Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many football games have you been to? 20:43 - Jul 12 with 636 viewsdirk_doone

In the case of some of you, like Nick, Frannie and Pat, I'm guessing it must be thousands.

What got me thinking about this was reading Dave Roberts' book '32 Programmes'. He collected 1,134 in the years he lived in England but spent much of his life in New Zealand.
[Post edited 12 Jul 20:50]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

How many football games have you been to? on 20:57 - Jul 12 with 585 viewsSaintNick

its all going to come down to age and what you call football games, if you take first team games for Saints, I first started in 1972, so if you take 52 years going to virtually every home game and an average of 25-26 home games a season including cup games that would mean I have been to about in rough figures I must have seen around 1,400 competitive home games, plus friendlies, I may be a bit conservative saying 25 a season.

On the away front it is more difficult . this will be my 50th season of going away, so in the early years I was still at school so didn't go to many and family things have meant some seasons I have been lees in some years, but if I took an average of 15 a year, against trying to balance up my early years etc that would make over 1,000 away games, but this could vary a bit.

If I throw in games played on neutral grounds ie semi's & finals, I would say I wouldn't be far off 2,500 competitive games by the end of the season coming and you could add about 100 friendlies both at home and away .

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

How many football games have you been to? on 21:06 - Jul 12 with 571 viewsdirk_doone

How many football games have you been to? on 20:57 - Jul 12 by SaintNick

its all going to come down to age and what you call football games, if you take first team games for Saints, I first started in 1972, so if you take 52 years going to virtually every home game and an average of 25-26 home games a season including cup games that would mean I have been to about in rough figures I must have seen around 1,400 competitive home games, plus friendlies, I may be a bit conservative saying 25 a season.

On the away front it is more difficult . this will be my 50th season of going away, so in the early years I was still at school so didn't go to many and family things have meant some seasons I have been lees in some years, but if I took an average of 15 a year, against trying to balance up my early years etc that would make over 1,000 away games, but this could vary a bit.

If I throw in games played on neutral grounds ie semi's & finals, I would say I wouldn't be far off 2,500 competitive games by the end of the season coming and you could add about 100 friendlies both at home and away .

This post has been edited by an administrator

That's about what I expected. I lived abroad for much of my life so I haven't been to anywhere near as many as you have. I used to buy programmes regularly when I started going in the 60s and had stacks of them but stopped buying then after a few years, Fortunately I've kept diaries since 1980 but unfortunately that's when I left England, So, I only have 628 matches that I can account for but the total is probably not much over 700. The great things about programmes or diaries is that they bring back memories, which otherwise would be lost. Although I must admit that even when I look at the list of games I've been to, I still can't remember much about most of them.

By the way, have you read any of Dave Roberts' books? If you haven't, I recommend them to any football fan. "The Bromley Boys" is the best, and Bromley getting promoted to the Football League for the first time in their history is what got me started on them.
[Post edited 12 Jul 21:14]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

How many football games have you been to? on 21:16 - Jul 12 with 543 viewsSaintNick

How many football games have you been to? on 21:06 - Jul 12 by dirk_doone

That's about what I expected. I lived abroad for much of my life so I haven't been to anywhere near as many as you have. I used to buy programmes regularly when I started going in the 60s and had stacks of them but stopped buying then after a few years, Fortunately I've kept diaries since 1980 but unfortunately that's when I left England, So, I only have 628 matches that I can account for but the total is probably not much over 700. The great things about programmes or diaries is that they bring back memories, which otherwise would be lost. Although I must admit that even when I look at the list of games I've been to, I still can't remember much about most of them.

By the way, have you read any of Dave Roberts' books? If you haven't, I recommend them to any football fan. "The Bromley Boys" is the best, and Bromley getting promoted to the Football League for the first time in their history is what got me started on them.
[Post edited 12 Jul 21:14]

ill take a look at Dave Roberts books, sadly I have never kept a diary, so I havent a clue how many I have been too.

Add 700 Liverpool games ( I am joking here just winding up the crowd) plus various other none Saints games I have been too, including England and it must add a 100 or so

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024