Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 89772 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 18:14 - Aug 1 with 2638 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 17:33 - Aug 1 by robith

Sorry champ, I wasn't meaning to comes across as digging you out personally, more using it as a jumping off point as I feel there's some outcome bias clouding the views. Putting them in for four overs is a good strategy, they just didn't execute it. The declaration is almost redundant when you drop so many chances and overstep massively when getting a guy out sub 50 who then makes 140+

Absolutely agree with this Robith.
See Barney Ronay's awful guff today about Woakes in the Guardian as another example.
The people who got hung up about Bazball and what it (supposedly) is were not the players, the captain or the coaches, but the media who got all in a tiz about it, and some supposedly bright commentators never seemed to quite get it. The same think England tempered their approach after the second test, which is a nonsense. The third and fifth tests could quite easily have gone the other way, as could the first and second. As you say, it was down to execution.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 09:56 - Aug 2 with 2487 viewsrobith

Ashes 2023 on 18:14 - Aug 1 by Antti_Heinola

Absolutely agree with this Robith.
See Barney Ronay's awful guff today about Woakes in the Guardian as another example.
The people who got hung up about Bazball and what it (supposedly) is were not the players, the captain or the coaches, but the media who got all in a tiz about it, and some supposedly bright commentators never seemed to quite get it. The same think England tempered their approach after the second test, which is a nonsense. The third and fifth tests could quite easily have gone the other way, as could the first and second. As you say, it was down to execution.

Well similarly everyone says England should've declared earlier in the 4th test, but what in the way the Aussies, Marnus especially, batted in the 3rd innings gave the indication England could've gotten them out sub 150 when they weren't allowed to bowl pace for most of it?
Ashes 2023 on 10:01 - Aug 2 with 2469 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 09:56 - Aug 2 by robith

Well similarly everyone says England should've declared earlier in the 4th test, but what in the way the Aussies, Marnus especially, batted in the 3rd innings gave the indication England could've gotten them out sub 150 when they weren't allowed to bowl pace for most of it?

if they had declared earlier they'd have needed to bat again which made winning the game impossible, only chance they had was get a 200+ lead and try and bowl them out quickly

I thought it was a really good series, shame we didn't get the decider at the Oval but every session felt big and went one way then the other. Not as good as 2005 imo but one of the best since then and possibly the last for a lot of these players.
Ashes 2023 on 15:26 - Aug 2 with 2368 viewsMrSheen

Academic exercise, but how many of the class of 2023 would have been good enough to break into their country's 2005 side? Not many I think...Smith for Clarke or Martyn, Cummins and perhaps Starc for Lee and perhaps Gillespie. For England, Root for Bell, Wood for Simon Jones and either Broad or Woakes perhaps for Hoggard. Ironically, Bairstow might have nudged ahead of Geraint Jones given both were iffy keepers in ahead of the competition for their batting.
Ashes 2023 on 15:44 - Aug 2 with 2331 viewsNov77

Ashes 2023 on 15:26 - Aug 2 by MrSheen

Academic exercise, but how many of the class of 2023 would have been good enough to break into their country's 2005 side? Not many I think...Smith for Clarke or Martyn, Cummins and perhaps Starc for Lee and perhaps Gillespie. For England, Root for Bell, Wood for Simon Jones and either Broad or Woakes perhaps for Hoggard. Ironically, Bairstow might have nudged ahead of Geraint Jones given both were iffy keepers in ahead of the competition for their batting.

I was pondering this same question yesterday. Bairstow would certainly give you more with the bat than Jones but I don’t remember his keeping being as bad Bairstow’s.

smith and root you’d have to find room for, but I’m not sure you could even find room for stokes

England 2005 vs England 2023 would be some game to watch.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 16:51 - Aug 2 with 2271 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 15:44 - Aug 2 by Nov77

I was pondering this same question yesterday. Bairstow would certainly give you more with the bat than Jones but I don’t remember his keeping being as bad Bairstow’s.

smith and root you’d have to find room for, but I’m not sure you could even find room for stokes

England 2005 vs England 2023 would be some game to watch.

I’m not sure Stokes is worthy of a place in the 2023 team unless he recovers his form from before this series.Injuries are really taking their toll on him,and I wonder if he’ll ever be the player he was.
Ashes 2023 on 16:57 - Aug 2 with 2259 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 16:51 - Aug 2 by stowmarketrange

I’m not sure Stokes is worthy of a place in the 2023 team unless he recovers his form from before this series.Injuries are really taking their toll on him,and I wonder if he’ll ever be the player he was.

He still produced some really good innings with the bat during the series, almost pulled off a great comeback at lords
Ashes 2023 on 17:14 - Aug 2 with 2245 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 16:57 - Aug 2 by daveB

He still produced some really good innings with the bat during the series, almost pulled off a great comeback at lords

Sorry I just looked at his scores again and I agree with you.Maybe I should’ve done that before I posted,but we will need his bowling to get back to where it was if we are losing Broad and Jimmy.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 18:53 - Aug 2 with 2209 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes 2023 on 16:51 - Aug 2 by stowmarketrange

Oh my gosh, i couldn't disagree more Stow....Stokes should be first pick for his captaincy alone (eg. Brearly) but his batting was super destructive at critical moments, but we do miss his bowling.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes 2023 on 19:31 - Aug 2 with 2182 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 18:53 - Aug 2 by BlackCrowe

Oh my gosh, i couldn't disagree more Stow....Stokes should be first pick for his captaincy alone (eg. Brearly) but his batting was super destructive at critical moments, but we do miss his bowling.

See my apology above mate.It was a case of posting before checking the stats.
Ashes 2023 on 10:33 - Aug 4 with 2078 viewsrobith

The current problem that maybe isn't being discussed about Stokes is that he can't bowl, so you end up with Bairstow keeping to get the extra bowler in. Hopefully this knee surgery he's going to have will sort him out, or he finally cracks out his off spin
Ashes 2023 on 12:18 - Aug 4 with 2014 viewsPhilmyRs

Ashes 2023 on 10:33 - Aug 4 by robith

The current problem that maybe isn't being discussed about Stokes is that he can't bowl, so you end up with Bairstow keeping to get the extra bowler in. Hopefully this knee surgery he's going to have will sort him out, or he finally cracks out his off spin

In an unexpected twist though didn’t that actually help us win? We could afford to take a gamble with a bowling allrounder in Woakes and have Bairstow stepping up as a proper batter again and keeper. Ed Smith has written a lot on this about future of England is to have a varied bowling attack rather than too many batsmen. From 7 to 11 we actually had 5 bowlers plus Root option. Meant the Aussie tactics of trying to tire us out and be as boring as anything didn’t work as we had decent bowling change options to freshen things up. Ideally Ahmed will make the transition to number 7 and spinner for us and then 4 seamers backing him up. Reckon Stokes will move into solely batsmen/captain now. If we’d been level or winning when Stokes got injured I’d have been worried we’d move to the traditional 6 batsmen and keeper and then 4 bowlers, we showed always having 5 (even if it weakens the batting) is worth it because of the options it gives us.
Ashes 2023 on 15:48 - Sep 13 with 1737 viewsMrSheen

Stokes 173 not out off 117 balls. Just the eight sixes so far.
Ashes 2023 on 19:12 - Sep 13 with 1625 viewsMalintabuk

In the Bedser stand and was pretty gutted that Brook was not playing. I wasn't really happy that Stokes just walked back in and possibly at the omission of Brook, but what a knock. Just to prove that I should never be near anywhere near a selection panel I didn't want Malan over Brook either...
Great day out, getting a bit chilly now. The Kiwis are having a bit of a face saving knock from Phillips, but those 8 straight overs from Woakes was great bowling.
Ashes 2023 on 20:41 - Sep 13 with 1599 viewsflynnbo

Ashes 2023 on 19:12 - Sep 13 by Malintabuk

In the Bedser stand and was pretty gutted that Brook was not playing. I wasn't really happy that Stokes just walked back in and possibly at the omission of Brook, but what a knock. Just to prove that I should never be near anywhere near a selection panel I didn't want Malan over Brook either...
Great day out, getting a bit chilly now. The Kiwis are having a bit of a face saving knock from Phillips, but those 8 straight overs from Woakes was great bowling.

A great day out and was privileged to be there to see a superb record breaking innings by Stokes.
Ashes 2023 on 21:17 - Sep 13 with 1566 viewslightwaterhoop

I was at the Oval today and was a bit despondent when Root and Bairstow were out early on and with no Harry Brook playing i thought i had wasted my 90 quid , but as happens in sport it was well worth it in the end .Great to see that innings from Stokes,
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 21:22]
Ashes 2023 on 00:14 - Sep 14 with 1491 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 21:17 - Sep 13 by lightwaterhoop

I was at the Oval today and was a bit despondent when Root and Bairstow were out early on and with no Harry Brook playing i thought i had wasted my 90 quid , but as happens in sport it was well worth it in the end .Great to see that innings from Stokes,
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 21:22]

I went too.We just got to our seats in time for the 1st ball,and wished we hadn’t.What a knock by Stokes though.Worth the admission money on its own.
Ashes 2023 on 06:49 - Sep 14 with 1431 viewsHoopstar

Just sat down in the Finn stand right behind the fielder when Bairstow calmly chipped the first ball to him.

A great knock from Stokes, one of his sixes landed two rows behind us (bloke dropped him) which always adds a bit of excitement.

A privilege to see Stokes do that. Shame it was never a contest as NZ after he got going - not seen a more demoralised looking batting performance for a while after they'd lost the first two!
Ashes 2023 on 15:45 - Sep 14 with 1356 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 19:12 - Sep 13 by Malintabuk

Proof again that Woakes should play every England home game - Tests, ODI, whatever.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes 2023 on 16:15 - Sep 15 with 1242 viewsMrSheen

83-ball 174 for Klaasen of SA against Australia...13 sixes, 13 fours.
Ashes 2023 on 16:17 - Sep 15 with 1234 viewsR_from_afar

Ashes 2023 on 16:15 - Sep 15 by MrSheen

83-ball 174 for Klaasen of SA against Australia...13 sixes, 13 fours.

Wow, he didn't need to do much running between the wickets!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ashes 2023 on 12:14 - Sep 27 with 1032 viewsMrSheen

Dark days for Mongolian cricket (no, me neither).
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/nepal-s-kushal-malla-dipendra-singh-airee-sco
Dipendra SIngh Airee of Nepal scored a 9-ball 50 after coming in with 11 balls left in the innings.
Ashes 2023 on 15:22 - Sep 27 with 931 viewsloftus77

Ashes 2023 on 12:14 - Sep 27 by MrSheen

Dark days for Mongolian cricket (no, me neither).
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/nepal-s-kushal-malla-dipendra-singh-airee-sco
Dipendra SIngh Airee of Nepal scored a 9-ball 50 after coming in with 11 balls left in the innings.

Yes, I saw this.

Not exactly Kenny Barrington, Tavare or Boycott territory, I would argue...the feared Mongolian pace attack probably needs to tighten its line somewhat.
Ashes 2023 on 22:03 - Sep 27 with 844 viewsMrSheen

Ashes 2023 on 15:22 - Sep 27 by loftus77

Yes, I saw this.

Not exactly Kenny Barrington, Tavare or Boycott territory, I would argue...the feared Mongolian pace attack probably needs to tighten its line somewhat.

Airee’s innings: wide, wide, 6,6,6,6,6,6,2,6,6,2.
Ashes 2023 on 23:27 - Sep 27 with 796 viewsSuperhoops2808

On a side note and slightly off - As a Kent Supporter, who's going to beat the drop between us and Middlesex - I am sure some Middlesex supporters here must be a little nervous after two strong days
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024