Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 90156 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 13:39 - Jul 7 with 2672 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 13:30 - Jul 7 by Nov77

Especially when you do it once, get it away with it, but still do it again and get out.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes 2023 on 14:33 - Jul 7 with 2563 viewsdaveB

Stokes is incredible, another brilliant innings
Ashes 2023 on 15:02 - Jul 7 with 2492 viewsdenhamhoop2

Ashes 2023 on 14:33 - Jul 7 by daveB

Stokes is incredible, another brilliant innings

Actually think he is a better player when not fully fit seems to make him just think much smarter the problem is sooner or later he will try and bowl England to victory and it will finish his knee off for good. Think he may have got past Botham as my favourite ever England player and that is some accolade
Ashes 2023 on 21:29 - Jul 7 with 2344 viewsterryb

Away from the test match, I see that in the T20 the south rules!

Essex, Somerset & Surrey in the semi finals & Hampshire almost certain to join them.
Ashes 2023 on 22:53 - Jul 7 with 2265 viewsdistortR

Ashes 2023 on 03:50 - Jul 7 by Benny_the_Ball

Catches win prizes. What do catches win?

last thing i caught can in no way be termed a prize.
Ashes 2023 on 23:23 - Jul 7 with 2224 viewstraininvain

I’m sure this will be controversial for some but England would be very unlucky to go 3-0 down on the balance of play across the three tests. It could quite easily be the other way around.

It’d be a real shame for the rest of the series if Australia win at Headingley.
Ashes 2023 on 00:14 - Jul 8 with 2160 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 21:29 - Jul 7 by terryb

Away from the test match, I see that in the T20 the south rules!

Essex, Somerset & Surrey in the semi finals & Hampshire almost certain to join them.

Finals day might as well be held at Lords.
Ashes 2023 on 01:55 - Jul 8 with 2135 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 23:23 - Jul 7 by traininvain

I’m sure this will be controversial for some but England would be very unlucky to go 3-0 down on the balance of play across the three tests. It could quite easily be the other way around.

Agreed. The Aussie media always turn into five year old children around the ashes so the narrative is very them dominating and their obsession with showing "bazball" doesn't work, but all games could have gone either way.

Yesterday a great example for me of why we should stick with attacking. Seven down and Stokes with the tail. Went all out attack and got within 30 runs. We'd have conceded a lead of around 100 by going conservative I reckon.

Pretty much every England test these days is close and entertaining, compared to the usual 80% plus of test cricket which is utterly boring. The Aussies want the current approach gone because they want us to be scared of playing them and miserable while we're doing it.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 02:59 - Jul 8 with 2121 viewsWA_Hoop

Ashes 2023 on 01:55 - Jul 8 by SydneyRs

Agreed. The Aussie media always turn into five year old children around the ashes so the narrative is very them dominating and their obsession with showing "bazball" doesn't work, but all games could have gone either way.

Yesterday a great example for me of why we should stick with attacking. Seven down and Stokes with the tail. Went all out attack and got within 30 runs. We'd have conceded a lead of around 100 by going conservative I reckon.

Pretty much every England test these days is close and entertaining, compared to the usual 80% plus of test cricket which is utterly boring. The Aussies want the current approach gone because they want us to be scared of playing them and miserable while we're doing it.

The Aussie media in general are one-eyed and the sports media even more so. Honestly, apparently Wimbledon is as good as over after a week because there's only one Aussie player left in the tournament.

Bazball would have worked against this lot if only England had toned it down a tad during the odd passage of play that required such measures.
Ashes 2023 on 08:07 - Jul 8 with 2024 viewsGuppy22

Ashes 2023 on 23:23 - Jul 7 by traininvain

You have hit the nail on the head, key moments have gone against us and the Aussies held their nerve. I’d much rather watch this version of England than have Dom Sibley batting for 7 hours to score 12 runs
Ashes 2023 on 08:41 - Jul 8 with 1987 viewsHunterhoop

But that’s not right. “Moments” have not just gone against England. England have dropped a ridiculous number of catches in five and a half innings so far, far more than Australia have. England have also conceded over double the number of extras. In tight games where you’re changing in the 4th innings, that makes a big difference. And finally, if England had selected the right sides, they would have almost certainly won one or both the first Tests.

The only reason England aren’t 2-0 up and on course to go 3-0 up is themselves.
Ashes 2023 on 09:45 - Jul 8 with 1933 viewsnumptydumpty

The fielding and catching has been consistently poor by England.

Even if it had been halfway decent, we would potentially be looking at clinching the series ourselves in the next couple of days.

Almost contagious !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ashes 2023 on 10:31 - Jul 8 with 1903 viewsconnell10

Ashes 2023 on 08:07 - Jul 8 by Guppy22

You have hit the nail on the head, key moments have gone against us and the Aussies held their nerve. I’d much rather watch this version of England than have Dom Sibley batting for 7 hours to score 12 runs

You can't play one day cricket at test level.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ashes 2023 on 13:11 - Jul 8 with 1838 viewsMatch82

Ashes 2023 on 08:41 - Jul 8 by Hunterhoop

But that’s not right. “Moments” have not just gone against England. England have dropped a ridiculous number of catches in five and a half innings so far, far more than Australia have. England have also conceded over double the number of extras. In tight games where you’re changing in the 4th innings, that makes a big difference. And finally, if England had selected the right sides, they would have almost certainly won one or both the first Tests.

Not just England though. Australia have also had a number of missed opportunities, dropped catches, wickets off no balls etc.

So far this has been an incredible series which could have ended up after this test 3-0 to Australia 3-0 to England or anywhere in between. Australia have probably been a touch better overall in their efficiency with taking their chances, but all of these games have been on a knife edge
Ashes 2023 on 13:27 - Jul 8 with 1810 viewsdenhamhoop2

Listening to TMS and Martin Lewis is on and is giving great insights into what his day to day life entails and love his opinion on how our Political system really is not useful when it comes to actually achieving things long term
Ashes 2023 on 19:46 - Jul 8 with 1669 viewsterryb

Ashes 2023 on 09:44 - Jul 6 by robith

I don't really get the Bairstow keeping thing, because his form prior to injury was enough to have him and Foakes. And with the analysis that happens at pro level they can surely see his keeping has been sub par.

Tongue being dropped is odd, would much prefer to bin Robinson and his nude nuts tbh. Wood is positive though, the Aussies seem to struggle with Tongue's extra pace.

Anyway, very excited. Driving to Sheffield on Saturday morning, watch the day's play in the boozer, then early train to Leeds for what should be an epic day 4. Did I mention I now have a cool box with a cheese board lid? Let's have it

Enjoy tomorrow robith.
Ashes 2023 on 20:06 - Jul 8 with 1636 viewsqpr1976

Ashes 2023 on 08:41 - Jul 8 by Hunterhoop

Not convinced we should be 2 up atm.
1st test, we should have won, to score 72 with 2 wkts left is excellent by Cummins, but smarter bowling (not Root) would have been key.
2nd test, Despite Bairstows naivety I think Australia were better and good for their win.
Tomorrow will be interesting, I still make Aussies favourites…. Just!

But Foakes should be our Wk. You can’t have your Keeper dropping that many catches, missing stumpings, giving away twice as many Byes and wandering before the ball is dead. Carey has outplayed him behind the stumps. No problem with him being selected for his batting (ahead of Lawrence ?) but Stokes has said many times Foakes is the Best in the World.

Great series so far though.
Ashes 2023 on 21:32 - Jul 8 with 1545 viewsnix

Ashes 2023 on 20:06 - Jul 8 by qpr1976

Not convinced we should be 2 up atm.
1st test, we should have won, to score 72 with 2 wkts left is excellent by Cummins, but smarter bowling (not Root) would have been key.
2nd test, Despite Bairstows naivety I think Australia were better and good for their win.
Tomorrow will be interesting, I still make Aussies favourites…. Just!

But Foakes should be our Wk. You can’t have your Keeper dropping that many catches, missing stumpings, giving away twice as many Byes and wandering before the ball is dead. Carey has outplayed him behind the stumps. No problem with him being selected for his batting (ahead of Lawrence ?) but Stokes has said many times Foakes is the Best in the World.

Great series so far though.

I'm afraid picking Bairstow as wicketkeeper has been a large part of the difference between the sides. I can't understand why they picked him again after the first two tests.

Too many mistakes behind the stumps I'm afraid.
Ashes 2023 on 22:00 - Jul 8 with 1497 viewsPhilmyRs

Ashes 2023 on 21:32 - Jul 8 by nix

I'm afraid picking Bairstow as wicketkeeper has been a large part of the difference between the sides. I can't understand why they picked him again after the first two tests.

Too many mistakes behind the stumps I'm afraid.

Maybe. But it’s a tight run chase, going to be interesting. Let’s see what having Bairstow at 6 will do. It’s his chance to make amends.
Ashes 2023 on 23:58 - Jul 8 with 1409 viewsMatch82

Ashes 2023 on 22:00 - Jul 8 by PhilmyRs

Maybe. But it’s a tight run chase, going to be interesting. Let’s see what having Bairstow at 6 will do. It’s his chance to make amends.

Really does feel like that's how it's shaping up doesn't it? We'll put another 20 or 30 on for the first wicket and get to something like 160-4. Bairstow to come out and smash 50 to take us to victory as a couple fall around him, or to be out for single digits as we collapse 50 short.
Ashes 2023 on 08:52 - Jul 9 with 1268 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 13:27 - Jul 8 by denhamhoop2

Listening to TMS and Martin Lewis is on and is giving great insights into what his day to day life entails and love his opinion on how our Political system really is not useful when it comes to actually achieving things long term

Extremely controversial cricket fan opinion - I am not a fan of TMS.

Embarrassing "banter" from Tuffers et al, far too much focus (as ever, used to be cake, buses, pigeons) on anything other than cricket, and the proven-to-be-odious Agnew taking time out from writing articles for the bbc that every two lines contain "as I said yesterday" or "when I was playing" or "I did this, I did that"......

Yeah, used to be magical back in the day, but a right pain these days. Stick it on in the car and you are guaranteed to shout "BUT WHAT IS THE SCORE?" inside five minutes of listening to the schtick or tales of when Tuffers was asleep on tour blah blah or HA HA - Agnew bowled slowly - HA HA.

Never told a cricket fan this opinion and had someone agree, I must be odd. :-)

Sky, on the other hand (when it doesn't fall into the Nasser's a bit tight, Athers is McGrath's bunny HA HA HA banter) is excellent, apart from when it thinks we are Australian and has every commentator as an Aussie.
Ashes 2023 on 09:12 - Jul 9 with 1241 viewsHunterhoop

Sky’s pundit set is far superior to TMS, although TMS does have some excellent professional journalists on it (Alison Mitchell, Jim Maxwell, the analyst fella who does the stats, etc).

Sky pay the big bucks so get pick of the ex-pros. There is a reason why Vaughan, Tufnell, etc don’t end up on Sky but TMS. With Vaughan it’s because he’s an awful bloke and I don’t thing the England captains in the periods around him like him. With Tufnell, Finn, etc, whilst they are well meaning, friendly blokes, they aren’t the sharpest and don’t have the level of insight Athers, Hussain, Butcher, Ponting, Warne (when he was still with us), Strauss, etc, add.

TMS isn’t all bad, but Agnew is a not a nice bloke and loves himself, and Vaughan is bordering on unlistenable. With Sky, the insight and analysis is miles ahead.

Whilst cricket should be on free-to-air, Sky’s cricket coverage is outstanding. It’s the best of any sport they cover and some of, if not, the best sports coverage in the world.
Ashes 2023 on 09:28 - Jul 9 with 1215 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 09:12 - Jul 9 by Hunterhoop

Sky’s pundit set is far superior to TMS, although TMS does have some excellent professional journalists on it (Alison Mitchell, Jim Maxwell, the analyst fella who does the stats, etc).

Sky pay the big bucks so get pick of the ex-pros. There is a reason why Vaughan, Tufnell, etc don’t end up on Sky but TMS. With Vaughan it’s because he’s an awful bloke and I don’t thing the England captains in the periods around him like him. With Tufnell, Finn, etc, whilst they are well meaning, friendly blokes, they aren’t the sharpest and don’t have the level of insight Athers, Hussain, Butcher, Ponting, Warne (when he was still with us), Strauss, etc, add.

TMS isn’t all bad, but Agnew is a not a nice bloke and loves himself, and Vaughan is bordering on unlistenable. With Sky, the insight and analysis is miles ahead.

Whilst cricket should be on free-to-air, Sky’s cricket coverage is outstanding. It’s the best of any sport they cover and some of, if not, the best sports coverage in the world.

Yes, yes, yes, great points.

Vaughan is so smug.

I find it depressing how many of my cricketing heroes, who I absolutely loved and defended to the hilt when they were playing for England, have turned out personally to be complete ...... Vaughan, Swann, Botham, etc

Would never have guessed I would end up loving and admiring Shane Warne over them.

Makes me worry that Joe Root is actually really horrible.
Ashes 2023 on 09:49 - Jul 9 with 1183 viewseastside_r

Ashes 2023 on 09:12 - Jul 9 by Hunterhoop

I understand what you and GB86 are saying but it is a bit like comparing apples with oranges.

I was brought up watching the BBC TV (blanket) coverage of the 1970s and 80s and that’s how I came to understand and appreciate the technical side of the game. I loved Ritchie Benaud’s work. Sky’s technical coverage is exponentially better because of the advances in technology.

TMS has always been a different beast. At its best it has that lyrical quality that is difficult to define. It is (and has always been?) more character-driven. So if you don’t like the characters, you won’t like the product.

I for example could not abide Henry Blofeld and found his witterings tedious and I could go through which of the current presenters that I do and don’t like, but that’s not the point.

I think it is possible to appreciate what both media bring to the game.
Ashes 2023 on 09:54 - Jul 9 with 1166 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 09:49 - Jul 9 by eastside_r

I understand what you and GB86 are saying but it is a bit like comparing apples with oranges.

I was brought up watching the BBC TV (blanket) coverage of the 1970s and 80s and that’s how I came to understand and appreciate the technical side of the game. I loved Ritchie Benaud’s work. Sky’s technical coverage is exponentially better because of the advances in technology.

TMS has always been a different beast. At its best it has that lyrical quality that is difficult to define. It is (and has always been?) more character-driven. So if you don’t like the characters, you won’t like the product.

I for example could not abide Henry Blofeld and found his witterings tedious and I could go through which of the current presenters that I do and don’t like, but that’s not the point.

I think it is possible to appreciate what both media bring to the game.

True - perhaps a fairer way of looking at it.

Blofeld summed up everything I hate about the perception of cricket. I thought he was awful.

"McCague. Up to the wicket, he bowls, hit on the pad....oh look at the No.74 going down the Woolworth Road carrying a cake, eating a pigeon"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024