Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lawrie McMenemy 88 10:27 - Sep 27 with 1326 viewsgrumpy

The best manager in my time.
Brought so many great players to the club and so many great victories over big clubs.
Thanks Lawrie
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 11:22 - Sep 27 with 1264 viewsGRIM

Great times under Laurie & we had some truly great players.
Laurie was not a great football coach but what he did was he brought in experienced quality players that didn't need coaching.
You couldn't tell the likes of Alan Ball + Kevin Keegan + Peter Osgood how to play the game.
That's part of the problem with the game today, players are over coached & told what to do, there's not much freedom for players to express themselves & & show their natural talent.
That's what worries me about Tyler Dibling, don't let the coaches try to change his game, he's not a defender & never will be so just let him concentrate on his natural game of taking defenders on & scoring goals.
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 13:25 - Sep 27 with 1110 viewsfelly1

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 11:22 - Sep 27 by GRIM

Great times under Laurie & we had some truly great players.
Laurie was not a great football coach but what he did was he brought in experienced quality players that didn't need coaching.
You couldn't tell the likes of Alan Ball + Kevin Keegan + Peter Osgood how to play the game.
That's part of the problem with the game today, players are over coached & told what to do, there's not much freedom for players to express themselves & & show their natural talent.
That's what worries me about Tyler Dibling, don't let the coaches try to change his game, he's not a defender & never will be so just let him concentrate on his natural game of taking defenders on & scoring goals.

Agree, best manager and era in Saints history.

Don't agree about the players being over coached.
Yes there were great individual flair players in the past but the players overall are far better, technically and physically.

As much as I have great memories of the 80s supporting Saints the standard of football when you revisit games via YouTube is woeful.

Slow and endless long balls pumped down the channels or straight up the big man up top.

It's like watching Eastleigh now.
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 14:36 - Sep 27 with 1054 viewsgrumpy

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 13:25 - Sep 27 by felly1

Yes there were great individual flair players in the past but the players overall are far better, technically and physically.

As much as I have great memories of the 80s supporting Saints the standard of football when you revisit games via YouTube is woeful.

Slow and endless long balls pumped down the channels or straight up the big man up top.

I wouldn’t have described the football as woeful.
You don’t beat the big clubs as regularly as we did by playing like that.
Playing down the channels and up to the big man compared to watching the ball going endlessly sideways,I know what I prefer.
Trying to walk the ball into the net is fine if you have the players who can achieve that but if you haven’t it’s like watching paint dry.
[Post edited 27 Sep 14:43]
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 15:48 - Sep 27 with 1008 viewsLondonSaint76

An excellent Saints manager in his time and I have fond memories of some great games at The Dell and of course 1st May 76. Had the pleasure of meeting him at a London Saints ex-players evening in central London. As he was so good at signing big name players I asked him if there was ever one that got away - Colin Todd was his instant response, apparently his missus flatly refused to move to the south coast so the move fell through. We did talk about what it was like coaching the like of Bally & Keegan and he just smiled and said that he mostly left the tactical side of things to John Mortimore. He reckoned Mortimore was as good as any other coach you could name and better than a few Div 1 managers back in the day - as he pointed out, how many other Div 1 coaches could get the job managing Benfica? Fair point.
[Post edited 27 Sep 15:52]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 16:01 - Sep 27 with 983 viewsWints76

He was on my train about 4/5 years ago and we were having a chat. Fair to say that he is getting on a bit and that was coming across. I spoke to him about when I first started going to the match and how great it was watching the likes of Moran, Wallace, Williams and Wright. Instantly, he turned back in to the housewife's favourite of that early 80s period and was the larger than life character we knew. He told me the story of Moran playing for Sarisbury Sparks and the promise of new boots if he scored a hatrick. A well known story from the era, but he was telling me! It was a great moment for me and you could tell the love he had for his team.
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 17:48 - Sep 27 with 881 views1885_SFC

Smashing approachable fella. Met him aboard HMS Southampton in 1981 and had a chat with him for a few minutes when he and the team paid a visit.

Let's hope we don't end up the same fate as HMS Southampton. I'm currently shaving with blades made from the old girl...

Old School is Cool

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 18:38 - Sep 27 with 854 viewsUTS1885

Must be nearly a year now i sent a letter / email to the club suggesting changing britannia road to McMenemy way. Never got a reply back. Criteria has changed on doing road name changes, it involves more those that live in the road. So if anything is to happen, it will need to be done before the flats are built.

[Post edited 27 Sep 18:42]
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 19:57 - Sep 27 with 786 viewsgrumpy

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 18:38 - Sep 27 by UTS1885

Must be nearly a year now i sent a letter / email to the club suggesting changing britannia road to McMenemy way. Never got a reply back. Criteria has changed on doing road name changes, it involves more those that live in the road. So if anything is to happen, it will need to be done before the flats are built.

Looks good.
Login to get fewer ads

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 20:31 - Sep 27 with 746 viewssaintjeff52

Agree whole heartedly. He brought so many experienced Players to the Club. Mixed them with our own home grown talent. The football was enjoyable to watch.
Finished Runners Up in Division 1, behind the great Liverpool teams. Often played in the minor European Competitions. Two major Cup Finals at Wembley, FA Cup, and League Cup.
Blot on his copybook, He took us Down to the 2nd Division in his first Season.
We forgive him, as he brought us our One and Only Major Trophy, The FA Cup in 1976.
I hope he enjoyed his 88th Birthday. A True Southampton Football Club Legend..
Thanks for everything Lawrie❤️
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 23:20 - Sep 27 with 576 viewshedgeend61

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 13:25 - Sep 27 by felly1

Players fitness levels of the 70's and 80's are a million miles away from what they are now, players then spent more time in pubs and betting shops than training.
If the full backs went up, they wouldn't be able to get back.

Defenders defended then never had the skill to pass along the back or accept the ball under pressure, that wasn't their job, that's why they generally booted it long most of the time.
Tbf, the pitches were terrible back then, (Derby played on sand and mud) many didn't have any grass come January so they wouldn't have been suited to the passing game.

For the youngsters who've never seen the 1970 Fa Cup final take a look at this, the game now would have been abandoned due to so many players being sent off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 08:40 - Sep 28 with 326 viewsJoiedevivre

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 23:20 - Sep 27 by hedgeend61

Players fitness levels of the 70's and 80's are a million miles away from what they are now, players then spent more time in pubs and betting shops than training.
If the full backs went up, they wouldn't be able to get back.

Defenders defended then never had the skill to pass along the back or accept the ball under pressure, that wasn't their job, that's why they generally booted it long most of the time.
Tbf, the pitches were terrible back then, (Derby played on sand and mud) many didn't have any grass come January so they wouldn't have been suited to the passing game.

For the youngsters who've never seen the 1970 Fa Cup final take a look at this, the game now would have been abandoned due to so many players being sent off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Never seen that before, though have heard of it mainly for Osgood. Crap football but more enjoyment somehow (and thats without any nostalgia attatched from me). Bremner, God rest his soul, was a little "annoyance" on the pitch, wasn't he?
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 12:11 - Sep 28 with 214 viewsGRIM

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 08:40 - Sep 28 by Joiedevivre

Never seen that before, though have heard of it mainly for Osgood. Crap football but more enjoyment somehow (and thats without any nostalgia attatched from me). Bremner, God rest his soul, was a little "annoyance" on the pitch, wasn't he?

Every team had to have a Billy Bremner in those days.
Someone that could put their foot in & get in the oppositions face.
But BB could also play a bit, he was a perfect fit for those games but the game has changed so much that he wouldn't get a game today, its developed into a technical game in which you have to be a good athlete.
And it's now a " No Contact " sport.
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 13:14 - Sep 28 with 168 viewsmushinexile

Better technically and physicaly? Maybe, but where is the flair?
Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 13:48 - Sep 28 with 134 viewssaintmark1976

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 16:01 - Sep 27 by Wints76

He was on my train about 4/5 years ago and we were having a chat. Fair to say that he is getting on a bit and that was coming across. I spoke to him about when I first started going to the match and how great it was watching the likes of Moran, Wallace, Williams and Wright. Instantly, he turned back in to the housewife's favourite of that early 80s period and was the larger than life character we knew. He told me the story of Moran playing for Sarisbury Sparks and the promise of new boots if he scored a hatrick. A well known story from the era, but he was telling me! It was a great moment for me and you could tell the love he had for his team.

Chatted with him in the Dell car park after we had drawn 3-3 at West Ham to secure another survival in the top flight.

To say that he was happy is an understatement. Hopefully he had a lift home.

Poll: On which date will we be relegated ?

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 13:57 - Sep 28 with 127 viewsLondonSaint76

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 12:11 - Sep 28 by GRIM

Every team had to have a Billy Bremner in those days.
Someone that could put their foot in & get in the oppositions face.
But BB could also play a bit, he was a perfect fit for those games but the game has changed so much that he wouldn't get a game today, its developed into a technical game in which you have to be a good athlete.
And it's now a " No Contact " sport.

Our Billy Bremner for a few season was Brian O’Neill. I can still see him now holding onto the cuffs of his long sleeved shirt in the palms of his hands when he played - and with his socks rolled down around his ankles and no shin pads!
Sadly, a few years ago he was badly beaten up by some young thugs. Although he pulled through, the incident has robbed him of most of his precious footballing memories from his days with Burnley, Saints and Huddersfield. By the sound of it he was lucky to pull through but it has badly affected his memory.

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 14:24 - Sep 28 with 111 views1ASIN12

Lawrie McMenemy 88 on 18:38 - Sep 27 by UTS1885

Road names are down to the City council are they not? Did you write to them?
[Post edited 28 Sep 14:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024