 24 with 1313 viewsTVOS1907

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 17:39 - Oct 24 by 442Dale

It’ll be interesting to see how the away end reacts if we take the lead tomorrow and hold onto it until late in the second half.

Hope O’Donnell is ready for the incandescent rage that will rain down on him when he starts taking a bit longer over goal kicks.

Also, correction:END AND DEATH AND TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF ALL FOOTBALL IN THE BOROUGH. INCLUDING FIRGROVE PLAYING FIELDS.

Don't forget the black socks.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:04 - Oct 24 with 1165 views49thseason

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 18:43 - Oct 24 by TVOS1907

Don't forget the black socks.

Particularly under floodlights with dark backgrounds...and the clocks go back at weekend too.
AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:16 - Oct 24 with 1144 viewsTVOS1907

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:04 - Oct 24 by 49thseason

Particularly under floodlights with dark backgrounds...and the clocks go back at weekend too.

God knows how Newcastle cope.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:29 - Oct 24 with 1121 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:04 - Oct 24 by 49thseason

In L2, Bradford, Harrogate and Dale all wear black socks in their first choice kits. Carlisle wear navy, their whole kit is very dark this year in the same colour as the socks.

Carlisle and Bradford are in the play-off spots. Dale and Harrogate are in the lower reaches.

Away from home Northampton have a chocolate and navy halved shirt that’s worn with black shorts and socks. They’ve worn it in a win at Swindon and again at league leaders Stevenage on Saturday. They’ve also lost a couple wearing it.

Is there any other definitive information that indicates that changing the sock colour will impact results in a positive or negative fashion in L2? Maybe some historical analysis.

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:36 - Oct 24 with 1086 views442Dale

AFC Wimbledon (h) Match Thread on 20:16 - Oct 24 by TVOS1907

God knows how Newcastle cope.

Or Man United and Rangers over the years. Bet they haven’t won much.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024